Spy and dragon done with mx

TeamGreen
1/22/2019 8:38pm
will4796 wrote:
Yeah spy is probably the most historic goggle company. Would be a shame to see them go.
Scott, Smith and Oakley have all been around twice as long as spy.
How long had you been wearing Dragon? Seems like forever? I’d been seeing them since ‘06...I think.
FlaNard
1/22/2019 9:03pm
Spy are the best goggles I've ever worn. Hope they stick around.
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
189th
1/22/2019 9:35pm
Long time Spy sunglass and goggle customer I was bummed to read this when it came out. I reached out to them and they adamantly denied pulling out of Moto and said they have multiple new color ways in the Foundation goggle this year. Hope that stays the course. Cheers.
MelonFan123
1/22/2019 11:20pm
There’s been an influx of new goggle brands that are essentially all selling the same Chinese produced product. I’m sure brands like Dragon, VZ and Spy all feel the squeeze from them taking market share.

I’m sure someone can dig up some photos from Instagram or whatever for comparison sake. It’s kind of funny.

The Shop

will4796
1/23/2019 6:07am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 6:11am
will4796 wrote:
Yeah spy is probably the most historic goggle company. Would be a shame to see them go.
Scott, Smith and Oakley have all been around twice as long as spy.
was just thinking about growing up racing and remembered seeing a lot of spy goggles, also one of my favorite riders (Kevin windham) wore them so there is a little bias in the comment haha.
Hudd_421
1/23/2019 7:46am
Seems like all three of those brands were focused and branded on the "Socal bro" lifestyle, not so much racing.
Funny how a humble brand like EKS makes a solid product, doesn't try and act "cool" and hit the hills bra... and seems to be doing well. Not to mention EKS and 100 are prices very competitively
aroark247
1/23/2019 8:04am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 8:08am
will4796 wrote:
Not even close. Oakley has probably the most historic legacy. Being that it was started in the mx grip business, then created moto goggles and snow goggles and now become one of the most iconic mainstream sun glass companies around.
And it's funny to think that Jim Jannard named the company after his dog.
RonJon
1/23/2019 8:27am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Seems like all three of those brands were focused and branded on the "Socal bro" lifestyle, not so much racing. Funny how a humble brand like...
Seems like all three of those brands were focused and branded on the "Socal bro" lifestyle, not so much racing.
Funny how a humble brand like EKS makes a solid product, doesn't try and act "cool" and hit the hills bra... and seems to be doing well. Not to mention EKS and 100 are prices very competitively
From a friend: MC outsold seely's sigature goggle pretty substantially and Axell's frame is doing very well too. More of a matter of putting your money where you get the best returns.
wfo4ever
1/23/2019 8:33am
I believe you will be seeing more and more companies pulling out of the Motorcycle industry. If the sales of their products keep dropping it just becomes a very simple business decision to cut the cord. Our sport is not doing very well and without new riders getting into the sport that is what hurts the most. Dealers are closing, tracks are closing, and motorcycle business companies are closing or getting out of motorcycles. The motorcycle industry will see a lot of changes in the future and only the strong will survive.
Hudd_421
1/23/2019 8:54am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Seems like all three of those brands were focused and branded on the "Socal bro" lifestyle, not so much racing. Funny how a humble brand like...
RonJon wrote:
From a friend: MC outsold seely's sigature goggle pretty substantially and Axell's frame is doing very well too. More of a matter of putting your money...
From a friend: MC outsold seely's sigature goggle pretty substantially and Axell's frame is doing very well too. More of a matter of putting your money where you get the best returns.
I'd expect the king to do well! But I just don't see the "edgy" branding resonating well with local riders and racers. I don't know anyone who ran Dragon, VZ, Spy (including myself) or see it at the local track or off road race. I'm sure the product is top notch, but I think the brand positioning just doesn't quite hit the mark with a weekend warrior.

Just my take. I'm sure there are a 1000 other factors
MXBen711
1/24/2019 6:39am
Dragon are not out, they have new strap designs and a new goggle due this year. Word from San Clemente is that the amount they paid riders didnt balance out and they will be looking more toward an amateur based support programme to try and rebuild. Spy are relaunching and are currently doing some heavy social media stuff here in the UK.

My source is that i am Dragons UK distributor
ob
1/24/2019 7:27am
MXBen711 wrote:
Dragon are not out, they have new strap designs and a new goggle due this year. Word from San Clemente is that the amount they paid...
Dragon are not out, they have new strap designs and a new goggle due this year. Word from San Clemente is that the amount they paid riders didnt balance out and they will be looking more toward an amateur based support programme to try and rebuild. Spy are relaunching and are currently doing some heavy social media stuff here in the UK.

My source is that i am Dragons UK distributor
That's good to hear! I would like to try a pair of dragons new style goggles. I was wondering about spy because I know they pulled out of cycling for some reason.
bama205
1/25/2019 6:03pm
VZ’s were the absolute best goggle I ever wore.
ktmwoods
1/25/2019 9:38pm
Martini637 wrote:
You can also throw VonZipper into this as well. Ive heard they are getting out of the MX sector and as someone who loves thier products...
You can also throw VonZipper into this as well. Ive heard they are getting out of the MX sector and as someone who loves thier products and has nothing but great experiences with them, its kinda sad to see them go too. Not sure what their time frame is but to my knowledge they don't sponsor any riders now.
redrider_714
Fantasy
2213th
1/25/2019 10:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 10:12pm
Spudnut
1/26/2019 10:17am
I have about 12 pairs of spy’s and I’ll go by 12 more if it means helping them stick around. Spy was literally the only goggle I ever raced in up until this summer when I got a pair of 100s for my birthday...went back to the spys after I got tired of getting little sand particles between my eyes and lens
SquidSquad
1/30/2019 12:29pm
I just got a new sponsorship deal with Spy so I don't think they are done with the Mx program.

Post a reply to: Spy and dragon done with mx

The Latest