Stank Dog- the Ultimate 2-stroke Hero

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2017 5:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2017 5:48 PM

Could anybody have devised a better 2-stroke story? A dude that looks like a throwback from the late 70s/early 80s, runs a leaf blower for spare money, with no significant sponsorship and invited only on a whim-- comes out and beats a top motocross champion and takes the Gold in front of adoring fans. It's the second coming of the two-stroke!
New fan right here. As an old two-stroke guy, I am loving Stank Dog and Mike Brown right now.
Good interview: http://racerxonline.com/2017/10/26/privateer-profile-gared-steinke

Photo

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

10/26/2017 6:32 PM

Steinke is the man

|

10/26/2017 8:17 PM

dude had me up and cheering every single lap

can't think of another rider that deep in any field that i made note of and actively rooted for him to keep on trucking.

he's
God bless him for running a 2 stroke against that field.

it's a great niche and he deserves all the love he's got coming to him

showing up and winning the rim skin? hell yeah STANK DIZZLE!

|

10/26/2017 8:26 PM

Man I know he's a well known privateer, but dude... He killed that course! Much respect to any AMA Pro, but I have a new opinion of this guy.. Very talented!

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

10/26/2017 8:31 PM

The people's champ. He's awesome. Just wish he would give the 250sx a try all summer. He'd be at a little less of a disadvantage. It would probably also be cheaper to run than the 125.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/26/2017 8:40 PM

Photo

|

A big Thank you to FLY racing. OMA KTM. 100%. DT-1 Motorex and Bell helmets . Racing for you JG96

10/26/2017 8:41 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

The people's champ. He's awesome. Just wish he would give the 250sx a try all summer. He'd be at a little less of a disadvantage. It would probably also be cheaper to run than the 125.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

He wdnt turn down you sponsoring him on a smoker.

|

10/26/2017 8:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2017 8:49 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

The people's champ. He's awesome. Just wish he would give the 250sx a try all summer. He'd be at a little less of a disadvantage. It would probably also be cheaper to run than the 125.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

mxb2 wrote:

He wdnt turn down you sponsoring him on a smoker.

Believe me I would if I could. He already rides the 125 so switching to the 250 shouldn't be that complicated or different from his current program. Besides I'd say he did really well on one not that long ago. He clearly knows how to ride one.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/26/2017 8:53 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

The people's champ. He's awesome. Just wish he would give the 250sx a try all summer. He'd be at a little less of a disadvantage. It would probably also be cheaper to run than the 125.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

mxb2 wrote:

He wdnt turn down you sponsoring him on a smoker.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Believe me I would if I could. He already rides the 125 so switching to the 250 shouldn't be that complicated or different from his current program. Besides I'd say he did really well on one not that long ago. He clearly knows how to ride one.

He accepts donations grin grin ,. He s a good dude also.

|

10/27/2017 1:17 AM

I have already said this before but I think Steinke is the kind of guy what ours sport really needs today. He has great personality and riding skills and not be afraid to be different. I'ts much easier for a weekend warrior like me to relate to him than the current factory superstars. I hope he will get some support from KTM and carry on racing with two strokes.

|

10/27/2017 1:23 AM

Do you know what i would love to see.

I want to see Stank Dog race a whole season of EMX 300. Do a documentary of it, Stank Dog living in a van going through Europe racing other 2 smokers.

|

10/27/2017 2:05 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Do you know what i would love to see.

I want to see Stank Dog race a whole season of EMX 300. Do a documentary of it, Stank Dog living in a van going through Europe racing other 2 smokers.

Yeah thatd be awesome.

Also surely we can collectively kick in enough for a bike and he can run Vitard stickers

|

10/27/2017 3:00 AM

EMX 300 series doco would be the best!



|

10/27/2017 3:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 3:12 AM

Stank dog is a god damn legend.

