Strapping bikes in a toy hauler

Need some ideas. Trying to fit three dirtbikes and a harley in a 10ft toy hauler garage. Any ideas on how to strap them and set them up so they fit and its not to hard to load and unload?
|
mx836
12/31/2016 6:22am
Leave the Harley behind. Should be easy then and there won't be any oil spots in your toy hauler.
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
307th
12/31/2016 6:34am
mx836 wrote:
Leave the Harley behind. Should be easy then and there won't be any oil spots in your toy hauler.
This. And drive your truck.
12/31/2016 7:17am
mx836 wrote:
MX Dad #27 wrote:
This. And drive your truck.
Its an outlaw class a toy hauler. Not a 5th wheel or tag along, so i need the harley if i have to run to a store or something.
mx317
12/31/2016 7:28am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 7:29am
Bumper rack?

The Shop

Canoe589
12/31/2016 7:40am
mx836 wrote:
lol...
neysbo
12/31/2016 7:46am
Will they fit sideways, pretty sure they should with an Outlaw , I would think they would all fit that way or like someone said, put one of the dirtbikes on a hitch hauler

Its169
12/31/2016 7:53am
Mark out the area you have in the garage with chalk on your driveway. Then try to configure out how to get the bikes to fit in that area. Use E track and bike shoes to secure bikes in the garage area. You will get them in.
12/31/2016 7:55am
This isn't your exact situation but has some good tips/inspiration for you.
Mx286
12/31/2016 8:06am
If they will fit in sideways use a E track and turn buckles. Set the E track down the middle of the garage, put the bikes on the stands over top of it and hook the turn buckles into the pegs. You don't climb over the bikes and worry about loosening straps to take the pressure of the forks. Plus it's a lot more sturdy. But I don't believe you'd get the Harley in.
12/31/2016 8:27am
Mx286 wrote:
If they will fit in sideways use a E track and turn buckles. Set the E track down the middle of the garage, put the bikes...
If they will fit in sideways use a E track and turn buckles. Set the E track down the middle of the garage, put the bikes on the stands over top of it and hook the turn buckles into the pegs. You don't climb over the bikes and worry about loosening straps to take the pressure of the forks. Plus it's a lot more sturdy. But I don't believe you'd get the Harley in.
I normaly have 2 bikes facing foward on stands. I use ratchet straps though not turnbuckles. I love it but its kind of tough to get the second on on the stand. I can probably get three like that but deffinitley no room for the harley.
RCMXracing
12/31/2016 8:48am
Get an old set of handlebars, cut them way down. Use as a temporary way to push the bike and strap the bike. Bike will fit Into hall of your class A. Tie it in there.
Don't bother to disconnect throttle, levers, etc. from "real" bars. They can just lay sideways on bike.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
12/31/2016 9:26am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 9:28am
We recently packed 5 dirtbikes in our hauler for a long trip. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. Here's what we did though.

First, this all depends on where your tie down locations are in the trailer. If you have 2 in the very back of the trailer and another 2 closer to the front of the trailer, you can do the following. You are essentially going to put 2 closer to the front, 2 in the back against the drop down door and inter-weave the rear of the bikes so that you can still use the front tie downs with them being strapped to your foot pegs. Hopefully this makes sense.

1) Load the front 2 bikes loose in the trailer on a side stand. Place your bike stand (not side stand, but your normal bike stand) in a location that you can strap the foot pegs down to the tie down locations. Before you put the bikes on the stands, place an old towel down on the floor so you don't damage your floor with the stand, then put down a piece of plywood on top of the towel so you have a hard base under the stands. Then put the stands on the plywood. This will protect your floor from the stand and the weight of the bikes cutting/rubbing holes in your flooring. Put the bikes on the stands but leave them loose - make sure you leave room to put the other 2 bikes in the back of the trailer inter-weaved between the front 2 bikes. Next, strap the bike stands down to the tie downs using ratchet style tie downs. Next, strap the bikes down to the tie downs from the foot pegs to the tie down locations using ratchet style straps so you can make them really tight. This should keep the front two bikes in place on the stands.

Next, back the other 2 bikes into the toy hauler into the gaps left open from the front 2 bikes and tie them down to the back tie downs with the front wheels up against the back door. All 4 bikes should be alternated and weaved together in the trailer. The back 2 bikes facing the back door and strapped down and the front 2 bikes facing forward and all 4 back wheels relatively close together. The last step would be to bungee strap the rear wheels together just to prevent any case of the front bikes moving around on the stands.

