Steel City Track Prep

DC
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 6:51pm
If you were sitting at home watching Steel City, it probably looked pretty dry at the end of the day, and in some parts very hard-pack and slick. That's what happens sometimes when you get as much rain as the area did on Thursday, when it dumped all afternoon. So in order to make the track race-worthy, they had to push a lot of mud off on Friday and Saturday morning. Where do they put? Out in the water truck lanes.

Then it got hot. Incredibly hot. Hotter than Texas. So then the track dries out, much faster than the piles of mud off to the side. And when the water trucks are dispatched, they started getting stuck. It made watering later in the day a real challenge.

The Steel City track crew consisted of Jeff Russell of High Point and Loretta Lynn's, Marc Peters of Petersbuilt -- arguably the best track architect in the business -- Sam Gammon of Victory Sports, and the whole rest of the MX Sports crew. You couldn't assemble a better crew in motocross.

But in the end, when the sun is baking, you have to make the decision whether to either push all the heavy mud back out on the track, or just manage it as best as you can. We chose the latter. The people at the track and in the pits all told me we chose well (though Chad Reed was not a fan of the prep and mud from early in the day) and we saw some pretty exciting racing, as well as some runaways. It's the nature of the business.

Given how it looked Friday morning and how it turned out on Saturday, when a very big crowd enjoyed a long, hot day of racing, I thought it was a good job in unusual circumstances at Steel City.

DC
MX Sports
|
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
9/4/2011 7:51am
Crazy weather. What can you do. . .
Clutchy
9/4/2011 7:54am
Thats just a rumor. We want facts.
bents
Fantasy
909th
9/4/2011 7:55am
The racing was great DC, and MX is about weather and track conditions. Last week end at Southwick it was extreme in one way on a completely different terrain, and Dungey was able to pull away from RV in the first moto. This past week end, RV did the same to RD. What more can you ask for? And the 250 class was great racing too. I don't think anyone doubts the work that goes into making each track on each week end the best possible. It has been awesome DC. Thanks.
ODB
9/4/2011 8:00am
nothing wrong with slowing down the field thats what suspension is for and it just paves the way for tractio control in the outdoors

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/4/2011 8:04am
I like seeing some varied conditions. It challenges the riders and crews.

If you check out the One Lap video from Friday (http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/member/Untitled,4212/GuyB,64), you can see that the track was a bit of a mess following rain on Wednesday and Thursday. It certainly could have been a whole lot worse.
Hut
9/4/2011 8:13am
I agree with everyone else about the varied conditions being a good thing. You work hard to make things perfect but Mother Nature has her say and that's part of what makes mx so great.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/4/2011 9:47am
DC wrote:
If you were sitting at home watching Steel City, it probably looked pretty dry at the end of the day, and in some parts very hard-pack...
If you were sitting at home watching Steel City, it probably looked pretty dry at the end of the day, and in some parts very hard-pack and slick. That's what happens sometimes when you get as much rain as the area did on Thursday, when it dumped all afternoon. So in order to make the track race-worthy, they had to push a lot of mud off on Friday and Saturday morning. Where do they put? Out in the water truck lanes.

Then it got hot. Incredibly hot. Hotter than Texas. So then the track dries out, much faster than the piles of mud off to the side. And when the water trucks are dispatched, they started getting stuck. It made watering later in the day a real challenge.

The Steel City track crew consisted of Jeff Russell of High Point and Loretta Lynn's, Marc Peters of Petersbuilt -- arguably the best track architect in the business -- Sam Gammon of Victory Sports, and the whole rest of the MX Sports crew. You couldn't assemble a better crew in motocross.

But in the end, when the sun is baking, you have to make the decision whether to either push all the heavy mud back out on the track, or just manage it as best as you can. We chose the latter. The people at the track and in the pits all told me we chose well (though Chad Reed was not a fan of the prep and mud from early in the day) and we saw some pretty exciting racing, as well as some runaways. It's the nature of the business.

Given how it looked Friday morning and how it turned out on Saturday, when a very big crowd enjoyed a long, hot day of racing, I thought it was a good job in unusual circumstances at Steel City.

