Stomach problems in our sport

jackson222
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:05am
Whats with all the stomach problems effecting our riders lately?
Chad Reed during MX, James Stewart at the moment and now we find out Christophe Pourcel was battling with a problem through the MX as well..

http://www.racerxonline.com/article/5-minutes-with-christophe-pourcel-1…

Is this becoming an excuse for the riders? Is it due to the training programs and being run down, or just bad luck?
|
Lightning78
11/18/2009 9:15pm
I noticed the same trend....whats with that? I have never heard these aling stomach problems till recently (within a few years till now), is there something concurrent with all the riders that is causing this? not saying this is some kind of excuse for something else but one has to wonder why all the stomach problems recently.....does it have to do with the chemicals being put into the dirt to harden it? What gives?
roguemx
11/18/2009 9:25pm
Pourcels are related to a somewhat recent injury, I don't think it's necessarily the same issue as Reeds or Stewarts. I wish I knew where I saw the report talking about ingesting dust and other particles from the soil that were making people sick. It was a good article.
crowe176
11/18/2009 9:25pm
Yeah, chemicals in the dirt, especially when it's the two guys who lead the most laps this season.

I'll take, "Balco" for $1000 Alex.
roguemx
11/18/2009 9:27pm
Because lapper's can't possibly kick up any soil?

The Shop

crowe176
11/18/2009 9:34pm
Damn those lappers. They never get out of the way, and now they're making the top riders so sick they can barely make it to the track.. LMAO
jackson222
11/18/2009 9:43pm
Those guys take no dirt in compared to the mid pack guys, if thats the issue then our sport should be ruined in the next few years due to dust inhalation.

Maybe its just bad luck for these guys at the same time, or something to hide behind?
roguemx
11/18/2009 9:48pm
I just wish i had the article... it was a good read. Or maybe it's a conspiracy by the mid pack guys to move up the ladder, one stomach issue at a time. haha
jmar
11/18/2009 10:03pm
Maybe the amount of work you have to put in to get to this level is taking its toll?

Could very well be some truth to that. I think the pressure to perform could have something to do with it also.
Ernosto
11/18/2009 10:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2009 10:37pm
Didn't Millsaps have some stomach issues -05 outdoors, his last year with Suzuki? And maybe even some 450 outdoors season with Honda?
JE215
Fantasy
1357th
11/18/2009 10:37pm
Is it me that riders go through a cycle of illnesses and injuries? A bunch will get Epstein Barr, then after that a bunch will get Mono, then a bunch get stomach ailments, and then ACL injuires?
mxcrf34
11/18/2009 10:53pm
Yea RC had the same issue a few years back in the nationals(I think it was his last year with Kawi or the first year with Honda). I remember reading something about this, but the amount of stress these guys put on their bodies, day in and day out is ridiculous. Especially the 450 guys, they run all 17 SX races then have less than 3 weeks till 12 Nationals. With all of the traveling, training and racing, they are constantly going and the body can only take so much. But I dont know to be honest lol. That's my 2 cents
robkinuk
11/19/2009 12:52am
I always have aserious stomach problem. It's too big!LaughingLaughing
RMZ819
11/19/2009 2:36am
jackson222 wrote:
Whats with all the stomach problems effecting our riders lately? Chad Reed during MX, James Stewart at the moment and now we find out Christophe Pourcel...
Chad Reed during MX, James Stewart at the moment and now we find out Christophe Pourcel was battling with a problem through the MX as well..

Is this becoming an excuse for the riders? Is it due to the training programs and being run down, or just bad luck?
Its a excuse. Reed's stomach was a big probem during SX last yr and up to the point RV and Alessi got hurt during the nationals. After that you never heard a thing. MY STOMACH HURTS is the new Epstein-Barr. I am not sure what ever happened to the Epstein-Barr excuse. I think it just got used up and went away.
soren346
11/19/2009 3:14am
roguemx wrote:
Pourcels are related to a somewhat recent injury, I don't think it's necessarily the same issue as Reeds or Stewarts. I wish I knew where I...
Pourcels are related to a somewhat recent injury, I don't think it's necessarily the same issue as Reeds or Stewarts. I wish I knew where I saw the report talking about ingesting dust and other particles from the soil that were making people sick. It was a good article.
Racer X sept. 09. The article was called "Dirt sandwiches" in Steve Cox's in other words column.
Jake-247
11/19/2009 3:58am
jackson222 wrote:
Whats with all the stomach problems effecting our riders lately? Chad Reed during MX, James Stewart at the moment and now we find out Christophe Pourcel...

