'Struggling with bike setup all weekend' can no longer be a valid excuse.

Mit12
9/4/2017 4:18pm
All riders that race SX and nationals have bike set up problems. They race 17 rounds of SX and 12 rounds MX. The GP riders always race Outdoors so they should have a way better handle on setup. Not an excuse just pointing out the obvious. If you listen to Herlings interview after the USGP he says the bike he raced at the nationasl is real close to what he races in the GPs.
aees
9/5/2017 12:33pm
Mit12 wrote:
All riders that race SX and nationals have bike set up problems. They race 17 rounds of SX and 12 rounds MX. The GP riders always...
All riders that race SX and nationals have bike set up problems. They race 17 rounds of SX and 12 rounds MX. The GP riders always race Outdoors so they should have a way better handle on setup. Not an excuse just pointing out the obvious. If you listen to Herlings interview after the USGP he says the bike he raced at the nationasl is real close to what he races in the GPs.
Yea to some extent. You can compare deep sand to supercross, both are very very different from the US tracks that lucas oil runs on.

The bike settings for real sand races (where most of the euro guys practice during weeks because of the demanding nature of those tracks) cant be compared to a hardpacked or US setup. Herlings runs completely different set of forks and shocks for that, different sag, maps, different fuel tank etc. Tires are different with no side movement grip.

The tracks also gets really beaten up. WW was a walk in the park compared to Lommel, Assen etc where you have up to 10 heat races with minimal prepp on between days.

A good sand rider is typically really shitty at hard packed in young days, and vise verse.

So all in all, you got to ask if riding in various conditions makes you a better rider or not.
TXDirt
9/5/2017 12:40pm
Tomac must have made a clicker change in the wrong direction that second moto then according to some of the vitards in this thread. Maybe he went in a half click when he should have gone out a half click?
aees
9/5/2017 12:47pm
TXDirt wrote:
Tomac must have made a clicker change in the wrong direction that second moto then according to some of the vitards in this thread. Maybe he...
Tomac must have made a clicker change in the wrong direction that second moto then according to some of the vitards in this thread. Maybe he went in a half click when he should have gone out a half click?
I think 1 to 3, is kind of different from going 13 to 1. Specially since he has told us he was worn out, and did not do some sections that JH and AC did so he lost some time there every lap.

The Shop

peelout
9/5/2017 1:19pm
at the end of the day it's just a dirt bike race
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
9/5/2017 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 1:55pm
TXDirt wrote:
How do you define "ridden at the top"? Does holding an AMA Pro license and testing with Bones count? So a few clicks equals seconds per...
How do you define "ridden at the top"? Does holding an AMA Pro license and testing with Bones count?

So a few clicks equals seconds per lap?

That's a good joke.

I would consider triple clamps a fairly substantial change. You are mixing up minor and substantial changes but then say a few clicks equals "seconds per lap".

Sorry. That's not how it works.
I don't know who you are, but you're wrong. You're running 2:01 and your comp is running 2:00.49, every click makes a difference.

I've seen RC come in and say the shock was harsh in the rough so they changed to a half mm longer link and one click.

You're right, once you get a base it's easy to go from there, but a lot of the guys who are really really fast can tell the little details and their suspension.

Now I agree, I click does not equate seconds, but it could tenths, and at that level that's a lot.

David934
9/7/2017 2:00am
TriRacer27 wrote:
It's never really been a very valid excuse to begin with.

It's just been an excuse.
lostboy819 wrote:
X100
But he feels like bike problem. Actually problem was in his head.
kkawboy14
9/7/2017 3:24am
TXDirt wrote:
How do you define "ridden at the top"? Does holding an AMA Pro license and testing with Bones count? So a few clicks equals seconds per...
How do you define "ridden at the top"? Does holding an AMA Pro license and testing with Bones count?

That's a good joke.

I would consider triple clamps a fairly substantial change. You are mixing up minor and substantial changes but then say a few clicks equals "seconds per lap".

UpTiTe wrote:
I don't know who you are, but you're wrong. You're running 2:01 and your comp is running 2:00.49, every click makes a difference. I've seen RC...
I don't know who you are, but you're wrong. You're running 2:01 and your comp is running 2:00.49, every click makes a difference.

I've seen RC come in and say the shock was harsh in the rough so they changed to a half mm longer link and one click.

You're right, once you get a base it's easy to go from there, but a lot of the guys who are really really fast can tell the little details and their suspension.

Now I agree, I click does not equate seconds, but it could tenths, and at that level that's a lot.

The half mm link change was the big change in your description. Not the 1 click.

A harsh suspension is still very rideable for a Pro it just means he may have less confidence in choosing lines and he may get more tired at the end of the moto.
9/7/2017 4:10am
Many years ago Kurt Nicoll in an interview said : "if we adjusted one click on Peter Johanssen's 520sx rear shock, he'd ride half a lap and pull in to tell us something was wrong, whereas we could change the rear shock for a solid iron rod on Grant Langston's 125sx and Grant would go out there and post the same lap times!"

*Or something similar...
aees
9/7/2017 4:30am
It also depends on what bike you run. On a 450, one click slower rebound (in rear), or faster in front can make the bike difficult to turn with, while at a 125 or 250 would not be noticeable.

Just look at Tomac, 13 to 1 just changing from more hard packed to soft track setup.
TXDirt
9/7/2017 5:00am
TXDirt wrote:

That's a good joke.

UpTiTe wrote:
I don't know who you are, but you're wrong. You're running 2:01 and your comp is running 2:00.49, every click makes a difference. I've seen RC...

You start off by saying I'm wrong and you don't agree and then go on agreeing with everything I have said.

Yes riders are looking for tenths. That's exactly what I said.

Tomac doesn't go into the pits and they adjust the clickers during timed practice and is magically now two seconds faster. It just means he had a better lap. Could have been a better line choice, no lappers, more aggressive riding. All those things have a bigger impact on his lap then 1 or two clicks will. That was my point.
Rupert X
9/7/2017 5:17am
Yeah, I'm still running my Supercross suspension from 1984 and my handlebars up high like LaRocco. I've been wondering why my results have been lackluster.

9/7/2017 5:53am
aeffertz wrote:
Tired of this excuse from dudes who have been on the bike for over a year. Bro, if you can't find a setting on the factory...
Tired of this excuse from dudes who have been on the bike for over a year. Bro, if you can't find a setting on the factory bike you've been riding for multiple years, it ain't the bike.

If you do well one weekend and struggle the next on practically the same track, it ain't the bike.

If a GP dude can come over, run a completely new bike, with a different frame and tires than what he ever runs, and goes 1-1 (coming from dead last one moto) on the day... It ain't the bike.
Agreed 100%
Robgvx
9/7/2017 6:45am
aees wrote:
It also depends on what bike you run. On a 450, one click slower rebound (in rear), or faster in front can make the bike difficult...
It also depends on what bike you run. On a 450, one click slower rebound (in rear), or faster in front can make the bike difficult to turn with, while at a 125 or 250 would not be noticeable.

Just look at Tomac, 13 to 1 just changing from more hard packed to soft track setup.
Maybe he changed some clickers in his head...

Post a reply to: 'Struggling with bike setup all weekend' can no longer be a valid excuse.

The Latest