Steve's rant of the week on Pulp MX on the SX TV broadcast!

NorCal 50+
10/31/2018 9:29am
All this complaining after they did a major revamp of the program by creating a new logo. Sheesh...no appreciation. Cheerful
i've gotten used to Ralph- he conveys the right level of excitement without being a goofball about it. Emig is about average. I wish he would learn basic grammar and subject-verb agreement ("he has came here today to win...") but that's quibbling at this point.
If you watch football, the commentators aren't explaining how the game works, unless it's an obscure rule. I'm not a TV producer, so I don't know the right balance. But this is not an event I would invite some non-riding friends to come watch, put it that way.
downard254
10/31/2018 10:00am
JeepnMike wrote:
I remember the days when SX wasn't on TV and my only source of news and race results was my monthly MXA I couldn't wait to...
I remember the days when SX wasn't on TV and my only source of news and race results was my monthly MXA I couldn't wait to get in the mail.. You guys are picky Wink
I was kind of thinking the same thing. As bad as it seems to be, damn, I'm just glad I can actually watch it on TV. I remember back in the early-mid '80's, every once in a while you might catch a SX race on ESPN (which I didn't have, but could have someone record it on VCR), but I do remember going down to the motorcycle shop every Tuesday hoping the new cycle news was on the counter. It was usually only a page and a half of reading, but man I loved it!
Adam43
10/31/2018 10:23am
Wake me up when the outdoors start.
omalley
10/31/2018 11:00am
Outdoors is real motocross for real motocrossers to see.
Supercross is a circus sideshow rock concert that happens to feature motorcycle racing.

The Shop

BikeGuy321
10/31/2018 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 1:59pm
JeepnMike wrote:
I remember the days when SX wasn't on TV and my only source of news and race results was my monthly MXA I couldn't wait to...
I remember the days when SX wasn't on TV and my only source of news and race results was my monthly MXA I couldn't wait to get in the mail.. You guys are picky Wink
The commentators were 10x better on ESPN though, and that was way back in the early 2000's. I would gladly wait until Sunday to watch the races if ESPN started doing the broadcast again. The Fox broadcast is so dumbed down, it makes the sport look hokey and amateurish.
Frank
10/31/2018 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 2:31pm
They should show Ralph riding the track each week to put it in perspective for all these non core fans they think are watching. It would be good entertainment for the rest of us also.
flatout111
10/31/2018 3:06pm
Frank wrote:
They should show Ralph riding the track each week to put it in perspective for all these non core fans they think are watching. It would...
They should show Ralph riding the track each week to put it in perspective for all these non core fans they think are watching. It would be good entertainment for the rest of us also.
I'm not sure I'd like to see that as we need to keep Ralph safe. However, I did use to enjoy Cameron Steele hop aboard the Sobe Suzuki and take some Outdoor laps to show the track map in more human terms. Better than green arrow. It def gave a good indication how difficult what these riders face each and every week is.

Ahhhh...the Sobe Suzuki. Good times!
wpark89
10/31/2018 3:18pm
It’s nice being able to see it live....sometimes. I remember calling 1-900-INF-MOTO for Anaheim results in the 90s. But....I fall into the category of guys that would rather watch it delayed and see a program like we had on ESPN years ago. I can’t sit through 3 or 4 hours of BS every Saturday night for 4 months. The format we have just doesn’t work for live TV. I can check online for results and highlights and watch the races later and skip the crap.

I know I’m not the broadcasters target...I don’t need all the fireworks and Monster garbage. It looked more like a real sport with an old AMA official holding the 30 second board in a referee shirt than the Monster Girls. And yes...I like girls.

I think the first SX live was Vegas in 99 or 00 and I remember not being able to watch as it was too long without enough racing.

flatout111
10/31/2018 3:44pm
wpark89 wrote:
It’s nice being able to see it live....sometimes. I remember calling 1-900-INF-MOTO for Anaheim results in the 90s. But....I fall into the category of guys that...
It’s nice being able to see it live....sometimes. I remember calling 1-900-INF-MOTO for Anaheim results in the 90s. But....I fall into the category of guys that would rather watch it delayed and see a program like we had on ESPN years ago. I can’t sit through 3 or 4 hours of BS every Saturday night for 4 months. The format we have just doesn’t work for live TV. I can check online for results and highlights and watch the races later and skip the crap.

