Spring Creek Advice

TDeath21
Edited Date/Time 7/12/2018 10:13am
I am making the trek up to Spring Creek this year. This will be my first trip up there since 07 when I was 16. I haven't been able to go for one reason or another since then.

As we know, when you're 16 and with your dad, you just kind of follow them around and don't really pay attention to the little things that really make the experience better and/or run smoother. Also, I'm sure things have changed in 11 years so I'm not sure if me remembering the little things would help much anyway. With myself going up there on my own this time, I had a few questions for those who have been there and done that.

We plan on driving up Friday and only going for the Saturday National. Driving home Sunday.

1. Good idea to buy tickets early or is it okay to buy at the gate as we enter?

2. Best viewing areas?

3. How early should we arrive at the track on Saturday morning?

4. Anything aside from chairs that would be a good idea to bring in?

5. Any other tips or things you'd recommend?

Thank you guys in advance for any help you can give me.
|
herbs906
7/9/2018 9:35am
If you are bringing your woman dont let her wear flip flops lol...buddy brought his girlfriend 1 year...you guessed it in flip flops. FUN day! lol the hills are way bigger in person
iplaybmx
7/9/2018 9:42am
Have a pair of hiking boots with you. Both time I’ve been there it has monsooned the night before.

Only bring the chair if you only want to sit in one spot. I like to watch from multiple spots throughout the day
aeffertz
7/9/2018 9:59am
Get a chair that has like backpack straps on it, or you can just stand along fences or sit on the hillside if you’re not worried about getting dirty. I think the best overall viewing is on the steep hill by the finish jump. You’re kinda far away but you get to see a lot of the track. My other favorite spot is on the center hill where you can see the start, sweeper, chadapult and a few other random sections. Usually pretty packed though, so I’ll watch the start there and then move around.

The whoops are really cool to see but they are the only thing to get to see if you’re over there. I usually just swing by them once for a few laps.

Have fun!
TooOldToPlay
7/9/2018 10:35am
Lots of good info above. My personal favorite is the hill area across the track from the food court. The pic below is part of what you see from sitting there. Kind of steep sitting area but you can see a ton of the track. Definitely worth heading over to cool off in the creek by the big whoop section too!

The Shop

calcoast
7/9/2018 12:02pm
Bring chairs. I’ve never been to Spring Creek but when I went to Hangtown I brought chairs and would just leave them when I wanted to walk around. Nobody messed with my chairs. Also bring lots of water and sunscreen.
Springcreek
7/9/2018 1:31pm
You can show up Saturday morning and buy tickets at the gate.

Lots of parking but you have to walk a ways from your car to the track.

Pit pass is 9 to noon.

I would get there early to watch practice. (starts around 8:30?)

Wear good shoes to hike all around the track including MT Martin.

www.springcreekmx.com for more information.

dh893
7/9/2018 1:49pm
Ditto on wearing proper footwear. Also agree with sitting on the hill right by the finish line as this is the spot where you can see the most track at one time! If your vision is good, you can even see a nice chunk of the whoops. Also, if you decide to bring a chair to sit in one spot for an extended amount of time, I recommend an umbrella. It has gotten pretty damn hot in years past and being Millville, it seems there is always a stray storm or two rolling through. Another necessity if you're going to post up on one of the many hills is a camp shovel (or even small garden spade) so you can dig holes for the back legs of your chair to sink into to level yourself out.
gambler8
7/9/2018 4:48pm
Planning on making the race also for the first time! Thanks for the tips and we are looking forward to seeing a new venue.
aeffertz
7/9/2018 5:49pm
I you can spring the extra $25 or whatever it is, get the Racer X pitpass if you plan on getting pit passes. It covers the entire day so you get to wander the pits after the mad dash and also at the end of the day. Usually if you are patient you can catch a rider or two one on one at the end of the day and shoot the shit.

I remember waiting around a couple hours near RC's bus when I was 16 or so. Got a picture with him and a solo cup. Great times.

If anyone sees me, make sure to say what's up! I'll be the skinny kid with a beer gut and a huge AMART sign. Grinning
DA498
7/9/2018 6:00pm
Lots of good info above. My personal favorite is the hill area across the track from the food court. The pic below is part of what...
Lots of good info above. My personal favorite is the hill area across the track from the food court. The pic below is part of what you see from sitting there. Kind of steep sitting area but you can see a ton of the track. Definitely worth heading over to cool off in the creek by the big whoop section too!

Sitting in the shade on hill between 32 and 35 on the track diagram. Bring that garden spade, dig in and establish your base. Explore after that. You will die in the sun all day on that hillside across from Holy Schmidt. Don’t get there late.
TXDirt
7/9/2018 6:07pm
These are a little bulky but man having the built in shade cover sure makes for a better experience.

