Stefan Everts & Suzuki Resume Forces Again

ocscottie
Edited Date/Time 11/15/2015 7:46am
I know this was mentioned earlier, here is official PR

Stefan Everts & Suzuki Resume Forces Again

Almost a quarter of a century since they were last World Champions together Stefan Everts and Suzuki are once again collaborating to powerful effect as the sport’s most successful Grand Prix rider is now in control of the Suzuki World MXGP team and organisation.

Everts, 42 years old, has assumed the role of Team Principal after reaching an agreement with Geboers Racing Promotions’ Sylvain Geboers and the two Belgians will now steer Suzuki’s factory programme in the FIM MXGP Motocross World Championship with the RM-Z450 as well as the MX2 category and EMX250 European Championship (RM-Z250). Everts will be accompanied in the Lommel-based set-up with assistance from father (and another former Suzuki World Champion) Harry and will not only oversee racing operations involving a skilled and dedicated crew and six riders but also contribute to the development of Suzuki’s RM-Z technology. Everts will heavily promote the Suzuki name at the highest level of the sport and where the team have been championship contenders since the beginning of the century with the RM250 and the RM-Z450 from 2004.

Everts retired in 2006 with his 10th crown and a record 101 Grand Prix victories. He has since marshalled another manufacturer to world championship success, developed key motorcycle models and evolved junior racing talent with notable spoils. He is now ready to ally with Geboers after winning the first of his titles back in 1991 in ‘yellow’.

“It is a very big challenge and a big responsibility…but actually I think I am ready for it,” ‘#72’ commented. “I have the age and the knowledge. I have been retired for nine years and thanks to my former job I was able to build up some experience on the other side of the fence. I feel ready! More HERE
|
sende
Fantasy
4429th
11/13/2015 6:41am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2015 6:49am
That is the coolest picture that I've seen in a while.
I have the "same" bike in my avatar. haha.
jamma10
11/13/2015 7:31am
Those early 90's 125 classes with Everts, Schmit, Strijbos & Tragter on Suzukis were among my favourite ever.

The Shop

jeffro503
11/13/2015 8:26am
This is really cool to see. Do you guys have any idea / suspicion of why he left KTM?
sende
Fantasy
4429th
11/13/2015 8:28am
jamma10 wrote:
Those early 90's 125 classes with Everts, Schmit, Strijbos & Tragter on Suzukis were among my favourite ever.
Same here. Demaria was my favourite 125 rider back then.

BIGRIGGIN
11/13/2015 9:23am
Scottie - what was behind the fallout with Everts and KTM? I missed something.
Coach529
11/13/2015 9:59am
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Posted a question about this yesterday......crickets......
DeStouwer
11/13/2015 10:48am
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Coach529 wrote:
Posted a question about this yesterday......crickets......
Because he didn't like the way things worked at KTM anymore. After they blamed him for Herlings' loss of the world title two years ago (Herlings broke his femur at Everts & Friends charity race), Everts was "downgraded" to working with the EMX-class pilots and Pauls Jonass, wich worked out really well. He was looking for other options and this resulted in a deal with Suzuki. He tried to get Jonass to the yellow guys aswell, but Jonass was happy with KTM and stayed. That's about it.
roninho
11/13/2015 11:23am
jamma10 wrote:
Great Suzuki team.... 1 world champ and 2 future world champs on the 125cc

Unfortunately to much of this for Strijbos.... Could have won multiple titles.

Strijbos, Puzar and Parker Trampas ;-)

11/13/2015 11:26am
sende wrote:
Same here. Demaria was my favourite 125 rider back then. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/11/13/111115/s1200_14229787697_b595a8ea55_b.jpg[/img]
Same here. Demaria was my favourite 125 rider back then.

sende
Fantasy
4429th
11/13/2015 11:29am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2015 12:10pm
I like that model even more. Couldn't find any decent pics of that bike... Thanks for posting.
HenryA
11/13/2015 11:30am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2015 11:31am
So what's the story here?
Did Everts get the boot from Ktm as rumoured or did Suzuki offer him more money?

Edit: Ooops, found the answer in the thread.
11/13/2015 11:31am
sende wrote:
I like that model even more. Couldn't find any decent pics of that bike... Thanks for posting.
Just take a look at my avatar...

Wink
sende
Fantasy
4429th
11/13/2015 11:41am
sende wrote:
Just take a look at my avatar...

Wink
I see... Cool
steed 2.0
11/13/2015 12:39pm
jamma10 wrote:
roninho wrote:
[b]Great Suzuki team.... 1 world champ and 2 future world champs on the 125cc[/b] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/11/13/111160/s1200_suzukiteam.jpg[/img] Unfortunately to much of this for Strijbos.... Could have won multiple...
Great Suzuki team.... 1 world champ and 2 future world champs on the 125cc

Unfortunately to much of this for Strijbos.... Could have won multiple titles.

