Steering stabilizer on '16 KTM

swatdoc
Edited Date/Time 7/18/2018 4:29pm
Just recently got my '16 350. I wanted to run a Honda stabilizer like the Factory bikes, but hit a snag because I also wanna run the Neken SFS clamps.
The nifty bolt-on adapter that Ride Eng makes won't work with the Neken clamps - it interferes with the air canisters. So the solution was to weld on a fitting like the Factory does. After some careful measuring, I ordered a 3/4" diameter piece of 4130 chromoly, then took it to a local machine shop to have it the fitting machined. After that I had a friend of a friend TIG weld it in place.
Came out nice. Gonna drop the frame off at the powdercoater this week for some RAL2009

|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/11/2015 2:03pm
That's rad! I'm thinking about doing this and weld on skid plate mounts this winter. Post some photos when your done!
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
10/11/2015 2:46pm
Why not run a Scott's damper?
j368
10/11/2015 2:55pm
FYI have it revalved by FC or whoever you want, then it'll work like Honda intended. Without a revalve you won't hardly notice it.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/11/2015 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2015 2:58pm
I went through this issue, but went with just the clamps.

If you haven't already bought the NEKEN SFS Air clamps, I have a set for sale for the '16 KTM's. The lower clamp/ stem has never been mounted and the Top clamp has approx 5 hrs on it. Not a scratch on it, as NEW.

$800.00 SHIPPED to the lower 48 states.

Can email pics Langhammx@sbcglobal.net

The Shop

swatdoc
10/11/2015 3:17pm
Have clamps already.
I will look into a revalve.
Just not a fan of the Scotts setup. I like a more stealth unit that's not so big and bulky and again, I don't think the Scotts would work with the Neken clamps anyway

Helder
10/11/2015 3:47pm
That's a question I have, can you run the Scotts steering damper set up with the Neiken clamps?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/11/2015 3:48pm
j368 wrote:
FYI have it revalved by FC or whoever you want, then it'll work like Honda intended. Without a revalve you won't hardly notice it.
Actually, Honda never intended it to be used as a high-speed stabilization damper. It's valved lightly because it's just meant to keep the front end tracking through ruts and corners without bouncing around as easily, allowing for a more planted feel.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
10/11/2015 3:51pm
To each their own, but just as an FYI the Scott's can be run with any triple clamps. The post mounts to the frame around the steering stem. The damper mounts to the handle bar clamps
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/11/2015 3:55pm
colintrax wrote:
To each their own, but just as an FYI the Scott's can be run with any triple clamps. The post mounts to the frame around the...
To each their own, but just as an FYI the Scott's can be run with any triple clamps. The post mounts to the frame around the steering stem. The damper mounts to the handle bar clamps
The bar mounts on the SFS triple clamps are very unique in the fact that they are mounted to air shocks. Meaning the bar mounts are moving up and down, which would mean the damper would be moving with them as well. Also, they have a unique width so Scott's would have to have a different top clamp to work with them.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
10/11/2015 4:03pm
colintrax wrote:
To each their own, but just as an FYI the Scott's can be run with any triple clamps. The post mounts to the frame around the...
ML512 wrote:
The bar mounts on the SFS triple clamps are very unique in the fact that they are mounted to air shocks. Meaning the bar mounts are...
The bar mounts on the SFS triple clamps are very unique in the fact that they are mounted to air shocks. Meaning the bar mounts are moving up and down, which would mean the damper would be moving with them as well. Also, they have a unique width so Scott's would have to have a different top clamp to work with them.
The Scott's can move up and down on its pin, although I'm not sure it can move enough. I'd have to measure.
I didn't know they used an unstandard width though. Wouldn't be hard to drill and tap holes in the SFS clamps, so long as they reach across?
Not trying to say Scotts, or the other rotary types are the best. They certainly have some downfalls lol but after riding a muddy, rocky track like today. I wouldn't put anything else on my bike
j368
10/11/2015 4:42pm
j368 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Actually, Honda never intended it to be used as a high-speed stabilization damper. It's valved lightly because it's just meant to keep the front end tracking...
Actually, Honda never intended it to be used as a high-speed stabilization damper. It's valved lightly because it's just meant to keep the front end tracking through ruts and corners without bouncing around as easily, allowing for a more planted feel.
IMO with the revalve it's way better in the ruts, as well as feeling more planted. Much more stable thru whoops too. Best $100 I've spent.
swatdoc
10/11/2015 5:33pm
Any special instructions to FC on the revalve, or is it just a standard thing?
j368
10/11/2015 5:38pm
It's a standard thing. They valve it as stiff as they can get it as standard valving. I've got mine set at 3 clicks out from full stiff. You'll like it a lot with the revalve.
10/11/2015 7:24pm
I want to run the same setup that dungey uses on my ktm 450 factory edition 2015. What parts do I need to make it exactly how he runs it? Does anybody have a picture of how ryan dungey setup is ? Would really appreciate it!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/11/2015 7:29pm
I want to run the same setup that dungey uses on my ktm 450 factory edition 2015. What parts do I need to make it exactly...
I want to run the same setup that dungey uses on my ktm 450 factory edition 2015. What parts do I need to make it exactly how he runs it? Does anybody have a picture of how ryan dungey setup is ? Would really appreciate it!
I guess it took me longer than it should've, but I'm 99% sure that you are a TROLL.
10/11/2015 7:42pm
Nobody has offered me the amount I want for my bike so I'm keeping it. That simple
EcoSX478
10/11/2015 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2015 8:12pm
Thanks for the post swatdoc. I'll be getting a Honda dampener this winter to put on my 16 450. I am torn though on which tripple clamps to get. I would like the SFS clamps for obvious reasons but I'm also considering some Xtrig clamps due to their ability to adjust your offset with that one set of clamps. Which comes in handy if your someone who rides mx and sx/ax tracks.

