Stupid question, how do you move your weight forward?

Edited Date/Time 7/26/2019 6:24am
I'm a fairly new rider and I noticed that people say to "move your weight forward" to bring the front down after hitting a jump with to much throttle. I can't seem to do this, I know how to move my weight forward on mountain bikes because I do it all the time, but I just can't seem to have the flexibility to move my weight forward on the bike.

Should I try throwing my hips forward or trying to get my whole body over the front of the bike? I can think about it but when I try to do it, it doesn't seem to work.

Stupid question but hoping to get an answer.

(also I'm a fairly tall guy, around 5'11, I'm not sure if that would affect it at all)
|
Dr.201
7/25/2019 4:22pm
Maybe you are trying to jump your dirtbike with mountain bike technique? I'm new to mountain bikes and the jumping doesn't really translate but everything else does. Maybe watch some videos on youtube for mx jumping skills or attend a local camp?
50dippin
7/25/2019 4:44pm
It's all about the take off, stay loose and neutral. Don't hit the jump with too much throttle. You can try tapping the rear brake, but If you're loose and comfortable this shouldn't be an issue on most jumps. More seat time will help, once you get comfortable with a jump you should have a feeling of how long you will be in the air and should be able to compensate easily.
sandtrack315
7/25/2019 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2019 4:52pm
_bwgannon_ wrote:
I'm a fairly new rider and I noticed that people say to "move your weight forward" to bring the front down after hitting a jump with...
I'm a fairly new rider and I noticed that people say to "move your weight forward" to bring the front down after hitting a jump with to much throttle. I can't seem to do this, I know how to move my weight forward on mountain bikes because I do it all the time, but I just can't seem to have the flexibility to move my weight forward on the bike.

Should I try throwing my hips forward or trying to get my whole body over the front of the bike? I can think about it but when I try to do it, it doesn't seem to work.

(also I'm a fairly tall guy, around 5'11, I'm not sure if that would affect it at all)
Is this off a jump you have a hard time clearing? If you’re looping out from accelerating too much off the face, you should actually be full throttle and leaning back more to compress the rear shock, which will rebound and move your front end down in the air. I wouldn’t try this as a novice, though, as you can endo pretty easily.

The Shop

RedDirtDog
7/25/2019 4:58pm
It'll come naturally eventually, dont push it if it doesnt feel right.
Racer111
7/25/2019 5:03pm
Picture perfect of weight being moved forward right there.
plowboy
7/25/2019 5:52pm
Racer111 wrote:
Picture perfect of weight being moved forward right there. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/25/362659/s1200_BCF598B6_531E_4340_B89B_05266F09AD00.jpg[/img]
Don't ever try to do what you see in this pic. James Stewart was a freak and even he had trouble staying off the ground. Tap your rear brake to bring the front end down. Practice from small to big. It'll come.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
7/25/2019 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2019 8:01pm
_bwgannon_ wrote:
I'm a fairly new rider and I noticed that people say to "move your weight forward" to bring the front down after hitting a jump with...

you need to have your weight forward going off the jump, itt's damn near impossible to correct your body position after take off. I have a problem with my hips getting to far back on some jumps so i try to really pay attention to where my knees are on the shrouds and how much my legs are bent. it will feel weird the first few times when you really are far forward enough. Start on a small jump and really emphasize your body position. here is a good video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvwbNKpjgK0&t=11s
hogkiller
7/25/2019 7:38pm
_bwgannon_ wrote:

7/25/2019 7:42pm
_bwgannon_ wrote:

hogkiller wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/25/362678/s1200_3D9F8404_2_zps2216430c.jpg[/img]

My apologies to Racer111, I didn't know he could beat RC on a mini bike. I knew he loved Suzuki's, but damn...
AngryBear
7/25/2019 8:23pm
plowboy wrote:
Don't ever try to do what you see in this pic. James Stewart was a freak and even he had trouble staying off the ground. Tap...
Don't ever try to do what you see in this pic. James Stewart was a freak and even he had trouble staying off the ground. Tap your rear brake to bring the front end down. Practice from small to big. It'll come.
using rear brake to bring front end down is somewhat of a last resort, ecsp to a novice. use that after you are out of body positioning induced bike movement.
BobbyM
7/25/2019 9:39pm
_bwgannon_ wrote:

I usually just lay my dick out on the tank... You can't imagine the forward bias weight distribution advantage I had. Yukyuktuk....
Dropbear
7/25/2019 11:50pm
I tried doing some good size doubles on my E-mtb today. Did ok, but I really miss the confidence a throttle gives me. Very dissimilar in technique needed.
7/26/2019 1:46am
_bwgannon_ wrote:

soggy wrote:
you need to have your weight forward going off the jump, itt's damn near impossible to correct your body position after take off. I have a...
you need to have your weight forward going off the jump, itt's damn near impossible to correct your body position after take off. I have a problem with my hips getting to far back on some jumps so i try to really pay attention to where my knees are on the shrouds and how much my legs are bent. it will feel weird the first few times when you really are far forward enough. Start on a small jump and really emphasize your body position. here is a good video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvwbNKpjgK0&t=11s
Should I try pushing my hips forward so my feet are being pushed by the footpegs essentially? I heard that from somewhere else but I feel like if I tried that it would send me flying ass first over the bars.
roninho
7/26/2019 3:26am
Romain Febvre explains it quite well in this vid... (after 5 seconds or so in the vid)
kb228
7/26/2019 3:56am
Youre supposed to keep a steady throttle and chin over the bars on the take off.

Dont gas it off the takeoff. Thats how i broke my tibia and collar bone. Learned the hardway.

