Steve's rant of the week on Pulp MX on the SX TV broadcast!

FWYT
11/1/2018 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 2:55pm
I see many comparisons to stick-and-ball sports. I don't watch those, either.
I fucking hate stick and ball sports. That big game the other night where
the Houston Vikings beat the Boston Broncos in the third period? Yeah, didn't watch that, either.

Countdown to the Nationals!! LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
11/1/2018 10:42pm
We need to remember that while SX is a show, kids love it and they are the future of the sports growth. Don’t you remember being a kid going to SX? it was the coolest thing ever..
flatout111
11/2/2018 5:55am
Awesome pic. Like, seriously, these are two of the coolest people in our sport. Steve does so much for MX/SX. I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for all the amazing content he provides. And Ralph, well, he is just a super nice dude who is passionate about our Supercross and has been the voice for over 12 years now. I think we're lucky to have him.

I was actually listening to an old podcast from 2012 where Steve interviewed Ralph. Did you guys know Ralph was calling SX/MX as early as 1989? He was there as a pit reporter as well with Despain, Art and David. That's pretty cool. Despite his detractors, you can't deny his dedication to the sport for nearly 3 decades now.

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2212th
11/2/2018 6:13am
The broadcast isn't that bad.

The social media stuff is kinda lame but I think it could be better if you gave people a task, answer a question, show us a picture of the worst crash damage you ever did to a bike, tell us where you are riding your next time out. I'd like to see another girl in Juliana's place. I actually enjoy how awkward some of her tv stuff is just for the weird factor, but that's just me.

Ralph and Jeff are always pausing mid-sentence which makes them sound like they forgot how to speak English. I think they are probably listening to something in their ear-piece. The production team needs to work on this big-time.

There isn't that much downtime in a regular show actually. They usually do 3 longer segments which is just enough time to use the bathroom, get another drink and a snack. If you are there live it's an absolute mad rush to get those things in and not miss any action. The big thing is trying to explain heats and lcqs to people that don't follow the sport and then they lose interest before the mains come around. It doesn't help when the main is on at midnight during the West coast rounds.

Get rid of 250 East/West and you will see stronger 450 and 250 teams and better racing action.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
11/2/2018 6:31am
Have you guys ever watched a MotoGP race? You buy the pass and get to watch every race from about 1985 on. More recent races you can watch every practice, qualifier, warm up etc. The commentary is intelligent and they often pick up on things that I miss, a small slip of a front tire, someone’s tire wearing earlier than others, it’s educated, it doesn’t pander, just great analysis.

Side note, anyone else catch the Moto3 race at Phillip Island? Top 14 finished within a second! Crazy!
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/2/2018 6:45am
early wrote:
The broadcast isn't that bad. The social media stuff is kinda lame but I think it could be better if you gave people a task, answer...
The broadcast isn't that bad.

The social media stuff is kinda lame but I think it could be better if you gave people a task, answer a question, show us a picture of the worst crash damage you ever did to a bike, tell us where you are riding your next time out. I'd like to see another girl in Juliana's place. I actually enjoy how awkward some of her tv stuff is just for the weird factor, but that's just me.

Ralph and Jeff are always pausing mid-sentence which makes them sound like they forgot how to speak English. I think they are probably listening to something in their ear-piece. The production team needs to work on this big-time.

There isn't that much downtime in a regular show actually. They usually do 3 longer segments which is just enough time to use the bathroom, get another drink and a snack. If you are there live it's an absolute mad rush to get those things in and not miss any action. The big thing is trying to explain heats and lcqs to people that don't follow the sport and then they lose interest before the mains come around. It doesn't help when the main is on at midnight during the West coast rounds.

Get rid of 250 East/West and you will see stronger 450 and 250 teams and better racing action.
I agree with this , especially Trying to explain, this isnt the main Race , "well it's a race but it doesn't really count , or uuuhh I mean it counts but it doesn't mean that guy won , I mean uh, The main main race will be later!
I dont have a solution for that though!
Unless it was More like triple crown I guess ,

I do wish they would do the Numbers how they Finished the previous year though, that would be a really easy to explain, that The order of the numbers on there bikes is The position They finished in the championship points the Previous year , do that in both classes with different color backgrounds, very easy to understand,
And imo someone that dont follow the Sport isnt gonna know the number weather its permanent or Not.
early
Fantasy
2212th
11/2/2018 7:13am
Tarz483 wrote:
I agree with this , especially Trying to explain, this isnt the main Race , "well it's a race but it doesn't really count , or...
I agree with this , especially Trying to explain, this isnt the main Race , "well it's a race but it doesn't really count , or uuuhh I mean it counts but it doesn't mean that guy won , I mean uh, The main main race will be later!
I dont have a solution for that though!
Unless it was More like triple crown I guess ,

I do wish they would do the Numbers how they Finished the previous year though, that would be a really easy to explain, that The order of the numbers on there bikes is The position They finished in the championship points the Previous year , do that in both classes with different color backgrounds, very easy to understand,
And imo someone that dont follow the Sport isnt gonna know the number weather its permanent or Not.
Triple crowns are good but not perfect. Since it's confusing anyway, I'd like to see more variation in the program. Standard, triple crown, 2 Moto, knockout qualifying, keep the guys on their toes and have something interesting to talk about.

Re numbers
Numbers hardly matter. I'd rather see guys reserve a permanent number at the start of their career.

250 class gets 3 digit numbers, defending champ runs number 1. Each rider picks their number and keeps it with a year or 2 of inactivity.

450 Class gets 2 digit numbers with defending champ running number 1. Riders would pick a new number when they move to the 450 class.
11/2/2018 7:14am
bh84 wrote:
Have you guys ever watched a MotoGP race? You buy the pass and get to watch every race from about 1985 on. More recent races you...
Have you guys ever watched a MotoGP race? You buy the pass and get to watch every race from about 1985 on. More recent races you can watch every practice, qualifier, warm up etc. The commentary is intelligent and they often pick up on things that I miss, a small slip of a front tire, someone’s tire wearing earlier than others, it’s educated, it doesn’t pander, just great analysis.

Side note, anyone else catch the Moto3 race at Phillip Island? Top 14 finished within a second! Crazy!
Possibly the best race ever. And like you said, the commentary team is top notch and even though I'm a promoter, racer, and even an occasional announcer, it's extremely hard to find fault with anyone the GP puts in their team. No crappy twitter segments of looking at moron's with their bikes in their living rooms, no irrelevant makeup to mud crap. They interview riders, show what they're doing pre race while sitting in their garages etc. The pre race show builds excitement, and they show everyone in the race, not just the first three or four guys because they know the guy that's going to finish 30th is till one of the best guys in the world.

Post a reply to: Steve's rant of the week on Pulp MX on the SX TV broadcast!

The Latest