Started my own moto business, introducing 3DP Moto

Related:
Create New Tag

8/16/2019 10:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2019 10:27 PM

To the honorable members of the VBT, I bid your time and consideration. . .

I've decided to start a small side business that will combine two of my favorite things, moto and 3d printing, called 3DP Moto. To start things off, we'll be offering fully custom brake cable guides for all bikes that will be made to order. The website will guide you through the purchasing process, but essentially I will just need the make, model, and year of the bike as well as the desired text. I currently can do any modern bike, however old bikes can be done as well, it just may take a bit longer as I need to locate a stock part to measure for fitment.

I'm also open to any other ideas or projects you guys may have in mind. I can offer full CAD and engineering services, as well as help determine if 3d printing is a viable option for whatever application you have in mind. Whether its prototype parts or replacement pieces for discontinued bikes I'd be more than happy to discuss the project and see if what I can provide would be a good option for you.

Check out the site and let me know what you think, I've never built a website before so I kind of learned as I went, but overall I'm happy with how it came out. There is also a bit of info about the 3d printing process and what can be expected of 3d printed parts. Obviously I can't go into nearly the depth that it would take to cover the entire range of what 3d printing is, but this should provide enough of an overview to form a solid understanding of the process and what it takes for a part to go from concept to reality:

https://www.3dpmoto.com/

You can also find it on IG @3dpmoto, where I'll be posting updates on parts I'm working on as well as whatever else comes up in the process.






|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/16/2019 10:30 PM

Here’s a few shots of the printer. It’s a Railcore II 300zl that I built myself. There’s more info about it on our IG page, but I’ve been extremely impressed with the performance of the printer so far!





|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/16/2019 10:39 PM

Well done and good luck.

|

8/16/2019 10:45 PM

Best of luck!

|

8/16/2019 10:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2019 10:52 PM

Awesome..... Adding to my list of contacts

|

8/16/2019 10:51 PM

@JM485 Congrats on the new business venture.

I'm curious how much that 3d printer set you back? I see a huge array of pricing as well as options. Did you know on places like thingverse you can PRINT your own upgrades for your printer like brackets to improve its functionality, accuracy and efficiency. Ive been reading about them for months there is SO MUCH to learn in order to make an educated purchase that fits your needs specifically.

What's the working area?

Reason I'm looking into one is to make some moto parts AND I want to get I to replicating old discontinued rc car products and improvements to current models as well.

I'd love to get my hands on a small AFFORDABLE CNC machine too for cutting g chassis from blank carbon fiber sheets, shock towers etc.

I dig the brake line routing part you put pics up of. I'll keep an eye on your site for future updates and parts.

On another note I'm moving back up to norcal (small tiny town outside of Stockton) for good and really looking for some riding buddies riding a lot of moto some trails too.....I cut my teeth at Carnegie back in 1986 and rode there till I moved down here. My dad started that place before but was even a park with some friends. Rode there about a year and a half ago it was awesome ripping up all my old hillclimbs.

|

8/16/2019 11:22 PM

Awesome, best of luck!

|

8/17/2019 3:59 AM

Side panel graphics protection

|

8/17/2019 4:00 AM

Very cool product. Best of luck on your venture. If I was riding right now I would purchase one for sure.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore.

8/17/2019 5:16 AM

JM485 wrote:

Here’s a few shots of the printer. It’s a Railcore II 300zl that I built myself. There’s more info about it on our IG page, but I’ve been extremely impressed with the performance of the printer so far!





Could you comment on the strength of printed plastic parts? Say vs. injection molded or however stock

type parts are formed on our mx bikes. How about chain guides, sliders and hard use items like that? Could you

form carbon fiber silencer cans? I'm interested. Thanks.

|

8/17/2019 7:48 AM

TexasVet wrote:

Could you comment on the strength of printed plastic parts? Say vs. injection molded or however stock

type parts are formed on our mx bikes. How about chain guides, sliders and hard use items like that? Could you

form carbon fiber silencer cans? I'm interested. Thanks.

It is possible to 3D print with carbon fiber element. Can build very strong structures with little material when designed right.
However, the carbon fiber printed element typically finishes matte and textured.