I'd rather see him do the Nationals on his SX250, Driven To Ride style. The bike would be a lot more competitive than his 125 in the 250 class. I'd bet he makes every moto and scores points in half of them.

|

*Anyone but Reed or Webb Crew*

10/27/2017 10:18 AM

KTM should just tell the AMA that he's gonna race a 150cc in the 250 class. Then he can at least race a 150cc against the 250f's and be at a little less of a disadvantage. The AMA's world would still probably fall apart if they were to institute displacement parity in the class like practically every other proMX series in the world has already done.

|

10/28/2017 5:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/28/2017 6:13 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Do you know what i would love to see.

I want to see Stank Dog race a whole season of EMX 300. Do a documentary of it, Stank Dog living in a van going through Europe racing other 2 smokers.

Not sure you want to go through in a van in certain countries in europe dude. Atleast not the south east part. The north and west part of europe for sure!

|

10/28/2017 5:48 AM

mikebrownsound wrote:

Not sure you want to go through in a van in certain countries in europe dude. Atleast not the south east part. The north and west part of europe for sure!

Not being familiar, why?

|

9/6/2018 2:15 PM

Nobody really cares about anyone outside the top ten, unless your Stank dog straight outa an old school VHS porno. It’s really crazy how much everybody loves stank. So disappointed hearing that he gets no support from KTM, what a fucking joke. Guy has more loyal fans and followers than Dungey and Musquin put together. It really bothers me that KTM won’t throw him any sort of bone. If not cash, the least ktm could do is build him a decent bike since he’s the only one representing a two stroke. Stank gets Nada even after taking down Villopoto at straight rythem. Guys a true badass. When I see stank I’m buying him a beer. He’ll wax em again at straight rythem on his own dime I’m sure

|

9/6/2018 2:26 PM

SidewayzMike wrote:

Nobody really cares about anyone outside the top ten, unless your Stank dog straight outa an old school VHS porno. It’s really crazy how much everybody loves stank. So disappointed hearing that he gets no support from KTM, what a fucking joke. Guy has more loyal fans and followers than Dungey and Musquin put together. It really bothers me that KTM won’t throw him any sort of bone. If not cash, the least ktm could do is build him a decent bike since he’s the only one representing a two stroke. Stank gets Nada even after taking down Villopoto at straight rythem. Guys a true badass. When I see stank I’m buying him a beer. He’ll wax em again at straight rythem on his own dime I’m sure

He probably would like a donation before a beer. Or get some friends together and buy him a bike. Good exposure for you and him.

|

9/6/2018 3:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 3:17 PM

I’m sure he is getting some help boys. It’s a cut throat sport. He knows how to get bikes paid for. I’ve thrown money into his PayPal account before....

|

GP740
Since 1987

9/6/2018 3:40 PM

SidewayzMike wrote:

Nobody really cares about anyone outside the top ten, unless your Stank dog straight outa an old school VHS porno. It’s really crazy how much everybody loves stank. So disappointed hearing that he gets no support from KTM, what a fucking joke. Guy has more loyal fans and followers than Dungey and Musquin put together. It really bothers me that KTM won’t throw him any sort of bone. If not cash, the least ktm could do is build him a decent bike since he’s the only one representing a two stroke. Stank gets Nada even after taking down Villopoto at straight rythem. Guys a true badass. When I see stank I’m buying him a beer. He’ll wax em again at straight rythem on his own dime I’m sure

I get you. But there are way better 2 stroke riders out there who would be way in front of him in the line to ktm 2 stroke support , Aldridge for example.

|

9/6/2018 3:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 3:54 PM

SidewayzMike wrote:

Nobody really cares about anyone outside the top ten, unless your Stank dog straight outa an old school VHS porno. It’s really crazy how much everybody loves stank. So disappointed hearing that he gets no support from KTM, what a fucking joke. Guy has more loyal fans and followers than Dungey and Musquin put together. It really bothers me that KTM won’t throw him any sort of bone. If not cash, the least ktm could do is build him a decent bike since he’s the only one representing a two stroke. Stank gets Nada even after taking down Villopoto at straight rythem. Guys a true badass. When I see stank I’m buying him a beer. He’ll wax em again at straight rythem on his own dime I’m sure

Rs444 wrote:

I get you. But there are way better 2 stroke riders out there who would be way in front of him in the line to ktm 2 stroke support , Aldridge for example.

