Stripping stock exhaust paint

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2011 3:36 PM

I'm freshening up my yz250 and was thinking about stripping the paint off the stock pipe and putting a clear coat on it. Has anyone had any luck with this?

|

www.cheaptearoffs.com

Like us on facebook for weekly sx contests with prizes, discounts, and updates

Cheaptearoffs.com Facebook page

10/26/2011 3:41 PM

Photo
|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.

10/26/2011 3:53 PM

I'm not sure how a clear coat would stand up to the heat?

Nickel plating is durable and looks pretty cool.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

10/26/2011 3:53 PM

Hey if you do it can you post a pic? Just wondering how that would look.

|

10/26/2011 4:03 PM

i use scotch brite or steel wool. the clear coat will last a little while before it looks like shit.

i am working on finding something to coat the pipe with to keep it from rusting, going to try nozzle get for mig welders next.

|

10/26/2011 4:07 PM

also you might want to try a spot on the inside of the pipe to see what you are getting yourself into. usually it comes off pretty easily but when i stripped the pipe on my zuma it was a bitch to get off and the pipe had some weird pink/copper color.

|

10/26/2011 4:09 PM

bwh998 wrote:

i use scotch brite or steel wool. the clear coat will last a little while before it looks like shit.

i am working on finding something to coat the pipe with to keep it from rusting, going to try nozzle get for mig welders next.

WD-40

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

10/26/2011 4:10 PM

The best way is to put it in your self cleaning oven and clean it for 3-4 hours.
It will strip it inside and out and give your house that sweet bean smell that you so desire.
Instead of clear coating just keep a coat of WD-40 on it, gives it that "works" look.

|

10/26/2011 4:11 PM

f*ck that shit, just spray paint it whatever color you want

|

10/26/2011 4:16 PM

bwh998 wrote:

Cygnus wrote:

WD-40

i meant something that lasts longer than 5 minutes. the nozzle gel seems to bake on a thick waxy layer when i use it welding, that's what i am looking for.

|

10/26/2011 4:18 PM

Browndogwilson did his stock yz 2fid a while back. Tuned out good. I think he did alot of wire wheel and sanding though. He dont seem to come around these parts anymore.

|

10/26/2011 4:20 PM

bwh998 wrote:

Cygnus wrote:

WD-40

bwh998 wrote:

i meant something that lasts longer than 5 minutes. the nozzle gel seems to bake on a thick waxy layer when i use it welding, that's what i am looking for.

WD lasts for the weekend. This is a cool way to make you bike look worx but worx bikes take lots of workx.

|

10/26/2011 4:20 PM

Use www.fusiononeusa.com - they'll strip it, polish and clear coat it for a small price

|

10/26/2011 4:21 PM

peelout wrote:

Bro Black?

|

www.cheaptearoffs.com

10/26/2011 4:22 PM

Thanks for the tips so far. I've used high temp bbq paint on bikes I've sold before but that stuff seems to wear off pretty quick. I'll try stripping it with paint remover and if it doesn't hold up well I'll just repaint it. I'll try to post some pics when its done.

|

www.cheaptearoffs.com

10/26/2011 4:22 PM

peelout wrote:

Deetsmx wrote:

Bro Black?

or red chrome, bitches LOVE red chrome

|

10/26/2011 4:25 PM

the talk on the prerunner forums is that wd reformulated and no longer prevents rust.

|

10/26/2011 4:26 PM

I couldn't find it on google for my first post but Kalgaurd made the best exhaust paint back when I painted my vintage bikes exhaust.

|

10/26/2011 4:31 PM

For stripping, try a hot tank in a machine shop. The chemicals aren't as agressive as they used to be, but cheap and save you some labour. Fairly certain the clear coat won't take the heat. Not made for that application. WD will still work, just hit and wipe it off and hit it again. Soak it hard the second time.

|

10/26/2011 4:52 PM

|

The opinions expressed here are possibly not even those of the contributor.

10/26/2011 4:55 PM

RACEGUY wrote:

Hey, Cyggie... http://www.kal-gard.co.uk/

KIck ass! that's what I'm talkin bout!cool

|

10/26/2011 5:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2011 10:07 PM

I strip all my stock pipes, usually with a paint stripper from Autozone and a wire wheel, a little elbow grease but you'll be pleased at the end result, from there after every washing a scotchbrite and WD40 for upkeep...and people will usually ask,.."What kind of pipe is that?"...

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

10/26/2011 5:01 PM

It was Gun Kote. Designed for military applications. We used it on our beautiful hand-built Banke exhausts on the short-trackers.

|

The opinions expressed here are possibly not even those of the contributor.

10/26/2011 5:03 PM

RACEGUY wrote:

It was Gun Kote. Designed for military applications. We used it on our beautiful hand-built Banke exhausts on the short-trackers.

Yep. I used it on my Bassani CB1025F pipe

|

10/26/2011 7:18 PM

Dnlp D952 wrote:

I strip all my stock pipes, usually with a paint stripper from Autozone and a wire wheel, a little elbow grease but you'll be pleased at the end result, from there after every washing a scotchbrite and WD40 for upkeep...and people will usually ask,.."What kind of pipe is that?"...

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the replies.

|

www.cheaptearoffs.com

10/26/2011 8:00 PM

That's what I used to do back in the 80's. Strip the paint off with a wire brush and soak it with WD40 after every ride.

|

10/26/2011 9:45 PM

motosmith wrote:

I'm not sure how a clear coat would stand up to the heat?

Nickel plating is durable and looks pretty cool.

raw metal kept clean with metal etch and wd40 wipe down is still the best looking imho

|

10/26/2011 9:45 PM

Dnlp D952 wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

zactly...nice

|

10/26/2011 10:21 PM

Believe it or not but Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and scotchbrite will do the trick.

|

10/26/2011 10:54 PM

I having mine sand blasted right now. Then going to message it with some scotchbrite. We can compare results smile

|