If you want that "factory built" carbon fiber and high gloss look you would still have to do a carbon fiber sheet overlay. The best way to do it would be to 3D print the silencer body in regular carbon powder, sanding, and then do a resin impregnated carbon sheet cover shaped in a vacuum bag. Maybe some light post-process polish depending on finish requirements.

I am experienced in arranging manufacturing processes on contract if you are interested

|

8/17/2019 7:58 AM

Good luck!

Do the opposite of Derek and you’ll be fine.

|

8/17/2019 8:00 AM

I was stoked to see this on IG yesterday! Good luck dude. Can't wait to see what you have planned

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/17/2019 8:03 AM

Best of luck to you, Are there other parts on the bike you can make that would be better quality and competitive on price?

|

8/17/2019 8:10 AM

JM485 wrote:

Here’s a few shots of the printer. It’s a Railcore II 300zl that I built myself. There’s more info about it on our IG page, but I’ve been extremely impressed with the performance of the printer so far!





TexasVet wrote:

Could you comment on the strength of printed plastic parts? Say vs. injection molded or however stock

type parts are formed on our mx bikes. How about chain guides, sliders and hard use items like that? Could you

form carbon fiber silencer cans? I'm interested. Thanks.

I was going to ask about chain sliders and guides myself. Personally, I like the "ugly" look of purpose-made works parts. Brown magnesium and non-shiny carbon fiber are beautiful to me.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/17/2019 8:12 AM

JM! Super cool! I'm happy for you! Once you can make for an 87 CR, I'll purchase.

|

I have so many down votes my down votes have their own down votes.

8/17/2019 8:36 AM

Super cool! May be awhile but I’ll definitely be throwing a black one on the 125 when I start wrapping it up. Much cleaner than my stock setup.

|

8/17/2019 9:15 AM

Very Cool , congratulations and Best of luck.

|

8/17/2019 9:19 AM

Lightning78 wrote:

@JM485 Congrats on the new business venture.

I'm curious how much that 3d printer set you back? I see a huge array of pricing as well as options. Did you know on places like thingverse you can PRINT your own upgrades for your printer like brackets to improve its functionality, accuracy and efficiency. Ive been reading about them for months there is SO MUCH to learn in order to make an educated purchase that fits your needs specifically.

What's the working area?

Reason I'm looking into one is to make some moto parts AND I want to get I to replicating old discontinued rc car products and improvements to current models as well.

I'd love to get my hands on a small AFFORDABLE CNC machine too for cutting g chassis from blank carbon fiber sheets, shock towers etc.

I dig the brake line routing part you put pics up of. I'll keep an eye on your site for future updates and parts.

On another note I'm moving back up to norcal (small tiny town outside of Stockton) for good and really looking for some riding buddies riding a lot of moto some trails too.....I cut my teeth at Carnegie back in 1986 and rode there till I moved down here. My dad started that place before but was even a park with some friends. Rode there about a year and a half ago it was awesome ripping up all my old hillclimbs.

The kit for the printer was around $1700, they can be bought assembled for about $1000 more I believe but I wanted to see if I could successfully build it myself. It comes with very high quality components though, and not chinese clones. And yes, Thingiverse is awesome!!! It's amazing how quickly these things have developed over the years and a major contributing factor to that is the open source nature of most printers, the community does a much better job developing fixes and upgrades than a single company ever could so the rate of progress has been just incredible. I'm working on a spool holder currently and if it work out like I plan I may upload it as a free download, I just haven't been happy with any of the other designs I've seen.

Working area for this printer is around 1 cubic foot. This can be increased to 2 cubic feet with the ZLT (T, as in Tall), however for the additional cost and lack of availability I just didn't see it as worth it for my intended use. I would imagine the RC market is salivating over these things, as long as you can get a reliable setting down that produces strongly bonded parts I don't see any reason why you couldn't produce some pretty hefty chassis parts with these. It's somewhat of a give/take world sometimes, I can print parts that look fantastic but have pretty crappy layer adhesion, while on the flip side I can print parts that look a little rough, but are strong as hell and fully bonded. The trick is finding that perfect balance of both, which is why I'm constantly testing and tuning (even as I type this I've got a test print going).

