Stark's (crazy) claims and the reality of off road EVs

Jeff_Brines
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2022 4:39pm
Long time lurker who doesn't post much. Before I get into the math, I wanted to point out I have no political bias or nostalgia bias. I own a Tesla and a diesel truck. I own a 2 stroke dirt bike and a 2 stroke turbocharged snowmobile. The common thread among all these vehicles is applying the right technology for your intended purpose.

I didn't read all of the 28 page Stark VARG thread, but I did start doing some basic math, all of which suggests it is highly unlikely the company's run time estimations are within the realm of realty.

Some baselines for everyone.

Stark VARGs battery size 6kw/h -- Claimed Range: "up to 6 hours" or say 30 minutes of MX style riding.
Alta Redshift battery size 5.8kw/h -- Claimed Range: "up to 4 hours of riding in the woods" - real life ended up about 90 minutes. *could* be run about 25 minutes of hard moto riding.
Zero SRS battery size 15.6kw/h - Claimed range ~110 miles
Tesla Model Y - 75kw/h - Claimed range 310 miles (which you can do in perfect conditions/tires/wind/driving etc).

Before I go further, we all know there are massive efficiency losses off road for a myriad of reasons including rolling resistance, wheel spin, elevation gains losses, "race" style riding (hammering on brakes and throttle) etc.

To try and make an apples to apples comparison, one gallon of gas is the equivalent of 33.7 kw/h (according to science). This means your normal moto bike has about 54 kw/h of power onboard (or roughly 2/3 the size of a Tesla battery pack!)

ICE however only has efficiency of around 30-35% versus a Tesla of around 80-94% efficient (newest supposed to be around 90-94% efficient).

So, adding these figures in...

Standard 1.6 gallon moto bike @33% efficiency has about 17.8kw/h vs a Stark at 6kwh running at 95% (lets give them the benefit of the doubt) about 5.7kw/h efficiency.

That's right, about 1/3 the energy of a fully gas'd up MX race bike (and 1/5th an off road bike w larger tank).

Stark can get some additional efficiency through regenerative braking, output controls etc. However, I don't think I'm alone in thinking they are *****wildly***** out of line with their claims, especially for the off-road guys.

I'd say "oh, battery technology will improve drastically over the next handful of years" but I don't think that'll happen for the $13,000 dirt bike set (we'll see it for the $100K car driver set).

I want to be proven wrong, but after listening to the CEO talk, I got some serious Elizabeth Holmes vibes.

Someone please chime in and show me where my math is off.

EDIT: I did some research on the mechanical efficiency of engines. More than likely, a 4 stroke dirt bike motor is very efficient when it comes to actually turning gasoline into mechanical (kinetic) energy (as opposed to thermal energy). My data point of 30-35% is probably accurate. This is not to say dirt bike engines have good MPGs, its just to say when energy is put into the motor, about 1/3 of it is going to be turned into rotating (mechanical/kinetic) energy. MPG, vehicle efficiency, etc are all driven by other factors.
|
davis224
Fantasy
165th
3/21/2022 10:37am
I dunno about the math, but we'll have real world tests in a month, so we'll find out for sure then. I'm waiting on my deposit til then.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/21/2022 10:38am
If they over-promise and under-deliver the market will take care of them soon enough.
Bruce372
3/21/2022 10:42am
It's only a matter of time until we find out how long the stark will run for at a good pace.

If that time is not acceptable, its only a matter of more time until the battery technology meets expectations and I doubt that will be long.
Jeff_Brines
3/21/2022 10:45am
Bruce372 wrote:
It's only a matter of time until we find out how long the stark will run for at a good pace. If that time is not...
It's only a matter of time until we find out how long the stark will run for at a good pace.

If that time is not acceptable, its only a matter of more time until the battery technology meets expectations and I doubt that will be long.
This type of thinking is seriously flawed. We've been waiting for the holy grail of battery technology for a long (long) time. If you listen to the smartest in the room, or even capital allocators aiming at fixing this problem, they suggest battery's may get about twice as good over the next 10-15 years. Seems to me that's about when it'll be viable to have an electric moto, and it also seems to me this is why you haven't seen the mainstream brands "disrupt the market" with a version themselves.

