Subjective Helmet Question.. 6D vs Moto-9

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2018 2:01 PM

Anyone out there have specific personal experience with the 6D and/or Bell Moto- 9. I need a new helmet and I am close to pulling the trigger on a 6D. I value my head but it is still a pricey piece of gear. Not that the Moto 9 is cheap, but I can get one for half of what I would pay for a 6D.

Hoping for input from people who can provide valuable input...and yet here I am asking the Vitards.

|

4/13/2018 2:06 PM

Do you mean the regular Moto-9 (with MIPS) or the Moto-9 Flex?

|

4/13/2018 2:06 PM

In the testing results I saw done by a third party, TLD SE4, Bell Flex and Fox's high end helmet were all very close but significantly outperformed all others. New tech is cool, but EPS is still the best material for absorbing energy. MIPS is included in all three models I mentioned, and it works for rotational injury reduction. Do what you want with that info.

|

4/13/2018 2:20 PM

I wore Bell for years and was in a Moto 9 before I switched to the 6D. My observations (keep in mind I have a big melon...):

-Moto 9 Sizing was consistent with prior helmets. 6d ran slightly large (I wear a large and the helmet feels good, but it feels like the cheek pads are a bit slim. I’m going to try thicker ones).
-The goggles never seemed to fit right in my Moto 9. Likely more of a face issue than the helmet itself.
-the chin of the Moto 9 feels closer to my face than the 6d (haven’t measured, but feels that way).
-I loved the color options on the Moto 8, but wasn’t able to find anything I liked in the 9. I’m not thrilled with the 6d options but there are some okay ones.
-overall I feel that the 6d is more comfortable.

|

4/13/2018 2:21 PM

Moto 9 Flex

|

4/13/2018 3:12 PM

I've had a Moto 9 then went to a 6D carbon. Love the fit of the 6D. The Bell? Not so much.
But all heads are different.
I went with the 6D for what I think is the best technology and safety available.
Although I did buy a TLD SE4 with MIPS for a second helmet and I like it.
Just not as much as my 6D.

If I was buying new right now, I'd go with the new 6D ATR-2 hands down!

|

4/13/2018 3:16 PM

dpingree101 wrote:

In the testing results I saw done by a third party, TLD SE4, Bell Flex and Fox's high end helmet were all very close but significantly outperformed all others. New tech is cool, but EPS is still the best material for absorbing energy. MIPS is included in all three models I mentioned, and it works for rotational injury reduction. Do what you want with that info.

Ping, MIPS isn't included in the Bell Flex...Flex is Bell's proprietary technology they use in place of a MIPS system.

|

4/13/2018 3:22 PM

I've seen data that placed Bell, TLD, and 6D in similar range...I'd try them all on for fit...then go from there based off fit and price.

|

4/13/2018 3:37 PM

Huge fan of the 6D. I’ve tested them out a couple of times and they work. Plus the idea of having it rebuilt and not having to get another lid is a huge plus to me.

|

4/13/2018 3:41 PM

Both are amazing helmets. With the bell you gotta get the flex or the 400$ one. Not sure of the name. But I have all 3 tagger design bell helmets and I love them. Super comfortable

|

4/13/2018 4:55 PM

I personally like the Bell Moto 9 Flex. It’s like Bell took 6Ds innovation and did it their own way and perfected it. Tried on 6Ds and didn’t care for it. Bell is way more comfortable..

Whatever you decide you want, I can get you a discount on either brand. Hit me up for pricing and what not. 559-301-7491

|

4/13/2018 6:25 PM

I have two 6D helmets and love them. Comfy and IMO the best safety out there.

|

4/13/2018 6:34 PM

Put the helmets on and see what fits your head best. They are both good helmets, but they are a different fit than the other. I wear Bell Moto 9 FLEX and it fits like a glove. I tried the 6D, before the Bell had the FLEX model and it was really tight on my forehead. I couldn’t take it, so I sold it and bought 2 Bell Moto 9 Carbon helmets with the money.

|

4/13/2018 6:51 PM

I would try them on if possible. I prefer the bell over the 6d. Seems to fit my head better.

|

4/13/2018 7:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2018 7:11 PM

Rode a full day in a Bell Moto 9 and immediately noticed how loud everything sounded compared to a 6D. So I tried on an older Shoei VFX-Air and then my 6D, and the Bell had substantial more engine/wind noise. I don't know if that's good or bad, just an observation.

