Stewart Renthal /Metcalf Pro Taper

FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
Edited Date/Time 5/26/2012 6:12am
I haven't seen this explained anywhere yet. How is it that Stewart is running Renthal bars when Pro Taper is the official bar supplier to the Suzuki team? Metcalf runs Pro Tapers. Heck in this picture from today you even see the Pro Taper signage on the truck right behind Stewart's bike with Renthals and Renthal grip covers. WTF.com???

|
kongols
5/25/2012 1:38pm
Stewart doesn`t have a contract for this summer.
nc_mx_kid
5/25/2012 1:38pm
it was explained somewhere, JS#7 prefers the Renthal bars
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
5/25/2012 1:39pm
Who cares! Man that bike looks good with those RED backrounds! Haters, get used to them!
DPW
5/25/2012 1:39pm
not sure...why he doesn't just throw a pro-taper pad on the bars and call it good...

he's James...

The Shop

kxking
Fantasy
1235th
5/25/2012 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2012 1:41pm
Damn, that looks good with the RED backgrounds.......
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/25/2012 1:42pm
kongols wrote:
He might not have a contract with Suzuki but I bet Suzuki has a contract with Pro Taper.

I have never seen a team mix and match bars (or any major supplied part) for different riders before.

This reminds me of when RC paid a fine to wear Fox when Pro Circuit had a contract with AXO.
Sherwood
5/25/2012 1:46pm
kongols wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
He might not have a contract with Suzuki but I bet Suzuki has a contract with Pro Taper. I have never seen a team mix and...
He might not have a contract with Suzuki but I bet Suzuki has a contract with Pro Taper.

I have never seen a team mix and match bars (or any major supplied part) for different riders before.

This reminds me of when RC paid a fine to wear Fox when Pro Circuit had a contract with AXO.
Carmichal was with Monster while Suzuki was with Rockstar or am I mistaken?
IceMan446
5/25/2012 1:46pm
FGR01 wrote:
He might not have a contract with Suzuki but I bet Suzuki has a contract with Pro Taper. I have never seen a team mix and...

Why doesnt Brett have the JS7 Red Bull logo on his airbox then either?

Suzuki doesnt care, he isnt a team rider at this point.

See what happens in 2013.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/25/2012 1:54pm
FGR01 wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:
Why doesnt Brett have the JS7 Red Bull logo on his airbox then either? Suzuki doesnt care, he isnt a team rider at this point. See...

JS7 does not conflict with any team sponsor like Renthal does with Pro Taper.

I wonder if the standard sponsor logo list sticker on the rear fender shows Pro Taper?
IceMan446
5/25/2012 2:02pm
FGR01 wrote:

IceMan446 wrote:
Why doesnt Brett have the JS7 Red Bull logo on his airbox then either? Suzuki doesnt care, he isnt a team rider at this point. See...

FGR01 wrote:
JS7 does not conflict with any team sponsor like Renthal does with Pro Taper. I wonder if the standard sponsor logo list sticker on the rear...
JS7 does not conflict with any team sponsor like Renthal does with Pro Taper.

I wonder if the standard sponsor logo list sticker on the rear fender shows Pro Taper?
True. But James doesnt sponsor Suzuki. So why would his logo be on the bike?

Only team sponsors go on the bike. Personal sponsors go on the riders gear.

Which is why you dont see a Rockstar logo on the bike. Thats Bretts personal sponsor.

James doesnt have a contract. Suzuki is providing him with a bike and a way to get it there but he isnt an actual member of the team yet.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/25/2012 2:09pm
Ha! If I'm the Pro Taper rep and I walk under the Suzuki awning the only thing I am thinking is "one of these things is not like the others!"

By the way, look on the AMA website for entries and results. Both Stewart and Metcalf are listed exactly the same as "Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team".
peelout
5/25/2012 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2012 2:13pm
clearly pro-taper sucks and makes you crash...

ps... i have pro-tapers on my honda with a yamaha pad because Meg is too fucking cheap and lazy to buy me a new set

also crashes
IWreckALot
5/25/2012 2:33pm
peelout wrote:
clearly pro-taper sucks and makes you crash... ps... i have pro-tapers on my honda with a yamaha pad because Meg is too fucking cheap and lazy...
clearly pro-taper sucks and makes you crash...

ps... i have pro-tapers on my honda with a yamaha pad because Meg is too fucking cheap and lazy to buy me a new set

also crashes
Is Meg turning into the turd in the pool? Or is that her only down side?

I find it really interesting how disinterested Suzuki is in Alessi. The guy gets as much publicity as Metcalfe. Does anyone know if Suzuki has made any sort of offer for the Alessi's to turn down or is there just no interest in having their name on the bike?
Dezerted
5/25/2012 2:42pm
Considering answer and pro taper are owned by the same guy James must really hate the pro tapers.
Dsigner
5/25/2012 2:44pm
Dezerted wrote:
Considering answer and pro taper are owned by the same guy James must really hate the pro tapers.
LOL!
WhKnuckle
5/25/2012 2:47pm
I think there was something about it in Racerhead last week, apparently James really likes Renthals and since he's not actually a contracted Suzuki rider it's OK to run them. And apparently Pro Taper wasn't too jazzed about it but that's just one of those things when riders have personal contracts and personal preferences that conflict with team contracts.
bobby397
5/25/2012 2:49pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Is Meg turning into the turd in the pool? Or is that her only down side? I find it really interesting how disinterested Suzuki is in...
Is Meg turning into the turd in the pool? Or is that her only down side?

