Sunny Valley OR track 1960's-1970's

just James
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2016 8:41pm
I currently live in Sunny Valley, and was wondering if any of you old geezers ever raced at the track that used to be here across the freeway from the covered bridge. I can remember going to it once when I was very young, probably around 1970.
|
Murph32
2/7/2016 7:02am
Sure did...they had a motocross track and a flat track. We used to mke the trip up there from Eureka and race. I was on a xr75 so was about 12 or so at the time. Took a little digging but found this....

just James
2/7/2016 7:51am
That's cool Murph! I can remember one of my older brothers racing there, but the track was long gone by the time I started racing. Seems like someone tried starting up a track right next door to where the original one was, in the late 70's or early 80's, but it didn't last long.
Tumblin
2/7/2016 8:00am
I always had heard about their flat track, but I was mostly into moto. Although I loved to rail off the fence at my own home Circle and TT track in Willow Creek CA. I finally made the trek with best moto buds Lance Burgess and Dana Bray. We got there late... missed practice lined up for the first heat and I commenced to exiting turn one drifting directly into 7' deep thicket of briars. Seems it wasn't really an "oval" but more if a "D" shaped track...get there early-walk the track kids.
Sunny Valley later resurrected the facility as a MX track for one or two seasons around '85. It was close to me and a fun time. But I dont think either of these period events held the numbers of the 60's and 70's, (we also had big numbers 5 hours south in WC and would pull many of the same steel shoes).
Lance and Dana are still bouncing off some of heaven's own cushion retaining fences given it a taste of moto. I miss those days and really miss both of my friends. God Speed Popeye and Big D.
Murph32
2/7/2016 8:43am
The flat track was cool...as I remember it was in a partial grove of trees and most was shaded..dirt was good..trying be be Kenny Roberts on my xr. Memories right there Trumblin...lot's of laps around Willow Creek too. That wooden TT jump was awesome...still have pictures off that thing. Lance and I were buddies as kids...kind of went our seperate ways before High School. Reconnected when we were racing 30 Vets and he was coming down to Sac area to race. Sad ending for sure, went back up there for his service and memorial race. Lot's of good memories

The Shop

Tumblin
2/7/2016 9:41am
Murph32 wrote:
The flat track was cool...as I remember it was in a partial grove of trees and most was shaded..dirt was good..trying be be Kenny Roberts on...
The flat track was cool...as I remember it was in a partial grove of trees and most was shaded..dirt was good..trying be be Kenny Roberts on my xr. Memories right there Trumblin...lot's of laps around Willow Creek too. That wooden TT jump was awesome...still have pictures off that thing. Lance and I were buddies as kids...kind of went our seperate ways before High School. Reconnected when we were racing 30 Vets and he was coming down to Sac area to race. Sad ending for sure, went back up there for his service and memorial race. Lot's of good memories
Ah, that wooden ramp we called a jump...Lol

Murph32
2/7/2016 2:03pm
Haha! Thats awesome pic! Here's one sending the XR...
Btw...Randy? I remember you man...think we met again a few years back at Hangtown...my son and I were visiting with Danny V. and think you were there with some of the guys from up North. Here's a real trivia to this pic...those were Lances old Full Bore boots he gave me...still have them up in my garage...Tom Murphy