Shoot me a message when you move back up, I won't be riding Carnegie again for another few months but all the local tracks are fair game right now. It's been hot lately but tomorrow is looking like a great day.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/17/2019 9:22 AM

Markee wrote:

Side panel graphics protection

See the "custom projects" tab on my site? We may be able to work something out there if you're really interested. . .

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/17/2019 9:28 AM

Sweet ride you have 4the7ove

|

8/17/2019 9:42 AM

TexasVet wrote:

Could you comment on the strength of printed plastic parts? Say vs. injection molded or however stock

type parts are formed on our mx bikes. How about chain guides, sliders and hard use items like that? Could you

form carbon fiber silencer cans? I'm interested. Thanks.

When you say "strength", that's somewhat of a loaded question.

First and foremost it would depend entirely on what the stock part was made from. In the case of a cable guide, I've found that the printed parts (printed from Polyethylene Terephthalate, or PETG for short) are much more rigid, but less ductile. What this basically boils down to is that the stock part will deform quite a bit before rupture but behave a bit like a wet noodle, while the printed part will retain it's shape much better under load but rupture under less deformation. My rule of thumb on these is if you crash and break the printed part, your stock one would have likely broken as well or become so deformed as to be useless. However, if anyone were to have issues with them I'd be happy to warranty them for the first year, if it somehow broke under normal riding conditions I will print you a new one ASAP and ship it out to you.

I've experimented a bit with other parts as well, but nothing I'm willing to put on anyone else's bike yet. I had a printed ignition cover on my bike for a couple months before it finally met its demise with a tree root sticking out on the side of the trail. I have no idea if the stock one would have held up any better or not, but the failure was enough for me to hold off on offering those until I refine the design a bit, possibly change material, and get a lot of testing time in under extreme conditions. As far as chain sliders and such, I think it could potentially work, however I just don't see the market for them. I think I would have a hard time matching the durability of companies like TM Designworks for current bikes as of now, however when I start dabbling into printing nylon that may change. I could see it potentially being an option for bikes with discontinued parts, but for bikes with these components readily available I just don't see it as being an improvement.

Things like silencer cans that see a lot of heat probably aren't a great fit more the type of printing I can do. The plastic just won't hold up to that type of environment unfortunately. There are metal 3d printers out there though, I'm just about $50,000 short of being able to afford one!

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/17/2019 10:50 AM

Nice stuff Josh

|

8/17/2019 1:50 PM

Since this is your business now are you gonna get more printers?

|

8/17/2019 1:52 PM

JM485 wrote:

To the honorable members of the VBT, I bid your time and consideration. . .

I've decided to start a small side business that will combine two of my favorite things, moto and 3d printing, called 3DP Moto. To start things off, we'll be offering fully custom brake cable guides for all bikes that will be made to order. The website will guide you through the purchasing process, but essentially I will just need the make, model, and year of the bike as well as the desired text. I currently can do any modern bike, however old bikes can be done as well, it just may take a bit longer as I need to locate a stock part to measure for fitment.

I'm also open to any other ideas or projects you guys may have in mind. I can offer full CAD and engineering services, as well as help determine if 3d printing is a viable option for whatever application you have in mind. Whether its prototype parts or replacement pieces for discontinued bikes I'd be more than happy to discuss the project and see if what I can provide would be a good option for you.

Check out the site and let me know what you think, I've never built a website before so I kind of learned as I went, but overall I'm happy with how it came out. There is also a bit of info about the 3d printing process and what can be expected of 3d printed parts. Obviously I can't go into nearly the depth that it would take to cover the entire range of what 3d printing is, but this should provide enough of an overview to form a solid understanding of the process and what it takes for a part to go from concept to reality:

https://www.3dpmoto.com/

You can also find it on IG @3dpmoto, where I'll be posting updates on parts I'm working on as well as whatever else comes up in the process.






Anything with double penetration has to be good... No?

|

8/17/2019 1:53 PM

BobbyM wrote:

Anything with double penetration has to be good... No?

Your browser history has herpes

|

8/17/2019 3:06 PM

JM485 wrote:

Here’s a few shots of the printer. It’s a Railcore II 300zl that I built myself. There’s more info about it on our IG page, but I’ve been extremely impressed with the performance of the printer so far!





