Steering stabilizer

abzilla22
Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 5:50pm
I have protaper flex bars but I really need a steering stabilizer. Can you mount one with these bars? I’ve seen the small ride engineering option that mounts behind the number plate but I don’t know if it’s as good as the scotts stabilizer.

Any suggestions?
|
LungButter
9/4/2018 6:24pm
Lots of options out there to mount them below the bars.

I believe ohlins makes a good one.
slothy
9/4/2018 6:25pm
i ride woods and use the honda (ride engineering) damper and happy with it, im told race tech valve makes it even better
abzilla22
9/4/2018 6:26pm
slothy wrote:
i ride woods and use the honda (ride engineering) damper and happy with it, im told race tech valve makes it even better
Was it easy to mount the Honda one? I’ve seen it, but not entirely sure how it works.
slothy
9/4/2018 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2018 6:32pm
slothy wrote:
abzilla22 wrote:
Was it easy to mount the Honda one? I’ve seen it, but not entirely sure how it works.
Yes, pop off top clamp - install bracket that clamps around neck, toss top clamp back on - install lower bracket, install damper - put on number plate back on.

The Shop

krocbike
9/4/2018 6:33pm
I've got a Scotts sub mount on my 350, ride mostly woods some track. Its expensive, but it's worth it. Its saved mu butt more than once.
AJ565
9/5/2018 6:23am
First off what are you wanting one for?

The Honda one isn't so much a stabilizer as it is a damper. It does nothing for you if you are having head shake or riding woods and tree roots are yanking the bars from you. It only helps in the corners to help keep the bike tracking in the rut without climbing out.
JAFO92
9/5/2018 7:32am
Almost 20 years with this life saver right up front and center - - never had any issues.

hoova
9/5/2018 9:20am
Had a Scott's steering stabilizer a few years ago and took it off. I felt it was good in whoops, straights and hitting Rocks, roots and chop but bad on tight trails and in corners
ama530
9/5/2018 10:17am
Here is a pic of the Ohlins damper I have on my Husky 350. Under bar mount so no worry of smashing your chest on the damper housing if you get out of shape or case something. You can use the stock bar pad also.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
9/5/2018 10:28am
hoova wrote:
Had a Scott's steering stabilizer a few years ago and took it off. I felt it was good in whoops, straights and hitting Rocks, roots and...
Had a Scott's steering stabilizer a few years ago and took it off. I felt it was good in whoops, straights and hitting Rocks, roots and chop but bad on tight trails and in corners
Did you adjust it all? They have adjustable sweep, low speed compression, and high speed compression. Enough fiddling you ought to get it feeling good in corners.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
9/5/2018 12:58pm
ama530 wrote:
Here is a pic of the Ohlins damper I have on my Husky 350. Under bar mount so no worry of smashing your chest on the...
Here is a pic of the Ohlins damper I have on my Husky 350. Under bar mount so no worry of smashing your chest on the damper housing if you get out of shape or case something. You can use the stock bar pad also.
Did you have to drill and tap your top clamp to run that Ohlins dampener ? I bought one for my KTM 500 and had just bought a new set of Xtrig clamps and wasn’t about to drill and tap holes on my new clamps. Lol
But other than that, I think that it is the nicest designed dampener on the market. It really stays tucked away and doesn’t mess with the car height.

Ohlins originally designed the Scotts dampener and as soon as their patent expired, they started building their own. I haven’t used one, but I’ve owned several Scott’s dampeners and always been happy with them. Although I’ve never run one on a MX track.
I just installed one of the Showa dampeners and a ride engineering mount, onto my ‘18 SX 150, but I haven’t done much fiddling with it yet. It has the Race Tech Gold Valve installed.
FWYT
9/5/2018 2:06pm
abzilla22 wrote:
I have protaper flex bars but I really need a steering stabilizer. Can you mount one with these bars? I’ve seen the small ride engineering option...
I have protaper flex bars but I really need a steering stabilizer. Can you mount one with these bars? I’ve seen the small ride engineering option that mounts behind the number plate but I don’t know if it’s as good as the scotts stabilizer.

Any suggestions?
I have the Showa units on my bikes and love them. I change the fluid to something heavier and they give just enough
damping to get rid of little annoying head shakes. For serious high speed stuff, I'd go with a proper Scotts unit, though.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
9/7/2018 8:15pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 9:55pm
I love my Showa unit... Motovate racing in Rifle Colorado did a off road re valve and Racetech gold valve for mine, it’s on my second bike and will be going on my third,forth, etc.
With a re valve/heavy fluid will help with head shake for sure, like a Scott’s no!
I did three rides with out mine, my arm pump was so so bad, it’s crazy how it settles the bars so you don’t death grip the bars.
Going in to and exiting turns with so much more confidence when it’s beat out is a added bonus.
Like the Scott steering stabilizer clut following, if you run one you are such a believer. The same way with the Showa IMO.
We had to go a lil extra special on my install since I was running the SFS Neken triple clamps
ama530
9/8/2018 3:33pm
ama530 wrote:
Here is a pic of the Ohlins damper I have on my Husky 350. Under bar mount so no worry of smashing your chest on the...
langhammx wrote:
Did you have to drill and tap your top clamp to run that Ohlins dampener ? I bought one for my KTM 500 and had just...
Did you have to drill and tap your top clamp to run that Ohlins dampener ? I bought one for my KTM 500 and had just bought a new set of Xtrig clamps and wasn’t about to drill and tap holes on my new clamps. Lol
But other than that, I think that it is the nicest designed dampener on the market. It really stays tucked away and doesn’t mess with the car height.

Ohlins originally designed the Scotts dampener and as soon as their patent expired, they started building their own. I haven’t used one, but I’ve owned several Scott’s dampeners and always been happy with them. Although I’ve never run one on a MX track.
I just installed one of the Showa dampeners and a ride engineering mount, onto my ‘18 SX 150, but I haven’t done much fiddling with it yet. It has the Race Tech Gold Valve installed.
Yes, I did drill and tap a hole in the top triple clamp. Not a big deal. I also made an aluminum bracket to relocate the hour meter.

drenmaster
Fantasy
1244th
9/9/2018 2:31am
I've used both gpr and ohlins. I prefer the ohlins becuase it mounts directly to the top clamp and basicly becomes the top nut on the stem. You can keep you normal bar mounts. Gpr uses its own bracket which incorporates bar mounts and raises the bars just a little bit.

I also like the way the ohlins mounts to the frame becoming part of the race it self.

But honestly both products are fantastic for what they do. I say what ever u can get a better deal on go for it.
Tonynz
9/9/2018 5:50pm
I have had an Ohlins steering damper my 3 previous bikes, 11-450, 13-300sx and 16-350 SXF. I have just bought a 19-350SXF, reading this post just realised it won’t fit because top clamps have changed and will have to drill and tap a hole.
What year did the change the clamps?

Post a reply to: Steering stabilizer

The Latest