Steering Stabilizer in the sand?

Ted722
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2015 8:41pm
Any thoughts on running a steering stabilizer in the sand? I've had good experience with running a steering stabilizer (Scott's) for off-road (for obvious reasons), but it's been hit or miss on the MX track. Tried it on my RM250 for the MX track and didn't like it. My '01 CR500 loves it for the MX track.

So I already know I like the stabilizer on the 500 for intermediate/mixed terrain MX, but I'm a little stumped on running it on a sand MX track. I'm asking cause I don't have a whole lot of time to test between now and some of the upcoming Sand venues in the next few months on our calendar.

Thanks!
|
Olson
1/15/2015 6:28am
Depends on the bike and the type of sand. A bike that turns easy like Suzuki and Honda maybe yes. On a Kawi or KTM no. A very dry and loose sand where it's hard to get traction and keep the front end up it helps. I haven't tried a bike with the Scott/Öhlins stabilizer in years. When I did I only liked it on hard pack where you get plenty of long ruts and square braking bumps. I've ridden the never Hondas with the OEM stabilizer in sand and I liked it. Still not as stable as the Kawi and KTM straight forward.
Titan1
1/15/2015 6:36am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2015 8:31am
Once you get used to a stabilizer you can ride it anywhere...taking one on then off and back on...or riding with one on one bike and not on another...that is what would make it difficult, since they take some time to get used too.

But if you ride with one all time, you will like it in any and all conditions. Especially since they all have adjustments for exactly how much you want them stabilize.

Sand is one of the places a stabilizer is most beneficial in my opinion....
Ted722
1/15/2015 7:07am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2015 7:11am
Titan1 wrote:
Once you get used to a stabilizer you can ride it anywhere...taking one on then off and back on...or riding with one on one bike and...
Once you get used to a stabilizer you can ride it anywhere...taking one on then off and back on...or riding with one on one bike and not on another...that is what would make it difficult, since they take some time to get used too.

But if you ride with one all time, you will like it in any and all conditions. Especially since they all have adjustments for exactly how much you want them stabilize.

Sand is one of the places a stabilizer is most beneficial in my opinion....
That's good input. I don't know "every" feature on the Scott's, but I do know that it damps back to center. Think I have the sweep at 33% (I'll have to check" and about 14 out on the clicker. That setting under the black cover is standard (whatever that is).

I've heard that the more you back off the clicker/tension, the more the stabilizer damps back to center. So I agree, somewhere in there is a nice setting for Intermediate terrain and another setting for Sand. Don't think it's just one-setting fits all.

Time to make a call to Scott's, but keep sending these great replies. Thx.

FullThrottle
1/15/2015 7:34am
Wouldn't ride desert without one! If you're ever in the socal area the scotts store is pretty cool.

The Shop

raddad
1/15/2015 8:00am
I have used a scotts since 06 on every MX bike I've owned including my current 2013 FE350. it takes time to adjust for each application so the steering does not feel heavy but it works great in all conditions especially fast rough downhills like millville and pure deep sand tracks like Grantsburg wi. I move my stabilizer from bike to bike and just buy new sub-mounts!

I have mounts for an 06 450 honda, an 09 yamaha 450 and a 2012 RMZ450 that I would sell if anyone is interested.
gpracer36
1/15/2015 8:54am
i run a gpr on my honda at all times, I take the stock one off. Love it for moto or dez
Ted722
1/15/2015 10:10am
Check that, I'm pretty sure it DOESN'T damp back to center. Regardless, I'll have some Scott's recommended changes shortly. If I like 14 out and 33% sweep on mixed terrain, curious what they'll say for sand. Deep sand. I do know that's it's going to stay on the '01 CR500 at all times.

Thanks guys.
Titan1
1/15/2015 10:49am
Ted722 wrote:
Check that, I'm pretty sure it DOESN'T damp back to center. Regardless, I'll have some Scott's recommended changes shortly. If I like 14 out and 33%...
Check that, I'm pretty sure it DOESN'T damp back to center. Regardless, I'll have some Scott's recommended changes shortly. If I like 14 out and 33% sweep on mixed terrain, curious what they'll say for sand. Deep sand. I do know that's it's going to stay on the '01 CR500 at all times.

Thanks guys.
I was just about to reply that I didn't think Scotts dampened back to center (but I wasn't sure, so I was hesitant, then I saw this reply...I've never owned a Scotts...I run GPR).

I rode a bike without a stabilizer last weekend, and felt like a total goon...when you use a stabilizer, you take for granted just how much they do.

The Rock
1/15/2015 11:47am
Got one in 88 after my first race at Carlsbad on my 88 CR500. Transferred to my 95 CR250 and raced with it through 2000 and ultimately gave it to a friend. I had the older unit that Scott's doesn't support any longer.
TX24
1/15/2015 2:35pm
The main reason I have mine is for in the sand.
Ted722
1/16/2015 1:20pm
I talked to the Scott's rep about just this topic. He runs one on his 250 2-stroke and he says normally 2-stroke riders like to run their settings a little looser, we compared settings of what we like and we're almost exactly equal (as above).

In general, 500 2-stroke riders like the stabilizer a little stiffer (turned in a little more on the large dial on top...low speed...like a rear shock). So, it sounds like there aren't any caveats (and a big plus) about running a stabilizer in the sand. It's possible I won't need to touch it all, maybe a few clicks in and that's it!!
jevyguy
1/16/2015 1:28pm
TX24 wrote:
The main reason I have mine is for in the sand.
I agree. I am of the opinion that a stabilizer in the sand is a must... It will only make it easier.
Titan1
1/16/2015 1:42pm
Once I found a setting I liked, I've never moved it...the only time since then I've ever adjusted it, mid-ride, was at the end of a 105 mile NHHA, in the sand...and I was so dang tired I turned that thing all the way hard and just hung on. I credit the stabilizer with me winning the vet B class at that race (well even for just finishing it). lol

Though if I were to get on a moto track, I'd probably dial it back a bit...but I don't ever ride moto.
Ted722
1/26/2015 7:01pm
Titan1 wrote:
Once I found a setting I liked, I've never moved it...the only time since then I've ever adjusted it, mid-ride, was at the end of a...
Once I found a setting I liked, I've never moved it...the only time since then I've ever adjusted it, mid-ride, was at the end of a 105 mile NHHA, in the sand...and I was so dang tired I turned that thing all the way hard and just hung on. I credit the stabilizer with me winning the vet B class at that race (well even for just finishing it). lol

Though if I were to get on a moto track, I'd probably dial it back a bit...but I don't ever ride moto.
Well, I went back to the RM250 to try it again and low and behold it was awesome. I've only had the 500 a couple years and really worked to find a setting that I liked because I knew with all that horsepower a stabilizer would be a must (for my type of riding)

Same exact settings as on the CR500, didn't touch anything. Yes it's fairly backed out on low speed and high speed with a 44% sweep (I was wrong in the previous post).

So as it stands now, I won't ride without it on either bike and that's saying something. Thanks again guys!
ktmdan
1/26/2015 8:41pm
Titan1 wrote:
Once I found a setting I liked, I've never moved it...the only time since then I've ever adjusted it, mid-ride, was at the end of a...

Funny, I always turned mine all the way soft when I got tired at the end of a race. It allowed me to save energy in not having to fight the bars in developed ruts.

Post a reply to: Steering Stabilizer in the sand?

The Latest