Sticker/Plating requirements riding in CA from AZ.

Dizzy714
Fantasy
3688th
So I just moved out to Arizona, love it, but the plate requirements for OHV’s are absolutely fucking ridiculous. My dirt bike looks sweet with a license plate rigged onto it - not. Needless to say I’m quite upset that they don’t have a sticker program, as California does, for OHV’s.

Anyways. I’ve been trying to figure out what exactly is required on my bike when riding in CA. The registration sticker that’s intended to be placed on the upper left of the plate, can I just slap that thing without the plate onto the inside of my side number plate as you would with a green/red sticker? Is that legal?

Might be a dumb question. Can a vehicle be registered in California without being a California resident? Example. One of my bikes is a Glamis only bike, it will never see ride time here in AZ. If I was able to register it in CA, that would be completely ideal.
|
50dippin
10/10/2019 8:23pm
I wouldn't worry about it unless you want it street legal. I've never put my red sticker on and never had any issues in the last 12 years of riding.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
10/10/2019 9:20pm
Dizzy714 wrote:
So I just moved out to Arizona, love it, but the plate requirements for OHV’s are absolutely fucking ridiculous. My dirt bike looks sweet with a...
So I just moved out to Arizona, love it, but the plate requirements for OHV’s are absolutely fucking ridiculous. My dirt bike looks sweet with a license plate rigged onto it - not. Needless to say I’m quite upset that they don’t have a sticker program, as California does, for OHV’s.

Anyways. I’ve been trying to figure out what exactly is required on my bike when riding in CA. The registration sticker that’s intended to be placed on the upper left of the plate, can I just slap that thing without the plate onto the inside of my side number plate as you would with a green/red sticker? Is that legal?

Might be a dumb question. Can a vehicle be registered in California without being a California resident? Example. One of my bikes is a Glamis only bike, it will never see ride time here in AZ. If I was able to register it in CA, that would be completely ideal.
CA recognizes the AZ registrations, Just keep your plate showing and go ride.

FYI - I don't mount my plates and sticker on my bike. I have it attached to my camelback for riding trails. That way I don't look like a spode on the MX and SX tracks (well, not any more of a spode than I already am...lol). None of my riding buddies mount their plates to the bikes either. We just keep them on our packs showing. FYI - I've never been checked. Been riding since '05 in AZ.
CivBars
10/11/2019 9:15am
It's actually a bit of a hassle and if a Ranger wants to get technical they can site you for way more than you think.

AZ Recreational Vehicle plate with current OHV Decal securely fastened to the rear of the vehicle and clearly visible
(Not on a backpack)

USDA Approved Spark Arrestor and below 96 decibels

Brake Light and at least one red rear reflector

Lighted headlights and taillights, if the OHV is operated between one half-hour after sunset and one half-hour before sunrise

Rear view mirror

https://azstateparks.com/ohv-laws-regulations

TeamGreen
10/11/2019 9:35am
CivBars wrote:
It's actually a bit of a hassle and if a Ranger wants to get technical they can site you for way more than you think. AZ...
It's actually a bit of a hassle and if a Ranger wants to get technical they can site you for way more than you think.

AZ Recreational Vehicle plate with current OHV Decal securely fastened to the rear of the vehicle and clearly visible
(Not on a backpack)

Lighted headlights and taillights, if the OHV is operated between one half-hour after sunset and one half-hour before sunrise

Rear view mirror

This is all true; but, I haven't seen a ranger be an ass about the plate being mounted...if they do? Duct tape it to the seat for the ride and remove it when ya get home.
Laughing
If I'm not mistaken...? AZ is cheaper than CA for Reg & taxes (CA will want you to pay sales tax and transfer fees).

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/11/2019 9:40am
If you moved to AZ from CA, don't worry; Kalifornia still thinks you owe them registration fees for the rest of your life anyway. Just put the green sticker on it!
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3688th
10/11/2019 10:30am
So I did a bit more digging, and it appears to almost make more sense to not bother registering the two vehicles that will never see AZ use (wife’s quad and my CR) and purchasing a CA OHV permit every year for my two vehicles, which is $30/vehicle. A plate wouldn’t look all that bad on a quad, but a bike, absolutely not.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

Does anybody have any information about registering an OHV outside the state of your residency? If that’s possible?

@TeamGreen - Yeah, it’s much cheaper. I don’t remember what my registration costs were in CA. But out here in AZ the actual registration cost is waived for any OHV-only vehicle and you just pay the $25 sticker decal/$3 tax fee. Cheap. But again, ugly!
CivBars
10/11/2019 10:37am
CivBars wrote:
It's actually a bit of a hassle and if a Ranger wants to get technical they can site you for way more than you think. AZ...

