Standard length motovan - I know, I know, another van build.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/23/2017 9:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2017 12:50 PM

I've been building this E-150 for a couple of months and wanted to show you guys some ideas for people thinking of buying a standard length moto van.
Well back to the situation of why I ended up deciding to buy and build a moto van.

I was at my GF house and had my 2 dirt bikes in the back of my truck. I went inside to get some food while I left my truck outside, my whole visited lasted around 45 minutes and in that time my two bikes almost got hijacked by some stupid motherf***rs. Thank god I went to my truck to retrieve my wallet and encountered 2 kids trying to unload my bike out of my truck. I quickly sprinted to catch them, but had a sore leg from that day of riding and wasn't even able to keep up with them. My girl and I thought about how crazy that situation was and at the moment I knew I needed a van in my life.

I was waiting for a perfect condition extended van with low miles, mint condition and under 5k. Well, you guys should know I was pretty much asking for a unicorn. After 3 months of looking relentlessly everyday craigslist, I encountered a standard E150 2005, 70k miles for 5,700 mint condition and we had to jump on that deal.

I was afraid that I might regret the decision of going standard length, but I went for it and guess what? I'm in route to a standard van that can fit 3 bikes (4 with hitch receiver) and have a sleeper sofa without the use of an extended van.

Pros of having a van:
- no more rain hitting my bike before or after the track
- peace of mind
- don't have to unload
- can camp and road trip in it
- no need for the trailer
- it's a van
- might give away free candy

Cons:
- mpg

Please feel free to chime in with any ideas or steal mine if you want.
Well let's stop the writing and show the pictures:

here is the van that was purchased:
Photo

Put the bike in and at least it fits.
Photo

Photo

The van had these ugly gray front and rear bumpers with gray wheels, so I went to work with the matte black paint.
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Took out the rubber floor to fix some underneath rust:

Photo

Photo

Photo

I was going to put wood on the door panels but went with aluminum and pasted some cardboard on the back for noise reduction. It was a cleaner finish, not easy damageable and can get wet.

Photo

Added a table on this side door of the van to make some sandwiches maybe even put a grill on top got the lock hinges on amazon, for the table I bought a bamboo cutting board so it would look professional and fit perfectly without me trying to pull my carpenter skills.

Photo

Wall build, I wanted to maximize as much space as I could so we built the partition wall with a slant to it. The slant will be where the people who are sitting in the back will put their back against, there will be cushions but that is next to come. The window works to see if everything is okay in the back or if you need to grab something real quick without having to stop and get out. I wanted a shelf on top to store miscellaneous for trips. Pretty much I was asking for a lot but was going to try anyway.
The wall is a good idea to not get headaches from gas fumes and be able to store the bikes without the inconvenience of mud, gas, oil, etc in the sleeping and driving area. I met a guy one time with a van that said after the day of riding moto and storing the bikes back in the van the car would smell like a gas nozzle for the next 40 mins until all the air went out the front 2 windows.
I asked myself in a situation where it's raining and you can't put the windows down, The gas smell is going to be disgusting, I was willing to avoid that situation at all cost. (Disclaimer: my girlfriend hates gas smell, for this reason, the wall had to done)

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

LED lights for some good lighting. I connected them to the 12-volt cable that runs to the back light.

Sprayed foam on the side to finalize the insulation and finish the wall build. Will probably still have to buy some water proof wood chemical to spray over the back part of the wall.

Photo

Photo

talk about precision.

Photo

Waterproofed the wall, set up e-tracks stole a broom from my job and finished insulating the wall completely.

Photo

Photo

All packed up for race day.

Photo

Now the front part of the van has become a headache and I can see the finish line. I installed the plywood on the side, and put a all marine carpet that they sell in home depot.

Photo

Photo

Photo

In the next few days, im gonna be building the futon and trying to finish the front section.

|

Damn!

2/23/2017 10:08 AM

Boom! Hell yeah man, great job!

I bought my moto van last year and love the thing. Never ever will I transport moto any other way.

|

2/23/2017 12:08 PM

Markee wrote:

I bought my moto van last year and love the thing. Never ever will I transport moto any other way.

The only thing they are missing is to have an MPG equivalent to a prius.

|

Damn!

2/23/2017 12:30 PM

Thank you for the pics! I just linked this thread to one of my carpenters and told him to make it happen in my van this weekend!

|

2/23/2017 12:43 PM

shakazulu12 wrote:

Thank you for the pics! I just linked this thread to one of my carpenters and told him to make it happen in my van this weekend!

For sure! gotta maximize all the space you can get.

|

Damn!

2/23/2017 12:45 PM

I even have an extended van, but I've literally spent months just staring at it trying to visualize how I wanted it. Yours just made sense immediately to me.

|

2/23/2017 1:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2017 1:04 PM

shakazulu12 wrote:

I even have an extended van, but I've literally spent months just staring at it trying to visualize how I wanted it. Yours just made sense immediately to me.

I really just thought about the people sitting in the back of the van and could imagine all of them complaining of how the backrest and the chair are at an exactly 90-degree angle.
The idea of the shelf was one of the best so far, would recommend doing that one, but you have to be careful to not go to low on it because the bikes won't fit or too long and the levers will rub.

|

Damn!