DC
MX Sports
That's what we call Motocross. The track didn't look bad on TV to me. Some riders said it was kind of 1-lined but it looked like they were finding lots of lines to me. Seemed to be a lot of outside lines used trying to find some soft cushion to dig into. Better than when everyone plays follow the leader just hogging inside ruts.
moto138
9/4/2011 10:11am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2011 10:19am
I was there and saw for myself the water truck get stuck trying to water the start straight. For a moment,I thought he was going to flood the bottom left side of the gates before he got the water shut off. I can attest to what DC said ,it wasn't Africa hot,but it was Texas hot for sure; humidity was way up there also. Lots of good battles on the track going on all day.
DC,on a side note. I have noticed this year that there doesn't seem to be as many porta john's at the races. Am i imaging this,of have they been cut back for some reason? I am speaking specifically in the pro pits and the industry confort zone areas. I remember at high point they were 2 inside the comfort zone area and none at steel city. I believe they were a couple inside the zone at southwick also?
SCYRacing
9/4/2011 10:24am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2011 10:25am
moto138 wrote:
I was there and saw for myself the water truck get stuck trying to water the start straight. For a moment,I thought he was going to...
I was there and saw for myself the water truck get stuck trying to water the start straight. For a moment,I thought he was going to flood the bottom left side of the gates before he got the water shut off. I can attest to what DC said ,it wasn't Africa hot,but it was Texas hot for sure; humidity was way up there also. Lots of good battles on the track going on all day.
DC,on a side note. I have noticed this year that there doesn't seem to be as many porta john's at the races. Am i imaging this,of have they been cut back for some reason? I am speaking specifically in the pro pits and the industry confort zone areas. I remember at high point they were 2 inside the comfort zone area and none at steel city. I believe they were a couple inside the zone at southwick also?
x2. Plenty of battles going on.
As far as porta jons,I didn't notice.It was so damn hot I only needed one three times all day,sweatin' it out,I guessBlink
WhKnuckle
9/4/2011 10:48am
Man, let the track do what it's gonna do. There's too much fretting about track prep - that makes sense if you're Jay Springsteen at the Springfield Mile, but motocross tracks are supposed to be rough in the afternoon, dry when it gets dry and wet when it rains.
500 Mike
9/4/2011 11:05am
WhKnuckle wrote:
Man, let the track do what it's gonna do. There's too much fretting about track prep - that makes sense if you're Jay Springsteen at the...
Man, let the track do what it's gonna do. There's too much fretting about track prep - that makes sense if you're Jay Springsteen at the Springfield Mile, but motocross tracks are supposed to be rough in the afternoon, dry when it gets dry and wet when it rains.
Agree 100%. Why does everyone think every track has to be deep and loamy? That is why there are tracks in various parts of the country. Varied conditions. That was one aspect of racing at Carlsbad that everyone knew they were going to deal with. Dry, baked, adobe.... that was it. If that place were still "alive" today would we be trying to haul in sawdust, sand etc by the train car load to make it loamy? I wouldn't be surprised. So what if Steel City gets a little hard packed at the end of the day. That is part of the conditions that the riders and teams have to deal with. Kudo's to Davey and the track crew. They bust their butts to put on a good show and a good place to race.
MXTRAINER1
9/4/2011 11:08am
If someone complains, have them ride [b]1 Blackwater 100 and that should just about cure any issue they may have with todays Motocross tracks being "pick one" ( too dry, too wet, too rough, not rough enough, no ruts, too many ruts, markers are not set in the right place, jumps are too big, jumps are not big enough, too many rocks, rocks are too big, trees are too close to the track, we need more trees, too many turns, not enough turns, too sandy, too hard pack, too many bumps coming into the turns, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
This is MOTOCROSS.[/b]
jwhitemx15
9/4/2011 11:48am
I thought the track looked good considering the heat and amount of rain two days prior - and yes, I was there and witnessed it in person. Similar to Kenworthys... but not the muddy mess Kenworthy's always was during first practice.

Only complaint I have was the easy-up tents in the infield obstructing views. They made an announcement that security would be having them taken down, but I didn't see any going down. Maybe a solution would be to have some "cooling zones" under a tent with a few mist sprayers and ban the easy-ups all together. I ended up taking the kids to the van after the practices to cool off for a bit.

Great track and probably the best over-all viewing of any national I've ever been to.
SCYRacing
9/4/2011 12:22pm
jwhitemx15 wrote:
I thought the track looked good considering the heat and amount of rain two days prior - and yes, I was there and witnessed it in...
I thought the track looked good considering the heat and amount of rain two days prior - and yes, I was there and witnessed it in person. Similar to Kenworthys... but not the muddy mess Kenworthy's always was during first practice.