(Not on a backpack)

Rear view mirror

TeamGreen wrote:
This is all true; but, I haven't seen a ranger be an ass about the plate being mounted...if they do? Duct tape it to the seat...
This is all true; but, I haven't seen a ranger be an ass about the plate being mounted...if they do? Duct tape it to the seat for the ride and remove it when ya get home.
Laughing
If I'm not mistaken...? AZ is cheaper than CA for Reg & taxes (CA will want you to pay sales tax and transfer fees).
I've had it zip tied sideways to my rear fender and they told me that next time it needed to be mounted to a license plate holder. I still use the zip tie/ duct tape method on the rear fender. They also said since I had a Spark Arrestor that they wouldn't give me a hard time about potential noise (they probably didn't even have a meter) and not having lights and mirrors which, at the time, I thought that was only for getting a street legal plate. So once you have all of the OHV requirements in place, basically add a horn and you're able to apply for an MC Plate. Maybe some other little hoops to jump through? I don't want to mount my plate to my body/ back pack or a dual sport bracket because I'm worried that it'll be a hazard in the event that I crash. Aside from it breaking off, I've heard horror stories about guys getting slashed open by their plate.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
10/11/2019 1:36pm
Yeah lets see it costs me $60 to register both my bikes in AZ, Im guessing it would cost twice or three times as much in CA? I ride out at Ocotillo wells five or six times a year. Never ran into any issues with plates or registration in glamis, but in OW rangers will stop you. I sucked it up and bolted my plate under my rear fender on my mx bike. It sucks and puts holes in the air box but putting the plate on my camelback seems a little more cheesy to me.

Make sure when you cross streets go at a 90 degree angle. Got a ticket for that oneGrinning
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3688th
10/11/2019 3:43pm
skeef wrote:
Yeah lets see it costs me $60 to register both my bikes in AZ, Im guessing it would cost twice or three times as much in...
Yeah lets see it costs me $60 to register both my bikes in AZ, Im guessing it would cost twice or three times as much in CA? I ride out at Ocotillo wells five or six times a year. Never ran into any issues with plates or registration in glamis, but in OW rangers will stop you. I sucked it up and bolted my plate under my rear fender on my mx bike. It sucks and puts holes in the air box but putting the plate on my camelback seems a little more cheesy to me.

Make sure when you cross streets go at a 90 degree angle. Got a ticket for that oneGrinning
I could have sworn the rangers at Glamis are a PITA, but then again I’ve always had my bikes registered & flagged (Speaking of which, has there been any new advances on slick flag mounting in recent times?). I know they’re on it when it comes to your actual Glamis permit, they’re quick to slap a ticket on your windshield any time throughout the day/night they see a vehicle without a permit through the windshield.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
10/11/2019 5:21pm
skeef wrote:
Yeah lets see it costs me $60 to register both my bikes in AZ, Im guessing it would cost twice or three times as much in...

Dizzy714 wrote:
I could have sworn the rangers at Glamis are a PITA, but then again I’ve always had my bikes registered & flagged (Speaking of which, has...
I could have sworn the rangers at Glamis are a PITA, but then again I’ve always had my bikes registered & flagged (Speaking of which, has there been any new advances on slick flag mounting in recent times?). I know they’re on it when it comes to your actual Glamis permit, they’re quick to slap a ticket on your windshield any time throughout the day/night they see a vehicle without a permit through the windshield.
I tried all the slick flag mounts that I know of. Swing arm mount sucks I rip that one off and flag sits too low. The one that sits on the rear fender sucks cause you can't swing your leg over the bike without knocking it and doesn't stay on my 350 worth a damn. I have zip tied my flag it to my camelback but then I find it wapping my head and breaks if you fall. I have one that I bought ten years ago which bolts to the frame and comes out by the exhaust, works the best.

I buy a season pass from my local dealer every year, saves the hassle.
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3688th
10/11/2019 6:45pm
skeef wrote:

Dizzy714 wrote:
I could have sworn the rangers at Glamis are a PITA, but then again I’ve always had my bikes registered & flagged (Speaking of which, has...
skeef wrote:
I tried all the slick flag mounts that I know of. Swing arm mount sucks I rip that one off and flag sits too low. The...
I tried all the slick flag mounts that I know of. Swing arm mount sucks I rip that one off and flag sits too low. The one that sits on the rear fender sucks cause you can't swing your leg over the bike without knocking it and doesn't stay on my 350 worth a damn. I have zip tied my flag it to my camelback but then I find it wapping my head and breaks if you fall. I have one that I bought ten years ago which bolts to the frame and comes out by the exhaust, works the best.

I buy a season pass from my local dealer every year, saves the hassle.
Got a photo?

I used to use a billet piece of aluminum that bolts from the side number plate to the side of your rear fender (requires drilling a hole in your rear fender), and that one was alright - but if you take a spill that leaves you flying off the back in the right way, you’ll split yourself another ass crack.

Post a reply to: Sticker/Plating requirements riding in CA from AZ.

The Latest