I find it really interesting how disinterested Suzuki is in Alessi. The guy gets as much publicity as Metcalfe. Does anyone know if Suzuki has made any sort of offer for the Alessi's to turn down or is there just no interest in having their name on the bike?
Your last question is prolly your answer. Didn't tony take the shock somewhere to have it looked at and see if he got the same parts as reed did when alessi rode for Suzuki?
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/25/2012 3:16pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I think there was something about it in Racerhead last week, apparently James really likes Renthals and since he's not actually a contracted Suzuki rider it's...
I think there was something about it in Racerhead last week, apparently James really likes Renthals and since he's not actually a contracted Suzuki rider it's OK to run them. And apparently Pro Taper wasn't too jazzed about it but that's just one of those things when riders have personal contracts and personal preferences that conflict with team contracts.
From Racerhead:

Some pit scuttlebutt that had people talking was the use of Renthal bars by James Stewart on the Yoshimura Suzuki team when the team is supported by Pro Taper. Plenty of talk about how Pro Taper is definitely not happy about this (and I checked with them and they’re not) and how James wears Answer gear which is owned by Tucker Rocky, the same company that owns Pro Taper. The deal is PT didn’t make a bar that made Stewart happy (he’s been a long-time Renthal guy) and that he asked if he could use them. Obviously Suzuki said yes and here we are. Weird deal for sure but I suppose Suzuki’s stance is that James (or a second rider) isn’t listed on the contract that Suzuki signed so maybe this is a technicality. I don’t know for sure, just spit-balling here but it’s got people talking.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/25/2012 3:18pm
Kind of lame on James' part. Answer/Tucker Rocky has been loyal to him and he even has his own signature line of gear I believe. I'm sure they could have made a new Pro Taper James Stewart bend that would be an exact copy of the Renthal he likes.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/25/2012 3:22pm
As long as James wins he can do what he wants.
bobby397
5/25/2012 3:22pm
FGR01 wrote:
From Racerhead: Some pit scuttlebutt that had people talking was the use of Renthal bars by James Stewart on the Yoshimura Suzuki team when the team...
From Racerhead:

Some pit scuttlebutt that had people talking was the use of Renthal bars by James Stewart on the Yoshimura Suzuki team when the team is supported by Pro Taper. Plenty of talk about how Pro Taper is definitely not happy about this (and I checked with them and they’re not) and how James wears Answer gear which is owned by Tucker Rocky, the same company that owns Pro Taper. The deal is PT didn’t make a bar that made Stewart happy (he’s been a long-time Renthal guy) and that he asked if he could use them. Obviously Suzuki said yes and here we are. Weird deal for sure but I suppose Suzuki’s stance is that James (or a second rider) isn’t listed on the contract that Suzuki signed so maybe this is a technicality. I don’t know for sure, just spit-balling here but it’s got people talking.
Racerhead or the observations column ?
Dezerted
5/25/2012 3:25pm
Or just put a pro taper pad on his renthals.
bobby397
5/25/2012 3:30pm
Dezerted wrote:
Wouldn't that be like the tiregate issue at JGR?
Dezerted
5/25/2012 3:51pm
Ricky's tires have said bridgestone when they were actually dunlops, or vice versa I can't remember things like I use to. Goddamn it.
5/25/2012 3:58pm
I remember at Redbud an RC display bike had pro taper stickers over top of renthal logo's.
2thefront
5/25/2012 4:02pm
FGR01 wrote:
Kind of lame on James' part. Answer/Tucker Rocky has been loyal to him and he even has his own signature line of gear I believe. I'm...
Kind of lame on James' part. Answer/Tucker Rocky has been loyal to him and he even has his own signature line of gear I believe. I'm sure they could have made a new Pro Taper James Stewart bend that would be an exact copy of the Renthal he likes.
So now we're hating on him for liking a certain brand of bars? I don't know what the big deal is. I'm sure Pro Taper will work on something that suits him for next year but I doubt they had time to get it produced and tested since James signed.
snowy816
5/25/2012 4:04pm
Dezerted wrote:
Ricky's tires have said bridgestone when they were actually dunlops, or vice versa I can't remember things like I use to. Goddamn it.
Correct Ricky ran Bridgestones on his Honda when they were contracted with Dunlops...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/25/2012 4:12pm
Dezerted wrote:
Im actually really surprised that they didn't just simply do that. There have been a few times that teams have run renthal's with other brands pads and stickers over them... I could name two or three teams that did it last year, one being a championship caliber team...
Triton
5/25/2012 4:12pm
You really think after being uncomfortable at JGR and griping about not being on Dunlops, etc that he would make a control switch? The last thing I'm sure he wanted was another thing to blame for being uncomfortable. Also even though it is Tucker Rocky, James owes nothing to ProTaper, it's a seperate entity. Who would be surprised for '13 if Yosh/Suzuki was Renthal backed?

Post a reply to: Stewart Renthal /Metcalf Pro Taper

The Latest