Stewart's FIM Decision

jonesaustin
Edited Date/Time 6/26/2014 5:10pm

I'm still unclear as to whether Adderall is in fact the substance behind this probation, but here's a couple thoughts...

If Adderall is prescribed for ADHD, how can the FIM ban it's prescriptive use? Secondly, having recently taken Adderall for the first time, my interpretation of the drug is that it's a full grade, Johnny Cash style amphetamine. I can't imagine it helping a rider, especially at the level these guys are at. It may boost energy, but could also bring on anxiety and likely some overall, physical weakness. I can't see the advantage.

Either he was caught with something else in his system, or the FIM should better ascertain which drugs are off limits. Either way, it seems wrong to publicly put a star athlete on probation before ironing all this out. If it is just Adderall and he does have a prescription (as many do), this public embarrassment was avoidable.
|
tprice07
6/20/2014 11:39am
I'm still unclear as to whether Adderall is in fact the substance behind this probation, but here's a couple thoughts... If Adderall is prescribed for ADHD...

I'm still unclear as to whether Adderall is in fact the substance behind this probation, but here's a couple thoughts...

If Adderall is prescribed for ADHD, how can the FIM ban it's prescriptive use? Secondly, having recently taken Adderall for the first time, my interpretation of the drug is that it's a full grade, Johnny Cash style amphetamine. I can't imagine it helping a rider, especially at the level these guys are at. It may boost energy, but could also bring on anxiety and likely some overall, physical weakness. I can't see the advantage.

Either he was caught with something else in his system, or the FIM should better ascertain which drugs are off limits. Either way, it seems wrong to publicly put a star athlete on probation before ironing all this out. If it is just Adderall and he does have a prescription (as many do), this public embarrassment was avoidable.
Hard to speculate on exact issue/situation one thing is for sure....he didn't have a waiver for the script.
hasko158
6/20/2014 11:39am
They don't ban it for prescription use, but the athlete needs to apply for an exemption before the season. Looks like this part didn't happen.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
6/20/2014 11:41am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2014 11:43am
GuyB also said/heard it was Adderall this morning also.

how can the FIM ban it's prescriptive use?

Therapeutic Use Exemptions
See the link. http://www.wada-ama.org/en/science-medicine/tue/

Had he went through the process they have set up he could have taken it & been legal.
6/20/2014 11:49am
Due to the Wada infraction the FIM has suspended him, Now the AMA has to follow suit and suspend him,
This will drag on for years in the courts unless he just rolls over and takes it like a man.
Unfortunately for everyone it's Guilty until proven innocent

So the last we ever saw of James Stewart was a 1/1 Moto win.
Although the records wont show that, they will take his points for this year away.
Points for SX and Outdoors.

The Shop

DownSouth
6/20/2014 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2014 12:00pm
FastEddy wrote:
GuyB also said/heard it was Adderall this morning also. [i]how can the FIM ban it's prescriptive use?[/i] Therapeutic Use Exemptions See the link. http://www.wada-ama.org/en/science-medicine/tue/ Had he...

Had he went through the process they have set up he could have taken it & been legal.
I could be wrong but even with a TUE I think you can still be in violation of the rules if your levels of the banned substance are above what is considered normal for "therapeutic use".
IceMan446
6/20/2014 12:11pm
Due to the Wada infraction the FIM has suspended him, Now the AMA has to follow suit and suspend him, This will drag on for years...
Due to the Wada infraction the FIM has suspended him, Now the AMA has to follow suit and suspend him,
This will drag on for years in the courts unless he just rolls over and takes it like a man.

Although the records wont show that, they will take his points for this year away.
The AMA doesnt have to follow suit. Not sure where your logic is when you say that.

Thats where there is a huge problem with having two different testing agencies for both series. If they want to unify the testing and have results effect both series they should have one agency do the testing.

And as much as you want the guy to retire, it wont happen.

Hope you enjoy watching him the rest of the summer.
peelout
6/20/2014 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2014 12:15pm
Due to the Wada infraction the FIM has suspended him, Now the AMA has to follow suit and suspend him, This will drag on for years...

with the news of James failing the test also came a plethora of dumb posts... we'll just go ahead and throw yours on top of the "dumbest shit on Vital" pile
jonesaustin
6/20/2014 12:18pm
...but what advantage, if any, would taking amphetamines have on racing? EPO maybe, for later in the motos (less pain and fatigue) but Adderall seems like the worst thing for performing at your best. especially as hard as these guys train, their physical ability is primed for the sport.

now cycling is one thing, when you have major fatigue, EPO can address that (albeit illegally), but coming back to something Johnny O'Mara once said, motos just aren't long enough for a rider to see any real benefit from it.
Oh Gee
6/20/2014 12:20pm
Its amphetamines.

