Stacyc overheating

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2019 10:44 AM

SEE ARE125 wrote:

From what I recall, the LED means two different things. First, as I’m sure you know, whatever color the LED is when not giving it throttle is the power mode it’s on.
Red = Low
Yellow= Medium
Green = Fast

Then when you turn the throttle, the LED will change to indicate battery level.
Green = Full battery
Yellow = Partially full battery
Red = Low Battery

Again, it’s been a while since I read the manual, but that’s how I remember it.

Got it thanks. Then yea my sons overheats also. I just always thought the battery died. He also rides in the grass and mini track. He gets a good 20-30 minute session before it’s stops.

|

10/3/2019 11:24 AM

I see one guy has the issue with the 12”, is everyone else on the 16”? Like I said, I have the 12” and haven’t had an issue. I’m wondering if the larger wheels are causing extra stress on the motor? I’m assuming both bikes are the same aside from wheel size? If they are, they should consider beefing up the 16” motor and ESC and possibly different gearing. Larger wheels and larger/heavier kids, it just makes sense it should be built accordingly.

|

10/3/2019 12:40 PM

SEE ARE125 wrote:

I see one guy has the issue with the 12”, is everyone else on the 16”? Like I said, I have the 12” and haven’t had an issue. I’m wondering if the larger wheels are causing extra stress on the motor? I’m assuming both bikes are the same aside from wheel size? If they are, they should consider beefing up the 16” motor and ESC and possibly different gearing. Larger wheels and larger/heavier kids, it just makes sense it should be built accordingly.

Different wheels, frame, ESC, motor, gear box (ratio), battery (2Ah vs 4 Ah) Maybe some other things? They have a 5Ah battery that you can use on both bikes.

|

10/3/2019 12:45 PM

for the price these are id expect it to go on grass, what kid is just gonna ride pavement? its clearly just cheap nasty components

|

10/3/2019 1:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2019 1:04 PM

I want Stacyc to succeed so if this is a common problem I sincerely hope they develop a fix. Whether that be a cooling system or just better quality components doesn't really matter to me. I want more kids riding motorcycles and this could be such a great gateway to that.

My son was greatly discouraged when his bike stopped working yesterday and we ended up playing on the playground with his bike just sitting at the picnic table. I understand that the manual says that the bike is not designed for going off-road or in grass but I don't think riding it purely on concrete is realistic. Parent's are going to want their kids to ride in the grass so it doesn't hurt as much when they fall over. The Oset handles the grass just fine so I know the technology is possible. The Oset is more expensive than the Stacy but it also has full suspension and brakes so I don't think I'm out of line comparing the two.

There was a young kid at the park yesterday watching my boys. He seemed mesmerized by the bikes and was concerned when my 3 year old fell over. I heard his mom explain "It is okay. He fell in the grass so it doesn't hurt." The mom seemed interested in the bike but I think if I told her it had to be ridden on concrete, it would shut down the purchase possibility. Most parents I know don't want their kids riding in the street, especially when they're just learning, and finding an empty, closed off parking lot is nearly impossible.

|

10/3/2019 1:25 PM

kb228 wrote:

Im kindof with guyb. Even that short grass is much harder to pedal through. Easy way to rule it out is to ride on the sidewalk.

early wrote:

Doesn't change the shoddy components. It should be able to handle some grass.

As expensive as they are, i agree.

|

10/3/2019 2:06 PM

731chopper wrote:

I want Stacyc to succeed so if this is a common problem I sincerely hope they develop a fix. Whether that be a cooling system or just better quality components doesn't really matter to me. I want more kids riding motorcycles and this could be such a great gateway to that.

My son was greatly discouraged when his bike stopped working yesterday and we ended up playing on the playground with his bike just sitting at the picnic table. I understand that the manual says that the bike is not designed for going off-road or in grass but I don't think riding it purely on concrete is realistic. Parent's are going to want their kids to ride in the grass so it doesn't hurt as much when they fall over. The Oset handles the grass just fine so I know the technology is possible. The Oset is more expensive than the Stacy but it also has full suspension and brakes so I don't think I'm out of line comparing the two.

There was a young kid at the park yesterday watching my boys. He seemed mesmerized by the bikes and was concerned when my 3 year old fell over. I heard his mom explain "It is okay. He fell in the grass so it doesn't hurt." The mom seemed interested in the bike but I think if I told her it had to be ridden on concrete, it would shut down the purchase possibility. Most parents I know don't want their kids riding in the street, especially when they're just learning, and finding an empty, closed off parking lot is nearly impossible.

Sorry to hear that his riding got cut short. I'm confused though.. You say,

'I understand that the manual says that the bike is not designed for going off-road or in grass'

&

'The Oset is more expensive than the Stacy but it also has full suspension and brakes'

So you're using the Stacyc in a manner in which the manual explicitly states not to and you're complaining about it's performance..?

You point out that the Oset is better than the Stacyc for your application as it's a more expensive electric Dirt Bike, not an electric Bicycle..?