Does anyone have feedback on how the Xtrig's PHDS works?
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/11/2015 8:50pm
EcoSX478 wrote:
Thanks for the post swatdoc. I'll be getting a Honda dampener this winter to put on my 16 450. I am torn though on which tripple...
Thanks for the post swatdoc. I'll be getting a Honda dampener this winter to put on my 16 450. I am torn though on which tripple clamps to get. I would like the SFS clamps for obvious reasons but I'm also considering some Xtrig clamps due to their ability to adjust your offset with that one set of clamps. Which comes in handy if your someone who rides mx and sx/ax tracks.

Just curious, what offset would you want for SX vs. MX ? I'm pretty sure that most pros are using the same offset for both, unless I'm that far out of the loop....

I started with the X-Trig bar mounts. I actually run the Faastco Flexx bars on my off road bike, but wouldn't put them on a MX bike. The X-Trig bar mounts helped with vibration and possible with taking the edge off of the square edge bumps. But they really can't b compared against the SFS clamps.
EcoSX478
10/11/2015 9:18pm
EcoSX478 wrote:
Thanks for the post swatdoc. I'll be getting a Honda dampener this winter to put on my 16 450. I am torn though on which tripple...

langhammx wrote:
Just curious, what offset would you want for SX vs. MX ? I'm pretty sure that most pros are using the same offset for both, unless...
Just curious, what offset would you want for SX vs. MX ? I'm pretty sure that most pros are using the same offset for both, unless I'm that far out of the loop....

I started with the X-Trig bar mounts. I actually run the Faastco Flexx bars on my off road bike, but wouldn't put them on a MX bike. The X-Trig bar mounts helped with vibration and possible with taking the edge off of the square edge bumps. But they really can't b compared against the SFS clamps.
For the pros it's different from rider to rider. I could see some pros not changing offsets from mx to sx but for arena cross it may be useful to at least have the option to try different offsets without having to have multiple triple clamps.

