Steinke in 21st.. 6 min to go..

Bultaco
6/20/2016 6:44am
stewie94 wrote:
lol smh , nice guy , obviously have the talent & skill but this whole thing is just a clown show.... u wana race a 250...
lol smh , nice guy , obviously have the talent & skill but this whole thing is just a clown show.... u wana race a 250 s stroke , go race a 250 2 stroke supported class
kzizok wrote:
He would have to race a 250T first..
jeffro503 wrote:
There always has to be that one guy.....

TailSoHard
6/20/2016 7:13am
I'd like to see Steinke under the factory Husky tent. Then hire a few other mid-pack riders on 125's under the factory Yamaha and KTM tents. You could pay a slower/younger rider a real small salary on a cheap bike finishing mid-pack and i'm sure it would help sell a shit ton of 125s. It's pretty obvious that the fans don't give a flying frick where Steinke finishes, they just want to see him go by wide open every lap and meet him in the pits to say "hell yeah man, kick the shit out of those 4-stroke for me!"

Or just start a privateer 2-stroke-only team. Can you imagine the exposure they'd get? Instant fan favorite, instant sponsor dollars.

And I thought of this the other day too: Not only is Steinke the only two-stroke out there, he's also on the only carbureted bike out there...
Dragoo168
6/20/2016 7:31am
Madmax31 wrote:
What the F Husky/KTM thinking? They have their heads up their a$$. You have a guy willing to ride a 125 in the class, that not...
What the F Husky/KTM thinking? They have their heads up their a$$. You have a guy willing to ride a 125 in the class, that not only shows up, but shows up to race. He passes into 20th against some factory backed riders. More people cheer for him than anyone! You ask 75% of the people at the race who was in 6th to 20th, and they wouldn't have a clue. But they'd know where the Steinkdog guy on the 2 stroke is.

You spent good time and money developing the bike. Take this once in a life time gift and run with it. Give him 4-5 bikes, loan him some factory suspension, give him $5K parts allowance. Help him out, and get some Husky decals on the stuff. It's beyond stupid.
Definitely This ^^^^^^^^^

And for the record, anyone who truly knows how to rail a two-stroke knows that times are comparable. It's just plain ignorant to say that he's wasting his time and should jump on a 4 stroke! On a soft track where torque may pull him to a slightly faster lap time, his results wouldn't be dramatically different, and he wouldn't be gaining the recognition that he is for the brand/team that he rides for. This isn't a 2T vs 4T thing, it's a guy going racing, doing the best he can with what works for him, and it's working out great for him and Eric G. Those guys don't grit it out training, travelling, keeping up their shit, and hammering it out on raceday, all for nothing, and they are putting all their cards on the table just like every other small team.

The Shop

mb
6/20/2016 9:52am
125 scores a point after what, 10 years or more? Might be a sign of things to come...

Great job stank dog!
motoBRD
6/20/2016 10:25am
I've been thinking about why there's no factory support for the 125 bikes. It is especially interesting in this case, where someone is actually choosing to ride one without FULL factory backing, and gaining as much of a following as he has.

I don't think it is as much a no-brainer as some are insisting, to just put him under the team rig as a fully backed rider to rep the 2t. I'm as much a fan as the rest of the 726, and I do watch for him in the ticker, and i was stoked for him to get a point. But tell me this, what does Husky gain by throwing that money at him, that they haven't already gained with him just as a privateer on their bike? They are still getting the exposure without as much of the investment. To me it doesn't make sense, other than to reward him (which I think would be awesome btw).

There's a good number of reasons the factory doesn't pony up. Maybe there's a lesson there to learn from Suzuki and their 250 factory team.
TailSoHard
6/20/2016 11:38am
motoBRD wrote:
I've been thinking about why there's no factory support for the 125 bikes. It is especially interesting in this case, where someone is actually choosing to...
I've been thinking about why there's no factory support for the 125 bikes. It is especially interesting in this case, where someone is actually choosing to ride one without FULL factory backing, and gaining as much of a following as he has.

I don't think it is as much a no-brainer as some are insisting, to just put him under the team rig as a fully backed rider to rep the 2t. I'm as much a fan as the rest of the 726, and I do watch for him in the ticker, and i was stoked for him to get a point. But tell me this, what does Husky gain by throwing that money at him, that they haven't already gained with him just as a privateer on their bike? They are still getting the exposure without as much of the investment. To me it doesn't make sense, other than to reward him (which I think would be awesome btw).

There's a good number of reasons the factory doesn't pony up. Maybe there's a lesson there to learn from Suzuki and their 250 factory team.
I agree. Full factory support would be the ultimate goal, but it probably isn't the best move for them to just dive in right away. I could see some smaller teams adding 125 riders that would garner some interest from the factories and possibly some smaller-scale support, but a full-blown factory 125 is probably a long ways off.

Either way I think it would help them sell bikes, and that's really what it's all about. They'd just have to decide whether it's worth it. Every guy that buys a 125 is going to in turn pass on buying a 250 4t, so it's all going to boil down to their ROI in the long run. A 250 4t is a better way for them to make money, but they have a lesser chance of selling their 250 4t because of all the other manufacturers offering a bike in the same category. Meaning if someone is looking at buying a 125, they have 3 choices; if they want a 250 4t, they have 6 choices. Better odds in selling the 125, better money in selling a 250 4t...

gjbruny
6/20/2016 11:39am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2016 11:43am
motoBRD wrote:
I've been thinking about why there's no factory support for the 125 bikes. It is especially interesting in this case, where someone is actually choosing to...