Does Alldredge have a following like Stankdog? MX isn't always about the results. Case and point: Steinke. He built a following, won straight rhythm last year and gets some of the loudest cheers around the track.

On another note, with AX gone does anyone know what his winter plans are?

Edit: Alldredge 22.6k Instagram followers, Stankdog 108k Instagram followers. That also plays a part in getting support.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/6/2018 4:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 4:44 PM

SidewayzMike wrote:

Nobody really cares about anyone outside the top ten, unless your Stank dog straight outa an old school VHS porno. It’s really crazy how much everybody loves stank. So disappointed hearing that he gets no support from KTM, what a fucking joke. Guy has more loyal fans and followers than Dungey and Musquin put together. It really bothers me that KTM won’t throw him any sort of bone. If not cash, the least ktm could do is build him a decent bike since he’s the only one representing a two stroke. Stank gets Nada even after taking down Villopoto at straight rythem. Guys a true badass. When I see stank I’m buying him a beer. He’ll wax em again at straight rythem on his own dime I’m sure

Rs444 wrote:

I get you. But there are way better 2 stroke riders out there who would be way in front of him in the line to ktm 2 stroke support , Aldridge for example.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Does Alldredge have a following like Stankdog? MX isn't always about the results. Case and point: Steinke. He built a following, won straight rhythm last year and gets some of the loudest cheers around the track.

On another note, with AX gone does anyone know what his winter plans are?

Edit: Alldredge 22.6k Instagram followers, Stankdog 108k Instagram followers. That also plays a part in getting support.

It doesnt matter. Steinke aint good enough to get factory support, results is whats matter if ur not an ex-champion who could increase bike sales by being a brand ambassadour..

None of the factories cares about insta followers if u still cant get into the top 20. Take mookie as an example, the dude has over 600k insta followers, herling vad about half of that but who do you Think have sold more bikes?, the dude who wins championship and is on his way to become the next goat or the dude who is struggling to get into top 10 and have been without a ride for years except for some fill ins up to now!?. Who the f in his or hers right mind would actually rather buy a bike based on what friggin Joe dirt rides and dnf's on half the time while struggling to get into top 25 than after seeing a top rider smashing 80% of the competiton on the same bike?. Money talks, simple as that and steinke does not sell bikes..

|

9/6/2018 4:57 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

Could anybody have devised a better 2-stroke story? A dude that looks like a throwback from the late 70s/early 80s, runs a leaf blower for spare money, with no significant sponsorship and invited only on a whim-- comes out and beats a top motocross champion and takes the Gold in front of adoring fans. It's the second coming of the two-stroke!
New fan right here. As an old two-stroke guy, I am loving Stank Dog and Mike Brown right now.
Good interview: http://racerxonline.com/2017/10/26/privateer-profile-gared-steinke

Photo

A KTM 250 2-stroke....7 grand. The cost of travel to the Pomona, CA fairgrounds....$700. Matching fuschia Fly Jersey and helmet.....$600. A picture of you mocking the 4X supercross champion......PRICELESS!

|

9/6/2018 5:58 PM

The series Tom Journet did on youtube when he was riding the TC125 outdoors was awesome to watch. Dude looks like he has an absolute blast riding dirt bikes and being the fan favorite. Surely doesn't make a ton of money but he seems like the type of guy that knows money isn't a necessity to have a good life. He's just what our sport needs.

|

9/6/2018 5:59 PM

Rs444 wrote:

I get you. But there are way better 2 stroke riders out there who would be way in front of him in the line to ktm 2 stroke support , Aldridge for example.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Does Alldredge have a following like Stankdog? MX isn't always about the results. Case and point: Steinke. He built a following, won straight rhythm last year and gets some of the loudest cheers around the track.

On another note, with AX gone does anyone know what his winter plans are?