And TUEs are bullshit.

Thats like saying taking 1 vike for a migraine, compared to 10 to get high as a kite.

As soon as your doc quits prescribing, get another doc, or 5 or 10 or 20 docs.
Overdrive
6/20/2014 12:21pm

IceMan446 wrote:
The AMA doesnt have to follow suit. Not sure where your logic is when you say that. Thats where there is a huge problem with having...
The AMA doesnt have to follow suit. Not sure where your logic is when you say that.

Thats where there is a huge problem with having two different testing agencies for both series. If they want to unify the testing and have results effect both series they should have one agency do the testing.

And as much as you want the guy to retire, it wont happen.

Hope you enjoy watching him the rest of the summer.
I think its a 50/50 shot as to whether he will line up at Muddy creek, depends on what the Stewart camp can provide to the powers that be as to a reason for him taking it and proof of that reason.

If the news of him failing the test blows up and spirals out of control then he is done. The blow up in the media has already started and he maybe made an example of.

Either way its a sad sad day for JS and for the sport.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
6/20/2014 12:21pm
...but what advantage, if any, would taking amphetamines have on racing? EPO maybe, for later in the motos (less pain and fatigue) but Adderall seems like...
...but what advantage, if any, would taking amphetamines have on racing? EPO maybe, for later in the motos (less pain and fatigue) but Adderall seems like the worst thing for performing at your best. especially as hard as these guys train, their physical ability is primed for the sport.

now cycling is one thing, when you have major fatigue, EPO can address that (albeit illegally), but coming back to something Johnny O'Mara once said, motos just aren't long enough for a rider to see any real benefit from it.
it is a focus issue, not an endurance issue.
Oh Gee
6/20/2014 12:29pm
...but what advantage, if any, would taking amphetamines have on racing? EPO maybe, for later in the motos (less pain and fatigue) but Adderall seems like...

GrapeApe wrote:
Uh, thats the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Thats like your family doc saying asmtha meds arent anabolic, or melt fat.

And yes, there are doctors that fuckin stupid.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
6/20/2014 12:30pm

GrapeApe wrote:
Oh Gee wrote:
Uh, thats the dumbest thing I've ever read. Thats like your family doc saying asmtha meds arent anabolic, or melt fat. And yes, there are doctors...
Uh, thats the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Thats like your family doc saying asmtha meds arent anabolic, or melt fat.

And yes, there are doctors that fuckin stupid.
Welcome back, now fuck off.
6/20/2014 12:43pm

peelout wrote:
with the news of James failing the test also came a plethora of dumb posts... we'll just go ahead and throw yours on top of the...
with the news of James failing the test also came a plethora of dumb posts... we'll just go ahead and throw yours on top of the "dumbest shit on Vital" pile
Dear Peelout and others,

Not such a dumb post, Like the FIM the AMA has ties with WADA, so you will soon see that his Ban will also be for all over the world.
And will play out just like I said,

tzmike
6/20/2014 12:48pm
I wonder if he put his blue flashing lite on the top of his truck on the way to the pharmacy.
Ohh James, what are we going to do with you !
peelout
6/20/2014 12:59pm

peelout wrote:
with the news of James failing the test also came a plethora of dumb posts... we'll just go ahead and throw yours on top of the...
Dear Peelout and others, Not such a dumb post, Like the FIM the AMA has ties with WADA, so you will soon see that his Ban...
Dear Peelout and others,

Not such a dumb post, Like the FIM the AMA has ties with WADA, so you will soon see that his Ban will also be for all over the world.

whether it does or not doesn't excuse you from such a horribly dumb post.

carry on badboy
6/20/2014 1:13pm
peelout wrote:
Dear Peelout and others, Not such a dumb post, Like the FIM the AMA has ties with WADA, so you will soon see that his Ban...
Dear Peelout and others,

peelout wrote:
whether it does or not doesn't excuse you from such a horribly dumb post.

carry on badboy
Now I see what others see in you, keep it up.
6/20/2014 1:18pm
Certain prescription drugs can be used/abused for performance gain. That's why they are banned. The process is to obtain a TUE 30 days prior to the competition to "excuse" you for having a therapeutic level of the drug in your system if you are tested.

