Stock vs Aftermarket Exhaust-Is it worth the money?

Drtbykr
4/4/2018 4:53am
My old KTM is the first bike I haven’t bought a silencer for, it is the perfect balance of “quiet and crack”.

Lots of Kawasaki’s seemed to be obnoxiously loud in tests I have read, they would be candidates if ridden within ear shot of society.

If you are a pro and every ounce counts, and you want to move power around...sure. With the other mods made to the bike, more air and fuel it is certainly advantageous if u buy the proper one.

If you are not a pro, and you must buy one, make sure your bike gets quieter. Keep the great unwashed calmer.

I’d rather spend my money on fresh rubber and my daughter’s university education. I think most OEM performance bikes have done their homework.

If I was rich, I would buy an Akrapovic system and hang it on my living room wall and just admire it.

Turbojez
4/4/2018 5:07am
Anonymous wrote:
An FMF advertisement on Vital for the a new exhaust system for the 2018.5 KTM and Husky Factory editions got me thinking. How much better (and...
An FMF advertisement on Vital for the a new exhaust system for the 2018.5 KTM and Husky Factory editions got me thinking. How much better (and if so why) an aftermarket exhaust is vs a stock system. Do the OEM's really miss the mark when it comes to engineering everything to be great and then shit the bed with the exhaust system? I understand weight can be saved on the muffler, but what gains do companies like FMF, Pro Circuit, Yoshimura etc seem to find right away? Or are most people purchasing for looks?
On 4 stroke it's not worth the money IMO for a casual rider. Racer - yes.
4 strokes - Decent aftermarket system not only makes more power, but weights way less than stock.
2 strokes - Exhaust makes a huge difference. If you choose the right one it's worth every penny, as it can drastically change the bike's power characteristics.

The Shop

49weasel
4/4/2018 5:47am
mxb2 wrote:
Looks, weight, power curve, sound etc. Stock is good, so is the aftermarket stuff. If you have the $$, buy it if ya want. A ignition...
Looks, weight, power curve, sound etc. Stock is good, so is the aftermarket stuff. If you have the $$, buy it if ya want. A ignition or remap is a better cheaper mod.
I agree will Billy. I talked to the guys at Tokyo Mods at great lengths and they said they can easily surpass the power that an exhaust can make and it's only a $100. I wish did the remapping before I bought my full Yosh system.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
4/4/2018 6:02am
If you like to toss your self into the dirt from time to time like myself, just keep her stock till you have to replace the bent stuff.
zlowery
4/4/2018 7:03am

^powder coat and stickers. tokyo mods re-map for $100 is all the bike i need.

In my opinion, all the new bikes are so good that exhausts are a waste when talking performance. To me, the exhaust money covers essentials that will help you alot more. Suspension, ignition re-map, bars. In the case of buying a dual - Suspension, ignition re-map, bars, lowering link, weeks grocery's for the family. Turn the clock back 10 years maybe a different story. My new 2007 crf250 really woke up with a yosh exhaust, cam, and correct jetting. But those things were less cash back then.

mxb2
4/4/2018 7:24am
zlowery wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/04/253462/s1200_IMG_3687.jpg[/img] ^powder coat and stickers. tokyo mods re-map for $100 is all the bike i need. In my opinion, all the new bikes are so good...

^powder coat and stickers. tokyo mods re-map for $100 is all the bike i need.

In my opinion, all the new bikes are so good that exhausts are a waste when talking performance. To me, the exhaust money covers essentials that will help you alot more. Suspension, ignition re-map, bars. In the case of buying a dual - Suspension, ignition re-map, bars, lowering link, weeks grocery's for the family. Turn the clock back 10 years maybe a different story. My new 2007 crf250 really woke up with a yosh exhaust, cam, and correct jetting. But those things were less cash back then.

Nice,,. How did the exhaust and remap work.on the crf?
mikec265
4/4/2018 7:46am
Is your suspension set up correctly for your size and ability? If not my money would go there 1st after getting the right bars, seat and so on to fit the bike right. Any motor or cosmetic mods would be last on my list. Even the "slowest bike" is fast enough these days.
4/4/2018 7:48am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 7:49am
As long as it's louder, you can be assured you'll be going faster.
captmoto
4/4/2018 9:22am
4 strokes killed the sport. Change My Mind
It killed it for you. No need to change your mind.
captmoto
4/4/2018 9:31am
The Husky baffle is well known as power robber. I got a great deal on a Bill's full system. I needed a little more response off the bottom to get my fat ass moving and got that. it also pulls cleaner and quicker and a little harder on top so for ME I will say it was worth it. FWIW I would never spend $1200-$1500 on a pipe and this is the first aftermarket 4 stroke pipe I ever bought.
lumpy790
4/4/2018 11:40am
Less weight and changed power curve & HP.
jsmi33966
4/4/2018 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 1:11pm
Am I the only one that wants a loud pipe? I can't hear my motor in the first turn, I want to be the loudest?. Sometimes I miss a gear or over rev in the first few turns and I'll get a bad start because I can't hear my motor.

In most cases save your money for suspension or regular maintenance.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
4/4/2018 4:21pm
Anonymous wrote:
An FMF advertisement on Vital for the a new exhaust system for the 2018.5 KTM and Husky Factory editions got me thinking. How much better (and...
An FMF advertisement on Vital for the a new exhaust system for the 2018.5 KTM and Husky Factory editions got me thinking. How much better (and if so why) an aftermarket exhaust is vs a stock system. Do the OEM's really miss the mark when it comes to engineering everything to be great and then shit the bed with the exhaust system? I understand weight can be saved on the muffler, but what gains do companies like FMF, Pro Circuit, Yoshimura etc seem to find right away? Or are most people purchasing for looks?
100% looks - just like their gear. Mx is a fashion show thinly disguised as racing.