Technology isn't there.

Anxiously awaiting to hear I'm wrong from someone quantitative.

The Shop

Broseph
3/21/2022 10:49am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2022 10:51am
Long time lurker who doesn't post much. Before I get into the math, I wanted to point out I have no political bias or nostalgia bias...
Long time lurker who doesn't post much. Before I get into the math, I wanted to point out I have no political bias or nostalgia bias. I own a Tesla and a diesel truck. I own a 2 stroke dirt bike and a 2 stroke turbocharged snowmobile. The common thread among all these vehicles is applying the right technology for your intended purpose.

I didn't read all of the 28 page Stark VARG thread, but I did start doing some basic math, all of which suggests it is highly unlikely the company's run time estimations are within the realm of realty.

Stark VARGs battery size 6kw/h -- Claimed Range: "up to 6 hours" or say 30 minutes of MX style riding.
Alta Redshift battery size 5.8kw/h -- Claimed Range: "up to 4 hours of riding in the woods" - real life ended up about 90 minutes. *could* be run about 25 minutes of hard moto riding.
Tesla Model Y - 75kw/h - Claimed range 310 miles (which you can do in perfect conditions/tires/wind/driving etc).

Before I go further, we all know there are massive efficiency losses off road for a myriad of reasons including rolling resistance, wheel spin, elevation gains losses, "race" style riding (hammering on brakes and throttle) etc.

To try and make an apples to apples comparison, one gallon of gas is the equivalent of 33.7 kw/h (according to science). This means your normal moto bike has about 54 kw/h of power onboard (or roughly 2/3 the size of a Tesla battery pack!)

ICE however only has efficiency of around 30-35% versus a Tesla of around 80-94% efficient (newest supposed to be around 90-94% efficient).

Standard 1.6 gallon moto bike @33% efficiency has about 17.8kw/h vs a Stark at 6kwh running at 95% (lets give them the benefit of the doubt) about 5.7kw/h efficiency.

That's right, about 1/3 the energy of a fully gas'd up MX race bike (and 1/5th an off road bike w larger tank).

Stark can get some additional efficiency through regenerative braking, output controls etc. However, I don't think I'm alone in thinking they are *****wildly***** out of line with their claims, especially for the off-road guys.

I'd say "oh, battery technology will improve drastically over the next handful of years" but I don't think that'll happen for the $13,000 dirt bike set (we'll see it for the $100K car driver set).

I want to be proven wrong, but after listening to the CEO talk, I got some serious Elizabeth Holmes vibes.

EDIT: I did some research on the mechanical efficiency of engines. More than likely, a 4 stroke dirt bike motor is very efficient when it comes to actually turning gasoline into mechanical (kinetic) energy (as opposed to thermal energy). My data point of 30-35% is probably accurate. This is not to say dirt bike engines have good MPGs, its just to say when energy is put into the motor, about 1/3 of it is going to be turned into rotating (mechanical/kinetic) energy. MPG, vehicle efficiency, etc are all driven by other factors.
I believe your efficiency estimate for an MX engine is too high. These engines are not at all designed or tuned with fuel efficiency in mind. Also the rider is not even remotely thinking about efficiency while riding a track. So I think the actual power put to the rear wheel is much less than 33% of the energy contained in the fuel.

I don’t have better numbers for you, but just looking at the type of engine and conditions it requires to even get to 30% efficiency, then looking at a dirt bike where we tune for max hp, slip the clutch, bounce the limiter, and blast the intake port with a bunch of extra fuel literally every time the rider twitches his wrist, I just don’t see them as being in the same ballpark.