Since everyone reacts differently to drugs, what is performance enhancing for one person may be performance decreasing for another.

Looking through the banned drug list will open your eyes. Beyond the obvious recreational drugs and known drugs like testosterone and EPO are things like Oxycontin, Sudafed, and some cough medications. Because they all have potential performance implications they are all banned.

It is the athletes responsibility to obtain the TUE before the competition. If they don't and they test positive, they the only assumption that can be made is that they were trying to skirt the rules. This one is pretty much a text book case of that scenario.

You can thank the Olympics, Bicycling, and stick and ball sports for the focus on drug testing today as the abuses were such that the performance gains were too quick and too great to be ignored. Now the public demands that their athletes be beyond reproach because of all the scandals of the past. Testing like this is here to stay.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
6/20/2014 1:23pm
Here is the photo USA today had on their article. They have since changed it. Crazy [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/06/20/57467/s1200_Screenshot_6.jpg[/img]
Here is the photo USA today had on their article. They have since changed it. Crazy

way to sterotype it. Figures they would post a pic like that.
6/20/2014 1:26pm
Here is the photo USA today had on their article. They have since changed it. Crazy [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/06/20/57467/s1200_Screenshot_6.jpg[/img]
Here is the photo USA today had on their article. They have since changed it. Crazy

More fool him for dressing like that, joke or not.. he is a public figure after all.
Olson
6/20/2014 1:34pm
FastEddy wrote:
GuyB also said/heard it was Adderall this morning also. [i]how can the FIM ban it's prescriptive use?[/i] Therapeutic Use Exemptions See the link. http://www.wada-ama.org/en/science-medicine/tue/ Had he...

DownSouth wrote:
I could be wrong but even with a TUE I think you can still be in violation of the rules if your levels of the banned...
I could be wrong but even with a TUE I think you can still be in violation of the rules if your levels of the banned substance are above what is considered normal for "therapeutic use".
Correct. For medication that contains illegal substances there is a limit for what is allowed in your system during competition. And why you need a TUE is to protect people that don't need it from taking it. You take medication to prevent an illness/condition not to gain anything. It's that easy.

This is pure speculation and do not apply for this situation. But I have a friend who is a professional athelete, he got caught with anabolic substances in his body, he got suspended for two years. The ban applied to all forms of exercise, he was not even able to sign up for a gym. If this applies here and for other sports I'm not certain, this was ice hockey. If it would, Stewarts suspension/penalty or whatever he gets will apply for SX and MX.
Racer92
6/20/2014 1:58pm
More fool him for dressing like that, joke or not.. he is a public figure after all.
Thats what I say, he obviously had no problem dressing like that and being photographed in that manner. Whos to judge and say that looks bad? Apparently James likes that look just fine !

Non issue.
6/20/2014 2:08pm

He took the picture as a joke, and USAtoday took it and made it look like a African american thug trying to cheat his way to the top like they always try make it sure. Dude your facts are wrong about everything you have posted.. AMA doesent have to follow shit, 2 complete different drug testing bodys and 2 Different governing bodys. Hese lining up at muddy creek.
6/20/2014 2:33pm
Honestly, there should just be one discussion thread for this. I'm tired of seeing these threads.
Fraser
6/20/2014 2:40pm
He took the picture as a joke, and USAtoday took it and made it look like a African american thug trying to cheat his way to...
He took the picture as a joke, and USAtoday took it and made it look like a African american thug trying to cheat his way to the top like they always try make it sure. Dude your facts are wrong about everything you have posted.. AMA doesent have to follow shit, 2 complete different drug testing bodys and 2 Different governing bodys. Hese lining up at muddy creek.
The ama is affiliated to the FIM. the different testing bodies are not relevant. If he's suspended by the FIM his Ama licence should also be suspended. He needs an ama licence to race the nationals. BUT they have an extra week to sort it out
6/20/2014 2:54pm
He took the picture as a joke, and USAtoday took it and made it look like a African american thug trying to cheat his way to...
Fraser wrote:
The ama is affiliated to the FIM. the different testing bodies are not relevant. If he's suspended by the FIM his Ama licence should also be...
The ama is affiliated to the FIM. the different testing bodies are not relevant. If he's suspended by the FIM his Ama licence should also be suspended. He needs an ama licence to race the nationals. BUT they have an extra week to sort it out
AMA doesent run the nats, AMA Pro racing does (MX Sports)
Fraser
6/20/2014 2:58pm
You still need an ama licence to ride though, that's the point I think .

Post a reply to: Stewart's FIM Decision

The Latest