Still no Coms

Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 9:13pm
After all these years and avoidable injuries there is still no communication between racer and crew. I guess you can do it at 200 mph but not at 30-50mph. Guess we will just continue to put all of our faith in these goofy little foam blocks
|
BR8ES
3/4/2019 7:09pm
What is your plan to rectify this travesty?
Shawn142
3/4/2019 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 7:24pm
It's against the AMA rules due to fairness. Your example shows exactly why. This is not F1 or Nascar, this sport is relatively low budget. Some pros who make the main drive themselves to the stadium and pit out of their own trucks. It would be unfair if the factory riders he lined up against had access to their mechanic and spotters in the air and the privateer doesn't. In other motorized sports that have coms to the racers everyone on track has it, even the guys trailing around in the back.
kiwifan
3/4/2019 7:26pm
I can just see it ... mechanic to Tomac:

Mechanic: "Eli, come into the pits your pants are falling down!"
Tomac: "no way dude, not falling for that one again"
..Nek Minnit...

In all seriousness, I dont see a real benefit in it

The Shop

deluxeman
3/4/2019 7:54pm
MotoGP doesn’t have it either, they still use pit boards and they can send a message through the dashboard readout. But no in ear communication. I think it’s a fair rule, the only time I wish they had it is during a crash situation where they could warn a rider before they get to the crash site. May save some injuries.
3/4/2019 8:05pm
I remember a quad racer in the 90's who showed up with helmet communication gear for a few rounds. Never saw anyone try it before or since. This endeth the story.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
3/4/2019 8:14pm
Team Kawasaki ran helmet radios during the 1988 Supercross races at Anaheim and San Diego. There were some noticeable swerves to block Johnson’s pass attempts.

They were quickly banned.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/4/2019 10:34pm
Mike Alessi ran them at the Monster Energy Cup one year. He said he hated it.
Layton
3/5/2019 7:19am
GuyB wrote:
Well if he did he was breaking the rules as radios have been banned in AMA competition longer then Mike has been riding Monster Energy Cup.
JBlain619
3/5/2019 7:34am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 7:35am
GuyB wrote:
Layton wrote:
Well if he did he was breaking the rules as radios have been banned in AMA competition longer then Mike has been riding Monster Energy Cup.
MEC wasn’t AMA sanctioned at the time. You could actually run a big bore 250 at that race as well.
kb228
3/5/2019 7:35am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 7:36am
It should be allowed. Those helmet headsets really arent that expensive. I dont see a problem with it. If teams work on creating effective and concise coms it could benefit guys without being annoying.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/5/2019 8:16am
Layton wrote:
Open rules package at that race.
pkiczuk
3/5/2019 8:21am
deluxeman wrote:
MotoGP doesn’t have it either, they still use pit boards and they can send a message through the dashboard readout. But no in ear communication. I...
MotoGP doesn’t have it either, they still use pit boards and they can send a message through the dashboard readout. But no in ear communication. I think it’s a fair rule, the only time I wish they had it is during a crash situation where they could warn a rider before they get to the crash site. May save some injuries.
I think you have an interesting idea as far as warning the rider goes. Maybe an ear piece that can only receive communication from a track official and is sent out to all riders to give them location and side of track the crash is on. Strictly to keep riders, and track/medical crew safer. all other communication would not be allowed.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/5/2019 8:34am
deluxeman wrote:
MotoGP doesn’t have it either, they still use pit boards and they can send a message through the dashboard readout. But no in ear communication. I...
pkiczuk wrote:
I think you have an interesting idea as far as warning the rider goes. Maybe an ear piece that can only receive communication from a track...
I think you have an interesting idea as far as warning the rider goes. Maybe an ear piece that can only receive communication from a track official and is sent out to all riders to give them location and side of track the crash is on. Strictly to keep riders, and track/medical crew safer. all other communication would not be allowed.
Sent in four languages...?
rikhek
3/5/2019 8:40am
Shawn142 wrote:
It's against the AMA rules due to fairness. Your example shows exactly why. This is not F1 or Nascar, this sport is relatively low budget. Some...
It's against the AMA rules due to fairness. Your example shows exactly why. This is not F1 or Nascar, this sport is relatively low budget. Some pros who make the main drive themselves to the stadium and pit out of their own trucks. It would be unfair if the factory riders he lined up against had access to their mechanic and spotters in the air and the privateer doesn't. In other motorized sports that have coms to the racers everyone on track has it, even the guys trailing around in the back.
This is not accurate. In semi-pro and amatuer road racing the field is roughly split specific to communications. Half have and half don't. It's not the cost of the radio's it's the cost of having a human being on the other radio to talk to. Many road racers drive themselves to the track and are a team of one. Radios are not expensive and are a GREAT safety feature provided you have someone to communicate with...
slipdog
3/5/2019 8:43am
GuyB wrote:
Press 1 for...
Beeby
3/5/2019 8:55am
Imagine trying to skim the whoops and someone starts talking in your ear. Alessi was having enough trouble with them last weekend as it was, without all that going on.