2/23/2017 1:07 PM

Markee wrote:

ab wrote:

The only thing they are missing is to have an MPG equivalent to a prius.

I bought a used 05 sprinter and got busy on the conversion. Loaded down it gets 24mpg.

|

2/23/2017 1:08 PM

Every van should have a sandwich table

|

KX125

2/23/2017 1:18 PM

Markee wrote:

I bought a used 05 sprinter and got busy on the conversion. Loaded down it gets 24mpg.

I gotta drive like a granny to get 16-17mpg and that's on a lucky day

|

Damn!

2/23/2017 1:20 PM

HenryA wrote:

Every van should have a sandwich table

its under the 101 of building a motovan

|

Damn!

2/23/2017 3:09 PM

VERY NICE

Congratulations to you.

|

2/23/2017 4:01 PM

I just found a passenger van with 25 k original miles for 7k. Thinking about pulling the trigger myself. Great work man

|

2/23/2017 4:07 PM

jtiger12 wrote:

I just found a passenger van with 25 k original miles for 7k. Thinking about pulling the trigger myself. Great work man

Do it! Try to get it to 6k.
Every van we looked at had 170k+ miles, 25k is practically out the dealership

|

Damn!

2/23/2017 4:08 PM

Good work!

|

2/23/2017 4:14 PM

Very nice! You and I sir think a lot alike. What kind of "craptastic" fake business name are you going to label it with?

|

RTFM & AYFV

2/23/2017 4:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2017 4:20 PM

Ab septic service.
"Your garbage is our gold"

Dual meaning...

|

2/23/2017 4:56 PM

jtiger12 wrote:

Ab septic service.

Dual meaning...

Haha perfect. That should prevent a few would be thieves.

|

2/23/2017 4:59 PM

jtiger12 wrote:

Ab septic service.

Dual meaning...

LMAOO. That name spraypainted on both sides is guaranteed to get me pulled over.

I've been thinking about wrapping it a flat color and putting rims on it, but no need to call that much attention to the van.

|

Damn!

2/24/2017 2:40 AM

Nice! For what reason did you choose to use wood instead of metal for the divider? Does the wood get flimsy when you tie your bikes to it? Have you considered using marine carpet on both sides to protect the wood a little bit better? Cheers!

|

2/24/2017 4:37 AM

Knoby wrote:

Very nice! You and I sir think a lot alike. What kind of "craptastic" fake business name are you going to label it with?

Nice build. What engine is in your van?

Florida Port-a-Potties: Where customer service is No. 1 and No. 2.

|

2/24/2017 4:41 AM

I just picked up this new Moto van . Should be a fun project Photo

|

A big Thank you to FLY racing. OMA KTM. 100%. DT-1 Motorex and Bell helmets . Racing for you JG96

2/24/2017 5:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2017 5:22 AM

mingham97 wrote:

Nice! For what reason did you choose to use wood instead of metal for the divider? Does the wood get flimsy when you tie your bikes to it? Have you considered using marine carpet on both sides to protect the wood a little bit better? Cheers!

I choose wood because it was easier to handle, cut and install. I bought the thickest and strongest plywood they had in homedepot. As of right now the wood has no sign of bending and seems to be holding up really good. The trick to prevent any bending is having a lot of anchor points to a firm suface.
I waterproofed the back side to prevent the wood from getting water damaged and sprayed flex seal to the bottom part.
Putting carpet in the back could be an issue because it gets really dirty and dusty back there, I am thinking of painting it one solid color so it doesn't look as ugly as it looks right now.

|

Damn!

2/24/2017 5:23 AM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

Nice build. What engine is in your van?

Florida Port-a-Potties: Where customer service is No. 1 and No. 2.

It's a 4.6 v8. It has a good kick in it an de currently it only has 70k miles

|

Damn!

2/24/2017 5:25 AM

OR Racer46 wrote:

I just picked up this new Moto van . Should be a fun project Photo

That is f***** sweet. I can't fit one of those in my garage but if I Could I would have bought one

|

Damn!

2/24/2017 5:31 AM

ab wrote:

It's a 4.6 v8. It has a good kick in it an de currently it only has 70k miles

That's a solid engine although a bit weak. I sold my '01 F-150 with the same engine which had 310k miles on it. Just change the plugs once in a while to avoid any spark plug seizures or blowouts.

|

2/24/2017 6:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2017 11:25 AM

Looking good, building a motovan is a lot of fun and you can make it exactly like you want it. I am re-doing my motovan because the back area has seen better days so its time to freshen it up.cool

|

Ed Johnson

2/24/2017 6:23 AM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

That's a solid engine although a bit weak. I sold my '01 F-150 with the same engine which had 310k miles on it. Just change the plugs once in a while to avoid any spark plug seizures or blowouts.

They probably are due, I should look into that before I road trip to Tennessee for the MX national.

|

Damn!

2/24/2017 6:32 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

Looking good, building a motovan is a lot of fun and you can make it exactly like you want it. I am re-doing my motovan because the back area has seen better days so its time to freshen it up.cool

I was torn in between a nice F150 or a moto van and decided to go with my gut. Don't regret the decision one bit.

|

Damn!

2/24/2017 6:55 AM

Excellent.

Not every rig has to cost $ 50k plus.

|