If you want performance - new tyres & suspension tuning will get you 10x faster than a name brand exhaust setup.
NorcalVet
4/4/2018 5:12pm
I’ve had yosh on all my RMZ’s since my ‘05. Nothing sweeter sounding for a 4 stoke imo. Then w/ a remap it really smoothes out some areas and just really feels electric. Plus getting my sponsored discount never hurt either. Anyways now that I’ve downsized only to the RM and the time I save let’s me wrench on my other girl !!

H4L
4/6/2018 6:01am
NorcalVet wrote:
I’ve had yosh on all my RMZ’s since my ‘05. Nothing sweeter sounding for a 4 stoke imo. Then w/ a remap it really smoothes out...
I’ve had yosh on all my RMZ’s since my ‘05. Nothing sweeter sounding for a 4 stoke imo. Then w/ a remap it really smoothes out some areas and just really feels electric. Plus getting my sponsored discount never hurt either. Anyways now that I’ve downsized only to the RM and the time I save let’s me wrench on my other girl !!

Off topic..

Luv the Z.. Had one out of high school in the 80's & regret ever selling it.
trav389
4/7/2018 12:28am
The fact my crf had two mufflers and now has one makes me smile when I look at it and that’s enough to be worth the money for me. I don’t need to own a dirt bike I own one because it makes me happy I also don’t need a titanium silencer on it but I own one because it also makes me happy
hoova
4/7/2018 5:56am
2 strokes its a good thing. 4 strokes I believe its worth it if you're willing to dyno and remap.
hoova
4/7/2018 6:08am
Dyno is of a crf450r 15 model stock header with fmf dauls. Power increase was minimal just putting the silencers on but as you can see with a remap its worth it.

moto314
4/7/2018 9:26am
I have designed aftermarket exhaust for MX bikes and each company has their own way of going about it. Most will dyno the stock system, a few will test ride it. Then they will try to make gains where they feel needed. Some want to see more power everywhere, some target low, mid, or top. Depending on what customer they are after sound may be something they are trying to make quieter or louder. Weight savings can be huge, as much as 5 lbs with a full ti system on a duel. Companies that work with race teams will develop the power and torque to be what the race team wants and then take what they learned from that and implement it into their shelf part. It really depends on your personal preference and what you feel the bike needs. If you find an exhaust that improves the power in the area you feel it is needed enough to notice a difference on the track, then I guess it was worth the money. If you are happy with the performance, sound, and weight of your stock system, then no it's not worth the money. It really varies on your personal opinion and riding style.
dpingree101
4/13/2018 2:17pm
Suspension is the best investment for performance, followed by race fuel for more power. The best thing you can do with the exhaust, particularly with the KTM/Husky, is put on a slip-on muffler. The stock units are heavy but you simply can't make a better header than the stock unit.
skup11
4/22/2018 8:43pm
I've always put exhaust on my bikes. Early on it was because I like the way Dr. D moved the power on my yz's and a big reason was for looks... of course I didn't want to be riding with stock exhaust.

In recent years I've switched to Pro Circuit on my KX's. Had a full Ti system on my '14 and really liked it. Most recently I got a full SS/AL system for my '17. I was really surprised to see a baffle in the middle of the PC silencer that was not in the stock system. I know they have a "pro" system that helps it meet AMA Pro sound regulations but this isn't that system. I'm definitely not schooled on flow characteristics and back pressure needs of exhaust but I would be surprised if this screen didn't reduce some of the power. I'd have to think that anymore, even a lot of the stock systems perform well on 250s.
In case you're curious, I've added some pics that show the differences in stock, ti, and SS systems. I've always wanted companies to show the weight of the their systems.

2014 KX250f Stock- 8 lbs 9.4 oz

2014 KX250f Full Ti - 6 lbs (Saves 2 lbs 9.4 oz)

2017 KX250f Stock - 8 lbs 8.1oz

2017 KX250f Full SS/AL - 8 lbs 2.1 oz (saves 6 ounces)

Inside '17 Pro Circuit Silencer
Frank
4/23/2018 2:13pm
Looks wise the stock silencers look hideous on all the 4 strokes. For $8,000+ can't we get a silencer that does not need replacing already? Yes its vanity but that is the reason most people buy aftermarket.
Titan1
4/23/2018 2:17pm
No...an aftermarket pipe isn't worth it.

Unless you are a fast B or A/pro rider...chances are your technique is slowing you down far more than your stock pipe is....and so logic dictates that improving your technique will improve your results/speed far more than an aftermarket pipe will.

SO take the money you were going to spend on that exhaust and hit up a good riding school or three. (like I said, unless you are already fast...then the pipe might actually help you...)
Tracktor
4/23/2018 2:29pm
Yes, if you don't want to blow your eardrums out on YZF's or KXF's. The stock exhausts are stupid loud on those. For more power, nah stock does just fine for most. Pisses me off no end some OEM's send thumpers out with stupid loud exhaust on them. I guess keeping riding areas open isn't a priority........
Titan1
4/24/2018 12:59pm
Tracktor wrote:
Yes, if you don't want to blow your eardrums out on YZF's or KXF's. The stock exhausts are stupid loud on those. For more power, nah...
Yes, if you don't want to blow your eardrums out on YZF's or KXF's. The stock exhausts are stupid loud on those. For more power, nah stock does just fine for most. Pisses me off no end some OEM's send thumpers out with stupid loud exhaust on them. I guess keeping riding areas open isn't a priority........
That’s a valid point...an after market silencer could be justified for sound control.

Post a reply to: Stock vs Aftermarket Exhaust-Is it worth the money?

The Latest