Star YZ450 8lbs Lighter!!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2021 7:28 AM

According to Keefer the Star 450 has lost 8lbs from the Factory Yamaha bike of last year.

What in the hell would Star be doing to lose that much weight that the Factory Team wouldn't have?

I mean that is A LOT.

Photo

|

1/22/2021 7:34 AM

Are they running air forks like their 250s?

|

Mantis Toboggan, M.D

1/22/2021 7:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2021 8:00 AM

Dimblewambie wrote:

That would be a good start, as far as losing weight. That is a massive difference though. If true, very impressive that they could trim that off and not effect the balance of the bike or reliability. But the bikes look good so far.

|

1/22/2021 8:22 AM

It’s not even that star has done it, but that factory Yamaha didn’t.

There’s guys on this forum that have done builds showing how they sweat every detail and lose serious weight on the bikes for their own personal bikes, without huge sponsors and factory dollars.

|

1/22/2021 8:25 AM

Dimblewambie wrote:

Plessinger always was. Barcia ran spring A kit. I would assume that Dylan is running PSF1 as well as AP, probably the mookster as well. Even then, what is that 3lbs? They trimmed weight elsewhere for sure.

|

1/22/2021 9:24 AM

It's actually closer to 10lbs lighter...

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

1/22/2021 9:32 AM

Luxon MX wrote:

wtf thats a lot?!!

|

1/22/2021 9:39 AM

The people that were in charge of the in house factory 450 team should be ashamed if that is the case.

|

1/22/2021 9:45 AM

Motofinne wrote:

The people that were in charge of the in house factory 450 team should be ashamed if that is the case.

Why? Different management, and most likely more creative engineering freedom.

|

1/22/2021 9:56 AM

Dimblewambie wrote:

Zycki11 wrote:

Plessinger always was. Barcia ran spring A kit. I would assume that Dylan is running PSF1 as well as AP, probably the mookster as well. Even then, what is that 3lbs? They trimmed weight elsewhere for sure.

It's enough weight that KTM has refused to go back to a spring fork according to Keefer.

|

I work to provide for my family, I ride to keep my sanity.

1/22/2021 9:57 AM

Motofinne wrote:

DudeImSoRad wrote:

Why? Different management, and most likely more creative engineering freedom.

I think "people in charge" probably refers to management.

|

1/22/2021 9:57 AM

Luxon MX wrote:

Bingo

|

1/22/2021 10:19 AM

Because for decades Yamaha race management only wanted to do it their way. They thought they were smarter than everyone else. Star only cares about winning and will do whatever gives their riders the best chance of winning, no matter whose part or product they have to use.

|

1/22/2021 10:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2021 10:38 AM

Dude if your a factory rider there should be no reason to not be right on the weight limit. Why would you give up any advantage to your competition. I really hope the factory team didn't have the attitude like some vital guys who think loosing weight is not an advantage. Cant wait to see Mookie and Ferandis running strong.

Maybe some things will come down to the production level and soon we will see a 450 with yamaha craftsmanship at 222lbs and with SSS!!!!!

|

1/22/2021 10:46 AM

Dimblewambie wrote:

Zycki11 wrote:

Timo wrote:

It's enough weight that KTM has refused to go back to a spring fork according to Keefer.

I assume your talking production? The factory teams are running 52mm spring forks I thought?

|

1/22/2021 10:52 AM

Photo

I'm straight up guessing here...

PSF1 Air forks vs Works Spring forks?
Carbon hubs?
FMF Exhaust vs PC?
Neken clamps/bars vs stock?
Different plastic/thinner graphics?
Lighter seat?
Lighter battery/ECU/Electrical, less data collection bits?
Maybe a smaller fuel tank?
Copious amounts of Ti?
And of course who knows if they were able to make that engine lighter?

All guesses here, but lightening a Jap 450 is a fantastic way to gain performance get rider comfort closer to the Austrian level. If it's true they shaved 8 pounds off Barcia's last race bike, I could imagine those Star guys are in heaven compared to what the Works effort was last racing.
|

1/22/2021 11:00 AM

twotwosix wrote: Photo

Carbon hubs?
FMF Exhaust vs PC?
Lighter seat?
Copious amounts of Ti?

All guesses here, but lightening a Jap 450 is a fantastic way to gain performance get rider comfort closer to the Austrian level. If it's true they shaved 8 pounds off Barcia's last race bike, I could imagine those Star guys are in heaven compared to what the Works effort was last racing.

