Still Helmet Shopping - Bell, Scorpion VXR70?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/6/2018 2:30 PM

A while back I bought the new Troy Lee Poly SE4 and it didn't fit; was told to go up a size, so 'bought the carbon version in a Large. Still just wasn't right, so I'm selling that.

The Scorpion VX-R70 caught my eye this morning. A few top off-road dudes are wearing it (Haaker, Brabec and lots of Euros). They manufacturer the helmet in their own facility. Attention to detail and overall appearance is excellent. I flew right by it when I was initially looking because right now its only $200 (so I just assumed it was a budget entry helmet). Its very light (2.8 pounds), has a really cool cheek pad pump system for a good fit and has good reviews.

Only downer is the lack of the latest tech like MIPS or any slip-plane feature. It does have the typical dual-density EPS.

Anyone wear one?

The other one on my short-list is the Moto 9 with MIPS, *maybe* the Carbon Flex if a buddy can come through on a deal. They're on the heavy side, but *so many* people wear them and they look like a great helmet. Bells have never fit me at all and until the recent 9, I always thought the interiors sucked. But I'm planning to try one on asap.

Mostly looking for input in the Scorpion - I feel that it is really under-rated and at a great price point.

(please don't tell me to buy a Shoei, Arai, 6D...- that's out of my ideal price-point and the "what is your head worth?" statement is invalid in my opinion...and I used to design for a helmet manufacturer...so I have some education behind that opinion).

But look how good this Scorpion looks....

Photo

|

3/6/2018 2:38 PM

I have a scorpion and didn't like it, it fit well but the mouth piece was to close to my face and picked up a just1

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian

3/6/2018 9:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2018 9:12 PM

Huh - must not be a popular helmet (figured it wasn't). I still think its worth a look - hoping others chime in.

I'm within driving distance to Rocky Mountain (to go try one on), but just realized they have to order it in...so that's out the window. I assume it'll be tough to find locally to try one on.

|

3/6/2018 9:20 PM

Some bell helmets in your price range. I tried one on and was blown away at home comfortable it was and how nice it was overall.

|

3/6/2018 9:25 PM

I would strongly consider LS2 Subverter. I’ve got 4 ordered... expecting delivery any day now. It has all the safety features I’m looking for including MIPS, elimination of annular space between the foam and shell, great foam, great shell, high quality interior, super lightweight and great price point. They are one of the manufactures of multiple brands allowing them to keep their cost down.

|

#performanceedgeracing @tmracingusa @ride.prl @powerbandracing @vertexpistons @LS2helmetsus @hotrodsproducts @pivotworks @fmf73 @kendatire @mikametals @dt1filtersusa @sidimotousa @motoseat @dubyausa @xbrandgoggles @thormxofficial @g2ergonomics @tamer_holeshot_hookup @riskracingmoto @acerbisusa @nihiloconcepts @matrixconcepts @suzukiyamahaofdaltonga @mobiusbraces @sandboxkings @terry_varnermotorsports

3/6/2018 9:40 PM

Have you considered the Suomy MXJump?

I just bought one...and so really really like it. SO light, and very comfortable.

|

3/6/2018 9:44 PM

Bieffe

|

3/6/2018 9:47 PM

racerx317 wrote:

I would strongly consider LS2 Subverter. I’ve got 4 ordered... expecting delivery any day now. It has all the safety features ...more

Oh man...If Id of known about that helmet, I would have bought it over the Suomy. That looks like a great helmet! And for $200! Wow. Thanks for introducing it to me. It will be my next helmet for sure.

|

3/6/2018 10:01 PM

racerx317 wrote:

I would strongly consider LS2 Subverter. I’ve got 4 ordered... expecting delivery any day now. It has all the safety features ...more

Interesting. So this is made in a similar fashion as the Leatt and also with a ridiculous amount of vents just as the Leatt too. I decided against the Leatt because I was told it’s crazy-loud (too ventilated) for long off road days.

The LS2 May have the same issues. Although I ride a 2 stroke so maybe it wouldn’t be such an issue.

I’ll look into it more. I like some of the unique features and don’t mind the look (although it’s on the edge of being ugly, but I dig the Euro look).

|

3/6/2018 10:05 PM

Titan1 wrote:

Have you considered the Suomy MXJump?

I just bought one...and so really really like it. SO light, and very comfortable.

Yeah my dad has one solely because of how light it is. But that Scorpion is right there in the weight department as well, and cheaper.

But I really want something with slip-plane functions just because. The Scorpion mentioned above, and your Suomy are great helmets but really dated with their construction.

You can argue all day long if that MIPS-like tech works, but I feel like it won’t hurt so it may as well be an item on my must-have checklist.

But yes that Suomy is a nice helmet. Several of my friends back in the Midwest run them.

|

3/6/2018 10:07 PM

racerx317 wrote:

Give us some feedback once you get those helmets please. I’m in no hurry to buy so I’ll take the next few weeks (probably) to dig around and research.

|

3/6/2018 10:13 PM

racerx317 wrote:

KGAspeed wrote:

Give us some feedback once you get those helmets please. I’m in no hurry to buy so I’ll take the next few weeks (probably) to ...more

Will do... we had a Pro Woods racer test it locally and he absolutely loved it! Wasn’t too loud but cooled his head better than any other helmet he’s tried. He also loved the lightness... he was using a Just 1 and felt that the LS2 Subverter was lighter.

|

#performanceedgeracing @tmracingusa @ride.prl @powerbandracing @vertexpistons @LS2helmetsus @hotrodsproducts @pivotworks @fmf73 @kendatire @mikametals @dt1filtersusa @sidimotousa @motoseat @dubyausa @xbrandgoggles @thormxofficial @g2ergonomics @tamer_holeshot_hookup @riskracingmoto @acerbisusa @nihiloconcepts @matrixconcepts @suzukiyamahaofdaltonga @mobiusbraces @sandboxkings @terry_varnermotorsports

3/6/2018 10:15 PM

I understand your price point, but you can buy a Shoei VFX-W for under $300 atm. Something to think about.

|

3/6/2018 10:22 PM

Doddy wrote:

I understand your price point, but you can buy a Shoei VFX-W for under $300 atm. Something to think about.