RMZ819 wrote:
Its a excuse. Reed's stomach was a big probem during SX last yr and up to the point RV and Alessi got hurt during the nationals...
Its a excuse. Reed's stomach was a big probem during SX last yr and up to the point RV and Alessi got hurt during the nationals. After that you never heard a thing. MY STOMACH HURTS is the new Epstein-Barr. I am not sure what ever happened to the Epstein-Barr excuse. I think it just got used up and went away.
What? you honestly think it's an excuseBlink If you really know what was going on Reed was lining up in the nationals having no clue whatsoever. Hence pulling out of the last moto @ steel city. If you want I'll take a picture of an article where goose is talking about how bad Reed was having it?
mccread
11/19/2009 4:53am
jackson222 wrote:

RMZ819 wrote:
Its a excuse. Reed's stomach was a big probem during SX last yr and up to the point RV and Alessi got hurt during the nationals...
Reed was talking about pulling out of the nationals after colarodo because of long after RV and Alessi where gone... never let the facts get in the way of a good story. your hate for Reed is pretty disgraceful and uncalled for... you don't even know the guy, he is an amazing rider and deserves alot of respect, just like Stewart.

Pourcel has his problems from his accident in Northern Ireland it is not an excuse.

RC also had stomach problems- I supopse RC complaint was an excuse as well?
zippy895
11/19/2009 5:06am
its caused by the 4 stroke exhaust gasses.the riders are trying to inhale the smells as if they were looking for bean oil smells. its called 2 stroke withdrawal.lol
Nikhil
11/19/2009 5:07am
jackson222 wrote:

RMZ819 wrote:
Hardly, Reed complained of stomach problems even when he won High Point. He wasn't feeling better until around Millville.
staycasted
11/19/2009 6:28am
RV was sick in sx also for awhile... it could be a mixture of training, travel, exhaustion, and whatever supplements they take in to make their bodies run at peak levels
ktm300hater
11/19/2009 7:21am
I can remember as far back as Doug Henry having issues...doesnt anyone remember him getting IVs between motos?
ASH510
11/19/2009 7:22am
i gottta cure for all this health stuff.
10 SX and 10 MX split the yr up evenly.the guys
then have time to rest and drink and get
drunk and puke all the bad out of the body.
all the health food and shit is bad for yah.
j/k
ASH510
11/19/2009 7:23am
I can remember as far back as Doug Henry having issues...doesnt anyone remember him getting IVs between motos?
yes people were talkin shit about it back then.
ando
11/19/2009 8:25am
Three or four cases is hardly a sport wide issue. With that few I'd say it's much more likely to be just coincidence, especially if the underlying causes are different.

Unless of course there are many more unpublicised cases?
11/19/2009 8:28am
Yes and it is against the rules now. The reason that JLaw couldn't race once this year
ktm300hater
11/19/2009 8:32am
ASH510 wrote:
yes people were talkin shit about it back then.
Ya, then the AMA came out with the Henry rule of no IVs....at our Loretta regional, we ran 4 classes. which is 12 motos in 2 days...well they tried to run 8 of them in 110 heat on one day. Needless to say I got the medics to IV my kid so he wouldnt drop out.

Moto is an intense sport, the amount of energy, intensity etc is bound to cause some issues on people......If the sports top guys are having ailments I would just chalk it up to the level they train, ride etc

let them be unless you can hang with them.....lol
Nerd
11/19/2009 8:42am
Yes and it is against the rules now. The reason that JLaw couldn't race once this year
It's actually not against the rules. J-Law couldve raced if he wanted.

The rules state that if you get a medically necessary IV, you must be cleared again to compete by the doctor who ordered/performed the IV.
agency399
11/19/2009 9:12am
Since my second year in college I started having stomach problems, this is 6 years ago.

Could not really put my finger on how to explain the problems. But every morning I would have to force myself to throw up the "foam" that was in my stomach before I could even do anything at all.

It was crazy before a race.

When I was in NC I went and found a gastreologist and had a scope put down my throat. They said it is acid reflux and put me on Nexium. Felt better for a while but it came back pretty heavily shortly after.

Kept living with it, and went to another gastreologist here in NY 2 months ago. The acid reflux has caused esophagites (which causes esophagus cancer in your throat)

Leading cause is diet and stress. I have a new medicine that is great now (Kapedex)

I get stressed out with the local races (Always want to do the big jumps so I don’t get landed on, don’t want to get my ass kicked, maybe meaningless to riders who are looking to only have fun but that’s what I go through, always been that way)

Now try to think of the stress a pro must go through.

Well if you truly think pros are using this for an excuse..............I have news for you. It sucks and I would rather tear another ACL then deal with my stomach issues.

Just because you don’t have these issues doesn’t mean they are fake. Just my 2 cents with my experiences.
11/19/2009 9:21am
I would say diet and travel. And the diet that comes from travel.

Do a lot of these guys take raceday food seriously? I remember reading that article when Pingree sat in as Richardson's RV team manager and it showed him heating up hot pockets for everybody.

If a pro racer is eating crap like hot pockets mystery meat at the races, that would explain a lot. I also read one rookie saying he pounded a Coke before his first-ever pro moto. I mean, come on, that's insane.

Post a reply to: Stomach problems in our sport

The Latest