Edit: I’m not saying Stark can or will live up to its claims, just pointing out that your math might be unintentionally favoring the current mx engine.
Jeff_Brines
3/21/2022 11:19am
Broseph wrote:
I believe your efficiency estimate for an MX engine is too high. These engines are not at all designed or tuned with fuel efficiency in mind...
I believe your efficiency estimate for an MX engine is too high. These engines are not at all designed or tuned with fuel efficiency in mind. Also the rider is not even remotely thinking about efficiency while riding a track. So I think the actual power put to the rear wheel is much less than 33% of the energy contained in the fuel.

I don’t have better numbers for you, but just looking at the type of engine and conditions it requires to even get to 30% efficiency, then looking at a dirt bike where we tune for max hp, slip the clutch, bounce the limiter, and blast the intake port with a bunch of extra fuel literally every time the rider twitches his wrist, I just don’t see them as being in the same ballpark.

Edit: I’m not saying Stark can or will live up to its claims, just pointing out that your math might be unintentionally favoring the current mx engine.
Great point. I've got a lot of assumptions in my "model" that are very much debatable, this being one of them. Thanks!
byke
3/21/2022 11:22am
Bruce372 wrote:
It's only a matter of time until we find out how long the stark will run for at a good pace. If that time is not...

This type of thinking is seriously flawed. We've been waiting for the holy grail of battery technology for a long (long) time. If you listen to...
This type of thinking is seriously flawed. We've been waiting for the holy grail of battery technology for a long (long) time. If you listen to the smartest in the room, or even capital allocators aiming at fixing this problem, they suggest battery's may get about twice as good over the next 10-15 years. Seems to me that's about when it'll be viable to have an electric moto, and it also seems to me this is why you haven't seen the mainstream brands "disrupt the market" with a version themselves.

Technology isn't there.

I think the main flaw is thinking that ICE and electric "must be the same in every way before anyone buys them". Just look at 2t's and 4t's, each has their strengths and weaknesses and people buy them both just fine. Electrics are no different, you trade range for significantly reduced maintenance, gobs of torque, better riding opportunities due to noise, etc. We all value the various aspects of a bike differently, applying a different weight to each category.

Another way we could look at the math is in terms of horsepower used. Take supercross for example, it's all bursts of throttle, nothing really sustained like outdoors, save for the whoops. If you were off the gas 2/3's of the time and full throttle 1/3 of the time, that 60hp bike is using 20hp on average? Or, 15kw? Or, 5kwh used in a 20min main? Might be enough.

With that said, never trust a salesman in a turtleneck. Shit, don't trust anyone in a turtleneck.
Bruce372
3/21/2022 11:28am
Bruce372 wrote:

This type of thinking is seriously flawed. We've been waiting for the holy grail of battery technology for a long (long) time. If you listen to...

Technology isn't there.

Waiting to test the battery output in a real world setting isn't flawed, it's collecting data.

Until you've collected that data, no one knows whether it's good enough, LOL.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/21/2022 11:28am
I agree with the OP. I think he's over selling this bike that hasn't been proven in real world conditions yet.
mx317
3/21/2022 11:36am
May be overselling, but I bet it's been tested. By real world, I assume you mean Joe Schmoe riding at XZY racetrack and never reading the owners manual?
gt80rider
3/21/2022 11:37am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2022 11:38am
Long time lurker who doesn't post much. Before I get into the math, I wanted to point out I have no political bias or nostalgia bias...

95 percent.... lol.... the highest eff number I've ever seen on a high end out runner greater than 8 pole motor is around 70ish..... actually high 60s if I remember correctly... and that's before battery, wire, and connector losses of the overall system.... after those, much lower...

As I see it... at the end of the day.... Gas equals lighter, longer runtime, and easier power delivery... electric equals quiet, heavier, less runtime, and more overall rip...
viking24
3/21/2022 11:58am
I have a new KTM E-xc, a fun hybrid trials bike. I was greatly disappointed though in the overall battery experience. Trolling around the trails in economy mode is fine for some, but I rip it on elevated track and trail in aggressive mode which gives only around 30min of ride time. the charger has a 220v home dryer type plug with some goofy 20A adapter cord. No plug like that in my garage or generator and 2hr + charge time. It was a real pain in the A**.
Johnny Ringo
3/21/2022 12:04pm
I’m interested in how they’re going to keep it from getting too hot
3/21/2022 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2022 12:14pm
I agree with your estimates, but like Broseph said, the efficiency numbers are too high. A dirt bike is around 15% and surely not more than 20%.
Another thing that should go into the equation is how long a ICE bike lasts with a full tank of gas. How much does a 450 consume in a 30 min moto? A gallon?

