Stop comparing riders to James

sandtrack315
Edited Date/Time 10/2/2022 8:29pm
Comparing anyone to James just shows you have no fine-grained knowledge of the sport. Lots of people are talented and fast. No one is going to be like James, ever.

1. Everyone feared James. Even Ricky Carmichael, the GOAT, knew he couldn't beat James with raw speed. If someone beats Ricky's outdoor win number, and then that dude fears someone else's speed, we can revisit comparisons to James. But I am betting this never happens.

2. James was not happy if he didn't win by 30 seconds, making it obvious no one was on his level. This just is not an effective career or life choice. We probably won't see something like this ever again. It's commendable, but not smart.

3. James had so much aggression on the bike. If people tried to ride like that today, with the power of 450s, it wouldn't be the fastest way around the track. The sport has changed, and we won't ever see someone ride like James did on the 125.

I am fine with saying riders are generational. Riders come in and change the game, that's for sure. That is the progression of the sport. In that respect, sure, James was generational, and other riders will be as well. That progression in the sport is exactly why no one will be like James. No one will have the raw speed, aggression, and win or die trying attitude James had. Let his career be singular, because it is.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/29/2022 8:26am
I feel the opposite. Comparisons are inevitable and time worthy. Sure, I agree that nobody will ever be exactly like James, but we've seen a long list of "win or die trying" riders, and we're likely to see another someday, even on modern 450s.
wreckitrandy
9/29/2022 8:45am
"Couldn't beat James with raw speed"..... So RC never passed James and just checked out? Maybe it wasn't "straight up"?
BigBoreFan58
9/29/2022 8:45am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2022 8:46am
I don't know, for RC to beat James, and finish in front of James, wouldn't RC have to be going faster than James?

What cracks me up is when a pro is four years into his career, has a good year and suddenly he's the new RC.

DangerBoy is the new everyone. He'll shred all the records.

The Shop

9/29/2022 8:52am
The great JS7? That guy that ruined his career taking peds. People will always compare the current best to the past best in every sport
Presley155
9/29/2022 8:56am
I have seen pretty much every great racer ride in person from RJ, Wardy, to MC, Fro, Villo, Dungey, RC, KDub, AC222, Herlings, etc. and James is without question the one that left me most amazed. His explosiveness and what I can only describe as athleticism on a bike are second to no one. He may not have RC's win totals (he's still second all time), but if you asked most people if they could only watch one rider in person who would it be? I think it would be a resounding James Stewart.
9/29/2022 9:18am
The great JS7? That guy that ruined his career taking peds. People will always compare the current best to the past best in every sport
You’re just plain ignorant
toroP
9/29/2022 9:29am
OP
“People need to stop having opinions contrary to mine”.
Johnny Ringo
9/29/2022 9:34am
Can you provide any evidence that RC was afraid of James’ speed outdoors? Pretty sure RC knew he had bubs covered outside right up till the end
Johnny Ringo
9/29/2022 9:36am
Can’t we just enjoy watching Jett race? Appreciate him for what he is before he’s gone.
sandtrack315
9/29/2022 10:18am
Can you provide any evidence that RC was afraid of James’ speed outdoors? Pretty sure RC knew he had bubs covered outside right up till the...
Can you provide any evidence that RC was afraid of James’ speed outdoors? Pretty sure RC knew he had bubs covered outside right up till the end
He's said many times he knew he couldn't beat him straight up, because James would just keep going faster if he pushed him.
9/29/2022 10:35am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2022 10:37am
You’re just plain ignorant
Alright well what did James do after his ban? Did he even win another race? It fucked his career up getting banned
Johnny Ringo
9/29/2022 10:39am
Can you provide any evidence that RC was afraid of James’ speed outdoors? Pretty sure RC knew he had bubs covered outside right up till the...
He's said many times he knew he couldn't beat him straight up, because James would just keep going faster if he pushed him.
You just saying that doesn’t make it a fact.

Please link RC saying he feared James outdoors. You won’t be able to, because it doesn’t exist.
mxb2
9/29/2022 11:00am
Rc never lost a outdoor title to james.
Johnny Ringo
9/29/2022 11:03am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2022 11:04am
mxb2 wrote:
You could have left off the last two words of that sentence

In fact, RC never had an outdoor title go down to the last round
mxb2
9/29/2022 11:16am
mxb2 wrote:
You could have left off the last two words of that sentence

In fact, RC never had an outdoor title go down to the last round
Good point.
ty159
9/29/2022 11:21am
mxb2 wrote:
RC never lost a SX title to James either.