I don't see Neken anything

|

1/22/2021 11:12 AM

crowe660 wrote:

They switched to Pro Taper this year

|

1/22/2021 11:19 AM

Hydrogen filled frame and swingarm bros. Just be careful not to smoke near their pits

|

1/22/2021 11:22 AM

twotwosix wrote: Photo

Carbon hubs?
FMF Exhaust vs PC?
Lighter seat?
Copious amounts of Ti?

crowe660 wrote:

Photo
|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

1/22/2021 12:00 PM

Just imagine Yamaha making 10lbs lighter 450f for people to buy...

|

1/22/2021 12:02 PM

Metallic blue anodized carbon hubs?
Yeah, right.

|

1/22/2021 12:06 PM

LungButter wrote:

According to Keefer the Star 450 has lost 8lbs from the Factory Yamaha bike of last year.

What in the hell would Star be doing to lose that much weight that the Factory Team wouldn't have?

I mean that is A LOT.

Photo

Is the weight loss claim based on last year’s “factory” YZ450, or is it the amount of weight that Star has shaved off of their actual bikes since those exact bikes left the production factory?

It’s not exactly written very specifically.

|

1/22/2021 12:07 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

Is the weight loss claim based on last year’s “factory” YZ450, or is it the amount of weight that Star has shaved off of their actual bikes since those exact bikes left the production factory?

I read it as lighter than the Factory Bike from last year and Plessinger also mentioned in an interview somewhere how the bike was lighter....albeit he did not give a figure like Keefer and others here have.

|

1/22/2021 12:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2021 12:14 PM

LungButter wrote:

I mean that is A LOT.

Photo

APLMAN99 wrote:

LungButter wrote:

I read it as lighter than the Factory Bike from last year and Plessinger also mentioned in an interview somewhere how the bike was lighter....albeit he did not give a figure like Keefer and others here have.

Yeah, I think that most read it that way and it could be that that’s what it means, but it isn’t really clear.

I can believe that they’ve shaved SOME weight, but the number sounds more like off the production machine to me. I’ve never seen it, but does the AMA reveal the tech inspection results of weight and sound anywhere? That’d probably get as real of a number as possible, I’d suppose.

Either way it’s great to see that no matter the weight that the Star riders have a very competitive machine to compete on!!!

|

1/22/2021 12:20 PM

Can't imagine that much weight shavings could have come without removing steel from the engine. Similarly, I can't imagine the factory not running a three-speed trans for SX, but maybe that's where Star found some of the pounds to loose.

|

1/22/2021 12:24 PM

LungButter wrote:

I mean that is A LOT.

Photo

APLMAN99 wrote:

The weight loss claim is based on losing weight from the factory team Yamaha bike that Barcia an AP were on last year. It been mentioned several times that the Star team went hard at work to lose the weight and that was one of their biggest goals with the YZ450F. It is impressive how much they weight loss they were able to accomplish.

Here's a link to a podcast SwapMoto did with Star team manager Jermey Coker recently and he mentions the weight savings around the 7 minute mark. Its a good listen.

https://www.swapmotolive.com/jeremy-coker-on-the-swapmoto-podcast/podcasts/swapmoto-podcast/

|

1/22/2021 12:25 PM

ZOBITO wrote:

Metallic blue anodized carbon hubs?
Yeah, right.

Photo
|

1/22/2021 12:32 PM

Ceramic bearings and a 3 speed gear box?

|

1/22/2021 12:37 PM

LungButter wrote:

I mean that is A LOT.

Photo

APLMAN99 wrote:

ROCKKET wrote:

The weight loss claim is based on losing weight from the factory team Yamaha bike that Barcia an AP were on last year. It been mentioned several times that the Star team went hard at work to lose the weight and that was one of their biggest goals with the YZ450F. It is impressive how much they weight loss they were able to accomplish.

Here's a link to a podcast SwapMoto did with Star team manager Jermey Coker recently and he mentions the weight savings around the 7 minute mark. Its a good listen.

https://www.swapmotolive.com/jeremy-coker-on-the-swapmoto-podcast/podcasts/swapmoto-podcast/

Thanks! Yeah, that interview sounded like 5+, so I suppose that 8 isn’t out of the question.

It’d still be interesting if the official tech inspection numbers were available to see what sort of difference each manufacturer and team shave off each of their production bikes.

|