Edit:
I‘m really curious too see how long the bike lasts and if it’s a viable option for a day‘s training without a possibility to charge in between motos.
mx317
3/21/2022 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2022 12:12pm
#434 wrote:
I agree with your estimates, but like Broseph said, the efficiency numbers are too high. A dirt bike is around 15% and surely not more than...
I agree with your estimates, but like Broseph said, the efficiency numbers are too high. A dirt bike is around 15% and surely not more than 20%.
Another thing that should go into the equation is how long a ICE bike lasts with a full tank of gas. How much does a 450 consume in a 30 min moto? A gallon?

Edit:
I‘m really curious too see how long the bike lasts and if it’s a viable option for a day‘s training without a possibility to charge in between motos.
How much gas an ICE bike consumes would depend on who is riding it and how wide open they are. A pro can almost drain a tank in 30 minutes +2 laps.
3/21/2022 12:20pm
The videos on the STARK homepage show how the battery is designed. Every single cell is contacted directly by/to the battery housing, so there should be a high heat flux away from the cells to the housing which has a large surface area and fins to get rid of the heat. Should by design be better than the solution Alta had.
It looks like from the photos that the motor and the inverter are water-cooled and that there’s a heat exchanger in the back of the bike.
Gravel
3/21/2022 12:24pm
mx317 wrote:
May be overselling, but I bet it's been tested. By real world, I assume you mean Joe Schmoe riding at XZY racetrack and never reading the...
May be overselling, but I bet it's been tested. By real world, I assume you mean Joe Schmoe riding at XZY racetrack and never reading the owners manual?
I’m interested in knowing how it’ll fit into a 3-5 day camping and riding trip. How much generator capacity and run time is it going to need to ride 2-3 hours a day, and is a 2-3 hour trail ride even possible with real world riding? We go out, sometimes slow, sometimes approaching race speed, climb whatever hills look fun, hit whatever landmarks are in the area and head back to camp. I think that’s what a whole lot of people ride like. If it can’t do that then it’s not ready for my family as anything more than a really cool, very expensive novelty.
Shred
Fantasy
62nd
3/21/2022 12:30pm
I want to get one of these...but I often wait for the second year in a new gen bike...made by manufacturers that have been doing it for the better part of a century... so I sure as hell won’t pay $13,000 to be a beta tester for a brand new company making a brand new bike. I’ll wait and let you guys beta test...then when they fix all of the problems that they will have...then I’m in. Not before that. Also..it will take a decade for this to help track closures because you won’t have enough riding e-bikes to support a track. We need it to happen eventually but there is still time to enjoy the smell and sound of good ole’ dino bikes.
Titan1
3/21/2022 12:40pm
Give me 100 miles of off road range (at A class speeds) either one battery, or a battery set up that can be switched in a minute or less at a pit stop...a price point closer to current ICE bikes...performance (Suspension, handling) equal to/better than current ICE bikes...and a product that isn't from a boutique start up (that will probably go out of business in a few years...ala Alta)...and I'm buying!

