RandyS
Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 5:23pm
Poll

Straight Rhythm 2018

Choices
|
ForToo
10/20/2018 9:39pm
Parameters a bit skewed. For some reason I couldn't find "best event in history".
RandyS
10/20/2018 9:42pm
ForToo wrote:
Parameters a bit skewed. For some reason I couldn't find "best event in history".
I didn't want to go overboard but that is the most into any race I've been in at least 10.
Moto96
10/20/2018 10:06pm
Answer 5.
Its 2 strokes. There can be no bad with 2 strokes.
4 stroke racing sucks. 2 stroke racing rules.
Its mostly a runaway with 4 strokes.
A1 is going to be a letdown in comparison.
4 stroke sounds like shit.
4 stroke doesnt smell good like a hot chick that walks by smelling all yummy.
The top guys have no problems doing SX on 2 strokes.
Big pipes and short silencers save lives. Why are we racing dirt bikes with diesel truck mufflers?
Cone pipes are as sexy as the hottest of chicks.
4 stroke pipes look like parts from Home Depot plumbing.
You can rebuild one with a basic toolkit.

aeffertz
10/20/2018 10:29pm
So there wasn’t an answer that really fit my feelings even though I picked “best ever” but I’ll try to explain it quick, in a beer fueled, post-race rant.

In previous years, excluding the very first event and TP on his RM-Zilla... I found this event fun to watch as it bridged the gap between outdoors and SX but it unfortunately began to drag on after the first hour. Between the select few top pros that wanted to, or were obligated to, race the event.... The elimination races were usually a blow out and you had to trudge through 2 more hours until you got to watch the finals in the last 20 minutes.

But man has RedBull taken a keen ear and a swift notice on the recent 2-stroke resurgence and ran with it. This year’s event was from start-to-finish action packed. So much so, I had a hard time figuring out when I could run to the bathroom and drain the alcohol from my system that I was expecting to be needed to make this event exciting. Even the preshow brought excitement and intrigue and started to bring more hype than I was expecting.

There legitimately wasn’t a dull moment and thankfully it went rather smoothly, barring Stank Dog’s crash. (Hopefully he’s okay!) After the first round of 250s, the 125s came out. Not only did they hold the bar, they fucking raised it as the event went on!

Seeing a mix of past pros, current top guys and a mix of pros and up-and-comers throughout was absolutely fantastic. Seeing the throwback graphics, gear and nods to past legends was just the icing on the cake. Not to mention the custom built smokers from each brand and private companies coming out in full force.

I’ll stop rambling and cut it short. RedBull started this event and over the few short years took it from just another side show to an event we can actually anticipate and be excited for. Kudos to all those involved in running the event and of course all the the riders that showed up to compete. I can truthfully say I cannot wait until next years event!

Cheers.

The Shop

therealhammer
10/21/2018 7:21pm
aeffertz wrote:
So there wasn’t an answer that really fit my feelings even though I picked “best ever” but I’ll try to explain it quick, in a beer...
So there wasn’t an answer that really fit my feelings even though I picked “best ever” but I’ll try to explain it quick, in a beer fueled, post-race rant.

In previous years, excluding the very first event and TP on his RM-Zilla... I found this event fun to watch as it bridged the gap between outdoors and SX but it unfortunately began to drag on after the first hour. Between the select few top pros that wanted to, or were obligated to, race the event.... The elimination races were usually a blow out and you had to trudge through 2 more hours until you got to watch the finals in the last 20 minutes.

But man has RedBull taken a keen ear and a swift notice on the recent 2-stroke resurgence and ran with it. This year’s event was from start-to-finish action packed. So much so, I had a hard time figuring out when I could run to the bathroom and drain the alcohol from my system that I was expecting to be needed to make this event exciting. Even the preshow brought excitement and intrigue and started to bring more hype than I was expecting.

There legitimately wasn’t a dull moment and thankfully it went rather smoothly, barring Stank Dog’s crash. (Hopefully he’s okay!) After the first round of 250s, the 125s came out. Not only did they hold the bar, they fucking raised it as the event went on!

Seeing a mix of past pros, current top guys and a mix of pros and up-and-comers throughout was absolutely fantastic. Seeing the throwback graphics, gear and nods to past legends was just the icing on the cake. Not to mention the custom built smokers from each brand and private companies coming out in full force.

I’ll stop rambling and cut it short. RedBull started this event and over the few short years took it from just another side show to an event we can actually anticipate and be excited for. Kudos to all those involved in running the event and of course all the the riders that showed up to compete. I can truthfully say I cannot wait until next years event!

Cheers.

Red Bull is just tying to suprise the race fans for one night by giving them something they don't normally see . We are proud of what we were able to create . At this point who knows about next year .

