Stihl EFI 2 Stroke

dcg141
4/26/2012 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2012 8:56am
TS500i Word from Stihl is that this system is simple, robust and adds $150 to the saw. Sprays fuel into the crankcase.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/26/2012 3:47pm
That's awesome. When are they introducing their bikes?
BAMX
4/26/2012 3:50pm
GuyB wrote:
They are going to hire JS7 and do the nationals first.
dcg141
4/26/2012 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2012 3:55pm
GuyB wrote:
LOL..who knows everyone else in Europe wants into the motorcycle business. Just thought a new 2 stroke technolgy would interest everyone. Besides I have never started a 2 stroke thread. Actually looks close to the OSSA system.

The Shop

layinbody31
4/27/2012 7:08am
This will be awesome for all the Euro's who take blade-less chainsaws to the GPs to rev the shit out of as a form of cheering!
kiwisonfire
4/27/2012 8:49am
This isn't new two stroke technology. EFI is not new technology. You are really reaching for something when you post about a concrete cutter in a Moto forum.
mxb2
4/27/2012 8:52am
Non moto
mx_563
4/27/2012 9:00am
GuyB wrote:
Way to contribute Steve. Here's a legitimate thread about an apropos technology and our fearless leader turns out to be a wise guy. Tisk tisk. Sad
CR250Rider
4/27/2012 9:11am
GuyB wrote:
mx_563 wrote:
Way to contribute Steve. Here's a legitimate thread about an apropos technology and our fearless leader turns out to be a wise guy. Tisk tisk. Sad
steve did post this..
https://youtu.be/S8GfBsDM_Ls
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
4/27/2012 9:21am
GuyB wrote:
mx_563 wrote:
This is a motocross board, not a fuggin contractors' reference site. Good lord two stroke whackos are sensitive these days.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/27/2012 10:20am
GuyB wrote:
mx_563 wrote:
CR250Rider wrote:
steve did post this..
https://youtu.be/S8GfBsDM_Ls
Yep, I did. Think how much faster that guy would be if he was using one of those new two-strokes instead of that clapped-out saw with old technology.
mxer613
4/27/2012 10:22am
one time at band camp i stuck a 2 stroke..........
motomike137
4/27/2012 10:23am
dcg141 wrote:
LOL..who knows everyone else in Europe wants into the motorcycle business. Just thought a new 2 stroke technolgy would interest everyone. Besides I have never started...
LOL..who knows everyone else in Europe wants into the motorcycle business. Just thought a new 2 stroke technolgy would interest everyone. Besides I have never started a 2 stroke thread. Actually looks close to the OSSA system.
You can't reason with the fooper sheep.
mx_563
4/27/2012 10:50am
GuyB wrote:
mx_563 wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
This is a motocross board, not a fuggin contractors' reference site. Good lord two stroke whackos are sensitive these days.
So you're saying that engine technology has nothing to do with motocross.

Contractors also use 4-stroke generators. Should we stop discussing 4-strokes on motocross boards?

There are a lot of really stupid threads on here that deserve a cynical response. It's surprising to me that Steve thinks this is one of them. That's all. I'm not bashing the guy, he can say what he wants.

I found the Stihl FI 2-stroke engine interesting and I own a CRF450. Twenty years ago I was reading about 4-stroke engines when nobody was racing them in motocross. I find electric propulsion interesting too. Shocked

Geez, expand your mind...not everything is a 2-stroke versus 4-stroke debate.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
4/27/2012 10:59am
mx_563 wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
mx_563 wrote:
So you're saying that engine technology has nothing to do with motocross. Contractors also use 4-stroke generators. Should we stop discussing 4-strokes on motocross boards? There...

Contractors also use 4-stroke generators. Should we stop discussing 4-strokes on motocross boards?

There are a lot of really stupid threads on here that deserve a cynical response. It's surprising to me that Steve thinks this is one of them. That's all. I'm not bashing the guy, he can say what he wants.