I have 2 6D helmets, the fit is closer to a Shoei than an Arai, and have been a huge fan of the company and people who run it, for years. When I wadded up coming down Mt. Saint Helens during a REM race, Frank (who witnessed my crash) told me the helmet probably saved my life as I rag dolled head/feet/head/feet/head violently down the track.

|


"Never do something permanently foolish just because you are temporarily upset..."
-----------------------------------My Vital MX Bike Check Page--------------------------------

4/13/2018 7:08 PM

+1 for trying each on before purchase. I wear a 6d ATR-1 in Medium with the Medium/Small headliner as it fit a bit larger than the comparable size Shoei I used to wear; this was a huge comfort improvement. The new Bell has a unique fit, for me, which is why I recommend trying them on (and leaving it on your head like a goof in store for a while) before purchasing. Can't really go wrong with most modern helmet offerings seeing that 6d really made other manufacturers step up their game.

|

4/13/2018 7:46 PM

I have both, right now. It took a few rides to adjust to the weird feel of the 6d. But its ok now. Prefer the bell over it if i had to choose only one.

|

4/13/2018 8:08 PM

Love my Moto 9 Flex. Yes, it is a bit louder than other helmets imo, but that doesn't bother me. Bought a large size online without trying one on and it fit perfect. Better than any other helmet I've ever owned, actually. Washed the liner a couple times, no issues. Also, overall an easy helmet to clean.

|

James

4/13/2018 9:05 PM

If I hadn't found an amazing deal on a 6D, I would have bought the SE4.

|

Care Factor Zero

4/13/2018 9:44 PM

dpingree101 wrote:

In the testing results I saw done by a third party, TLD SE4, Bell Flex and Fox's high end helmet were all very close but significantly outperformed all others. New tech is cool, but EPS is still the best material for absorbing energy. MIPS is included in all three models I mentioned, and it works for rotational injury reduction. Do what you want with that info.

Was the new Shoei in this test..?

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

4/14/2018 3:44 AM

omalley wrote:

I wore Bell for years and was in a Moto 9 before I switched to the 6D. My observations (keep in mind I have a big melon...):

-Moto 9 Sizing was consistent with prior helmets. 6d ran slightly large (I wear a large and the helmet feels good, but it feels like the cheek pads are a bit slim. I’m going to try thicker ones).
-The goggles never seemed to fit right in my Moto 9. Likely more of a face issue than the helmet itself.
-the chin of the Moto 9 feels closer to my face than the 6d (haven’t measured, but feels that way).
-I loved the color options on the Moto 8, but wasn’t able to find anything I liked in the 9. I’m not thrilled with the 6d options but there are some okay ones.
-overall I feel that the 6d is more comfortable.

Out of curiosity what goggles were you running? I’ve noticed that too with my moto 9, I have some 100% racecrafts and they don’t really fit properly in there. Some smaller goggles seem to work alright though

|

RPM Performance
CT
783

4/14/2018 5:03 AM

omalley wrote:

I wore Bell for years and was in a Moto 9 before I switched to the 6D. My observations (keep in mind I have a big melon...):

-Moto 9 Sizing was consistent with prior helmets. 6d ran slightly large (I wear a large and the helmet feels good, but it feels like the cheek pads are a bit slim. I’m going to try thicker ones).
-The goggles never seemed to fit right in my Moto 9. Likely more of a face issue than the helmet itself.
-the chin of the Moto 9 feels closer to my face than the 6d (haven’t measured, but feels that way).
-I loved the color options on the Moto 8, but wasn’t able to find anything I liked in the 9. I’m not thrilled with the 6d options but there are some okay ones.
-overall I feel that the 6d is more comfortable.

murph783 wrote:

Out of curiosity what goggles were you running? I’ve noticed that too with my moto 9, I have some 100% racecrafts and they don’t really fit properly in there. Some smaller goggles seem to work alright though

I run Scott Prospect and Oakley Airbrake in a Moto 9. Fits pretty good. 100% Accuri didn't work for me

|