Just image what an Adam Ciancurlo, Aaron plessinger , ken roczen, Dean Wilson or a Jason Anderson could bring to the event . However with those guy continuing to not participate for one reason or another it makes the future of the event a bit in limbo as it doesn't seem like they want to be apart of it .

Thanks for the note.
gerg
10/21/2018 7:35pm
Red Bull appear to be a company that know what customers want and actually deliver it to them.
bodean123
Fantasy
2112th
10/21/2018 7:42pm
aeffertz wrote:
So there wasn’t an answer that really fit my feelings even though I picked “best ever” but I’ll try to explain it quick, in a beer...

Cheers.
Red Bull is just tying to suprise the race fans for one night by giving them something they don't normally see . We are proud of...

Red Bull is just tying to suprise the race fans for one night by giving them something they don't normally see . We are proud of what we were able to create . At this point who knows about next year .

Just image what an Adam Ciancurlo, Aaron plessinger , ken roczen, Dean Wilson or a Jason Anderson could bring to the event . However with those guy continuing to not participate for one reason or another it makes the future of the event a bit in limbo as it doesn't seem like they want to be apart of it .

Thanks for the note.
Any reason or explanation as to why those guys won’t compete? Is it their teams that don’t want them too, or are they truly not interested in the event.

Would larger purses sway them?
10/21/2018 7:48pm
I thought it was great too but what was up with all the speed check walls? Just to slow the guys down and keep them close? I could see one but I thought the amount they had was overkill. Id like too see a few replaced with deep sand sections. I think rollers on the course would be cool too.
Doddy
10/21/2018 7:51pm
Red Bull is just tying to suprise the race fans for one night by giving them something they don't normally see . We are proud of...

Thanks for the note.
Their loss. Best race event of the year.
Neverclear
10/21/2018 7:58pm

Thanks for the note.
I would think some of those guys may consider attending next year. If they don't, that's their loss. As others have said, I couldn't pull myself away from the TV, and was just as excited watching Cat, Durham & other non-factory racers as I was about Dungey & RV.
The concept was great & the racing was excellent. Thanks for making it happen.
therealhammer
10/21/2018 8:34pm
Kx125rider wrote:
I thought it was great too but what was up with all the speed check walls? Just to slow the guys down and keep them close...
I thought it was great too but what was up with all the speed check walls? Just to slow the guys down and keep them close? I could see one but I thought the amount they had was overkill. Id like too see a few replaced with deep sand sections. I think rollers on the course would be cool too.
Yeah . The speed checks are put at around 300-400 feet to simulate the length of a rhythm section from say home base to the outfield wall in a traditional
Supercross . If you don't you start to build speed that is much higher than these guys are used to hitting these jumps at which could cause issue . We do our best to keep it some what normal for the riders even in this unusual track lay out
therealhammer
10/21/2018 8:39pm
aeffertz wrote:

Cheers.

Thanks for the note.
bodean123 wrote:
Any reason or explanation as to why those guys won’t compete? Is it their teams that don’t want them too, or are they truly not interested...
Any reason or explanation as to why those guys won’t compete? Is it their teams that don’t want them too, or are they truly not interested in the event.

Would larger purses sway them?
Obviously the 2 strokes were an issue this year for some but we figured we gave them 4 years to come on a 450 and they never did so no need to keep holding our breath.

There are certainly some polictics involved, the riders though have a voice. We think it's a shame since it only deprives the fans of a fun night with insanely unique story lines that don't happen anywhere else .
kb228
10/21/2018 8:49pm
The last moto of monster cup was way more exciting than straight rhythm. Was still a good event. Totally forgot how much of a difference it makes on a 125 to make a triple. Racing on 2 strokes is better i think.
RACERX69
10/21/2018 8:50pm
Most exciting race I've seen since 2005, the last year for 2-stroke 250's in SX.
10/21/2018 9:16pm
Ex-pros vs ex-pros & ex-pros vs up & comers made it interesting to me—nothing to do with 2 strokes.

There was plenty of close racing every year before, people were just more excited because of 2 stroke nostalgia, IMO.

I think if anything, 2 strokes robbed us of Christophe Pourcel, but maybe he doesn't ride if it wasn't 2 strokes to begin with.
pbody
Fantasy
347th
10/21/2018 11:06pm
The 2 strokes made for better racing. Lot more lead changes and photo finishes.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/22/2018 1:26am
aeffertz wrote:

Cheers.

Thanks for the note.
Sure it would be nice to have some bigger names out there racing the event but regardless the event was great and people loved it.

Personally, I think the event being 2 stroke only just made it that much better.

There was plenty of people interested even without the bigger names.

Do yourself a favor, scroll down the moto-related page and take a look at the amount of views these 2 threads received.