As for the xtrig bar mount dampening vs the SFS clamps. I kinda figured it's not even comparable but I wanted to ask just in case. Thanks for the feedback.
resetjet
10/12/2015 5:43am
ML512 wrote:
Actually, Honda never intended it to be used as a high-speed stabilization damper. It's valved lightly because it's just meant to keep the front end tracking...
Ok, that sheds some light. I could never see how the honda one could work as good as a scotts, due to the physics of it, but I guess its not intended to.
gpracer36
10/12/2015 8:12am
I run X-Trig clamps on my Honda. Very nice with a option to go to another off-set. As far as the stock Honda stablizer, I ran them on my previous KTM's. I would NOT send it to FC. You will spend $100 on a couple shims. What I did was purchase the Race Tech Kit. It comes with a gold valve piston, all the shims and a set up sheet to valve it perfect for your riding. It is about the same price as sending it out.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/12/2015 9:59am
I want to run the same setup that dungey uses on my ktm 450 factory edition 2015. What parts do I need to make it exactly...
Buy a set of 52mm WP Cone Valve forks and a WP Traxx shock (you can't get the latest bladder based Traxx shocks for the 15FE and 16 chassis yet) Roughly $6,000

Send the engine off to KTM Factory Services (not even sure if they're doing public engines still).

You can't buy their titanium subframe.

$1800 Kite/DID wheelset.

$5,000+ in titanium hardware.

Can't buy the Red Bull graphics.

This is just scratching the surface of what you'd need.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/12/2015 10:00am
Nobody has offered me the amount I want for my bike so I'm keeping it. That simple
That's because no one in their right mind would pay over $12,000 when you can buy the newer model for around $9,000. Blink
gpracer36
10/12/2015 10:59am
ML512 wrote:
Buy a set of 52mm WP Cone Valve forks and a WP Traxx shock (you can't get the latest bladder based Traxx shocks for the 15FE...
Buy a set of 52mm WP Cone Valve forks and a WP Traxx shock (you can't get the latest bladder based Traxx shocks for the 15FE and 16 chassis yet) Roughly $6,000

Send the engine off to KTM Factory Services (not even sure if they're doing public engines still).

You can't buy their titanium subframe.

$1800 Kite/DID wheelset.

$5,000+ in titanium hardware.

Can't buy the Red Bull graphics.

This is just scratching the surface of what you'd need.
just curious, have you had the chance to ride any of the new KTM's with the latest WP cone valve forks? What did you think? Does Enzo valve them?

thanks
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/12/2015 12:09pm
gpracer36 wrote:
just curious, have you had the chance to ride any of the new KTM's with the latest WP cone valve forks? What did you think? Does...
just curious, have you had the chance to ride any of the new KTM's with the latest WP cone valve forks? What did you think? Does Enzo valve them?

thanks
Actually going to try out the newest stuff next week. On a KTM, Husqvarna, and a Kawasaki.
gpracer36
10/12/2015 1:26pm
gpracer36 wrote:
just curious, have you had the chance to ride any of the new KTM's with the latest WP cone valve forks? What did you think? Does...

thanks
ML512 wrote:
Actually going to try out the newest stuff next week. On a KTM, Husqvarna, and a Kawasaki.
cool, will you do a write up on it? seems to be a lot of talk on vital about the cone valve forks on the KTM. Would love to read a full test!
mmcmx
10/12/2015 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2015 3:12pm
ML512 wrote:
Cool, I'm very interested in what you think about the '16 kawi on WP compared to the KYB and showa kits. Specially the shock!
ride71
4/4/2016 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2016 12:23pm
swatdoc wrote:
Just recently got my '16 350. I wanted to run a Honda stabilizer like the Factory bikes, but hit a snag because I also wanna run...
Just recently got my '16 350. I wanted to run a Honda stabilizer like the Factory bikes, but hit a snag because I also wanna run the Neken SFS clamps.
The nifty bolt-on adapter that Ride Eng makes won't work with the Neken clamps - it interferes with the air canisters. So the solution was to weld on a fitting like the Factory does. After some careful measuring, I ordered a 3/4" diameter piece of 4130 chromoly, then took it to a local machine shop to have it the fitting machined. After that I had a friend of a friend TIG weld it in place.
Came out nice. Gonna drop the frame off at the powdercoater this week for some RAL2009

i called Ride Engineering and they offered some helpful advice...they sell the lower mounting bracket and said to mount the Honda steering dampener to lower bracket then measure up 90mm (center to center) and weld the machined top mount. What is the length of the 3/4 top mount you had welded on? Also do you have any pics of the finished project (front and side views)?
kkawboy14
4/4/2016 2:10pm
Why not just tighten the triple clamps a little bit. That's what me and I guarantee what hillbilly does!

Post a reply to: Steering stabilizer on '16 KTM

The Latest