I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. Help me out.

|

10/3/2019 2:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2019 2:42 PM

731chopper wrote:

CivBars wrote:

'I understand that the manual says that the bike is not designed for going off-road or in grass'

&

'The Oset is more expensive than the Stacy but it also has full suspension and brakes'

So you're using the Stacyc in a manner in which the manual explicitly states not to and you're complaining about it's performance..?

You point out that the Oset is better than the Stacyc for your application as it's a more expensive electric Dirt Bike, not an electric Bicycle..?

not designed for, and incapable, can be different things. i think the general consensus is people wish they were a tad more capable on non hardpack surface, but are also being realistic and realizing that oset's, which can handle offroad terrain, are much more $.

|

10/3/2019 4:36 PM

You're coming up on the limits of that bike. The only things you can do are:

-Improve the cooling (fans, remove impediments to airflow,)
-Reduce the total load (harder surface, lighter gear, lighter rider, remove plastics)
-Ride on cooler days
-Ride shorter motos

Also, make sure there is no excess drag on the wheels thanks to any foreign matter, misalignment, etc. I haven't looked at one up close so I don't know how they are put together. I'm bummed to hear about the problems because I am 100% behind the mission statement of this company. My kid started on a balance bike and if these were available 7 years ago, he would have had one.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

10/3/2019 5:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2019 5:59 PM

731chopper wrote:

CivBars wrote:

&

I don’t feel like I’m complaining about anything. I’m surprised it can’t handle the workload of my son riding it in short grass. The oset is twice as expensive and is much more robust with full suspension, disc brakes, highly adjustable ESC, a silent motor, etc. I did not expect the Stacyc to go toe-to-toe with it but I did expect it to handle short grass.

At this point I think I’ve realized our stacyc isn’t faulty, it just wasn’t designed to handle what we’re doing. I want the best for Stacyc so I hope they improve their electronics because I’m obviously not alone in having issues and riding in a manicured park field isn’t an unreasonable expectation. At the end of the day I will modify my son’s and try to make it work but I think the average kid would just tell his parents his bike doesn’t work and will lose interest.

And they’re all motorcycles. Bicycle + Motor = Motorcycle

|

10/3/2019 7:55 PM

You're not expressing dissatisfaction or annoyance about it?

I wish you luck with figuring out a solution.

|

10/3/2019 7:56 PM

Stacey C. Dated her in the 70s. She dumped me for the home coming queen. Beyond that, I have no idea what y'all are talking about,

|

10/3/2019 7:59 PM

Harry Backmon wrote:

Stacey C. Dated her in the 70s. She dumped me for the home coming queen. Beyond that, I have no idea what y'all are talking about,

Maybe if you rode her in the grass and got her to over heat she wouldn't have left you!

|

10/3/2019 8:57 PM

It's a Harley product. Overheats and shits the bed. The old PW with training wheels has been very reliable. Non motorized balance bikes work great as an additional tool to learn on.

|

10/11/2019 5:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2019 5:30 AM

I can’t imagine how many threads like this we are going to see on e-bikes in the next 10 years. Overheating will always be the enemy. Just as it was with the Alta, the heat produced is the limiting factor.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

10/11/2019 6:28 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

I can’t imagine how many threads like this we are going to see on e-bikes in the next 10 years. Overheating will always be the enemy. Just as it was with the Alta, the heat produced is the limiting factor.

It’ll replace- “what happened to my piston”

|

10/12/2019 4:55 PM

We live in an age where any dummy can buy a $200 flighting object with NASA stickers on it and clog up the internets with complaints about not making it to mars.

|

10/12/2019 5:15 PM

liver wrote:

We live in an age where any dummy can buy a $200 flighting object with NASA stickers on it and clog up the internets with complaints about not making it to mars.

Working hard to maintain Vital’s reputation I see.

|

10/12/2019 5:38 PM

731chopper wrote:

Is anyone else having issues with their kid’s stacyc overheating? I have the 16” for my son who is 5 years old and under 40 lbs. He rides at our park in very short grass (think golf course fairway). After 10 or 15 minutes of riding his bike starts beeping with a yellow flash. It eventually shuts off. The owners manual is saying the ESC is overheating. I’m really surprised it can’t handle the workload. My son does not ride it very hard at all.

Has anyone experienced this and created a solution? I’m wondering if some sort of heat sink or fan on the ESC would help.

We get about the same time with our 12”. My dudes 3 and 32 pounds. He rides on green setting but still not very impressed with battery life for the cost of the bike.
Still worth it imo, learning throttle control on these bikes is absolutely a real benefit. My son took right to the stacyc from his glider, then had a quick transition to a pedal bike very shortly after. A few weeks later he asked me if he could try the pw50 I bought, not thinking he’d be ready until next spring as he can’t come close to touching yet. Hoped on and off he went, I just need to be ready to catch the bike when he’s done!

|

10/12/2019 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2019 8:08 PM

FYI...

The 12 inch has a 2 amp battery

The 16 inch has a 4 amp battery.

The additional battery offered is a 5 amp.

They are all interchangeable.

|