Stripping paint off aluminum?

9/27/2021 11:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2021 2:30am
I’ve seen guys use lye on aluminum and it come out cleeeean but not sure if it will strip paint as well. Some idiot painted this 05 YZ125 frame and I’d like to get it back to its OG state with the least amount of physical effort (elbow grease) as possible.

What else could I use in this situation? Paint stripper? Acetone? It’s a primer/base coat. It’s actually on there pretty good too. Thought the pressure washer would take it off, no such luck.

TIA

|
gristle568
9/27/2021 11:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2021 11:42pm
I’ve used the aircraft stripper to get powder coat off an aluminum swingarm with good luck, paint should be no problem. The stuff is pretty gnarly so use gloves and do it outside.
SilverSpurs
9/28/2021 2:11am
Paint stripper- methylene chloride is the stuff.
Elliot
9/28/2021 3:50am
Heat gun.

SLAPAHO
Fantasy
642nd
9/28/2021 5:23am
The easiest would be to have it soda or walnut shell blasted.

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2247th
9/28/2021 6:12am
Have it media blasted then hand clean with scotch brit and soap/water to get the look you desire.
kb228
9/28/2021 7:40am
I would use aircraft paint stripper then have the frame vapor blasted. Will be brand new again
FWYT
9/28/2021 7:47am
Take it to a pro shop and send the bill to the dipshit that painted it first. Smile
40acres
9/28/2021 8:22am
x2 for aircraft paint remover from any local auto parts store. Just spray it on and stand back.

9/28/2021 8:34am
FWYT wrote:
Take it to a pro shop and send the bill to the dipshit that painted it first. Smile
No doubt lol like who the fuck thought this was a good look 😩
suspensionguy
Fantasy
1724th
9/28/2021 9:29am
Jasco paint stripper. Brush it on heavy, pressure wash it off. Burns a little if you get it on your skin.
murph783
9/28/2021 10:00am
Fuck that thing is ugly
PNWRider
9/28/2021 10:49am Edited Date/Time 9/28/2021 10:50am
FWYT wrote:
It really needs some spoke skins and monster stickers to complete the look…Laughing
9/28/2021 11:18am
FWYT wrote:
PNWRider wrote:
It really needs some spoke skins and monster stickers to complete the look…Laughing
I bought it in parts, its getting parted out on eBay as we speak.gonna cover a good chunk of the $$ I just spent on my 2022 CRF450. none the less, it was VERY clean outside of the bs paint on the frame and random overspray on some parts I simply wiped off with lacquer thinner. all the parts had been cleaned throughly so saved me plenty of time for getting the parts onto eBay. had my initial investment back off 2 sales in less than 24 hours. so I'm not complaining. the frame is worth good money though so definitely wanna get it looking right before I sell it. from what I can see its incredibly clean looking under the paint. Should clean up nice.
9/28/2021 11:21am
FWYT wrote:
PNWRider wrote:
something that ugly isn't complete without a blacked out swingarm and only one rim spray painted black
JBernard_401
9/28/2021 11:52am
This is a better option than the aircraft paint remover, that stuff is super nasty and noxious.

https://www.amazon.com/Citristrip-QCSG801-Paint-Varnish-Stripping/dp/B0…

It's not as aggressive, so depending on the paint thickness (doesnt look that thickly applied on the frame picture) may have to do a couple coats and scrape in between.