Tumblin
2/7/2016 9:34pm
Great photo Tom and good to hear from you!
Those boots were already broke in for riding Popeye loose, elbows up and knees out!
I was always envious of you, Burgess, Sample, Duggan, Coleman and the many others on those 70s &80s. It was always close and and fun races to watch. I started a little late after years of trying to convince the folks racing wouldn't kill me. That was my second year of racing, 16 & hanging off the back of a CZ400. Obviously I never died, nor broke anything...but I was most always a walking scab Lol. Let's catch up again at Hangtown.
Murph32
2/8/2016 4:39pm
Great to hear from you too! Awesome memories! My son and I were laughing at my xr pic...my profile pic is from Mammoth last year...I still ride like that at 54 lol. You ripped on that big CZ..I remember...whole lot of bike back then. We'll be at Hangtown for sure..son and I will race, then stay in the RV rest of the weekend...for sure we'll have to meet up.
loftyair
2/8/2016 5:11pm
Do you know of that sweet place somewhere down by cave junction? I was there in like 97, very cool riding area.
Tumblin
2/8/2016 7:26pm
We'll have a pack railing around the track again at Hangtown. Pretty sure that will be outside the fence for us. Good to hear you're still in pursuit Tom and better yet you have a racing buddy! My last race was back in August and back at the Acres.
Tumblin
2/8/2016 7:38pm
loftyair wrote:
Do you know of that sweet place somewhere down by cave junction? I was there in like 97, very cool riding area.
They ran a night race, maybe several in Kirby's Rodeo grounds just east of CJ in the mid 80's. Early 90's and several more miles east of Kirby on a Loggers property ( I remember his name as Sawyer, or Sour?) several seasons were ran on a much larger track with some sweet elevation changes. I enjoyed them both.
loftyair
2/8/2016 8:06pm
I remember the track was in the trees, had a bunch of hills and elevation, with jumps and whoops I think? But,bit was a long one too.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
2/8/2016 9:55pm
loftyair wrote:
Tumblin wrote:
They ran a night race, maybe several in Kirby's Rodeo grounds just east of CJ in the mid 80's. Early 90's and several more miles east...
They ran a night race, maybe several in Kirby's Rodeo grounds just east of CJ in the mid 80's. Early 90's and several more miles east of Kirby on a Loggers property ( I remember his name as Sawyer, or Sour?) several seasons were ran on a much larger track with some sweet elevation changes. I enjoyed them both.
The Kirby track was fun. Went down there on a quad when they had Gary Denton and an at least one of the Fields brothers there for a sort of big race. The place was super hard pack, would have sucked on a motorcycle IMO. Fun on a quad though, as it was like flat track corners, but on a hilly mx track. Always wanted to go back, but it was closed down shortly after. This was maybe 91 or so.
just James
2/9/2016 5:00am
loftyair wrote:
I drive right by there several times during my work day. Only rode there once or twice many years ago. There was a small flat track oval, and sort of a natural terrain MX track when I was there. It was pretty narrow, and over grown at that time. That was probably about 15 years ago.
Tumblin
2/9/2016 10:57am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 11:01am
Ha! I knew I had this and after reading threw I could almost taste that Grand Slam breakfast Lol! This well written story came out of one of our local entertainment magazines. I still try and get Larry away for a ride now and then, though his son Clark joined me recently.....those were the best of times. damn we need a more active racing community....and a track! Although I hear Clark's Branch had their second practice day this past weekend....enjoy
Tumblin
2/9/2016 11:00am
..and now for that upload....sheeesh

ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
2/9/2016 1:38pm
Tumblin wrote:
..and now for that upload....sheeesh[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/09/123274/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/09/123275/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/09/123276/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/09/123277/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/09/123278/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
..and now for that upload....sheeesh

Thanks for uploading!

That was the race with Gary Denton that I was remembering. IIRC, the track shut down not that long after.
Murph32
2/9/2016 5:01pm
Thats awesome...Oregon moto, love it! How about the track in Gold Beach...they called it Sixes. Crappy pic but was first expert win in 1978. Also a track in Brookings we raced too...fun times

wildbill
2/9/2016 9:05pm
Murph and Tumblin, this brings back some memories. In the spring of 76, Robert Remplos took me and my bud (at a ripe ole age of 11) to Sixes and we oohed and aahed him and his new RM-250 and 370. I still remember the throaty brapp his 370 made there, echoing off the upper trees.

Fast forward to 1983 at Powroll MX in Bend when some norcal hotshot named Hooper destroyed our pro class. Had to be Larry. I have pics somewhere.
jeffro503
2/9/2016 9:16pm
This thread has some extremely cool info in it. Most was before my time. I do however remember going to s track called " Mulky " and watching my buddy Broc Ross race. It closed down a few years later.
Tumblin
2/9/2016 9:48pm
Hey Bill, Larry and I drove out together in 83 to race that Powroll Track. You almost needed to pit for an air cleaner change those berms were so deep! Made my 480 feel like a 125 trying to pull through some of those. But man it was fun, heck they were all fun come to think about it. I was from Nor Cal, but Larry always lived in the Medford area. I moved up about that time and he kept me around as his practice dummy. I was about the fastest thing he had to practice with, but after a short run at the Nats in 78 I stepped away from racing until I discovered all the cool tracks on this end of the state and it was on again!
Sixes was too much fun, it had killer flow with a firm base to manage that Sand...Brookings was a bit weird with all the roots coming up in the track, you had to keep your feet off the ground or risk getting sucked off the back. But both were a great relief to the summer heat inland. Clarks Branch did it right and you can see how the Huffmans became so successful with stepping into Washougal, Ralph and Carolyn were/are hard workers!
I raced once in Medford on the Kirkland Track the year I got my Pro License and had a great race with Larry. I enjoyed the area and people so much that it was on my map for a future transfer. Hard to believe I've been an Oregonian for 34 years now, love the Rogue Valley. Just 3 hours from you and Bend, 2 hours to the beach and 5 hours to Hangtown or Washougal, great trails, rivers and lakes and only 40 minutes away from stepping into my ski bindings.
prozach
2/9/2016 10:16pm
I grew up riding nothing but many of those southern Oregon tracks. Kirby, and ckarks branch mainly. Living in eureka, those were the closest tracks around. I was young but remember an indoor track at gold beach I think also. Used to have tons of trophies from those tracks and one called Port orford?. Lance was the man. Pure wide open style. Never forget when they first started jumping the huge downhill at ckarks branch. Old man lance hucked that thing just like Highland and Huffman, pretty sure half the crowd was scared shitless thinking he was going to die.
wildbill
2/9/2016 10:22pm
Wasn't that Powroll track fun? When Dan Hartzfeld and Joe Merrill were building it, I showed up on my cherished PE-175. They were on a tractor and a loader, and didn't have a bike so I suggested we use my bike, and they said, "go for it." I broke the frame in numerous places, and had a blast doing it.