Only complaint I have was the easy-up tents in the infield obstructing views. They made an announcement that security would be having them taken down, but I didn't see any going down. Maybe a solution would be to have some "cooling zones" under a tent with a few mist sprayers and ban the easy-ups all together. I ended up taking the kids to the van after the practices to cool off for a bit.

Great track and probably the best over-all viewing of any national I've ever been to.
Agreed on the EZ ups.We got there in time for practice and found a good place to see nearly the whole track,only to have these jackoffs roll in at 10 til one and prop one up and block our view of the start.We lucked out as some folks camping invited up to there spot under a tent(well up on the hill not obstructing any spectator views)and made the heat manageable,to a point.
cason402
9/4/2011 1:23pm
looked like motocross to me Davey

I have thoroughly enjoyed this outdoor season, MX Sports continues to increasingly make the Nationals an incredibly satisfying, professional and entertaining package.
NetMXer
9/4/2011 3:32pm
I thought the track looked great. Considering all the comments about lacking traction, you didn't see many guys sliding out in the turns.
SEEMEFIRST
9/4/2011 6:39pm
From the weather stats they gave, it was more humid than Texas, but not as hot. just sayin'.

We deal with "Hot and Dry" here all the time, and there is just no way to keep up with Ma Nature.
People bitch about dry-slick but what do you do? Put water on top of that and you have a hockey rink.

The only place that looked like it could have used a shot of water to me was at the end of the start at turn 1.
The dust blocked the veiw completely at exit. But I'm not going to complain because I know how tough is is.
machine
9/4/2011 6:41pm
I thought the track looked great. Right up there with Budds Creek.
500guy
9/4/2011 6:46pm
Motocross is Supposed to be about dealing with the conditions, I wonder when the expectations of a perfect track started.
Crush
9/4/2011 7:09pm
DC...

Wny not just leave it as a mudder...

It's ok to have a Mud race... And at any even i've been too, the track is chewed up after practice and racing... Add some sun, awesome, rough track..
The Rock
9/5/2011 1:26am
I've got this one DC Smile

Good question but there's mud and then there's midwest mud. Much better racing was expereienced this weekend since they scraped the muck off the top. Resulting track conditions just looked like real MX to me and certainly nothing that the modern era four stroke can't handle. Back in the day real men were racing 500 cc two strokes on surfaces like Steel City with nary a whimper.

Boring Old Guy Story-In the 70s at Highland Hills, sight of the historic Jammer/Tony D photo, we raced there frequently and man what a track. One Sunday the track was just hammered by a summer storm and the mud made conditions terrible. My dad, Big Art, suggested scraping the track in the morning but his suggestion was ignored. Couple of practices and people are stuck everywhere. Big Art then pressed the issue and they begrudgingly scraped and voila' the track turned out bitchin'.

End of the day one of the club members thanked my dad for being so persistent.
Crush
9/5/2011 2:11am
That's my point tho...

I don't care that it's hardpack like it was... And I wouldn't care if it was an absolute grease ball mud race...

It's motocross...

Not SX with no jumps on the same freaken surface every week... Red Bud looks amazing, but why are we trying to make every track just like it... Apart from dust for tv, I think the tracks should have some characteristics that make them unique
St Ann More
9/5/2011 4:13am
Agree with the above, it's good to have variety, even if you didn't mean it.
Crush
9/5/2011 5:00am
At this rate it won't be long till they add clay to southwick to make it like RedBud/Colorado/Budds Creek/Steel City/Highpoint/Freestone...

I'd love to hear what Broc Glover says about Tyre choice overall... I'm guessing he can justabout spec a single control tyre type for the whole year!!!
ODB
9/5/2011 5:16am
i guess alot of guys are too used to runnin spot on groomed practice facilities !!!...................like i said before let it be the guys may slow down a little and get some racin in ,now if we coukld just leave the natural terrain and get rid of the supercross in motocross .........Whistling
Highsider
9/5/2011 5:30am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2011 5:33am
On tv it looked like Saddleback in the sixties.Laughing

Inconsequential Vital-posters have been crying for a hard-pack National track variation. Now they got it! Great racing all year and great presentation.

See ya'all at Pala!
bullpen58
9/5/2011 7:09am
I think the track needed more Monster Energy cans out on the course. Just my $0.02.
9/5/2011 8:26am
bullpen58 wrote:
I think the track needed more Monster Energy cans out on the course. Just my $0.02.
I haven't seen a Monster can on the track since Vegas.

Post a reply to: Steel City Track Prep

The Latest