One tip is to get some plastic sheeting/drop cloth (thin as possible) and after you coat the frame, lay the plastic on it like a bandage so the least amount of air is in contact with the stripper gel, it will help it not dry out as fast and do a better job.
TunaBro
9/28/2021 12:49pm
Just have a blast shop take care of it. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes with low pressure as to not damage the aluminum under the paint.
BAD10
9/28/2021 3:02pm
Aircraft stripper would be the way to go for sure. Problem is, the EPA outlawed Methylene Chloride, which was the main active ingredient in the good paint strippers, now they barely work at all. Look at the pic of the can posted above and it says NON Methylene Chloride. Any of the other stuff others have posted doesn't work for shit either. Sorry, don't shoot the messenger. I have a paint and bodyshop..... ask me how I know.
tobz
9/28/2021 3:24pm
murph783 wrote:
Fuck that thing is ugly
Apparently Neon is what kings road on in the glory days.
9/28/2021 3:54pm
BAD10 wrote:
Aircraft stripper would be the way to go for sure. Problem is, the EPA outlawed Methylene Chloride, which was the main active ingredient in the good...
Aircraft stripper would be the way to go for sure. Problem is, the EPA outlawed Methylene Chloride, which was the main active ingredient in the good paint strippers, now they barely work at all. Look at the pic of the can posted above and it says NON Methylene Chloride. Any of the other stuff others have posted doesn't work for shit either. Sorry, don't shoot the messenger. I have a paint and bodyshop..... ask me how I know.
Is there anything the government doesn’t fuck up these days? Sheeesh
9/28/2021 4:08pm
Inventing new issues and ways to collect taxes from working Americans.
9/28/2021 4:18pm
Inventing new issues and ways to collect taxes from working Americans.
Unfortunately you hit the nail right on the head with that one.
BAD10
9/28/2021 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2021 4:33pm
BAD10 wrote:
Aircraft stripper would be the way to go for sure. Problem is, the EPA outlawed Methylene Chloride, which was the main active ingredient in the good...
Yup! VOC compliant is code for "we took the good stuff out so it wont work nearly as good, but we still want you to buy it" Angry You could try Using the available aircraft stripper and get the thick brush on kind. Lay it on super thick and only brush it on minimally in one direction, as going back and forth ruins what little anti evaporation qualities it has. After laying it on thick, wrap the area with a plastic or saran wrap, to prevent evaporation, and let it sit for a few hours. If you come back and its wrinkled up and soft you're in luck. Which is not usually the news we like to hear!Woohoo
9/28/2021 6:18pm
BAD10 wrote:
BAD10 wrote:
Yup! VOC compliant is code for "we took the good stuff out so it wont work nearly as good, but we still want you to buy...
Yup! VOC compliant is code for "we took the good stuff out so it wont work nearly as good, but we still want you to buy it" Angry You could try Using the available aircraft stripper and get the thick brush on kind. Lay it on super thick and only brush it on minimally in one direction, as going back and forth ruins what little anti evaporation qualities it has. After laying it on thick, wrap the area with a plastic or saran wrap, to prevent evaporation, and let it sit for a few hours. If you come back and its wrinkled up and soft you're in luck. Which is not usually the news we like to hear!Woohoo
I appreciate the info man. I do have a pressure washer as well so should make life easy on getting all that shit off.
FGR01
Fantasy
1384th
9/28/2021 6:33pm
BAD10 wrote:
BAD10
9/28/2021 7:13pm
BAD10 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the link!! I'll be using it and putting it back in the offending can of stripper. LOL
FGR01
Fantasy
1384th
9/28/2021 8:30pm
BAD10 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
BAD10 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the link!! I'll be using it and putting it back in the offending can of stripper. LOL
I've never used this stuff to strip paint! Just pointing out there's a way to get the chemical. No idea what % concentration or other ingredients were in aircraft stripper vs. this pure stuff! LOL User caution encouraged!
9/28/2021 8:36pm
BAD10 wrote:
BAD10 wrote:
Yup! VOC compliant is code for "we took the good stuff out so it wont work nearly as good, but we still want you to buy...
Have you tried ruffing up the surface with some sandpaper or scotchbrite 1st before applying stripper?
9/28/2021 9:06pm
I bought it in parts, its getting parted out on eBay as we speak.gonna cover a good chunk of the $$ I just spent on my...
I bought it in parts, its getting parted out on eBay as we speak.gonna cover a good chunk of the $$ I just spent on my 2022 CRF450. none the less, it was VERY clean outside of the bs paint on the frame and random overspray on some parts I simply wiped off with lacquer thinner. all the parts had been cleaned throughly so saved me plenty of time for getting the parts onto eBay. had my initial investment back off 2 sales in less than 24 hours. so I'm not complaining. the frame is worth good money though so definitely wanna get it looking right before I sell it. from what I can see its incredibly clean looking under the paint. Should clean up nice.
Stolen.
9/29/2021 2:28am
I bought it in parts, its getting parted out on eBay as we speak.gonna cover a good chunk of the $$ I just spent on my...
Stolen.
I guess the title I got with it is stolen too, dipshit.
9/29/2021 2:30am
BAD10 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
You’re the goat 😬👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾

Post a reply to: Stripping paint off aluminum?

The Latest