Again, sorry I don't have pictures but hopefully this is helpful. IT worked very well for us as we got 5 bikes in the back of the hauler. All traveled safe and sound for 5 hours each way of the trip.
12/31/2016 9:30am
Its169 wrote:
Mark out the area you have in the garage with chalk on your driveway. Then try to configure out how to get the bikes to fit...
Mark out the area you have in the garage with chalk on your driveway. Then try to configure out how to get the bikes to fit in that area. Use E track and bike shoes to secure bikes in the garage area. You will get them in.
You know thats a great idea.
12/31/2016 10:34am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 10:35am
TbonesPop wrote:
We recently packed 5 dirtbikes in our hauler for a long trip. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. Here's what we did though. First, this all...
We recently packed 5 dirtbikes in our hauler for a long trip. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. Here's what we did though.

First, this all depends on where your tie down locations are in the trailer. If you have 2 in the very back of the trailer and another 2 closer to the front of the trailer, you can do the following. You are essentially going to put 2 closer to the front, 2 in the back against the drop down door and inter-weave the rear of the bikes so that you can still use the front tie downs with them being strapped to your foot pegs. Hopefully this makes sense.

1) Load the front 2 bikes loose in the trailer on a side stand. Place your bike stand (not side stand, but your normal bike stand) in a location that you can strap the foot pegs down to the tie down locations. Before you put the bikes on the stands, place an old towel down on the floor so you don't damage your floor with the stand, then put down a piece of plywood on top of the towel so you have a hard base under the stands. Then put the stands on the plywood. This will protect your floor from the stand and the weight of the bikes cutting/rubbing holes in your flooring. Put the bikes on the stands but leave them loose - make sure you leave room to put the other 2 bikes in the back of the trailer inter-weaved between the front 2 bikes. Next, strap the bike stands down to the tie downs using ratchet style tie downs. Next, strap the bikes down to the tie downs from the foot pegs to the tie down locations using ratchet style straps so you can make them really tight. This should keep the front two bikes in place on the stands.

Next, back the other 2 bikes into the toy hauler into the gaps left open from the front 2 bikes and tie them down to the back tie downs with the front wheels up against the back door. All 4 bikes should be alternated and weaved together in the trailer. The back 2 bikes facing the back door and strapped down and the front 2 bikes facing forward and all 4 back wheels relatively close together. The last step would be to bungee strap the rear wheels together just to prevent any case of the front bikes moving around on the stands.

Again, sorry I don't have pictures but hopefully this is helpful. IT worked very well for us as we got 5 bikes in the back of the hauler. All traveled safe and sound for 5 hours each way of the trip.
Thanks alot for the input. Im going to try this out.
Jack mehoff
12/31/2016 11:22am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 11:25am
The other way they fit is staggered load the first with the bats towards the drivers side , next bike with the bars going towards the drivers side third bike back towards drivers side then the Harley hope it ain't a full dresser cut a 2 x10 pull the front in and use a floor jack to pick it up and push the ass end in and buy a bunch off furniture blankets from Home Depot to wrap it in good luck it's a royal pia also you need to run e track front to back on the floor bolth sides and I have it on the walls to run a tie down trough the rear wheels so the don't bounce into the other bikes
Starcrossed
12/31/2016 3:35pm
I would want to put the HD over the center line of the trailer, flanked by a dirt bike on each side, facing either direction. If you're tongue heavy put the third mxer across the front. Tongue light, roll the HD and flankers all the way forward and put the 3rd mxer across the back.
e-wa
12/31/2016 4:09pm
I put them in my trailer at a angle against the wall ////
LowPsi
12/31/2016 6:41pm
Use a long bungee cord from one foot peg over the seat to the other peg. this folds the pegs up and you gain a few inches. Getting the right length bungee is critical.
Starcrossed
12/31/2016 6:44pm
LowPsi wrote:
Use a long bungee cord from one foot peg over the seat to the other peg. this folds the pegs up and you gain a few...
Use a long bungee cord from one foot peg over the seat to the other peg. this folds the pegs up and you gain a few inches. Getting the right length bungee is critical.
Or you can tie knots in them to increase the tension in small increments.
rrjr
12/31/2016 9:49pm
Is it a toyhauler like this?
Ride the Harley in 1st, right in the middle as far as you can. Put a dirt bike on each side rear wheel first and put the last one sideways across the back.

1/1/2017 1:04pm
Thanks for everyones ideas. I started setting stuff up this morning. I put the harley in first and it looked like eveing would fit but i decided to just leave it home. I have a street legal supermoto im going to take instead. Everythings in just need to put the supermoto and get 2 more bike stands and it will be good.

1/1/2017 7:02pm
Judging by you picture it looks like this is your company? They look really cool. Think you would be abale to get one to me by wednesday or thursday.
1/25/2017 8:50am
Never posted a picture of everything all loaded so here it is. Also the whole setup because we were going to the mecum aution in kissimee.

huck
1/25/2017 9:00am
I loaded 5 in my toy hauler, with all the gear/fuel/pressure washer/and mtn bikes. Just load them left and right... alternate each one and it worked great.

Post a reply to: Strapping bikes in a toy hauler

The Latest