I love the electric technology, less maintenance, less noise...I'm excited to own one....but I'm not going to pay $15K for 30 minute battery life, (Possibly?) subpar performance and to a company with no history (I don't want to be without parts/service a few years after buying).
Jeff_Brines
3/21/2022 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2022 1:05pm
Just want to point out "motor efficiency" and "running WOT spinning your tire" are different things. One pertains to how much of the energy is going into kinetic energy (vs thermal) and the other is about actual vehicle efficiency which I am not talking about here (because its equal gas vs electric)
3/21/2022 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2022 2:50pm
Just to keep everything as technically correct as possible: current 450 tank volumes range from 1.58 gallons (7,2 l) on the new 23 KTMs to the Japanese bikes with 1.36-1.38 gallons (6,2-6,3 l).
Edit: Jeff calculated with 1.6 gallons. So that was correct, but also over 1/4 gallon more than the Japanese brands have.
dcg141
3/21/2022 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2022 3:38pm
I have my doubts. There is a lot of R&D money being spent across multiple applications on batteries and E-motors yet a small startup has come across the magic formula. I'm beginning to believe that there is no breakthrough battery tech out there. The automotive side should go all in with hybrids in my opinion. I think what will happen in moto will end looking like a mx/downhill MTB combo. Full size wheels and tires but a much smaller frame. Something in the 120/130 pound range.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
3/22/2022 7:31am
#434 wrote:
The videos on the STARK homepage show how the battery is designed. Every single cell is contacted directly by/to the battery housing, so there should be...
The videos on the STARK homepage show how the battery is designed. Every single cell is contacted directly by/to the battery housing, so there should be a high heat flux away from the cells to the housing which has a large surface area and fins to get rid of the heat. Should by design be better than the solution Alta had.
It looks like from the photos that the motor and the inverter are water-cooled and that there’s a heat exchanger in the back of the bike.
Which will probably work fine until it's muddy. Once the heat sink is covered in mud, those batteries are going to get quite hot.
mxracer515
3/22/2022 12:33pm
Asking for a friend.
On race weekend he burns 2.5 gallons of T4 in his 450 race bike.. Apx 20-25 laps practice on Saturday . 2 classes
on Sunday apx 20 laps. Totaling 40 laps @ 110 sec per lap total 74 minutes of riding or 1 gallon per 29 minutes.

So to save the planet he is gonna buy the Power Max 5000 EV moto bike.
Friday night charge of battery assumed 4kw gen runs 4 hours for charge . ( .71 gallons per hour per an RV forum)
so 2.84 gallons. New bike so battery is at 2% charge.
So he tops off battery in between practices for an assumed hour of run time .71 gallons

He will recharge it sat night to be ready for Sunday so 3 hour assumed to be at full power so 2.13 gallons

Total fuel burnt for an EV moto bike 5.68 gallons. On race weekend.

Possibly he could pull a 30' gooseneck trailer to the track with solar panels on it. Then sell off excess power at the track? How will this charge at night Or sometimes we have clouds? Store it via Battery packs maybe then convert it back to 110v, 220v or what ever is needed??
This truck & trailer is in addition to his Diesel truck & 5th wheel toy hauler. His wife & kids wanted to come.
20 -25 gallons for 200 mile round trip. Each of his 2 trucks.

Power from wall at home , Coal, Gas/ oil, Nuclear , hydro, wind, solar . The last 3 are a drop in the bucket of the supply needed.
He's hopes they don't ban Generators . Or he will need 2-3 spare battery packs for a race weekend. Off road guys 4 with pit stops? 1k, 2k, 3k each??
He has to do something Right? So EV is the answer & no pollution . I'll try to explain this but he is fast not smart>>

The Horse & buggy was replaced naturally as automobile technology became better. This wont be allow to happen that way?
Add in 15k for the bike, He may have to give up Smoking, Drinking , Weed & definitely no side piece to afford all this. First world problems..
Can you help? Any suggestions? All I have for him is give up & get a e- MTN bike. # wut?
stone881
3/22/2022 12:43pm
mxracer515 wrote:
Asking for a friend. On race weekend he burns 2.5 gallons of T4 in his 450 race bike.. Apx 20-25 laps practice on Saturday . 2...
Asking for a friend.
On race weekend he burns 2.5 gallons of T4 in his 450 race bike.. Apx 20-25 laps practice on Saturday . 2 classes
on Sunday apx 20 laps. Totaling 40 laps @ 110 sec per lap total 74 minutes of riding or 1 gallon per 29 minutes.

