Starting up a kit suspension test with Showa, WP, KYB, and Ohlins...what's your take on kit suspension?

H4L
7/6/2017 8:05pm
Moto520 wrote:
I use Factory Connection and have been very happy with them in comparison to many other suspension companies over the years. I'm just giving my point...
I use Factory Connection and have been very happy with them in comparison to many other suspension companies over the years. I'm just giving my point of view on my suspension. It was good but not a game changer. I'm an "A" level rider and I wanted to remove this variable once and for all to see if it would make a huge difference. It didn't

The guys that don't have the "A" kit stuff and are wondering if buying the suspension will make them much better riders^^^^^^^^^^^thats for you.

I'm like the working man's hero for my comments
Agree with your comments on the Kit suspension. I had an opportunity to buy a low hr. almost new Showa A-kit with 50mm fork tubes off a guys 09 CRF450r for my 10 model. After riding his bike (we were similiar in weight & ability) at the Hangtown track the suspension felt harsh & rigid. He was selling it for $5K & felt the $800 FC revalve / respring oem KYB components worked better for me. As a vet int. mx rider I didn't think the A-kit would make me a better or faster rider.
Moto520
7/6/2017 8:37pm
H4L wrote:
Agree with your comments on the Kit suspension. I had an opportunity to buy a low hr. almost new Showa A-kit with 50mm fork tubes off...
Agree with your comments on the Kit suspension. I had an opportunity to buy a low hr. almost new Showa A-kit with 50mm fork tubes off a guys 09 CRF450r for my 10 model. After riding his bike (we were similiar in weight & ability) at the Hangtown track the suspension felt harsh & rigid. He was selling it for $5K & felt the $800 FC revalve / respring oem KYB components worked better for me. As a vet int. mx rider I didn't think the A-kit would make me a better or faster rider.
Alright brother! It finally happened. Someone agreed
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/6/2017 9:46pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Yep. Was just wondering how you guys were going to conduct this test to get the best results possible that's all. Only thing that would make...
Yep. Was just wondering how you guys were going to conduct this test to get the best results possible that's all.

Only thing that would make this test even better is 2 strokes and east coast tracks but I understand why that's not a possibility.

I got no use for any of the kits but I'm sure some guys on here do so will these kits be sold as used units after you guys are done testing?
ML512 wrote:
I wish I could do some east coast testing and two-strokes matter less in suspension tests sorta...they're way easier to setup, ha! Especially the forks. All...
I wish I could do some east coast testing and two-strokes matter less in suspension tests sorta...they're way easier to setup, ha! Especially the forks.

All of these will eventually be returned and I'm pretty sure they have homes.
mxb2 wrote:
Can you post prices of each kit?
Still waiting on one of the prices. That and more will be in the actual article.
mxb2
7/6/2017 9:50pm
ML512 wrote:
I wish I could do some east coast testing and two-strokes matter less in suspension tests sorta...they're way easier to setup, ha! Especially the forks. All...
I wish I could do some east coast testing and two-strokes matter less in suspension tests sorta...they're way easier to setup, ha! Especially the forks.

All of these will eventually be returned and I'm pretty sure they have homes.
mxb2 wrote:
Can you post prices of each kit?
ML512 wrote:
Still waiting on one of the prices. That and more will be in the actual article.
Thanks, those Showas are. so sick.

The Shop

Bennett59
7/6/2017 10:11pm
I had a set of Ohlins on my 16 Fc 350 loved them felt like they floated on the rough stuff. Running Factory Connection on crf450 liking it a lot also
nch209
7/8/2017 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 8:34pm
ML- Great work yet again! Always wanted a review like this! Props to you!

I look forward to your review, and think it will be beneficial to many. Oddly, I'm in a position now that I can afford kit suspension, but don't have time to ride nearly as much (wife, kids, job, being old...36, ect,haha) but when I could have used it when I was younger and rode all the time and when I couldn't afford it! Lol, as life goes!

The kicker now in my opinion is the leap forward oem stuff is taking. While outside of your scope of your review, I'd imagine kit stuff that still looks nice from years ago may now not be that much greater than say oem found stuff on the 18's for example. (I.e. Buying a used set of Showa 49 springs and putting them against new Honda or Suzuki stuff???) Rant over!

Ah, the older I get the faster I was... But now I need my stuff to look fast! Lol!

Look forward to your reviews and insights man!
-n8
j100
7/8/2017 9:41pm
no call?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/8/2017 9:44pm
It would be very interesting to see the results with a placebo set, to act as a control, mixed in. As a matter of fact, placebo controlled testing of other product's (when possible) would be interesting too.
Spergen
7/27/2017 6:00pm
Any news on the progress? Really looking forward to reading this.
JM485
7/27/2017 6:19pm
mark911 wrote:
After the dynamic testing is over I volunteer to do a complete teardown and engineering evaluation of each unit along with a comprehensive comparison between the...
After the dynamic testing is over I volunteer to do a complete teardown and engineering evaluation of each unit along with a comprehensive comparison between the A-Kits and stock components.
I know this is old but I missed it the first time. I would really like to see this, I don't know how much the average rider would be interested, but for me this would be beyond cool.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/27/2017 6:56pm
Spergen wrote:
Any news on the progress? Really looking forward to reading this.
Bike intro season has taken a bit of my life away, started on this but I need a bit more time to get this built out. I'm actually going to break this piece down into the group test we did and some individual days with each set down the road. Expect the group piece early next month.
Johnny Depp
7/27/2017 6:58pm
It will be worth the wait I'm sure. It is still gonna be free to read right?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/27/2017 7:19pm
It will be worth the wait I'm sure. It is still gonna be free to read right?
I was thinking I'd charge a ten cents viewing fee... Wink
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
7/27/2017 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2017 8:09pm
These guys were helping with the shootout by the looks of the video.

