Spoke with my wallet (for reals)

JWACK
Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 1:34pm
Picked up a 2019 250sx!
Had my first ride back yesterday after breaking my pelvis into multiple pieces September of last year.!
I put 2 hours on it and overall I'm impressed. These engines are very smooth. My wife even collected a few frequent flyer miles.
'Twas a great day to be alive

|
bents
Fantasy
909th
1/13/2019 3:21pm
Nice! Congrats on the 2 smoker. My next bike will be the Husky version.
GCBC
1/13/2019 3:40pm
braaaaaaaapp

The Shop

JWACK
1/13/2019 4:04pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Nice! Did you have a yz250 before this?
Yes I did. Great bikes.
Pirate421
1/13/2019 4:09pm
JWACK wrote:
Yes I did. Great bikes.
They are for sure, how does the 2019 250sx compare so far? I have a yz now and have had Ktm 250s in the past but not the latest gen. I’ve ridden a 19 for a few laps but it wasn’t setup for me, it was super smooth though with the counterbalanced engine.
ledger
1/13/2019 4:13pm
Awesome for you and the missy, and glad you're healed up.
JWACK
1/13/2019 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2019 5:41pm
JWACK wrote:
Yes I did. Great bikes.
Pirate421 wrote:
They are for sure, how does the 2019 250sx compare so far? I have a yz now and have had Ktm 250s in the past but...
They are for sure, how does the 2019 250sx compare so far? I have a yz now and have had Ktm 250s in the past but not the latest gen. I’ve ridden a 19 for a few laps but it wasn’t setup for me, it was super smooth though with the counterbalanced engine.
So far it fits the handling type I like a bit better than a Yz. I prefer a Suzuki or Honda frontend feel and this chassis seems to be in the middle of those 2. The ktm has a much wider feel between the knees than the Yamaha 250 but also a lighter feeling when initiating a corner or in the air. I focused on standing up and looking forward trough the corners and besides the air fork feel it was great, very neutral. I'll be working on the air fork later. As far as the engine, it does not have a very snappy throttle response compared to the Yz or an RM IMO. It's only noticeable on the stand and works great in the dirt though. I think it may be the extra weight of the counterballancer that slows the initial response. It then picks up nice and smooth to a meaty midrange but then falls into a flat topend. In fact every other 250 I have owned flat blows doors on this engine up top. It's stock besides a PC silencer cureently so I will be looking to get at least 3-600 more pulling rpms up top with other mods. The brakes work great and the shock is better than I expected. Overall it does not suck and I'll be happy to ride it again! Really looking forward to getting it dialed.
dang472
Fantasy
505th
1/17/2019 11:24am
JWACK, I sent you a PM about your RM125 you had a few months ago. I know the PMs are hit or miss.
AJ565
1/17/2019 11:32am
JWACK wrote:
Yes I did. Great bikes.
Pirate421 wrote:
They are for sure, how does the 2019 250sx compare so far? I have a yz now and have had Ktm 250s in the past but...
JWACK wrote:
So far it fits the handling type I like a bit better than a Yz. I prefer a Suzuki or Honda frontend feel and this chassis...
So far it fits the handling type I like a bit better than a Yz. I prefer a Suzuki or Honda frontend feel and this chassis seems to be in the middle of those 2. The ktm has a much wider feel between the knees than the Yamaha 250 but also a lighter feeling when initiating a corner or in the air. I focused on standing up and looking forward trough the corners and besides the air fork feel it was great, very neutral. I'll be working on the air fork later. As far as the engine, it does not have a very snappy throttle response compared to the Yz or an RM IMO. It's only noticeable on the stand and works great in the dirt though. I think it may be the extra weight of the counterballancer that slows the initial response. It then picks up nice and smooth to a meaty midrange but then falls into a flat topend. In fact every other 250 I have owned flat blows doors on this engine up top. It's stock besides a PC silencer cureently so I will be looking to get at least 3-600 more pulling rpms up top with other mods. The brakes work great and the shock is better than I expected. Overall it does not suck and I'll be happy to ride it again! Really looking forward to getting it dialed.
Its all in the jetting. It's to rich from the factory down low and to lean up top. Once you correct it with brass and a slide mod it becomes instant throttle response everywhere and pulls much better up top. A pipe change will also help up top.
BobPA
1/17/2019 11:34am
JWACK wrote:
Yes I did. Great bikes.
Pirate421 wrote:
JWACK wrote:
So far it fits the handling type I like a bit better than a Yz. I prefer a Suzuki or Honda frontend feel and this chassis...
Have you touched the powervalve spring/adjuster?
JWACK
1/17/2019 1:10pm
Pirate421 wrote:
JWACK wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
Its all in the jetting. It's to rich from the factory down low and to lean up top. Once you correct it with brass and a...
Its all in the jetting. It's to rich from the factory down low and to lean up top. Once you correct it with brass and a slide mod it becomes instant throttle response everywhere and pulls much better up top. A pipe change will also help up top.
I will have to play with the jetting for sure. What's your hot setup? I'm up at 5 thousand feet elevation as well. Currently stock jetting with 55to1 maxima 927. I'm also considering a kehin with the stic.
JWACK
1/17/2019 1:13pm
Pirate421 wrote:
JWACK wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Have you touched the powervalve spring/adjuster?
I haven't Bob, I was planning on jacking with it a little bit this weekend.
JWACK
1/17/2019 1:18pm
dang472 wrote:
JWACK, I sent you a PM about your RM125 you had a few months ago. I know the PMs are hit or miss.
No I don't have it anymore. I almost cried a little when it left. But I had to sell it to fund my new cone valve addiction. Probably wasn't worth it as that rm was perfect.! Geez I'm a fuktard sometimes, thanks for reminding me.