TexasVet wrote:

Could you comment on the strength of printed plastic parts? Say vs. injection molded or however stock

type parts are formed on our mx bikes. How about chain guides, sliders and hard use items like that? Could you

form carbon fiber silencer cans? I'm interested. Thanks.

JM485 wrote:

When you say "strength", that's somewhat of a loaded question.

First and foremost it would depend entirely on what the stock part was made from. In the case of a cable guide, I've found that the printed parts (printed from Polyethylene Terephthalate, or PETG for short) are much more rigid, but less ductile. What this basically boils down to is that the stock part will deform quite a bit before rupture but behave a bit like a wet noodle, while the printed part will retain it's shape much better under load but rupture under less deformation. My rule of thumb on these is if you crash and break the printed part, your stock one would have likely broken as well or become so deformed as to be useless. However, if anyone were to have issues with them I'd be happy to warranty them for the first year, if it somehow broke under normal riding conditions I will print you a new one ASAP and ship it out to you.

I've experimented a bit with other parts as well, but nothing I'm willing to put on anyone else's bike yet. I had a printed ignition cover on my bike for a couple months before it finally met its demise with a tree root sticking out on the side of the trail. I have no idea if the stock one would have held up any better or not, but the failure was enough for me to hold off on offering those until I refine the design a bit, possibly change material, and get a lot of testing time in under extreme conditions. As far as chain sliders and such, I think it could potentially work, however I just don't see the market for them. I think I would have a hard time matching the durability of companies like TM Designworks for current bikes as of now, however when I start dabbling into printing nylon that may change. I could see it potentially being an option for bikes with discontinued parts, but for bikes with these components readily available I just don't see it as being an improvement.

Things like silencer cans that see a lot of heat probably aren't a great fit more the type of printing I can do. The plastic just won't hold up to that type of environment unfortunately. There are metal 3d printers out there though, I'm just about $50,000 short of being able to afford one!

Ok. Understood. Would you say your ign. covers are similar in strength to the old Simons yellow covers?

As a comment, I think your market would be rich in the older market- late 80's/ 90's and such. "Trick " parts are rare and

expensive. Frame protectors for example. Or front/rear brake master cylinder guards. I often have to buy these out

of Europe. Would love to see someone make hubs for these bikes and fork guard parts.

|

8/17/2019 3:12 PM

I’m a big fan of this venture! I’ve recently been dabbling with 3D printing at home, and I’m a prototype CNC Programmer by trade, so I’ve been considering doing something like this myself to hopefully grow into something bigger down the road. Enough about me. Best of luck, and I’ll be following you!

|

8/19/2019 9:45 PM

Sorry for the late response guys, I wanted to sit down and answer questions thoroughly and didn't have time to do so before.

For anyone who has messaged or tried to message me through the PM system here, I will always respond if I see it but the system is sketchy at best. Please email me at 3dpmoto@gmail.com to make sure I get your message, I don't want to leave anyone hanging!

Colintrax: For now this will remain the only printer in my arsenal. This is just a side business for me and I doubt I'll be generating the revenue necessary to live in the extremely reasonably priced bay area housing market any time soon with it, so I'll be keeping my day job. If it ever got to the point where I couldn't keep up with orders I'd consider adding another, but I'm starting slow here.


Texas: I'm not familiar with the Simmons covers, I'm thinking those may be before my time. However, I'd be very interested in making things like frame and reservoir guards for older bikes, that's exactly the type of thing that I think this company could excel at since they would be one-off custom parts.

Power: I can tell you firsthand that finding a shop to make single prototype parts is extremely hard, and if you can do things competitively in low quantities I think you'd have a real winner. I'd love to get into the CNC stuff but it's just too cost prohibitive for me at this stage in my life. I've designed a few extension setups for hillclimb bikes and we're constantly battling the issue of machining availability, it's just too expensive to have single sets machined.


If anyone else has any questions or ideas please do not hesitate to shoot me an email! There are no dumb ideas, if the idea just doesn't fit the 3d printing process I can definitely let you know and maybe point you to a manufacturing technique that would be more appropriate, but if you don't ask neither of us will know! It doesn't need to be moto related either, if you want something for your sport bike, custom car, anything really just ask away. That's the great thing about this process, there are so many possibilities and options.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/19/2019 9:50 PM

Here’s a few of our first supporters:




|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com