So to save the planet he is gonna buy the Power Max 5000 EV moto bike.
Friday night charge of battery assumed 4kw gen runs 4 hours for charge . ( .71 gallons per hour per an RV forum)
so 2.84 gallons. New bike so battery is at 2% charge.
So he tops off battery in between practices for an assumed hour of run time .71 gallons

He will recharge it sat night to be ready for Sunday so 3 hour assumed to be at full power so 2.13 gallons

Total fuel burnt for an EV moto bike 5.68 gallons. On race weekend.

Possibly he could pull a 30' gooseneck trailer to the track with solar panels on it. Then sell off excess power at the track? How will this charge at night Or sometimes we have clouds? Store it via Battery packs maybe then convert it back to 110v, 220v or what ever is needed??
This truck & trailer is in addition to his Diesel truck & 5th wheel toy hauler. His wife & kids wanted to come.
20 -25 gallons for 200 mile round trip. Each of his 2 trucks.

Power from wall at home , Coal, Gas/ oil, Nuclear , hydro, wind, solar . The last 3 are a drop in the bucket of the supply needed.
He's hopes they don't ban Generators . Or he will need 2-3 spare battery packs for a race weekend. Off road guys 4 with pit stops? 1k, 2k, 3k each??
He has to do something Right? So EV is the answer & no pollution . I'll try to explain this but he is fast not smart>>

The Horse & buggy was replaced naturally as automobile technology became better. This wont be allow to happen that way?
Add in 15k for the bike, He may have to give up Smoking, Drinking , Weed & definitely no side piece to afford all this. First world problems..
Can you help? Any suggestions? All I have for him is give up & get a e- MTN bike. # wut?
Take up surfing
RaceFace58
3/22/2022 3:23pm
dcg141 wrote:
I have my doubts. There is a lot of R&D money being spent across multiple applications on batteries and E-motors yet a small startup has come...
I have my doubts. There is a lot of R&D money being spent across multiple applications on batteries and E-motors yet a small startup has come across the magic formula. I'm beginning to believe that there is no breakthrough battery tech out there. The automotive side should go all in with hybrids in my opinion. I think what will happen in moto will end looking like a mx/downhill MTB combo. Full size wheels and tires but a much smaller frame. Something in the 120/130 pound range.
I can tell you where Stark messed up big and that’s not having a battery that you can swap out. The Japanese brands are planning the use of swappable batteries. Swapping out batteries I believe will be how these get raced not charging between motos. I don’t recall Anton’s reasoning for that but seems very short-sighted to me. As I type with an iPhone that claimed a 6 day charge that I have to keep plugged in to use it for an hour.
RaceFace58
3/22/2022 4:16pm
Scrallex stick to the thread where you only want positives. I’m staying out of there as promised. I actually am not against electric bikes though I doubt I’ll ever own one. It’s more all the glowing heaps of praise I see thrown upon a bike that is just a prototype right now by those like you that really makes me hope it falls way short of the goal. I wanted a Cannondale when I first saw the design and promise. After a few tests and news reports, reality set in. I was just reading the same crazy threads about the Alta talking about how good they’ll make the future generations of it and how the price will come down in 5 years. Well, I guess they were right about the price.
Yeti831
3/22/2022 4:39pm
This board: “55hp 450s are way too excessive. Nobody will ever use them to their full potential and are more than most riders need or can handle.”

Also this board: “hey, look at this electric bike with a 60hp and 80hp model. Especially with the instant torque that isn’t rpm dependent, it will dominate 450s. I can’t wait until they have more availability.”
trace704
3/22/2022 4:46pm
I’m just a dumb ass dirt biker but this is my take on the whole E bike scenario. Correct me if I’m wrong.

To get this.

You have to do that.

But this is worthless.

Without that.

So no matter what, to ride this.

I need that.

So why don’t I just put that.

In that.

Post a reply to: Stark's (crazy) claims and the reality of off road EVs

The Latest