"They are still getting the exposure without as much of the investment. To me it doesn't make sense, other than to reward him (which I think would be awesome btw)."

KTM/Husky are saying that they still believe in 2 strokes... they are showing that by developing all new 2 strokes.... but it would basically be putting money where their mouth is by sealing the deal with some support for 726. vs. what they are doing now by saying "we believe in them" but with an asterisk next that statement saying "but not quite enough to support a rider."

all new bikes... PLUS... factory support (even if minimal) would be showing the buying customers that they truly believe in furthering 2 strokes. while Stank is gaining a huge following, i don't know that Husky is helping themselves or getting a good following by not helping him. i think that if they did throw him under the tent, even with minimal support, they would do MUCH more for the brand than just letting him do this on his own. jmo
6/20/2016 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2016 12:42pm
TailSoHard wrote:
I'd like to see Steinke under the factory Husky tent. Then hire a few other mid-pack riders on 125's under the factory Yamaha and KTM tents...
I'd like to see Steinke under the factory Husky tent. Then hire a few other mid-pack riders on 125's under the factory Yamaha and KTM tents. You could pay a slower/younger rider a real small salary on a cheap bike finishing mid-pack and i'm sure it would help sell a shit ton of 125s. It's pretty obvious that the fans don't give a flying frick where Steinke finishes, they just want to see him go by wide open every lap and meet him in the pits to say "hell yeah man, kick the shit out of those 4-stroke for me!"

Or just start a privateer 2-stroke-only team. Can you imagine the exposure they'd get? Instant fan favorite, instant sponsor dollars.

And I thought of this the other day too: Not only is Steinke the only two-stroke out there, he's also on the only carbureted bike out there...
Is Steinke selling more 125's than Davalos is selling 250f's? Whistling

Subtract all of the extra cost that goes in to prepping a race ready 250f and you could probably pay him a decent salary and still come out ahead from a marketing standpoint. They're not marketing 125's in America though. Sad
TailSoHard
6/20/2016 1:25pm
Is Steinke selling more 125's than Davalos is selling 250f's? :whistle: Subtract all of the extra cost that goes in to prepping a race ready 250f...
Is Steinke selling more 125's than Davalos is selling 250f's? Whistling

Subtract all of the extra cost that goes in to prepping a race ready 250f and you could probably pay him a decent salary and still come out ahead from a marketing standpoint. They're not marketing 125's in America though. Sad
Well I can't speak to who's selling more bikes, only speculate... but I'm with ya. I don't think it would be all that hard or expensive to add a 125 rider. Especially when you consider the skills gained by learning to ride a 125 in that class. Get a young kid right out of the amateur ranks and chuck him on a 125 for a year or two before giving him a 250 ride and you might have yourself a decent 250 championship threat without the insane cost of giving a rookie teenager a factory 250 ride.

Heck, the AMA should lower the age limit if you're on a 125. But we all know that won't happen lol

And one more thing: "They're not marketing 125's in America though. Sad " ....................................yet Wink
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
6/20/2016 2:39pm
Guys, I love two strokes and watching stankdog ride as much as the next guy but I think it may be a tad delusional to think this is going to start a revolutionary concept of factory supported 125's and rookies starting on two strokes but I hope I'm wrong.
cheers_22
6/20/2016 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2016 3:33pm
Madmax31 wrote:
What the F Husky/KTM thinking? They have their heads up their a$$. You have a guy willing to ride a 125 in the class, that not...
What the F Husky/KTM thinking? They have their heads up their a$$. You have a guy willing to ride a 125 in the class, that not only shows up, but shows up to race. He passes into 20th against some factory backed riders. More people cheer for him than anyone! You ask 75% of the people at the race who was in 6th to 20th, and they wouldn't have a clue. But they'd know where the Steinkdog guy on the 2 stroke is.

You spent good time and money developing the bike. Take this once in a life time gift and run with it. Give him 4-5 bikes, loan him some factory suspension, give him $5K parts allowance. Help him out, and get some Husky decals on the stuff. It's beyond stupid.
Dragoo168 wrote:
Definitely This ^^^^^^^^^ And for the record, anyone who truly knows how to rail a two-stroke knows that times are comparable. It's just plain ignorant to...
Definitely This ^^^^^^^^^

And for the record, anyone who truly knows how to rail a two-stroke knows that times are comparable. It's just plain ignorant to say that he's wasting his time and should jump on a 4 stroke! On a soft track where torque may pull him to a slightly faster lap time, his results wouldn't be dramatically different, and he wouldn't be gaining the recognition that he is for the brand/team that he rides for. This isn't a 2T vs 4T thing, it's a guy going racing, doing the best he can with what works for him, and it's working out great for him and Eric G. Those guys don't grit it out training, travelling, keeping up their shit, and hammering it out on raceday, all for nothing, and they are putting all their cards on the table just like every other small team.
It would be very unfortunate if he makes it through the season without being offered support. Having him under the factory rig on tricked out 125 would be a fantastic marketing decision. Fans would flock to it.

Post a reply to: Steinke in 21st.. 6 min to go..

The Latest