Rear brake is how your bring it back level.
RCF
7/26/2019 4:40am
Racer111 wrote:
Picture perfect of weight being moved forward right there. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/25/362659/s1200_BCF598B6_531E_4340_B89B_05266F09AD00.jpg[/img]
plowboy wrote:
Don't ever try to do what you see in this pic. James Stewart was a freak and even he had trouble staying off the ground. Tap...
My kids been jumping like that since he's 9 years old ,not really that hard of a technique to learn.

Markee
Fantasy
1890th
7/26/2019 5:35am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2019 5:58am
I'm not sure if you have gained any useful information yet. My take:

Find a mellow double or table top you are familiar with. By mellow, I mean the face of the jump isn't steep.

Like said above a neutral position going up the face. Neutral meaning, weight mostly on the pegs, core tight, grip bike with knees, very little to no weight on your bars.

The lip or top of the face is where you start to transfer your weight to the front to pitch the front down a bit after the bike completely leaves the face.

Transferring your weight is a combination of leaning forward and pushing bars down. You can also grip the bike with your legs and pull the rear up.

You can chop the throttle at the lip and it will pitch the bike forward with a neutral body position. A 4 stroke will have a more dramatic effect because of the engine braking.

I would start on something very small, 10-15 foot. Hit it over and over and over until it clicks. Once it does click and you will start to feel how a small change in weight shifting and pushing the bars down/forward moves the bike.

The steeper the face the less input you need to put on the front, the jump face will arc the bike in a sense if you are neutral on the bike.
7/26/2019 5:45am
Just keep jumping and be cognizant of body positioning. As you get more comfortable you'll start bringing your weight forward. Natural tendancy seems to be to lean back even if you don't think you are. If you watch the novice class boner airs are common place.
kkawboy14
7/26/2019 6:19am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2019 6:19am
All you have to think about Is where your head is. When you keep your head forward everything else follows!
OldYZRider1
7/26/2019 6:20am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2019 6:23am
A proven and generally well accepted procedure to get your weight forward is to drink lots of beer and refrain from any sort of abdominal muscle exercises. Hope this helps.
919x
7/26/2019 6:41am
Markee wrote:
I'm not sure if you have gained any useful information yet. My take: Find a mellow double or table top you are familiar with. By mellow...
I'm not sure if you have gained any useful information yet. My take:

Find a mellow double or table top you are familiar with. By mellow, I mean the face of the jump isn't steep.

Like said above a neutral position going up the face. Neutral meaning, weight mostly on the pegs, core tight, grip bike with knees, very little to no weight on your bars.

The lip or top of the face is where you start to transfer your weight to the front to pitch the front down a bit after the bike completely leaves the face.

Transferring your weight is a combination of leaning forward and pushing bars down. You can also grip the bike with your legs and pull the rear up.

You can chop the throttle at the lip and it will pitch the bike forward with a neutral body position. A 4 stroke will have a more dramatic effect because of the engine braking.

I would start on something very small, 10-15 foot. Hit it over and over and over until it clicks. Once it does click and you will start to feel how a small change in weight shifting and pushing the bars down/forward moves the bike.

The steeper the face the less input you need to put on the front, the jump face will arc the bike in a sense if you are neutral on the bike.
OP,
If that is you in your profile picture Markee is giving you good advice. If your not gripping with your legs you are going to have trouble positioning yourself on the bike.
7/26/2019 7:21am
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll try and implement these to my riding next time I go out to the track. I guess its just the fear of the unexpected at this stage of riding 🤷‍♂️
ElliotB16
7/26/2019 7:40am
A little less gas or lean forward more on take off. Once you do enough jumps you’ll be able to dial them in better.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
7/26/2019 7:43am
_bwgannon_ wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll try and implement these to my riding next time I go out to the track. I guess its just...
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll try and implement these to my riding next time I go out to the track. I guess its just the fear of the unexpected at this stage of riding 🤷‍♂️
see if you can get someone to take pictures/ video of you, it can help big time.

knees slightly in front of pegs. Hips above footpegs, bent at the waist with your head over handlebars. you should be able to see the front of your number plate. you'll be amazed at how much more in control you'll feel with your weight in the proper spot. good luck!
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/26/2019 9:04am
kkawboy14 wrote:
All you have to think about Is where your head is. When you keep your head forward everything else follows!
Good advice here. This works not only on jumps, but in corners and down straights too. Lead with your head.

I also give my bars a little tug when the front wheel leaves the ground; this helps move me closer to the front and puts a tiny bit more preload into the shock. I believe it helps me to set my bike and body into a comfortable in-air position from which I can adjust midair if necessary.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
7/26/2019 10:30am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Good advice here. This works not only on jumps, but in corners and down straights too. Lead with your head. I also give my bars a...
Good advice here. This works not only on jumps, but in corners and down straights too. Lead with your head.

I also give my bars a little tug when the front wheel leaves the ground; this helps move me closer to the front and puts a tiny bit more preload into the shock. I believe it helps me to set my bike and body into a comfortable in-air position from which I can adjust midair if necessary.
I would really not recommend pulling on the bars like that - it sounds like you're too far back off the face if you need to do that. You should forward already. If you're on the power hard you lean into it more, if you're on the power less you'll be more upright. Forward lean angle and throttle balance each other out so you're not using arms.

Your head should be forward, bent at the hips, and arms should be extremely relaxed with almost zero bar input. Let the suspension do it's job and you'll just float away perfectly evenly. As you start to get more confident, the next step is start to suck your knees up and absorb the face of the jump to stay lower. The reason fast guys look effortless on jumps is because they're not putting much effort into the bike when not needed.

Post a reply to: Stupid question, how do you move your weight forward?

The Latest