Canopy Chairs

Bring chairs, sunscreen, beer, water, beer, some kind bud if you have any. Phone, perhaps a pocket phone charger. Beer, kind bud.

That's about all you need.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
7/9/2018 6:38pm
TXDirt wrote:
These are a little bulky but man having the built in shade cover sure makes for a better experience. [url=https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_5211525_-1?campID=1445961319&groupID=56670601616&device=c&productID=114593158&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4zaBRABEiwA0xwsPxiqFs4N9XRrok-a_EwlTI62slKi2yMK0SZvidc2fNHN65w7jnJSdBoC__kQAvD_BwE]Canopy Chairs[/url] Bring chairs, sunscreen, beer, water...
These are a little bulky but man having the built in shade cover sure makes for a better experience.

Canopy Chairs

Bring chairs, sunscreen, beer, water, beer, some kind bud if you have any. Phone, perhaps a pocket phone charger. Beer, kind bud.

I read that like Steve Martin in The Jerk...Laughing
KMC440
7/9/2018 6:40pm
The earlier the better. I'd shoot for a 7am arrival to the parking lot, it'll be 7:30 by the time you walk in to the track. Take your time and definitely squeeze in along the fence right on the gate, yes there's room but it's a favorite spot as you'll see ! Then at least one start on the outside of the holeshot corner, that fills up quick so get there early.

HOLY SHIT MINI DONUTS ! ! !
She's always in the same spot just before the bridge on the right. Get 2 bags on the way in trust me.
TDeath21
7/9/2018 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 8:28pm
You can show up Saturday morning and buy tickets at the gate. Lots of parking but you have to walk a ways from your car to...

Pit pass is 9 to noon.

Website says I can't bring in alcohol. But is a big Yeti mug okay? I'll definitely need it. And I’m referring to a Yeti with just ice water by the way.
herbs906
7/9/2018 8:25pm
TXDirt wrote:
These are a little bulky but man having the built in shade cover sure makes for a better experience. [url=https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_5211525_-1?campID=1445961319&groupID=56670601616&device=c&productID=114593158&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4zaBRABEiwA0xwsPxiqFs4N9XRrok-a_EwlTI62slKi2yMK0SZvidc2fNHN65w7jnJSdBoC__kQAvD_BwE]Canopy Chairs[/url] Bring chairs, sunscreen, beer, water...

Canopy Chairs

Alcohol is not allowed to be brought in as far as i know it will get confiscated.
crusher773
7/9/2018 8:46pm
Lots of good info above. My personal favorite is the hill area across the track from the food court. The pic below is part of what...

I second this viewing area. You can see almost everything. Also bring a cheap little garden spade or a small shovel. You can use it to dig out the hill so your chair will set flush and won't try to dump you out. Go in the creek, its mega cold. We rode the helicopter last year it was pretty sweet.
Springcreek
7/10/2018 6:00am
You can show up Saturday morning and buy tickets at the gate. Lots of parking but you have to walk a ways from your car to...

Pit pass is 9 to noon.

TDeath21 wrote:
Website says I can't bring in alcohol. But is a big Yeti mug okay? I'll definitely need it. And I’m referring to a Yeti with just...
Website says I can't bring in alcohol. But is a big Yeti mug okay? I'll definitely need it. And I’m referring to a Yeti with just ice water by the way.
You can bring the yeti with water.

Plenty of beer sales available from the Mazzeppa beer stands.
7/10/2018 12:26pm
calcoast wrote:
Bring chairs. I’ve never been to Spring Creek but when I went to Hangtown I brought chairs and would just leave them when I wanted to...
Bring chairs. I’ve never been to Spring Creek but when I went to Hangtown I brought chairs and would just leave them when I wanted to walk around. Nobody messed with my chairs. Also bring lots of water and sunscreen.
So you leave your chairs in a prime watching spot to go walk around and view from other prime watching spots? Grrrrr Pretty rude buddy
OldYZRider1
7/11/2018 12:25pm
aeffertz wrote:
True that! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/13886/s780_629493158_1218937850.jpg[/img]
True that!

First time I saw/climbed this it really made me realize how poorly the television broadcast "captures" the size of the hills these guys are racing. Mt. Morris is really steep and I don't think it gets climbed much during a track walk Smile .
TDeath21
7/12/2018 10:13am

crusher773 wrote:
I second this viewing area. You can see almost everything. Also bring a cheap little garden spade or a small shovel. You can use it to...
I second this viewing area. You can see almost everything. Also bring a cheap little garden spade or a small shovel. You can use it to dig out the hill so your chair will set flush and won't try to dump you out. Go in the creek, its mega cold. We rode the helicopter last year it was pretty sweet.
Awesome. I plan on walking around during practice and staying put at the best spot during the races. Hope there’s a spot left when I get over there.

Post a reply to: Spring Creek Advice

The Latest