AJ565
1/17/2019 1:32pm
This is the jetting I had with C12 (same jetting with pump gas) in the mid 60*'s. When it got hot out I needed to go to the 4th clip position. This should get you in the ball park. With the altitude you might need to go one more turn out on the AS and raise the clip one position.

MJ 470
PJ 32.5
Slide 5.75 (stock is 4.0) (2004 KX125 optional part) you can also cut yours to a 5.5 for free. How to here
Needle 42-75 (KTM optional part)
Clip 3rd position
Needle jet s-4 (stock is a s-1) (KTM optional part)
AS 1.5 or 2.0.
60:1 mixed
Power valve 1 3/4 turn in from all the way out, stock spring.

Also run a 49t rear sprocket, helps a lot on that bike.

dang472
Fantasy
505th
1/17/2019 1:34pm
Dammit. Well at least the money didn’t go to a new bedroom set or kitchen appliances. RM125s are getting hard to come by, especially ones without black plastic and a crooked monster sticker.
AJ565
1/17/2019 1:34pm
The CV are a huge improvement over the AER. I was seriously impressed when I put them on mine.
1/17/2019 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 1:40pm
Ktm brakes make Yamahas feel like they’re worn shoes.
YZed250
1/17/2019 1:44pm
AJ565 wrote:
This is the jetting I had with C12 (same jetting with pump gas) in the mid 60*'s. When it got hot out I needed to go...
This is the jetting I had with C12 (same jetting with pump gas) in the mid 60*'s. When it got hot out I needed to go to the 4th clip position. This should get you in the ball park. With the altitude you might need to go one more turn out on the AS and raise the clip one position.

MJ 470
PJ 32.5
Slide 5.75 (stock is 4.0) (2004 KX125 optional part) you can also cut yours to a 5.5 for free. How to here
Clip 3rd position
AS 1.5 or 2.0.

The 19s have the closed off airbox, so you might find this jetting (above) is a little rich. I just jumped on a 17 and I am a very happy camper. Here are my suggestions onthe carb, or mods that I plan to do to mine:
1. Notch the slide on the intake side.
2 Replace the needle seat oring
3. Replace the jet block gasket.
The Mikuni carburettor is described as inconsistent, and 2 and 3 are the main reasons for this.
Orange224
1/17/2019 3:10pm
dang472 wrote:
JWACK wrote:
No I don't have it anymore. I almost cried a little when it left. But I had to sell it to fund my new cone valve...
No I don't have it anymore. I almost cried a little when it left. But I had to sell it to fund my new cone valve addiction. Probably wasn't worth it as that rm was perfect.! Geez I'm a fuktard sometimes, thanks for reminding me.

1/17/2019 3:30pm
On my 17 I tossed on a Khiehn card with stock jetting specs from a 03sx250 and the bike has ran flawless since. Slapped on a pc pipe / non-shorty exhaust and dropped down a tooth on the back and it feels almost too much like a 4 stroke now but i can still pull 3rd from tight corners
BobPA
1/17/2019 4:47pm
JWACK wrote:
I haven't Bob, I was planning on jacking with it a little bit this weekend.
It makes a huge difference to how the power is delivered. I am assuming the SX versions come with the red spring (aggressive), but I am not sure. If you are Moto all the time I would recommend the red spring, and then fine tune with the adjuster. I run the medium spring in my 300 as I run anywhere from technical rocks to the track...and the power is incredibly linear...yet still pretty damn fast.

There are dyno plots on the net breaking down the different springs.
Tomok
1/17/2019 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2019 12:58pm
The yellow spring is stock in the 2019 250 SX.
jeffro503
1/17/2019 6:30pm
God dang it Jwack , I missed this before. But just wanted to say congrats!!

You still have the trick RM 250 too?
JWACK
1/17/2019 7:22pm
AJ565 wrote:
This is the jetting I had with C12 (same jetting with pump gas) in the mid 60*'s. When it got hot out I needed to go...

MJ 470
PJ 32.5
Clip 3rd position
AS 1.5 or 2.0.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll be getting into it here real soon. Maybe I'll do my best with this mikuni and get a kehin just for fun to compare.
JWACK
1/17/2019 7:29pm
BobPA wrote:
It makes a huge difference to how the power is delivered. I am assuming the SX versions come with the red spring (aggressive), but I am...
It makes a huge difference to how the power is delivered. I am assuming the SX versions come with the red spring (aggressive), but I am not sure. If you are Moto all the time I would recommend the red spring, and then fine tune with the adjuster. I run the medium spring in my 300 as I run anywhere from technical rocks to the track...and the power is incredibly linear...yet still pretty damn fast.

There are dyno plots on the net breaking down the different springs.
I'll look into that red spring. I ride Moto and off-road a bit. Honestly since I'm just getting back into it and not 100% healthy yet I'm glad these bikes are not arm stretching dragsters. I may just name her peppy. Lol
JWACK
1/17/2019 7:37pm
jeffro503 wrote:
God dang it Jwack , I missed this before. But just wanted to say congrats!!

You still have the trick RM 250 too?
Thanks Jeffro! I don't have my super trick and clean RM anymore. When I decided to buy this bike I needed to make some room. The good news is that I still have one more 04 RM250. I had 3. It's not a looker but someday it will be.
The 04-08 RM250s may be my favorite bike ever.
fatcat
1/17/2019 7:47pm
JWACK wrote:
No I don't have it anymore. I almost cried a little when it left. But I had to sell it to fund my new cone valve...

Glad your healed up and back riding JWACK, let her rip ! Are those lug protectors laying in the box with the forks ?
I have never seen those till now.

Post a reply to: Spoke with my wallet (for reals)

The Latest