Hell, the only people to beat RC for a title was McGrath in SX (twice) and Ferry (? I think) in a regional SX title.
mxb2
9/29/2022 11:25am
mxb2 wrote:
ty159 wrote:
RC never lost a SX title to James either. Hell, the only people to beat RC for a title was McGrath in SX (twice) and Ferry...

Hell, the only people to beat RC for a title was McGrath in SX (twice) and Ferry (? I think) in a regional SX title.
Correct. , My bad, thought it was outdoors we were talking about.
bvm111
9/29/2022 11:26am
no… i will not stop
ty159
9/29/2022 11:28am
mxb2 wrote:
ty159 wrote:
RC never lost a SX title to James either. Hell, the only people to beat RC for a title was McGrath in SX (twice) and Ferry...

mxb2 wrote:
We were, I was just stating some RC stats that, to me, are mind boggling.
mxb2
9/29/2022 11:47am
ty159 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
ty159 wrote:
We were, I was just stating some RC stats that, to me, are mind boggling.
Yep. Goat. Not even close.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/29/2022 11:50am

Please link RC saying he feared James outdoors. You won’t be able to, because it doesn’t exist.
You have seen the RC interview with Ping where he was afraid every week someone would figure out how to beat him especially Reed and James?
dsc131
9/29/2022 12:00pm
Comparing anyone to James just shows you have no fine-grained knowledge of the sport. Lots of people are talented and fast. No one is going to...
Comparing anyone to James just shows you have no fine-grained knowledge of the sport. Lots of people are talented and fast. No one is going to be like James, ever.

1. Everyone feared James. Even Ricky Carmichael, the GOAT, knew he couldn't beat James with raw speed. If someone beats Ricky's outdoor win number, and then that dude fears someone else's speed, we can revisit comparisons to James. But I am betting this never happens.

2. James was not happy if he didn't win by 30 seconds, making it obvious no one was on his level. This just is not an effective career or life choice. We probably won't see something like this ever again. It's commendable, but not smart.

3. James had so much aggression on the bike. If people tried to ride like that today, with the power of 450s, it wouldn't be the fastest way around the track. The sport has changed, and we won't ever see someone ride like James did on the 125.

I am fine with saying riders are generational. Riders come in and change the game, that's for sure. That is the progression of the sport. In that respect, sure, James was generational, and other riders will be as well. That progression in the sport is exactly why no one will be like James. No one will have the raw speed, aggression, and win or die trying attitude James had. Let his career be singular, because it is.
Didn't YOU just compare RC to James?

1. Read the title of your post
2. Look in the mirror.
sandtrack315
9/29/2022 12:02pm

wrc777 wrote:
You have seen the RC interview with Ping where he was afraid every week someone would figure out how to beat him especially Reed and James?
It’s good that you and James had that respect because I bet if you look back at it now and it had gotten nasty or dirty, it probably wouldn’t be a good look to see it that wat now. Better to see it as just hard racing.

Totally. That’s exactly what it was. My last supercross race at Orlando, same kind of thing. RedBud was so similar to Orlando. Just back and forth the whole time, good, clean racing. The thing about all three of us, got to include Chad on this, we were all willing to risk it all to win. Winning was everything. We didn’t look at each other. We didn’t talk to each other, for the most part. It was a race to get to the airport to get on the plane to get home first, and then how the heck am I going to beat this guy next weekend? That’s how it was. The rivalry was so intense. You could cut the air with a knife.

https://racerxonline.com/2020/04/28/between-the-motos-ricky-carmichael-…

Maybe "feared" is a strong word, but RC was never confident he could beat James.
sandtrack315
9/29/2022 12:04pm
dsc131 wrote:

2. Look in the mirror.
No, totally different riding styles, totally different approach to winning, totally different personalities...This is the same point. Just because two people are fast, does not mean they are the same.
dsc131
9/29/2022 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2022 12:19pm

When it comes to this video...

Are we supposed to focus on the part where he wore James ass out and James pulled over and let him by?

Or maybe the part where Ricky won?

Please let us know sandtrack.
dsc131
9/29/2022 12:06pm
dsc131 wrote:

2. Look in the mirror.
No, totally different riding styles, totally different approach to winning, totally different personalities...This is the same point. Just because two people are fast, does not mean...
No, totally different riding styles, totally different approach to winning, totally different personalities...This is the same point. Just because two people are fast, does not mean they are the same.
My point is that you want people to stop comparing other riders to James and then you compared another rider to James.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
9/29/2022 12:15pm
You think deegan might be the next 259 tho?
I don't think Danger boy is even the next Kyle Lewis.

Post a reply to: Stop comparing riders to James

The Latest