Summary of TV and Online Viewing Conditions

Gukamonster
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2013 1:40pm
Starting to think Quantum Physics may be easier than figuring this out but here is how I understand things work:

First Motos:

- Live on Fuel
- Live on Allisports.com
- Also live online Internationally

Second Motos:

- Live on NBC or NBC Sports (except for sometimes - which times?)
- Not available to International users online (thanks for the non-warning)
- Might show up on some international networks later, if and when they decide to air it
- Available live to some US users if they verify their TV provider online from an incomplete list, meaning you could actually
have NBC Sports on your actual TV package but it probably won't make the "approved list" and you're screwed
- Available on the NBC Sports Live App on your mobile device but they acutally aren't because the app freezes and
sucks and has 4,000 1-Star reviews and doesn't work.

Did I miss anything in this clusterfuck?
|
5/18/2013 5:28pm
but it might make motocross seem like a legitimate sport if you could actually watch it......
adastramx
5/18/2013 5:34pm
That about sums it up. The TV schedule does show when the 2nd motos will and won't be live though.

And it seems people with iPhones or iPads are having good luck with the app, but those of us with Android get the version of the app that freezes.

Yep.
Jack Flash
5/18/2013 5:51pm
Add to your list that 2nd motos are Live in Australia
ando
5/18/2013 6:22pm
Jack Flash wrote:
Add to your list that 2nd motos are Live in Australia
Seems like Foxtel actually did a good job of putting them on as viewer's choice instead of not showing them live.

Also the repeat is on same day.

The Shop

maicocd
5/18/2013 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2013 7:48pm
I just gave up and went outside to build a retaining wall... My wife almost fell over.

I will just read about who won at Hangtown today in the August issue of Motocross Action.
I will also start checking TV Guide around New Years 2014 and pop a tape in the VCR player and record it when it's on Wide World Of Sports...

I'm not upset at anybody nor am I actually complaining.

A day of live motocross racing can only be packaged in a pay-per-view format.
Those interested in watching live motos all day should just shell out to watch it, and expect to watch it in it's entirety for their money. If you've paid and you cant watch it, or if it doesn't show up on your TV when it is supposed to, you can yell and scream and get your money back. If you are unhappy with the coverage, the announcers, or the quality of what you are shelling out for, you can cancel it and tell them to shove their "MX All Day Saturday" package up their cans and never subscribe again.

I'm no "math-a-ma-genius" nor do I know the complexities of getting this sport on the air. 
I do know that the two motos / two class format of the sport we all love is simply not conducive to any mainstream TV or broadcast outlet.
Motocross is not popular enough to gobble up four hours of airtime on any network.

There will be those that bitch, of course, that they have to pay to watch a day of moto in it's entirety, but just like my NFL- freak buddies that pay to watch every game on the NFL Sunday package, if you are a fan you will either shell out to see it all unfold live before your eyes,or scramble to get whatever you can "for free"  from the Internet, Facebook, tweets, texts, smoke signals, etc.

One thing that I've noticed is that the NFL surprisingly makes money from football-starved fans that shell out for the NFL Sunday package.

After reading endless posts and news flashes about the MX economy gasping for air, team cuts, manufacturer cutbacks, etc, etc, etc,-- and especially seeing how many people are on here that are upset that they can't watch live moto all day, the business minded side of me can't seem to notice some sort of missing link.

If you can't make the die hard, loyal motocross fans happy with "free" (albiet scattered) access to a days racing, I would conjure a guess that this strategy is also probably not pumping too many new fans into the sport either.
If we can't figure it out, why would the casual enthusiast even bother?

I rarely spout off on anything here, and people are free to torch me and shoot holes in my argument all they want.

I've been around motocross and I've raced for over 40 years, and I can say that the worst thing this sport does for itself is trying to convince the rest of the world how great motocross is.
Once motocross figures out that it's current fans are the true lifeline to it's survival, stops worrying about being big-time, and makes those that support it the happiest first, then I think the rest will fall in line.
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
5/18/2013 7:52pm
I dont know what was wrong with what we had 15 years ago. On ESPN2 we watch both races in their entirety the following week. You could nearly set your clock to it.
bigborefan
5/18/2013 7:55pm
maicocd wrote:
I just gave up and went outside to build a retaining wall... My wife almost fell over. I will just read about who won at Hangtown...
I just gave up and went outside to build a retaining wall... My wife almost fell over.

I will just read about who won at Hangtown today in the August issue of Motocross Action.
I will also start checking TV Guide around New Years 2014 and pop a tape in the VCR player and record it when it's on Wide World Of Sports...