I found the Stihl FI 2-stroke engine interesting and I own a CRF450. Twenty years ago I was reading about 4-stroke engines when nobody was racing them in motocross. I find electric propulsion interesting too. Shocked

I agree this is not a 2 vs. 4 debate. If someone posted about a new 4 stroke engine in one of the generators you referenced, I would have the same response.
kiwisonfire
4/27/2012 11:02am
Engine technology has everything to do with motocross. And I understand how "firsts" are cool in any subject - like the "first" EFI concrete saw; to an extent that is revolutionary. I just took issue with the poster stating that this was "new technology" when it is clearly not new technology. Two stroke snowmobiles and jet skis have had EFI for a while now, with electronic fuel injection being used in mass as early as the late 1950s and that is much more relevant to motorcycles than a handheld saw. With that being said, everything is all relative in some way, but I just think the poster was reaching for something when posting this.

I must admit though, that the poster started a train of thought in my mind that went like this:
Stihl= EFI tools
Husky= competitor follows suit
Husky= then applies this technology to their CR models
I know the Husky powersports and tools are completely different companies, but just giving the poster credit for getting me thinking.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
4/27/2012 11:21am
mx_563 wrote:
So you're saying that engine technology has nothing to do with motocross. Contractors also use 4-stroke generators. Should we stop discussing 4-strokes on motocross boards? There...

We've cycled back and forth between four-strokes and two-strokes over the last 60-70 years. I suspect in the future we'll be talking about fuel cells or batteries before two-strokes become relevant in pro motocross again.
2T42
4/27/2012 11:27am
Dcg141 didn’t attack 4 strokes. He just posted a cool and relevant EFI video. What’s everyone so scared of?

Would this topic have received the same reception if it showed new tech to be carried over to 4 stroke bikes?

In snowmobile, boat, power tool industries the lighter, cleaner burning and more powerful 2 stroke is the top performer, but not in dirt sickles. Makes sense!
Rupert X
4/27/2012 1:25pm
BIG STIHL fan right here. As a pro groundskeeper, we have and use daily their weed whackers, blowers, chains-saws

partner saws and other shtuff - oddly, a couple years back, we bought their new 4 stroke weed-whipper which,

unlike all the other 2 smoker STIHL products, lasted less than a year...what was very strange about it, is that

we still had to mix the gas in that thing... Me likes STIHL shtuff.
Overdrive
4/27/2012 1:28pm
mx_563 wrote:

GuyB wrote:
We've cycled back and forth between four-strokes and two-strokes over the last 60-70 years. I suspect in the future we'll be talking about fuel cells or...
We've cycled back and forth between four-strokes and two-strokes over the last 60-70 years. I suspect in the future we'll be talking about fuel cells or batteries before two-strokes become relevant in pro motocross again.
Extremely doubtful.
layinbody31
4/27/2012 1:37pm
Rupert X wrote:
BIG STIHL fan right here. As a pro groundskeeper, we have and use daily their weed whackers, blowers, chains-saws partner saws and other shtuff - oddly...
BIG STIHL fan right here. As a pro groundskeeper, we have and use daily their weed whackers, blowers, chains-saws

partner saws and other shtuff - oddly, a couple years back, we bought their new 4 stroke weed-whipper which,

unlike all the other 2 smoker STIHL products, lasted less than a year...what was very strange about it, is that

The 4mix or however it's spelled? My dad has one of those that interchanges between weed wacker, edger, bush trimmer, etc.

I never understood why they'd make it a 4stroke but still make you mix oil in the gas. I guess maybe it's so you can use the same fuel in all your tools, regardless of if they're 2 or 4stroke?
julienmark
4/27/2012 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2012 1:49pm
Fuck you,

I thought it was a legit informative thread, just maybe in the wrong sub forum.

If thats your train of thought, why talk about anything, just shut the whole site down? Dick!
dcg141
4/27/2012 8:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2012 8:42pm
What is different is unlike the Direct FI system used in the sled and marine applications this one is much simpler and less costly. Bringing the same system used on those applications is going to be difficult to do on a dirtbike. A concrete saw..much like a dirtbike operates in a harsh environment and the system needs to be able to be simple and robust. This system does not use a battery and is extremly compact. None of that can be said of the current 2 stroke DFI technology. 2 strokes have been around a long time and EFI has exsisited since the 60's..so no its not entirely new...but I ask you to show me a system like this one currently in production on anything else. A simple battery less, lightweight EFI system on a 2 stroke. This may be exactly what you see coming in the near future from KTM, GasGas or Husqvarna. I do not believe the DFI systems used now will make their way onto the first EFI 2 stroke dirt bikes....and yes they are coming.
dcg141
4/27/2012 8:39pm
Rupert X wrote:
BIG STIHL fan right here. As a pro groundskeeper, we have and use daily their weed whackers, blowers, chains-saws partner saws and other shtuff - oddly...