And before anyone says the teams would be selective about when they talk to the rider, you only have to watch F1 and see how often the drivers ask the teams to shut up to know its not how it works.
pkiczuk
3/5/2019 9:15am
GuyB wrote:
why does it have to be in 4 languages? This may be an ignorant question, but don't all the current SX racers speak/understand English...asking for a friend.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/5/2019 9:23am
pkiczuk wrote:
why does it have to be in 4 languages? This may be an ignorant question, but don't all the current SX racers speak/understand English...asking for a...
why does it have to be in 4 languages? This may be an ignorant question, but don't all the current SX racers speak/understand English...asking for a friend.
I was responding to the guy who was talking about officials warning riders in MotoGP where you might have riders that speak many different languages.
3/5/2019 9:41am
I thought for awhile recently they were legal in mx but nobody took advantage of it.
Stuntman949
3/5/2019 9:53am
"There's a vehicle heading backwards on the racecourse."

Oh wait, that's Baja
pkiczuk
3/5/2019 10:01am
GuyB wrote:
I was responding to the guy who was talking about officials warning riders in MotoGP where you might have riders that speak many different languages.
Gotcha, I guess I could have been more clear as well. I think in SX this would be a great thing to implement. However, I guess you would have to weight out the amount of times collisions with downed riders actually occur (specifically the ones where there is enough time to warn the coming riders), versus the chance of successfully thwarting said collisions with a warning.
kaptkaos
3/5/2019 11:01am
Shawn142 wrote:
It's against the AMA rules due to fairness. Your example shows exactly why. This is not F1 or Nascar, this sport is relatively low budget. Some...
rikhek wrote:
This is not accurate. In semi-pro and amatuer road racing the field is roughly split specific to communications. Half have and half don't. It's not the...
This is not accurate. In semi-pro and amatuer road racing the field is roughly split specific to communications. Half have and half don't. It's not the cost of the radio's it's the cost of having a human being on the other radio to talk to. Many road racers drive themselves to the track and are a team of one. Radios are not expensive and are a GREAT safety feature provided you have someone to communicate with...
If we keep legislating down to the privateer level then we will never evolve into a truly professional sport. Sadly, the day there are no Privateers in the 450 night show, it will be a sign that SX has become a successful pro series.
Question
3/5/2019 11:25am
The only main benefit I could see is to improve the flagging, med flags particularly, because I think it can be really tough to watch everywhere while at the same time looking at the next ruts, although the riders did well on that so far.
kiwifan
3/5/2019 12:18pm
Shawn142 wrote:
rikhek wrote:
This is not accurate. In semi-pro and amatuer road racing the field is roughly split specific to communications. Half have and half don't. It's not the...
kaptkaos wrote:
If we keep legislating down to the privateer level then we will never evolve into a truly professional sport. Sadly, the day there are no Privateers...
If we keep legislating down to the privateer level then we will never evolve into a truly professional sport. Sadly, the day there are no Privateers in the 450 night show, it will be a sign that SX has become a successful pro series.
Are you sure there are no privateers in the night show?
kaptkaos
3/5/2019 12:35pm
rikhek wrote:
kaptkaos wrote:
If we keep legislating down to the privateer level then we will never evolve into a truly professional sport. Sadly, the day there are no Privateers...
kiwifan wrote:
Are you sure there are no privateers in the night show?
"Sadly, the day there are no Privateers in the 450 night show, it will be a sign that SX has become a successful pro series"

Implies the day when this happens in the FUTURE, as in not currently.
CozMan
3/5/2019 12:36pm
this is a terrible concept. Heading up the face of a jump and someone starts screaming in your ear "There's a guy down around the next turn!!!!!!!!!!" would do nothing but distract you, causing more mistakes = injuries.

As for "comms"...the only thing that could be added safely would be some sort of signage. Instead of the flashing lights they use now, they could have a sign that says "DO NOT JUMP" before triples or something like that.

outside of that, why would a rider need to talk to a team anyway? We don't do pitstops, nor "strategy"...so what would they say? "My suspension needs to come in 2 clicks"?
JM485
3/5/2019 12:56pm
Shawn142 wrote:
rikhek wrote:
kaptkaos wrote:
Supercross hasn’t gotten to that level in 30+ years of trying and people still think it’s going to happen. . . It’s all good though we’ll just keep selling out and making ourselves look like dipshits dumbing down every broadcast to a 2nd grade level of understanding in the desperate hopes of attracting mainstream America. Freestyle guys saw it coming in the late 90s and they were right, we’ve got a good thing going right now so stop trying to appeal to the masses.
MZ193
3/5/2019 1:02pm
I can hear some "SHUT THE FUCK UP", i'd hate it. My opinion

Post a reply to: Still no Coms

The Latest