Sprinter MotoVan build

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2021 3:02 PM

It’s been a tedious project and I have more respect for the up fitter companies that do this on a daily basis. It takes a tremendous amount of time to do one right !
I’ve spent a few dollars, but saved myself $15K+ in labor doing it all myself.
Started with a 2020 144 2-wheel drive 3.0 with a loaded package.
I got my van on December 31st and have been working on it since. I have been done with everything except the cabinets, for a little over a month. Cabinets were ordered from C-Tech, back in January, but have been held up from the pandemic world we are living in.
The cabinets showed up a few weeks ago, but they did not fit, as advertised. They had a profile for the Sprinter Vans, but I’m not sure where they got it from, cause it was pretty far off from fitting….

Anyways, here’s a few pics of the process, up until where it is now. I’m going to have to build the cabinets myself, I suppose, so I’ll be trying to handle that soon.

When I picked it up-

Photo
Photo

After a new set of wheels/ tires and some tiny on the windows. (Windshield ~ light, Side~ Medium, Rear ~ Limo)

Photo
Photo
Photo

Before I got busy-
Photo

|

8/18/2021 3:09 PM

Started with installing sound deadening throughout the van-

Photo

Photo

I did the ceiling above front headliner and the floor of drivers area, along with the front doors at a later time.

|

8/18/2021 3:40 PM

Love these threads. What product is that for sound deadening? Notice a significant difference?

|

8/18/2021 3:53 PM

Few random pics of progression-

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

8/18/2021 3:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2021 3:57 PM

Wasn’t too crazy about cutting into my new van, but it ended up being an easy job-

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

8/18/2021 4:03 PM

fullfloater wrote:

Love these threads. What product is that for sound deadening? Notice a significant difference?

FatMat brand

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TUNRGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_99JG7MY2P33MVDSDH9MR

I used DynaMat on the front doors and it was a pain in the ass. I highly recommend the FatMat stuff. Easy to work with and crazy sticky.
The difference was drastic, after just the sound matting.
I used 3M brand Thinsulate Insulation, which added another layer of sound proofing.
It’s like riding in a S500 as far as sound levels.

|

8/18/2021 4:16 PM

I wanted the floor to be all one piece, so I matted 3 pieces of wood together with a strip of hardwood in between each piece and ran runners from front to back to sit in the channels of van floor. Then I glued the rubber coin flooring to the wood and let it dry fir 24 hours, with plenty of weight in it to keep it from lifting-

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

I added a 5 gallon air tank and 2- compressors to accommodate any air needs. I do a lot of crappy dirt roads with washboard and pit holes, so I like to air down and then air back up on the way down. Usually a 30+ mile road to get up to our riding spots-

Photo

|

8/18/2021 4:21 PM

Nice!
Is that an oem glass?

|

8/18/2021 4:27 PM

Bro, this looks nuts! Can't wait to see the progress. Great choice on color, speakers, and everything else so far.

|

United States of America

8/18/2021 4:30 PM

Pretty much how it sits, until I get the cabinets installed-

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

These were the $3000 cabinets I special ordered and waited 5 months for. They were going to finish it off nice, but they didn’t fit the contour and were sent back. C-Tech was very sorry and offered to remake them, but they were a year behind. So…. I’ll take the refund and build them myself.

Photo
Photo

|

8/18/2021 4:34 PM

Insane, i love every bit of it. Is that window not an option?

|

8/18/2021 4:34 PM

Was all excited to learn and scrolled to the welding pic and immediatly thought "Oh, ok god damn, well, im out".

Looks top notch! Well done!

|

8/18/2021 4:39 PM

The wires in the back, on passengers side are for the Sony touch screen that will control the rear section of the van. I decided to separate the two systems, since I can’t hear the rear section while driving and don’t need the front on, while listening to the rear. Both systems sound great, with JBL amps and Speakers in both sections.
I installed a 10” Sub in the box, with the inverter and air pumps, along with circuit breakers, etc. it is a closed box, with no ports and is exactly 1 cubic foot of airspace.
The rear got an 8” JBL amplified sub on the rear wall. There are 4- 6-1/2” JBL kids and 4- tweeters in each section.
JBL 100wx4 channel for the rear section and a JBL 100x5 channel for the front.

There is also a red/black wire hanging above rear wall and on drivers side wall up front. These are switched wires for LED strip lighting in the cabinets, in case anyone was wondering…. 🤔😂

|

8/18/2021 4:43 PM

Alabamagoon wrote:

Insane, i love every bit of it. Is that window not an option?

The Crew model comes with windows on both sides, but no vents in them. The passenger vans come with 4- on each side. Mine is a Cargo, which do not come with side windows as an option.
The rear windows on my van are an option, which were part of the package I got. Glad I have them, otherwise the rear would get kinda claustrophobic with the rear doors closed.

|

8/18/2021 4:45 PM

Django wrote:

Nice!
Is that an oem glass?

RL Laurence is the brand. It’s got a vent wing on the bottom that helps ventilate the area. It’s also nice to get rid of that major blind spot without a window.

|

8/18/2021 4:54 PM

Beautiful work,Look forward to seeing more of this build.

|

8/18/2021 4:57 PM

crowe660 wrote:

Was all excited to learn and scrolled to the welding pic and immediatly thought "Oh, ok god damn, well, im out".

Looks top ...more

That is my buddy Bruce welding. I built a wood wall out of 2x2 and took it to his shop to duplicate in 1-1/2”x1-1/2” steel.
He’s arguably one of the best welders I know. Of course there are others who post beautiful stuff on their Instagram pages and it’s truly art. But Bruce has a lifetime of experience in some cool jobs involving welding.

This is the only thing on my build, that I couldn’t do myself, so I hired another guy with OCD. Misery loves company…. tongue

|

8/18/2021 5:03 PM

This wasn’t going to cut it and no way to change it. Was a bummer moment for sure !

Photo

|

8/18/2021 5:04 PM

What sort of glue and fabric are you using? Particularly on the bench in the front. Thanks for the pics.

|

8/18/2021 5:10 PM

This build is unreal! Good job man!

|

8/18/2021 5:15 PM

HOLY COW!!! Freaking awesome!

|

8/18/2021 5:55 PM

I built up an express this winter/spring so I feel your pain haha! I used the same sound deadening and insulation you did and agreed, massive difference! Mine started as a passenger model but after gutting it, it was like driving a trash can noise wise. Beautiful build!

|

8/18/2021 5:56 PM

Langham is a sick man and he knows it! His sprinter has the sickest buildout I've ever seen! Stillwelding even got his picture in there!

|

8/18/2021 6:08 PM

SL, don’t take this wrong, but puck you. LOL.

|

8/18/2021 6:33 PM

coming out awesome man, good job!

i've been waiting to see what you were going to do cheerful

|

8/18/2021 6:54 PM

So clean, perfect layout too!

|

8/18/2021 7:12 PM

Fantastic work. Great color also.

|

8/18/2021 7:42 PM

Spooner wrote:

I built up an express this winter/spring so I feel your pain haha! I used the same sound deadening and insulation you did and ...more

That’s what I had before building the sprinter
I cleaned mine up after buying it, but didn’t get carried away.
I just figured that it’ll be the last van I build for moto, so I pulled the trigger.
I could have used the money to pay off 1/2 of the mortgage I have, but you only live once.

Photo

Photo
Photo

|

8/18/2021 7:58 PM

Nice work!

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

8/18/2021 8:02 PM

Nice project there mate..... can I get first dibs if you ever sell it? smile

|