Yep I know. I don’t want a Shoei - but thanks for letting me know. The only one I would consider is the new EVO (with more research to understand their new slip-plane function).

But that VFXW is just another EPS-equipped helmet with nothing advanced in the last 15 years. I do like their quality and used to be a Shoei die-hard.

And when I say “price point” my plan is around $500. I just keep coming upon these $200 options that seem interesting. I firmly believe that higher pricing doesn’t equal more safety.

|

3/7/2018 1:28 AM

Love my Bell Moto9- so comfy & light!

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

3/7/2018 1:41 AM

I've always been a Bell guy. Just bought a Scorpion and like it a lot. Everyone' s head is slightly different, so my recommendation is of little use to you.

|

3/7/2018 1:41 AM

I love my Bell Moto 9 Flex, the fitment is the best for me out of all the helmets that i have tested(i'v tested every high end helmet out there except the new Shoei that will arrive in a few weeks).

You should be able to find the MIPS version of the Moto 9 for around 300 bucks?

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

3/7/2018 5:08 AM

racerx317 wrote:

KGAspeed wrote:

Give us some feedback once you get those helmets please. I’m in no hurry to buy so I’ll take the next few weeks (probably) to ...more

racerx317 wrote:

Will do... we had a Pro Woods racer test it locally and he absolutely loved it! Wasn’t too loud but cooled his head better ...more

I cannot find any confirmation about the LS2 having MIPS feature. You sure about that? Not mentioned on LS2 site.
https://ls2helmets.com/ca/mx/subverter

|

3/7/2018 5:14 AM

I pPhoto

I picked this up off from Amazon just after christmas for $350. I went to several shops tried on several different brands and models and this was by far the best fitting helmet I've ever owned. Retired an old TLD and thought I would replace it with another but the new ones just didn't feel right.

|

3/7/2018 5:23 AM

Turbojez wrote:

I cannot find any confirmation about the LS2 having MIPS feature. You sure about that? Not mentioned on LS2 site.
...more

They don’t have the actual MIPS feature; they use their own proprietary idea of a slip-plane liner similar to the common yellow liner

|

3/7/2018 5:39 AM

Have a Bell Moto-9 flex, fits perfect to my head and very comfortable.

|

3/7/2018 5:41 AM

|

3/7/2018 6:03 AM

KGAspeed wrote:

A while back I bought the new Troy Lee Poly SE4 and it didn't fit; was told to go up a size, so 'bought the carbon version in ...more

I've had one for about a year and have no complaints. I use it mainly as my practice/woods helmet and as far as comfort the helmet is very comfortable and the cheek air snugs it up if that's what you like. One of the guys mentioned the nose piece being too close to his face but I haven't noticed it at all. When it comes to taking hits in the helmet I haven't really tested it like that but fit and finish is really good. It seems like a good quality helmet especially for the money. Photo

|

3/7/2018 6:31 AM

Bultaco wrote:

I've always been a Bell guy. Just bought a Scorpion and like it a lot. Everyone' s head is slightly different, so my ...more

Yeah I’m not asking about the fit for obvious reasons. More-so the fit-&-finish and overall thoughts.

|

3/7/2018 6:34 AM

Bramlett321 wrote:

I've had one for about a year and have no complaints. I use it mainly as my practice/woods helmet and as far as comfort the ...more

Thanks and I agree. Like I said it seems very under-rated but lacks modern features with some exceptions. The cheek pad adjustment is brilliant

|

3/7/2018 6:55 AM

I just picked up a new VFX EVO for $430 off of eBay and am really impressed with the build quality and the fit. I have been a long time Bell and am glad to have made the switch.

|

3/7/2018 7:22 AM

KGAspeed wrote:

Huh - must not be a popular helmet (figured it wasn't). I still think its worth a look - hoping others chime in.

I'm within ...more

It's a Good helmet, it fit well the thing I didn't like was the face piece was to close to my face, that's the only thing I didn't like, but I'm Italian and have a big beak

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian

3/7/2018 7:32 AM

|

3/7/2018 8:17 AM

faster48 wrote:

Am i right in understanding the "welded" liner is NOT removable for washing?

No. It IS removable. They use the term “weld” to refer to how the cloth material is fixed to the inner-most foam. Most liners are glued together; this is a different “thermoweld” process from what I understand. But it is definitely removable.

I’m keeping my eye on this LS2. I don’t love the look but the matte black actually looks ok. Glad to see more companies doing their own thing and trying to innovate.

|

3/7/2018 9:54 AM

Here is that new LS2. Its busy, but I'm interested in seeing it closer. Any of their graphic options are pretty terrible. Really terrible actually - someone needs to have a sit down talk with their designer.

Photo

Photo

|