Those interested in watching live motos all day should just shell out to watch it, and expect to watch it in it's entirety for their money. If you've paid and you cant watch it, or if it doesn't show up on your TV when it is supposed to, you can yell and scream and get your money back. If you are unhappy with the coverage, the announcers, or the quality of what you are shelling out for, you can cancel it and tell them to shove their "MX All Day Saturday" package up their cans and never subscribe again.

I'm no "math-a-ma-genius" nor do I know the complexities of getting this sport on the air. 
I do know that the two motos / two class format of the sport we all love is simply not conducive to any mainstream TV or broadcast outlet.
Motocross is not popular enough to gobble up four hours of airtime on any network.

There will be those that bitch, of course, that they have to pay to watch a day of moto in it's entirety, but just like my NFL- freak buddies that pay to watch every game on the NFL Sunday package, if you are a fan you will either shell out to see it all unfold live before your eyes,or scramble to get whatever you can "for free"  from the Internet, Facebook, tweets, texts, smoke signals, etc.

One thing that I've noticed is that the NFL surprisingly makes money from football-starved fans that shell out for the NFL Sunday package.

After reading endless posts and news flashes about the MX economy gasping for air, team cuts, manufacturer cutbacks, etc, etc, etc,-- and especially seeing how many people are on here that are upset that they can't watch live moto all day, the business minded side of me can't seem to notice some sort of missing link.

If you can't make the die hard, loyal motocross fans happy with "free" (albiet scattered) access to a days racing, I would conjure a guess that this strategy is also probably not pumping too many new fans into the sport either.

I rarely spout off on anything here, and people are free to torch me and shoot holes in my argument all they want.

I've been around motocross and I've raced for over 40 years, and I can say that the worst thing this sport does for itself is trying to convince the rest of the world how great motocross is.
Once motocross figures out that it's current fans are the true lifeline to it's survival, stops worrying about being big-time, and makes those that support it the happiest first, then I think the rest will fall in line.
Excellent post, thanks.
jasonv43
5/18/2013 7:59pm
So if nobody saw it. Does that mean the second motos never happened???
TeamGreen
5/18/2013 9:34pm
jasonv43 wrote:
So if nobody saw it. Does that mean the second motos never happened???
This guy cracks me up.
NoGo
5/18/2013 9:55pm
I watched four live motos from my iPhone.incredibly clear and no lag.
sdfog1
5/18/2013 10:05pm
I guess I'm in the minority, I watched all four motos with greater ease than ever. I really like the live streams, worked flawlessly for me.
5/18/2013 10:09pm
Does Alli sports show the 2nd moto online to AMERICAN users? An easy work-around would to be using a Firefox plugin to spoof your IP as an American one if that is the case. Last year was the biggest joke watching those spanish streams. Anyone know if someone is uploading the races via torrent? Sir slicknick maybe?
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
5/18/2013 10:09pm
NoGo wrote:
Considering your user name, that is ironic.

But my 12 year old Daughter bailed me out with her ipad, so for the first time ever I watched MX live on a 5"x10" tv. It was frustrating to get to the point of asking my 12 year old daughter to figure out how to watch the race, but I was sure glad when she did. She is munching down on a celebratory bowl of ice cream right now, which I made for her as a consolation prize.
5/18/2013 10:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2013 10:30pm
Watching TV on a phone is just pathetic. Maybe I am old. Watching DVR X Games from Barcelona live from DVR recorded earlier today that I had no idea was happening maybe puts the reality of this in perspective. Womens Endurocross nonetheless. And WMX has all but been murdered at the US nationals. Monopolies have to stop. And I know, ESPN is a monopoly as well, but they are less of a monopoly than MX. Bring back the NPG on a real promoters perspective, please. This is like coming home and finding out you cannot watch the nationals but your local race was televised instead.
5/18/2013 10:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2013 10:33pm
No wonder 10th or so place in the nationals racers are barely surviving and can't find sponsorship.
mt798
5/18/2013 10:34pm
Was there a race today?
5/18/2013 10:49pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2013 10:51pm
those of you who say we are not owed free mx on tv, well when you look at what has been in national MX coverage in the past and what is out there today.., WOMENS ENDURO X LIVE aired today....well it's not like we are bitching that...fuck i don't even know how to compare the ridiculousness.
Motodude
5/18/2013 11:01pm
It would be far better if MX became a world ranking type tour, one off events around the world overseen by one governing with events run by promoters with serious connection$$$. Might be easier for TV and MSM to follow. The public at large know very well what moto is so it wouldn't take much more consistent programing to get them to watch on tv.
ts.p311
5/19/2013 1:22am
hartebreak wrote:
I dont know what was wrong with what we had 15 years ago. On ESPN2 we watch both races in their entirety the following week. You...
I dont know what was wrong with what we had 15 years ago. On ESPN2 we watch both races in their entirety the following week. You could nearly set your clock to it.
Yeah, in their entirety haha.
Xavier
5/19/2013 4:16am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2013 4:26am
maicocd wrote:
I just gave up and went outside to build a retaining wall... My wife almost fell over. I will just read about who won at Hangtown...