Edit: Alldredge 22.6k Instagram followers, Stankdog 108k Instagram followers. That also plays a part in getting support.

Rs444 wrote:

It doesnt matter. Steinke aint good enough to get factory support, results is whats matter if ur not an ex-champion who could increase bike sales by being a brand ambassadour..

None of the factories cares about insta followers if u still cant get into the top 20. Take mookie as an example, the dude has over 600k insta followers, herling vad about half of that but who do you Think have sold more bikes?, the dude who wins championship and is on his way to become the next goat or the dude who is struggling to get into top 10 and have been without a ride for years except for some fill ins up to now!?. Who the f in his or hers right mind would actually rather buy a bike based on what friggin Joe dirt rides and dnf's on half the time while struggling to get into top 25 than after seeing a top rider smashing 80% of the competiton on the same bike?. Money talks, simple as that and steinke does not sell bikes..

Well then, you better get to it and start messaging all those freestylers/freeriders and let them know to stop wasting their time and start lining up at the races because what they're doing is not helping the companies sell bikes, gear, etc.

I don't think you know how marketing works.

Things have changed. It's not the 80's, 90's or the early-mid 2000's anymore. A social media presence is important.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/6/2018 6:08 PM

Thank you for recognizing the significance of my original post by resurrecting it. Mac to the Future has only solidified the legendness of Stank Dog.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

9/6/2018 6:13 PM

Reed will be more of a threat than RV. Look at the history books of 2 stroke.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

9/6/2018 6:16 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

Could anybody have devised a better 2-stroke story? A dude that looks like a throwback from the late 70s/early 80s, runs a leaf blower for spare money, with no significant sponsorship and invited only on a whim-- comes out and beats a top motocross champion and takes the Gold in front of adoring fans. It's the second coming of the two-stroke!
New fan right here. As an old two-stroke guy, I am loving Stank Dog and Mike Brown right now.
Good interview: http://racerxonline.com/2017/10/26/privateer-profile-gared-steinke

Photo

Motoxdoc wrote:

A KTM 250 2-stroke....7 grand. The cost of travel to the Pomona, CA fairgrounds....$700. Matching fuschia Fly Jersey and helmet.....$600. A picture of you mocking the 4X supercross champion......PRICELESS!

The look on RVs face that day was similar to this.

Photo

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

9/7/2018 5:40 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Does Alldredge have a following like Stankdog? MX isn't always about the results. Case and point: Steinke. He built a following, won straight rhythm last year and gets some of the loudest cheers around the track.

On another note, with AX gone does anyone know what his winter plans are?

Edit: Alldredge 22.6k Instagram followers, Stankdog 108k Instagram followers. That also plays a part in getting support.

Rs444 wrote:

It doesnt matter. Steinke aint good enough to get factory support, results is whats matter if ur not an ex-champion who could increase bike sales by being a brand ambassadour..

None of the factories cares about insta followers if u still cant get into the top 20. Take mookie as an example, the dude has over 600k insta followers, herling vad about half of that but who do you Think have sold more bikes?, the dude who wins championship and is on his way to become the next goat or the dude who is struggling to get into top 10 and have been without a ride for years except for some fill ins up to now!?. Who the f in his or hers right mind would actually rather buy a bike based on what friggin Joe dirt rides and dnf's on half the time while struggling to get into top 25 than after seeing a top rider smashing 80% of the competiton on the same bike?. Money talks, simple as that and steinke does not sell bikes..

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Well then, you better get to it and start messaging all those freestylers/freeriders and let them know to stop wasting their time and start lining up at the races because what they're doing is not helping the companies sell bikes, gear, etc.

I don't think you know how marketing works.

Things have changed. It's not the 80's, 90's or the early-mid 2000's anymore. A social media presence is important.

The thing is tho that pretty much every factory sponsored fmx rider competes on the top level in fmx. Hell even freeriders like hodges is a top dude in x games qp and whip and most freestylers/freeriders aint factory sponsored except for a few top dudes, legends and some brand ambassadeurs who used top be at the top in fmx.

|