I know I’m not the broadcasters target...I don’t need all the fireworks and Monster garbage. It looked more like a real sport with an old AMA official holding the 30 second board in a referee shirt than the Monster Girls. And yes...I like girls.

I think the first SX live was Vegas in 99 or 00 and I remember not being able to watch as it was too long without enough racing.

I do prefer it live but I just think there is a better way. I think some changes are coming but I'm not sure it will really address the real problematic issues. We'll see.
peelout
10/31/2018 4:01pm
Frank wrote:
They should show Ralph riding the track each week to put it in perspective for all these non core fans they think are watching. It would...
lol

remember when Clint Bowyer fucking destroyed himself trying to rip a holey at a supercross one year?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
10/31/2018 5:25pm
Brad460 wrote:
Not sure why showing moto fans (bikes in their living rooms, babies dressed in moto gear..etc) during the broadcast is such a bad thing.. I guess...
Not sure why showing moto fans (bikes in their living rooms, babies dressed in moto gear..etc) during the broadcast is such a bad thing..

I guess people just like to complain..

Cant wait for A1 and this year we are going to Daytona!
The Twitter stuff is such a stupid segment. But, there is so much down time in Supercross, that they have to fill it with something.
flatout111
10/31/2018 6:12pm
Brad460 wrote:
Not sure why showing moto fans (bikes in their living rooms, babies dressed in moto gear..etc) during the broadcast is such a bad thing.. I guess...
Not sure why showing moto fans (bikes in their living rooms, babies dressed in moto gear..etc) during the broadcast is such a bad thing..

I guess people just like to complain..

Cant wait for A1 and this year we are going to Daytona!
RichieW13 wrote:
The Twitter stuff is such a stupid segment. But, there is so much down time in Supercross, that they have to fill it with something.
I'm telling you, the College Gameday thing that Weege did at MXDN would be great as long as they can get a decent panel and host for it. Bench racing! It works for literally every other sport. Why not Supercross?
wpark89
10/31/2018 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 6:33pm
flatout111 wrote:
I'm telling you, the College Gameday thing that Weege did at MXDN would be great as long as they can get a decent panel and host...
I'm telling you, the College Gameday thing that Weege did at MXDN would be great as long as they can get a decent panel and host for it. Bench racing! It works for literally every other sport. Why not Supercross?
It works for the Nations because it’s a special event and there are so many stories/angles/countries etc to discuss. For SX you could do it for the first round and that’s probably it. There’s just going to be too many uneventful weekends in SX. Imagine in football if the same handful of teams played each other every Saturday night for 4 months....it would get boring and they’d be hurting for things to talk about...then factor in if half the good players were hurt and out until next season.
ab5772
10/31/2018 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 7:49pm
To me, Emig isn't "bad," he's just extremely bland and offers zero new information. For someone who is supposed to have been there/done that, he's about as boring as you can get. Sort of the unseasoned, boneless chicken breast of moto announcing. How's about showing a little personality, Fro Daddy!
flatout111
10/31/2018 7:44pm
flatout111 wrote:
I'm telling you, the College Gameday thing that Weege did at MXDN would be great as long as they can get a decent panel and host...
wpark89 wrote:
It works for the Nations because it’s a special event and there are so many stories/angles/countries etc to discuss. For SX you could do it for...
It works for the Nations because it’s a special event and there are so many stories/angles/countries etc to discuss. For SX you could do it for the first round and that’s probably it. There’s just going to be too many uneventful weekends in SX. Imagine in football if the same handful of teams played each other every Saturday night for 4 months....it would get boring and they’d be hurting for things to talk about...then factor in if half the good players were hurt and out until next season.
I was basically talking at Triple Crown races. I stated that earlier but didn't in this last few posts.
Dang It
10/31/2018 9:14pm
If we could all just take the time to give some constructive criticism to Feld and Supercross Live, maybe we could make a difference. It's worth a try. Let's make a difference. Please send your comments to the Link below.