I like your message because :

1) It says "Maico" on your username (which is an undeniable proof of taste);

2) It does not thrash DC (who's dedication to the sport cannot be questioned, even remotely);

3) It makes (a lot of) sense. Especially this paragraph : "I can say that the worst thing this sport does for itself is trying to convince the rest of the world how great motocross is; once motocross figures out that it's current fans are the true lifeline to it's survival, stops worrying about being big-time, and makes those that support it the happiest first, then I think the rest will fall in line", which I suggest you forward immediately to Youthstream and the FIM !

Now, I was as p...d off as anyone (outside the US) last night and yes, it is true that almost every year, there is a lot of tech issues / drama with live coverage of round 1 (sometimes even round 2) of this great series, which, every time, is a bummer.

I truly believe that pay-per-view is the way to go for international customers (I'm sure the TV deals are very complex but as MX Sports pays for them, one would think they could push that issue successfully and even get a few $$$ from PPV to offset the overall costs??)....

Other option : I don't think Red Bull is sponsoring every National but when they do (which was the case at Hangtown - heck, did'nt they even built a small track in downtown Sacramento for PR purposes only ??!!) - would it be too much to ask them to step up and program it on their Red Bull TV site (which works flawlessly) ?

Either way, I'm sure DC will resolve this issue quickly.

From reading him, he sounded very happy (even proud) with the whole package, so something went wrong somewhere, that he was not aware of, I'm convinced of that.

Should have he been more cautious in his writing ? Probably.

Did he intend to screw anyone ? If you believe that, you may as well believe the brothers in Boston did not do the marathon bombings. It's that stupid.
TMV
5/19/2013 6:17am
Well said Xavier, I'm 100% with you...
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/19/2013 6:42am
When the live feed was working for the 1st motos, I thought it worked and looked great on my computer connected to the TV. But this 2nd moto deal beyond words for disappointing and strange.

I need a TV subscription to view content on the internet = backasswards.

My android asked for me to sign-in with my TV subscription as well.

I would pay money to view the online feed, thought it was awesome, but I will not pay for cable/satellite and spend my time dodging the 98% of garbage shows and commercials just to see 60mins of online streaming via computer/tablet/phone. Its mind boggling to me this a acceptable package for sponsors/fans/sport/common sense...... Its like a joke designed to... ehh i just need to stop, plus i'm tired of looking at RV's oakley add where someone just threw mud at him >>>>>>
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
5/19/2013 6:50am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2013 6:51am
NoGo wrote:
I'm trying to think if there's anything important enough for me to stare at my iphone for 4 hours. Nothing has come to mind yet . . .
Brapp
5/19/2013 7:21am
NoGo wrote:
I attempted to watch live moto's on my Droid phone and it froze over and over again, so I got to watch Kawasaki commercials over and over again-
indy_maico
5/19/2013 7:28am
I have Directv, so I can't watch the live streaming video?

WTF?
jo2910
5/19/2013 9:27am
I tried to find the replay without seeing who won but I guess that's a fail now I saw rv and Roczen. Any archives?.
Mr. Info
5/19/2013 10:13am
DC says it will get better so God has spoken.
Walter
5/19/2013 11:21am
but it might make motocross seem like a legitimate sport if you could actually watch it......
Or...maybe if more people watched it compared to other sports, the series promoters might not have to pay so much to gain any coverage and might get some scheduling leverage over other sports (which get paid for allowing the event to be shown).
Spat24
Fantasy
856th
5/19/2013 12:31pm
Watched all 4 motos on Alli Sports web site - just as stated on Racer X. Hooked the laptop to TV and looked awesome.
Anyone in the states with an internet connection could have done the same.
Brent
5/19/2013 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2013 12:35pm
NoGo wrote:
same here on the ipad, not a single hitch. I was on LTE though...

Post a reply to: Summary of TV and Online Viewing Conditions

The Latest