Mitch Kirkpatrick thought he could double that gully in the middle of the track. I wasn't fast enough to even think about shit like that then. The double out of the pumice pit was fun too. The whole track was amazing for Central Oregon, seeing as how I could poach it whenever I wanted. And what's this dirty air cleaner talk, after living in the high dez for a while, I thought every track was like that? Wink
prozach
2/9/2016 10:24pm

This is one of those Oregon tracks. Us kids didn't always get much love back then. We would be lined up with 3 wheelers and quads.
just James
2/10/2016 5:12am
prozach wrote:
I grew up riding nothing but many of those southern Oregon tracks. Kirby, and ckarks branch mainly. Living in eureka, those were the closest tracks around...
I grew up riding nothing but many of those southern Oregon tracks. Kirby, and ckarks branch mainly. Living in eureka, those were the closest tracks around. I was young but remember an indoor track at gold beach I think also. Used to have tons of trophies from those tracks and one called Port orford?. Lance was the man. Pure wide open style. Never forget when they first started jumping the huge downhill at ckarks branch. Old man lance hucked that thing just like Highland and Huffman, pretty sure half the crowd was scared shitless thinking he was going to die.
I raced quite a bit at Clarks Branch around 1980-82 or 83. I was never fast, and could usually be found towards the back of the pack in the 250 beginner class. Back when Ryan Huffman was on a KX60. That ski jump double was HUGE for the time. Good times, and it seemed like there was always a good turn out at those races. I can remember an old dude used to come over from the coast, I think his name was Elmer Reimer, or something like that.
Tumblin
2/10/2016 8:02am
Zach you look like Chad Reed going in tight and squaring up the cross hairs on that PW in front of you! I wish my folks were into moto as much as your's were, of course getting drug across the PNW and NorCal every other weekend may not have been for every kid but you found your speed much earlier than I had. Tell Craig hi for me.

James, I remember that old fart Reimer, dude must have been as old as I am now Lol. He was a big part of the races at Sixes (Port Orford), I believe he owned the property or leased it? That Old guy class was him, Gary Highland, Carl Bowling, Walt Smith (mentioned in that article I posted), many others...now it's some of us!
Speaking of Reimer, his boy railed that sixes track! I remember thinking WTF! when he blew me out of a berm in 82 on a 78CR...
Here's a shot of Popeye (Lance Burgess) pop'n through this new phenom they called "whoops" at Sixes...and me working out the proceedure

just James
2/10/2016 8:33am
Tumblin wrote:
Zach you look like Chad Reed going in tight and squaring up the cross hairs on that PW in front of you! I wish my folks...
Zach you look like Chad Reed going in tight and squaring up the cross hairs on that PW in front of you! I wish my folks were into moto as much as your's were, of course getting drug across the PNW and NorCal every other weekend may not have been for every kid but you found your speed much earlier than I had. Tell Craig hi for me.

James, I remember that old fart Reimer, dude must have been as old as I am now Lol. He was a big part of the races at Sixes (Port Orford), I believe he owned the property or leased it? That Old guy class was him, Gary Highland, Carl Bowling, Walt Smith (mentioned in that article I posted), many others...now it's some of us!
Speaking of Reimer, his boy railed that sixes track! I remember thinking WTF! when he blew me out of a berm in 82 on a 78CR...
Here's a shot of Popeye (Lance Burgess) pop'n through this new phenom they called "whoops" at Sixes...and me working out the proceedure

I could be wrong, but it seems like ol' Reimer was around 60 years old back in the early 80's. I used to hear about Sixes, but never got over there. I was so dirt poor, I would have to scrape together all of my money, and borrow my brother's pickup just to be able to get to Clarks Branch, and it was only about 35 miles from where I lived.
Great memories.
visser62
2/10/2016 8:36am
My dad raced on a lot of these tracks throughout the 70s and 80s in the expert class. I don't know if the name Harvey Visser rings a bell to anybody.
Murph32
2/10/2016 5:22pm
Nice pics Randy!
Glad I'm not the only one who couldnt dial those whoops...Lol...I so remember hitting the eject button off that last one.
Landed square in the middle of the next right hander...
Didnt know what the hell to do with those things at the time...jump each one? jump two? ride through them and get bucked to death? cut the track?
Somebody mentioned the indoor track up there...pretty sure that was in Gold Beach...it was a short track in a rodeo area if I remember right...raced there a couple times on minis
I was mistaken about Sixes location earlier...thought that was in Gold Beach..it was Port Orford.whoops still getting the best of me so memory not quite as good as it once was...haha
prozach
2/10/2016 6:36pm
Tumblin wrote:
Zach you look like Chad Reed going in tight and squaring up the cross hairs on that PW in front of you! I wish my folks...

Will do.

Post a reply to: Sunny Valley OR track 1960's-1970's

The Latest