Red Bull Straight Rhythm Race Discussion

2018 Red Bull Straight Rhythm

I really hope the event comes back in 2019 and that they keep it 2 stroke only. The way the riders get into it with the throwback themes is just awesome.

Just a thought but maybe add a supermini class and an 1980's bike class earlier in the day with the 150 and 250/Open class at night. Or add one of those 2 classes to the night program alongside the 150 and 250 classes. I think either of them would be great.
10/22/2018 3:46am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2018 3:48am
The 2 strokes made it this year, the retro vibe was also cool.

I'm not really bothered by the event otherwise - I'm glad it's free and like to tune in for an hour or so (it's very late here with the time difference). This year it was exceptionally entertaining I must admit.

As has been stated a million times now it really makes you pine some sort of angle to be found for the smokers to be worked back into professional SX racing - a 2 stroke class etc.
10/22/2018 5:11am
It’s entertaining enough as a one off but it would get boring very fast if there were more events the same. Wouldn’t mind seeing a 2t championship run alongside the Supercross championship
cpyz300
10/22/2018 5:52am
I enjoyed monster cup way more just because I prefer laps and turns, but rbsr was good fun still. My only complaint is that I'd rather see more active top pros race it.

Truly a shame that 4 strokes took over though, because the 2 strokes really were making the night in regards to the racing.
Question
10/22/2018 6:06am
2 stroke, legends, a nice communication around the 90's = great event ! So I would call it one of the races to see during the year, but nothing more. Championships are actually more interesting as this format would get, I think, boring very fast too. Is it more interesting than the MxdN ? No. Than A1? No. Than the MEC ? Well it depends of which year, some years it provided great racing and anyway usually there is at least 1 of the 3 motos that is epic. Overall happy to see the RBSR, it is a cool event, but calling it the best event in the last 5 years is a big strech. Wink
huck
10/22/2018 6:28am
Retired racers finishing at the top...says a lot about the current competition.
Boring....
Moto96
10/22/2018 6:47am
Just some points. A1 Last year thread had about 20-23 Pages or something. By the 3rd or 4th round most were 8-13 pages, pretty low interest for SX.. Some were dead with minimal activity.
The outdoors threads were basically average to minimal interest..

This event had 2 full threads of 14-16 pages(last I checked) with the largest thread before the race even started !

A1 is going to stink and sound like shit. In comparison, Dungey never looked, sounded or smelled so good in all of his pro career!

RBSR is my favorite race of the year, (but it got MUCH better when they brought in 2 strokes. 2 strokes sound like racing. It's just better. )

Full disclosure, Ive never bought a 4 stroke for the dirt. And never will.
10/22/2018 6:59am
Me and my gf watched it until the very end. I thought it was exciting and was on the edge of my seat most of the time. I don't know whats not to like. 2 strokes, cool bike builds, great riders, close racing, and the broadcast was A+
It's just a cool one off event and I look forward to it next year.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
10/22/2018 7:50am
huck wrote:
Retired racers finishing at the top...says a lot about the current competition.
Boring....
A current racer won 250 and a new kid on the block won 125.
Phantom 661
10/22/2018 10:45am
Let us bow our heads and give thanks for this outstanding event.
10/22/2018 1:34pm
Slower bikes allow for better, closer racing. Bring back a 125 class in the professional ranks. It was entertaining watching some of the guys on 125s make mistakes and lose time or take risks and gain time during rbsr.
shuggs
10/22/2018 1:55pm
Mm dunno if it should be 2t only next year. This year with all the nineties segments it made it very watchable.

If they would give an honest reply why not ask the pros (that didn’t race) what they want to make them turn up
10/22/2018 4:11pm
Moto96 wrote:
Just some points. A1 Last year thread had about 20-23 Pages or something. By the 3rd or 4th round most were 8-13 pages, pretty low interest...
Just some points. A1 Last year thread had about 20-23 Pages or something. By the 3rd or 4th round most were 8-13 pages, pretty low interest for SX.. Some were dead with minimal activity.
The outdoors threads were basically average to minimal interest..

This event had 2 full threads of 14-16 pages(last I checked) with the largest thread before the race even started !

A1 is going to stink and sound like shit. In comparison, Dungey never looked, sounded or smelled so good in all of his pro career!

RBSR is my favorite race of the year, (but it got MUCH better when they brought in 2 strokes. 2 strokes sound like racing. It's just better. )

Full disclosure, Ive never bought a 4 stroke for the dirt. And never will.
Red Bull Straight Rhythm is unique in that it was a retro 2 stroke theme. Of course there is going to be discussion and buzz about it. The length of the threads mean nothing. We discuss the SX and MX series all year long and I can assure you that people are much more passionate about that than the straight rhythm.

Post a reply to: Straight Rhythm 2018 poll

The Latest