Steve Lamson

Mr. Info
11/9/2018 10:46am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2018 12:16pm
Does anyone know if 2 time 125 Champ is ok. Heard fire destroyed Paradise. I mean burned it to the ground with a population of 30,000. Hospital, stores, everything
|
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
11/9/2018 10:56am
I'm so heartbroken for California right now. To answer your question, no I haven't heard anything. But to talk about the fires, it's terrible that Ventura county woke up with news of a deadly shooting at a bar in Thousand Oaks, killing 13 including the gunman, then to have fires break out all over So-cal after dealing with the Thomas fire last year.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
11/9/2018 11:05am
Mr. Info wrote:
Does anyone know if 2 time 125 Champ is ok. Heard fire destroyed Paradise. I mean burned it to the ground with a population of 30,000...
Does anyone know if 2 time 125 Champ is ok. Heard fire destroyed Paradise. I mean burned it to the ground with a population of 30,000. Hospital, stores, everything
I have a friend who's aunt and uncle owned a restaurant in Paradise. They posted a video on Facebook and the entire town is destroyed. It's horrible.

California has been through a lot the last few days...
slipdog
11/9/2018 1:42pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Does anyone know if 2 time 125 Champ is ok. Heard fire destroyed Paradise. I mean burned it to the ground with a population of 30,000...
Ugh, I haven't talked to him in a couple years now but he doesn't live anywhere near there that I'm aware of.
Mr. Info
11/9/2018 5:58pm
Slip I thought that's where he was living the last time I spoke to him a year ago.

The Shop

slipdog
11/9/2018 6:46pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Slip I thought that's where he was living the last time I spoke to him a year ago.
It's entirely possible because I haven't heard anything about him since he disappeared from being Star Racing's team manager. That's been a few years but we have a lot of old friends in common and haven't heard anything about him being back up here. Maybe he's just doing the Ted Kaczynski thing living in the woods
TG130
11/9/2018 8:38pm
Mr. Info wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Ugh, I haven't talked to him in a couple years now but he doesn't live anywhere near there that I'm aware of.
He used to live in Pollock Pines, which is quite a ways from Paradise - don't know if he still does or not. Are you guys confusing PP with Paradise ? I hope he is OK.
Snoqualmie
11/10/2018 12:11pm
Lawson was from Pollock Pines which is east of Sacramento, Paradise is 100 miles north of Sacramento

I grew up in Paradise - no longer live there having left after college.

Still many friends there.

The town is destroyed - 80% of homes burnt or damaged. It’s a town of about 30,000 so the Cal Fire report of 6500 homes destroyed sounds about right.

Sad times - many memories
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
11/10/2018 1:27pm
Snoqualmie wrote:
Lawson was from Pollock Pines which is east of Sacramento, Paradise is 100 miles north of Sacramento I grew up in Paradise - no longer live...
Lawson was from Pollock Pines which is east of Sacramento, Paradise is 100 miles north of Sacramento

I grew up in Paradise - no longer live there having left after college.

Still many friends there.

The town is destroyed - 80% of homes burnt or damaged. It’s a town of about 30,000 so the Cal Fire report of 6500 homes destroyed sounds about right.

Sad times - many memories
Damn
That’s terrible. Sorry for these poor people !
11/10/2018 2:45pm
Wow this getting to be an epidemic in such fire prone areas around the world. I don't want to bring in the whole debate on this right now but is it getting worse or is the reporting just getting more globalised? Australia, Greece, Cali come to mind and I'm sure there's a lot of other parts of southern Europe like in Spain and Italy that are getting the same. Thoughts and prayers go out to those people.
BobbyM
11/10/2018 10:00pm
Not even close to where Steve lives. 100 plus miles south of paradise.
slipdog
11/11/2018 4:56am
Spoke to someone at the track yesterday that should know and believes like I that Steve still is in SoCal somewhere.

Also, several guys from up that area said some pretty bad stuff that is not being reported in the news about what happened up there. Absolutely gut wrenching...
BobbyM
11/11/2018 9:30am
Wow this getting to be an epidemic in such fire prone areas around the world. I don't want to bring in the whole debate on this...
Wow this getting to be an epidemic in such fire prone areas around the world. I don't want to bring in the whole debate on this right now but is it getting worse or is the reporting just getting more globalised? Australia, Greece, Cali come to mind and I'm sure there's a lot of other parts of southern Europe like in Spain and Italy that are getting the same. Thoughts and prayers go out to those people.
High Winds, low humidity and an extended very dry rainy season... or drought could be several reasons that intensifies "standard" forest fires.
Johnny Depp
11/11/2018 9:40am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2018 9:41am
Hope Lammy is good.

Very suspicious things in recent fires, not sure on this one.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
11/11/2018 9:53am
Hope Lammy is good.

The Fire seems , Bizarre to me like i wouldn't have thought thst possible, and i have been there ,
I lived in yuba city marysville which isnt to far from there.
davistld01
11/11/2018 11:11am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2018 11:13am
Very sad about Paradise! No reason, in this day and age of prevention technology that it should have happened so quickly & become “uncontrollable” so instantly. I lean toward our POTUS when he made the unpopular statement about poor management. Also funny how the media hushes up about the fires almost as soon as they are over & the damage is done, huh? Very, very suspicious. Many lost everything including their lives senselessly. Hope Lammy wasn’t one of them!
motogrady
11/11/2018 12:51pm
Hope Lammy is good.

Pyromaniacs out there for sure, but, I read yesterday the big power company out there might be the culprit on this one,

Apparently a big overhead power line in the area indicated a problem at like 6:15, and the first fire reports started coming in like 15 minutes later.
Chris_Gall
Fantasy
3549th
11/11/2018 2:26pm
Once a fire starts in these conditions (dry and lots of fuel) with super high winds it's impossible to fight. This happened in Santa Rosa last yr and now same thing in Paradise. Winds picked back up last night after a few day's of being mild and I'm sure it's getting worse by the minute spreading south. Sucks big time!!