Strijbos, Puzar and Parker Trampas ;-)

"Bieffe Suzuki factory team which took part in the 125 Motocross World Championship. Dave Strijbos, Pedro Tragter, Donny Schmidt and Stefan Everts were some of the riders who rode for Mr Luongo’s team, and it was already in 1991
that it won it’s first 125 World Championship Title with Scmidt. The year after the very young Everts claimed his first ever world title wearing the colours of Bieffe Suzuki team"

P.S. It is maybe not the most well-known fact among the general public,
Strijbos was never the same after suffering a serious injury damaged his spleen during practice in Amsterdam
Julian
11/13/2015 1:19pm
herlings or any rider can break their legs anywhere anytime, you can't keep a rider from riding a motorcycle, it is what they do and what they must do to keep sharp, how could ktm be in such a vacuum and not know this,,,,, and actually blame stefan for "breaking herlings leg" ?

and why has there been a complete media black out around this whole story ?
Grizz
11/13/2015 2:08pm
Julian wrote:
herlings or any rider can break their legs anywhere anytime, you can't keep a rider from riding a motorcycle, it is what they do and what...
herlings or any rider can break their legs anywhere anytime, you can't keep a rider from riding a motorcycle, it is what they do and what they must do to keep sharp, how could ktm be in such a vacuum and not know this,,,,, and actually blame stefan for "breaking herlings leg" ?

Herlings was riding an 85 and it could be argued that it was unnecessary and not beneficial to his championship run.
DeStouwer
11/13/2015 3:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2015 3:04pm
Julian wrote:
herlings or any rider can break their legs anywhere anytime, you can't keep a rider from riding a motorcycle, it is what they do and what...

Grizz wrote:
Herlings was riding an 85 and it could be argued that it was unnecessary and not beneficial to his championship run.
Everts advised Herlings early in the season to sit out the Brazilian GP due to a minor shoulder injury, as they both believed Herlings would still win the title easily. Herlings actually wanted to race, Everts told him not to. If he had raced, he would've been champion as he lost the title with 4 points to Tixier, who also left KTM for Kawasaki.
roninho
11/13/2015 3:22pm
DeStouwer wrote:
Everts advised Herlings early in the season to sit out the Brazilian GP due to a minor shoulder injury, as they both believed Herlings would still...
Everts advised Herlings early in the season to sit out the Brazilian GP due to a minor shoulder injury, as they both believed Herlings would still win the title easily. Herlings actually wanted to race, Everts told him not to. If he had raced, he would've been champion as he lost the title with 4 points to Tixier, who also left KTM for Kawasaki.
Unless Herlings would actually have aggravated the injury by riding.
11/13/2015 4:32pm
DeStouwer wrote:
Everts advised Herlings early in the season to sit out the Brazilian GP due to a minor shoulder injury, as they both believed Herlings would still...
It's not as simple as "he would have been champion if he'd gone to Brazil", it doesn't work like that. It's known as "The Butterfly Effect". Any number of things could have happened if he had gone out to Brazil and even if he had gone out there and scored points he would then be living a completely different version of the future in which he may have got injured earlier or scored less points or whatever.
mx836
11/13/2015 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2015 4:43pm
It's not as simple as "he would have been champion if he'd gone to Brazil", it doesn't work like that. It's known as "The Butterfly Effect"...
It's not as simple as "he would have been champion if he'd gone to Brazil", it doesn't work like that. It's known as "The Butterfly Effect". Any number of things could have happened if he had gone out to Brazil and even if he had gone out there and scored points he would then be living a completely different version of the future in which he may have got injured earlier or scored less points or whatever.
Exactly! Every decision could change the rest of your life!
downard254
11/14/2015 4:47am
I've always thought Everts was like a younger version of DeCoster. He's a very smart guy.
philG
11/14/2015 5:21am
downard254 wrote:
I've always thought Everts was like a younger version of DeCoster. He's a very smart guy.
I dont know how you can think that .

When Everts went to KTM after his Yamaha World title, everyone was shocked, and assumed that he would be the next 'Man'... that was almost 10 years ago , and since then his career seems to have gone sideways and down

This is the link to the announcement http://www.crash.net/moto-x/news/83730/1/ktm-welcomes-everts.html

Bearing in mind that Everts father Harry already had a hand in the KTM youth academy , the slide to the position of rider development strikes me as lack of faith . Kinigadner, Beirer and Pierer have developed KTM, they hired Decoster at a time when you thought maybe Everts would be the man to put in place in the US, but they didnt .

I have heard of fallings out with riders along the way , the Herlings injury thing being the most high profile , but my underlying feeling is that he is buying his way into Suzuki so Sylvain Geboers can hang it up, and Eric Geboers doesnt want to do it on his own.

I may be wrong, but by now i would have thought he would be in a job like this with 5 years under his belt.
Robgvx
11/14/2015 6:57am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2015 6:57am
KTM likes Herlings. Herlings no likey Everts. Allegedly.

There's your answer.

Post a reply to: Stefan Everts & Suzuki Resume Forces Again

The Latest