https://www.supercrosslive.com/contact
Premixed112
10/31/2018 10:19pm
JeepnMike wrote:
Did you walk uphill to and from school, also?
Cortami79
11/1/2018 12:51am
I see some good points here and there. For sure, I think it is a good thing to be able to see it live on TV. But I agree it could get some changes. The MXGP coverage for example, it really gives me information I would like to know. The TV crew will interview some of the riders before the race and most of the time they ask good questions. Maybe they could include that to the show instead of showing these baby pics. Walk trough the paddock and ask team members questions etc. Or just watch how it goes at F1. Professional interviews and it really keeps the viewer informed and interested.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
11/1/2018 10:08am
Cortami79 wrote:
I see some good points here and there. For sure, I think it is a good thing to be able to see it live on TV...
I see some good points here and there. For sure, I think it is a good thing to be able to see it live on TV. But I agree it could get some changes. The MXGP coverage for example, it really gives me information I would like to know. The TV crew will interview some of the riders before the race and most of the time they ask good questions. Maybe they could include that to the show instead of showing these baby pics. Walk trough the paddock and ask team members questions etc. Or just watch how it goes at F1. Professional interviews and it really keeps the viewer informed and interested.
I used to go to local car races, and one of the tracks had a roving announcer. He would hang out in the pits most of the night, and go talk to the racers and teams to get updates on their cars, etc.

SX will occasionally have somebody go to the pits to check on somebody, but I think the teams should be encouraged to allow a little more access about what is going on.

Also, the broadcast needs to do a better job of following up on injured privateers. Every few weeks there is some privateer who draws a yellow flag, and has to get carted off the track, but we usually don't hear anything about it. We're lucky if they even name the poor guy.
Hudd_421
11/1/2018 10:22am
While I don't necessarily enjoy the current broadcast group, there shouldn't be an indictment on Jeff and Ralph, but rather the marketing and presentation of the show.

To Matthes' point, there are 30 min dedicated to Boobs and Monster girls, and virtually no value-add commentary (save Mike and Daniel). Fox needs to stop trying to "attract" new viewers with the spectacle that is Supercross, but rather treat it like a sport. Joe blow isn't going to be skipping through channels and "see everyone having a good time with big titty girls" and decide to become a fan...

If Feld/Fox or whoever picks up the TV package wants to grow the sport, they would partner with Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc for live streaming. Much like Amazon did for Football. That's where the eyeballs are now. Not on traditional TV
11/1/2018 10:57am
Kx125rider wrote:
Ricky, lets take a look at the Suzuki cutaway bike. These here are the handlebars guys, the riders are gonna need the handlebars late in the...
Ricky, lets take a look at the Suzuki cutaway bike. These here are the handlebars guys, the riders are gonna need the handlebars late in the race tonight, back to you jeff
RC has no skills/brains outside of riding a motorcycle. OK which he is damn good at. But that's all he did his whole life since being a little kid. If I ride a skateboard, sail a boat, rebuild a car engine my whole life since I was a kid then I'm probably going to be pretty damn good at it later on in life! So when RC tries to talk he is not in his best element. "Like you said Jeff..." & then he repeats something somebody already said with no real personal spin, insight on it, etc. Where is that mute button. He is easy to mess with by Jeff & I enjoy that immensely. He's faster than Jeff on a bike but Jeff is a better announcer (imho). Some racers are better at it than other but still... Ralphy -boy is an "announcer". Probably went to college for it, etc. So he is pretty damn good at announcing. But he is not a motocross racer so... It's all about what you are good at in most cases.
Tater
Fantasy
285th
11/1/2018 11:23am
flatout111 wrote:
wpark89 wrote:
It works for the Nations because it’s a special event and there are so many stories/angles/countries etc to discuss. For SX you could do it for...
Matthes, Weege and JT$ spend an hour going over the races on their review podcast, there is an hour leading up to the races Thursdays on the Fly Racing podcast and the Pulp show is over 4 hours every week. That is just the stuff Matthes is involved with and there are several other sources that each fill up about an hour every week. They even have their own afternoon internet show they could draw off of. Some of it is re-hashed on the various shows but it should be easy to put together enough content to actually make the SX down-time interesting to all levels of fan. Even if it's previous week or mid-week developments they have on reserve for early in the night or if nothing dramatic enough is happening during that particular race.
CozMan
11/1/2018 11:37am
The problem is that legally, this is NOT a sport. It's a show. Owned by Feld. Just like the Circus or Monster Jam.