The 4mix or however it's spelled? My dad has one of those that interchanges between weed wacker, edger, bush trimmer, etc. I never understood why they'd...
The 4mix or however it's spelled? My dad has one of those that interchanges between weed wacker, edger, bush trimmer, etc.

I never understood why they'd make it a 4stroke but still make you mix oil in the gas. I guess maybe it's so you can use the same fuel in all your tools, regardless of if they're 2 or 4stroke?
You cannot turn the 4 stroke trimmers sideways because they will starve for lubrication and fail. Almost every pro uses thier string trimmer as an edger by turining it sideways. The 4 mix also weights alot less than the Honda 4 stroke trimmer.
kiwisonfire
4/27/2012 8:48pm
Boom! dcg141 coming back hard! Thank you for pointing that out man, you know how vital is.. gotta spell out every detail lol. So basically, DI like the Ossa has is not what you think is the answer?
dcg141
4/27/2012 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2012 8:52pm
Engine technology has everything to do with motocross. And I understand how "firsts" are cool in any subject - like the "first" EFI concrete saw; to...
Engine technology has everything to do with motocross. And I understand how "firsts" are cool in any subject - like the "first" EFI concrete saw; to an extent that is revolutionary. I just took issue with the poster stating that this was "new technology" when it is clearly not new technology. Two stroke snowmobiles and jet skis have had EFI for a while now, with electronic fuel injection being used in mass as early as the late 1950s and that is much more relevant to motorcycles than a handheld saw. With that being said, everything is all relative in some way, but I just think the poster was reaching for something when posting this.

I must admit though, that the poster started a train of thought in my mind that went like this:
Stihl= EFI tools
Husky= competitor follows suit
Husky= then applies this technology to their CR models
I know the Husky powersports and tools are completely different companies, but just giving the poster credit for getting me thinking.
Excatly where did I use the term "new technology"?
dcg141
4/27/2012 8:57pm
Boom! dcg141 coming back hard! Thank you for pointing that out man, you know how vital is.. gotta spell out every detail lol. So basically, DI...
Boom! dcg141 coming back hard! Thank you for pointing that out man, you know how vital is.. gotta spell out every detail lol. So basically, DI like the Ossa has is not what you think is the answer?
I have not seen the OSSA up close..but from what I understand the injector is in the engine case like the Stihl. The DFI system has the injector in the head...kinda like a diesel. Needs alot of fuel pressure with a pretty big pump and the injector has to atomize the fuel.
Aide785
4/27/2012 9:10pm
I agree with pretty much everything dcg141 is saying. This system is very interesting and seems like it would be easier to fit onto a bike over the systems that are on the snowmobiles and such. The direct injection on a sled is some crazy technology but I know it requires a battery to work and also know the computer that runs the whole system is very advanced and they actually run the fuel through the computer to keep it cool because it gets so hot. This is obviously easier on a sled because the fuel is going to be cool because of the environment it is in.

Interesting stuff just too bad everyone decided to jump down your throat and likely not even look over the article.

This is a picture of the snowmobile engine with direct injection and you can see how big the injectors are and where they are located.
kiwisonfire
4/27/2012 9:28pm
You said it in your second post. So basically, this system remains lightweight while adding some of the advantages of EFI? What about some of those that would point to DI as the only way to make a fuel efficient, low emission two stroke engine? These are the type of people that consider two-strokes and diesel engines as "dirty" when in reality diesel engines have the potential to be over twice as fuel efficient as a petroleum engine and over 4 times more than an ethanol engine. We also have to look at government regulations and such as relating to what will be manufactured. I know that government regulations don't directly apply to OHV, but from a manufacturers standpoint this does hold some weight. As you have pointed out what DI fixes in fuel efficiency, it loses in weight.

Post a reply to: Stihl EFI 2 Stroke

The Latest