Stihl EFI 2 Stroke

dcg141
4/27/2012 9:48pm
You said it in your second post. So basically, this system remains lightweight while adding some of the advantages of EFI? What about some of those...
You said it in your second post. So basically, this system remains lightweight while adding some of the advantages of EFI? What about some of those that would point to DI as the only way to make a fuel efficient, low emission two stroke engine? These are the type of people that consider two-strokes and diesel engines as "dirty" when in reality diesel engines have the potential to be over twice as fuel efficient as a petroleum engine and over 4 times more than an ethanol engine. We also have to look at government regulations and such as relating to what will be manufactured. I know that government regulations don't directly apply to OHV, but from a manufacturers standpoint this does hold some weight. As you have pointed out what DI fixes in fuel efficiency, it loses in weight.
DFI is extremly clean..from what I understand cleaner than 4 strokes. Stihl went with this system to meet Euro Tier 3 emissions so it must help clean up the current carbed 2 stroke. I do know that Husqvarna and Kawasaki are meeting emissions with a "air stratified" engine. Pioneered by Redmax 10 years ago it uses a 2 barrel carb and puts a clear air charge in with the fuel charge and prevents raw hydrocarbons escaping into the exhaust port. I have a feeling this is the same system only with EFI making it even more efficent.
dcg141
4/27/2012 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2012 9:59pm
I know that KTM is looking to get a 2 stroke "green sticker" legal more then EPA legal. That is a lower threshold. The first mfg to come up with a green sticker 2 stroke will sell a huge amount in Cailforinia..far and way still the largest market for dirt bikes in the country. 3 things got KTM's sales where they are today...electric start, serious green sticker bikes and staying with 2 strokes.
dcg141
4/27/2012 10:10pm
Aide785 wrote:
I agree with pretty much everything dcg141 is saying. This system is very interesting and seems like it would be easier to fit onto a bike...
I agree with pretty much everything dcg141 is saying. This system is very interesting and seems like it would be easier to fit onto a bike over the systems that are on the snowmobiles and such. The direct injection on a sled is some crazy technology but I know it requires a battery to work and also know the computer that runs the whole system is very advanced and they actually run the fuel through the computer to keep it cool because it gets so hot. This is obviously easier on a sled because the fuel is going to be cool because of the environment it is in.

Interesting stuff just too bad everyone decided to jump down your throat and likely not even look over the article.

This is a picture of the snowmobile engine with direct injection and you can see how big the injectors are and where they are located.
Now putting that system on a sportbike..that would be cool.

The Shop

NeKawBoy
4/28/2012 5:44am
Watch out KTM...Stihl has a lot more experience making the untimate woods weapon!
Aide785
4/28/2012 7:04am
dcg141 wrote:
Now putting that system on a sportbike..that would be cool.
I would love to see it on a sportbike because that seems like it would be one step closer to showing up on a dirt bike. I'm interested to see how heavy it would be if they could change it enough to get on a bike. It is going to be heavier than a two stroke the way they are now but I don't think it would be as heavy as a four stroke engine. I noticed you said in one of your posts that it has to atomize the fuel and they use a little pulse coil to do that in this system (it is like a tiny little speaker in there) and they say that was the only way they could find to control it with the sensitivity it needs.

Might be a pipe dream about ever seeing this on a bike but if someone wants to make a clean running, fuel efficient two stroke it seems like the best way to go. These sleds have better fuel milage, less emissions and more power than comparable four strokes. With that said a 600cc two stroke sled is in the same class as a 1000cc four stroke sled.
machine
4/28/2012 7:26am
Cool, i'll think about that design every time I blow the leaves out of my driveway with my 2-stroke leaf blower.
4mxonly
4/28/2012 7:30am
For anyone to say the subject matter in this thread isn't relevant to a true, weekend-warrior motocross racer/enthusiast is ridiculous. God forbid a few motocross gear heads talk about engine technology and the implications for motocross, as opposed to the typical drama-queen, rider nut-hugging dribble--fueled by old has-been, never-was curmudgeons--that normally stinks up this place. Get real people.
Insider347
4/28/2012 7:36am
I find the info interesting but that's why I just read on here and not post. There is too many fucking douche bags that know every damn thing about everything. I mean really, it's fucking ridiculous!! You can't have any type of discussion without some fucking asshole starting shit. I'm all for debate but picking shit apart like "it's not NEW technology" is fucking stupid. You're just sharing some new motor design by a company that may or may not translate to mx. If you don't think so then don't post and shut the fuck up!! Just keep your fucking fingers from typing anything. Go to the next thread and tell us why JS7 is not winning.
PRM31
4/28/2012 8:32am
4mxonly wrote:
For anyone to say the subject matter in this thread isn't relevant to a true, weekend-warrior motocross racer/enthusiast is ridiculous. God forbid a few motocross gear...
For anyone to say the subject matter in this thread isn't relevant to a true, weekend-warrior motocross racer/enthusiast is ridiculous. God forbid a few motocross gear heads talk about engine technology and the implications for motocross, as opposed to the typical drama-queen, rider nut-hugging dribble--fueled by old has-been, never-was curmudgeons--that normally stinks up this place. Get real people.
Preach on! I'm with you. Some people feel it's their position to decide what is relevant and interesting. Guess they never considered the idea of not continuing to read the thread or simply not commenting.
4/28/2012 8:35am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2012 7:32am
Insider347 wrote:
I find the info interesting but that's why I just read on here and not post. There is too many fucking douche bags that know every...
I find the info interesting but that's why I just read on here and not post. There is too many fucking douche bags that know every damn thing about everything. I mean really, it's fucking ridiculous!! You can't have any type of discussion without some fucking asshole starting shit. I'm all for debate but picking shit apart like "it's not NEW technology" is fucking stupid. You're just sharing some new motor design by a company that may or may not translate to mx. If you don't think so then don't post and shut the fuck up!! Just keep your fucking fingers from typing anything. Go to the next thread and tell us why JS7 is not winning.
500 Mike
4/28/2012 2:44pm
Insider347 wrote:
I find the info interesting but that's why I just read on here and not post. There is too many fucking douche bags that know every...
Agree 100% !!
Dropbear
4/28/2012 3:06pm
Insider347 wrote:
500 Mike wrote:
Agree 100% !!
+ 1. I would much rather read a thread like this regarding future and current technology and how it affects the bikes we will be riding, than discussing what colour boots are in fashion.
layinbody31
4/30/2012 8:56am
How adaptable is that Athena Direct injection kit? I wouldn't mind toying around with putting it on an older CR250... Smile

Post a reply to: Stihl EFI 2 Stroke

The Latest