It's kind of like having the NFL (AMA) that oversees a sport...but the games are produced by FELD. If Feld had football games, it would be like the damn Lingerie League of a few years back. Or the XFL with crazy rules and stupid gimmicky crap.

I hate the AMA like most of you do, but the only solution is for the AMA to take indoor racing...call it MX Indoors (or some equally descriptive name) and start a series. Form the rules ala NFL/NBA/MLB with participant representation, rules, pay structures, etc...and run the program. They would at least treat it with respect and the passion for motorsports would be more evident than a company that makes money with laser lights and screaming announcers.
11/1/2018 11:46am
CozMan wrote:
The problem is that legally, this is NOT a sport. It's a show. Owned by Feld. Just like the Circus or Monster Jam. It's kind of...
The problem is that legally, this is NOT a sport. It's a show. Owned by Feld. Just like the Circus or Monster Jam.

It's kind of like having the NFL (AMA) that oversees a sport...but the games are produced by FELD. If Feld had football games, it would be like the damn Lingerie League of a few years back. Or the XFL with crazy rules and stupid gimmicky crap.

I hate the AMA like most of you do, but the only solution is for the AMA to take indoor racing...call it MX Indoors (or some equally descriptive name) and start a series. Form the rules ala NFL/NBA/MLB with participant representation, rules, pay structures, etc...and run the program. They would at least treat it with respect and the passion for motorsports would be more evident than a company that makes money with laser lights and screaming announcers.
don't forget the fire! They love fire & shooting flames! ! haha
aees
11/1/2018 12:16pm
CozMan wrote:
The problem is that legally, this is NOT a sport. It's a show. Owned by Feld. Just like the Circus or Monster Jam. It's kind of...

Well, thats the same for most big sport series out there. And supercross is considered a sport. Who owns or controls the series has nothing to do with it how it is classified.

Commercial drivers are behind many many big "series". In some countries, the national crowning of champions are driven by non-profit organizations (may or may not be owned by the government, it differs).

AMA is as much behind SX as they are behind nationals. Same structure, just different owners. Same with FIM and MXGP, different owners, same structure.
Frank
11/1/2018 12:23pm
SX is portrayed as a show not a motorsport.

Get rid of the lasers, fire, smoke, bimbos, fireworks, screaming monster truck announcers, etc. They turned SX into a joke.

zehn
11/1/2018 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 12:41pm
Frank wrote:
SX is portrayed as a show not a motorsport. Get rid of the lasers, fire, smoke, bimbos, fireworks, screaming monster truck announcers, etc. They turned SX...

Get rid of the lasers, fire, smoke, bimbos, fireworks, screaming monster truck announcers, etc. They turned SX into a joke.

And yet they still routinely sell 30-50k tickets per event.

Just sayin'
aees
11/1/2018 12:44pm
Frank wrote:
SX is portrayed as a show not a motorsport. Get rid of the lasers, fire, smoke, bimbos, fireworks, screaming monster truck announcers, etc. They turned SX...

Been to any hockey game lately? Lasers and music and whatever during opening ceremonies. Get some perspective.

All big sports are shows, has to be.
Frank
11/1/2018 12:56pm
I respect your opinion. Americans have the intelligence and attention span of a gnat I agree with you. Supercross is no longer a motorsport it is simply a show.
zehn
11/1/2018 1:07pm
aees wrote:
Been to any hockey game lately? Lasers and music and whatever during opening ceremonies. Get some perspective.

All big sports are shows, has to be.
All big 4 sports are like this, the least of all baseball. But they still have fireworks. Basketball/football etc. opening ceremonies are pretty similar to SX minus the Monster stuff everywhere.

Post a reply to: Steve's rant of the week on Pulp MX on the SX TV broadcast!

The Latest