PGE (the power co) now shuts power off anytime a chance of high winds. People in some of these towns like Napa, Santa Rosa and even in the Sierras lose there power for a couple day's. It's a bad situation!
11/11/2018 2:30pm
Every started a camp fire with some wind ?! It’s insane. Cant imagine all the vegetation and everything being dry in windy situations. That’s for sure a disaster.
motogrady
11/11/2018 6:49pm

So, the post with a political comeback for this gets taken down, and this stays up?

oldblood
11/11/2018 6:52pm
motogrady wrote:

So, the post with a political comeback for this gets taken down, and this stays up?

I took it down proactively, on thin ice already. You got the point tho
oldblood
11/11/2018 6:56pm
Spent some time around the Lamsons, hope all is good.
11/11/2018 7:01pm
We watched a fire start right down our hill, it was some tweaker with a road flare. We almost lost alot of valuable items. They didn't catch that guy yet.

There was actually another one in Fallbrook CA today. They caught the guy soon after he started it. He had a rap sheet a mile long.

Fire starter

I like how they blame natural causes, and then when you see people have to actually start a fire on any of those survival shows and it is extremely hard to do.
Snoqualmie
11/14/2018 11:50am
Chris_Gall wrote:
Once a fire starts in these conditions (dry and lots of fuel) with super high winds it's impossible to fight. This happened in Santa Rosa last...
Once a fire starts in these conditions (dry and lots of fuel) with super high winds it's impossible to fight. This happened in Santa Rosa last yr and now same thing in Paradise. Winds picked back up last night after a few day's of being mild and I'm sure it's getting worse by the minute spreading south. Sucks big time!!

PGE (the power co) now shuts power off anytime a chance of high winds. People in some of these towns like Napa, Santa Rosa and even in the Sierras lose there power for a couple day's. It's a bad situation!
^^^^ This.

In this case it is not 'bad forest management', though that is a topic for a later day.

In this case it is not an arsonist, also a topic for another day.

In this case it is a 'firestorm'. In a firestorm there is nothing anybody can do... Think hurricane and replace water with fire.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
11/14/2018 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2018 12:03pm
Hope Lammy is good.

Yes, very suspicious that California is in a drought and winds exceeded 50 mph in high danger fire season.

Vital automatically like "it's the government!!!! it's a conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Wade221
11/14/2018 12:40pm
Tarz483 wrote:
The Fire seems , Bizarre to me like i wouldn't have thought thst possible, and i have been there , I lived in yuba city marysville...
The Fire seems , Bizarre to me like i wouldn't have thought thst possible, and i have been there ,
I lived in yuba city marysville which isnt to far from there.
When did you live in YC?
500guy
11/14/2018 12:44pm
Sounds like He's saying once it gets started we can't control it but at the end He mentions controlled burns to maybe help prevent them.

To me maybe they better start letting the Loggers go back to work and clear some of these forests out.

2.25 billion spent this year ? This is the new war on drugs, maybe they won't want the fires to totally go away.
11/14/2018 2:36pm
davistld01 wrote:
Very sad about Paradise! No reason, in this day and age of prevention technology that it should have happened so quickly & become “uncontrollable” so instantly...
Very sad about Paradise! No reason, in this day and age of prevention technology that it should have happened so quickly & become “uncontrollable” so instantly. I lean toward our POTUS when he made the unpopular statement about poor management. Also funny how the media hushes up about the fires almost as soon as they are over & the damage is done, huh? Very, very suspicious. Many lost everything including their lives senselessly. Hope Lammy wasn’t one of them!
You do understand the national media, like insurance, is in the money making business and not the interest of the people business, right? Once their money is made they move on to the next money making tragedy.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
11/14/2018 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2018 3:53pm
500guy wrote:
Sounds like He's saying once it gets started we can't control it but at the end He mentions controlled burns to maybe help prevent them. To...
Sounds like He's saying once it gets started we can't control it but at the end He mentions controlled burns to maybe help prevent them.

To me maybe they better start letting the Loggers go back to work and clear some of these forests out.

2.25 billion spent this year ? This is the new war on drugs, maybe they won't want the fires to totally go away.
The maintenance issue is real in some areas when fires start in more manageable weather conditions. When the fall winds kick in and it's a 50 mph gusts and 10% humidity, it's a tsunami of fire regardless. The Paradise fire was consuming a football field a second. There are thousands of fires in the west every year, these bad one are outliers largely driven by the fall winds. Same with the Oakland fire in 91, and that was a wholly urban area.

The Santa Rosa a year or so ago was largely seasonal native chaparral and oak woodlands, probably more like the Malibu fire. It's not a heavily wooded area. If you looked at the residential neighborhood before and after pics, many of those neighborhoods didn't have a lot of vegetation; the superheated air blowing through ahead of the flames front spontaneously combusted structures. We're not talking areas required to have a 100' feet of clearance around structures, which is useless if wind is blowing embers miles downwind and

I watched firefighters put down a similar flare up at a steep canyon in short order not far from Paradise a summer ago. No wind. Hard work, challenging terrain, they got it done with a modest crew and a helicopter.

Fires create their own furnaces as it is, sucking in air like pinned two stroke. Add the wind and getting out of the way is about all that is left to you.

This was a pretty sobering graphic of how the Paradise fire unfolded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/amp-stories/how-t…
500guy
11/14/2018 4:33pm
Just heart breaking and terrifying too.

Post a reply to: Steve Lamson

The Latest