Still No Charlotte SX???

Related:
Create New Tag

5/6/2016 4:53 PM

I know a lot more goes into it than just booking a location, but I'm surprised we haven't seen a supercross at BoA Stadium in Charlotte. Everytime I attend a Panthers game, I think about how perfect that place would be for an April round of SX. I go to Atlanta every year, but still think it would be really cool to have a supercross right in Uptown Charlotte with the buildings in the backdrop with the open air stadium. I know we got the GP this year but I doubt that will last more than a year or two, and Muddy Creek isn't too bad of a drive either. I'm just curious why there hasn't been a race here because I feel like it would sell really well with JGR being here, and motocross is huge in the NC and SC area with all the training facilities and tracks nearby. Anybody have any idea on this?

|

5/6/2016 5:08 PM

Weege has talked about this in the past. The owner of panthers wants an sx but something about having to close streets for pitting has been an issue. I think the city of Charlotte said it wouldn't do it.

|

5/6/2016 5:17 PM

jmx411 wrote:

Weege has talked about this in the past. The owner of panthers wants an sx but something about having to close streets for pitting has been an issue. I think the city of Charlotte said it wouldn't do it.

That's just an excuse from the City of Charlotte then. I went to the ACC Championship game, and they had all of Mint St. blocked off beside the stadium and had a stage setup for some music and foot traffic. Also, there are plenty of large parking areas right by the stadium for the pits. The city of Charlotte will close the streets for a football game in a heartbeat, but for a supercross, They'd never do that! It's stupid if that is really the main reason for no SX here.

|

5/6/2016 5:22 PM

jmx411 wrote:

Marcus Beasley wrote:

That's just an excuse from the City of Charlotte then. I went to the ACC Championship game, and they had all of Mint St. blocked off beside the stadium and had a stage setup for some music and foot traffic. Also, there are plenty of large parking areas right by the stadium for the pits. The city of Charlotte will close the streets for a football game in a heartbeat, but for a supercross, They'd never do that! It's stupid if that is really the main reason for no SX here.

I agree. I'm sure for Acc football and panthers football the city will close he streets for free but I bet the city would charge Feld an arm and a leg to close streets all day.

|

5/6/2016 6:32 PM

You got a night GP

|

5/6/2016 7:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2016 7:32 PM

They don't do jack shit inside BofA stadium besides football or the occasional international soccer match. I grew up in Pittsburgh; Three Rivers Stadium hosted everything from ball sports to supercross to concerts galore.

Charlotte is a great town though and I'm proud to call it home now. Definitely a motorsports hub. The GP was a nice surprise (dirt track has me smh though).. I attended the final SX at the speedway in '98. They raced at Memorial Stadium before that lol Used to have an outdoor national in Anderson, SC too

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

5/6/2016 7:36 PM

Mr. Info wrote:

You got a night GP

the GP is in Concord, NC about 20-30mi north of downtown Charlotte where the NFL stadium is located. Which is where the OP thinks a SX should be. I totally agree; I just don't see it happening.

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.