7/27/2017 10:40pm
YOU CAN'T EVEN BOTTOM OUT KIT SUSPENSION, LINDSAY!! LOL!!!

Sorry,but I had to do that. Smile
Tzevtkoff
7/28/2017 12:17am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2017 12:17am
mxb2 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/06/203611/s1200_IMG_20161023_130622555_HDR.jpg[/img]

Beautiful.
aees
8/15/2017 4:25am
How is it going?
PRM31
8/15/2017 5:22am
Myke wrote:
These guys were helping with the shootout by the looks of the video. [embed] https://youtu.be/8amqADiOn-s?ecver=1 [/embed]
These guys were helping with the shootout by the looks of the video.

Aside from landing off jumps, what suspension testing could you do on those tracks??
wfo4ever
8/15/2017 7:24am
TeamGreen wrote:
Michael,

Have you had production shocks that were made to work as well as kit?
I was thinking the same thing "Team Green". Everybody thinks they need A-Kits. I would guess that most riders on this forum do not even have their production suspension set up properly for them. I believe a lot of it is all in the riders head. Mind over matter as they say. If you spend a fortune on suspension you already think it is awesome before you even mount it on your bike.
twotwosix
8/15/2017 7:47am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2017 7:48am
I think the new '18 RMZ450 is the first bike where we are seeing true trickle down from works stuff of a few years back. The '17 Honda kind of did the same, but Suzuki took it further with their new shock. Seems like the rapid release of Air forks kind of stalled this trickle down for a bit while everyone screwed around with the less expensive, lighter air stuff. Even if the '18 RMZs suspension isn't set up perfect in stock form, those big forks and BFRC shock really have the bones to be transformed into some seriously competent suspension that could rival some of this kit stuff once worked over.
benno387
12/20/2018 12:45pm
Where can I find this write up guys been looking everywhere
benno387
12/20/2018 1:24pm
mg311 wrote:
https://www.dirtrider.com/breaking-down-kit-suspension-from-kyb-showa-and-wp on this review keeper say kyb are more comfort on new wp podcast he says wp has more comfort. I don't believe on suspensions shootout...
https://www.dirtrider.com/breaking-down-kit-suspension-from-kyb-showa-a…

on this review keeper say kyb are more comfort on new wp podcast he says wp has more comfort. I don't believe on suspensions shootout the settings are too important
I don’t believe this test was very well set out
Three completely different bikes with suspension brands that they come out with.
Was more interested in different after market options on different bikes
ML512’s test is what I’m looking for as I ride a Honda also
mg311
12/20/2018 2:04pm
mg311 wrote:
https://www.dirtrider.com/breaking-down-kit-suspension-from-kyb-showa-and-wp on this review keeper say kyb are more comfort on new wp podcast he says wp has more comfort. I don't believe on suspensions shootout...
https://www.dirtrider.com/breaking-down-kit-suspension-from-kyb-showa-a…

on this review keeper say kyb are more comfort on new wp podcast he says wp has more comfort. I don't believe on suspensions shootout the settings are too important
benno387 wrote:
I don’t believe this test was very well set out Three completely different bikes with suspension brands that they come out with. Was more interested in...
I don’t believe this test was very well set out
Three completely different bikes with suspension brands that they come out with.
Was more interested in different after market options on different bikes
ML512’s test is what I’m looking for as I ride a Honda also
ML512 test doesn't exist forget it vital mx doesn't do it
2/17/2019 3:43am
Has anyone run an Ohlins shock with the Cone Valve forks. I am trying to buy a new shock and debating between an Ohlins and stock.
ob
2/17/2019 8:18am
Has anyone run an Ohlins shock with the Cone Valve forks. I am trying to buy a new shock and debating between an Ohlins and stock.
I've used two different versions of ohlins shocks, and I have cone valves on my bike currently. The older ohlins shock was pure magic. Soooo good. And I just rode the new version of ohlins shock and wasn't impressed, my stock shock was better. Also ridden the trax shock, it was good also but not like the older gold ohlins shock. Of course set up is key and you can get them all to work really good, KTMs rear shock is more performance feeling than comfortable but it's a good shock especially with a bladder set up. Just Imop, good luck man
RF145
6/22/2022 5:23pm
Love to see a 2022/2023 version of this test. Hopefully using the same model bike for each suspension A-Kit, with the test riders jumping right from one bike to another.

Post a reply to: Starting up a kit suspension test with Showa, WP, KYB, and Ohlins...what's your take on kit suspension?

The Latest