Spoke with my wallet ( again ).......And happy as heck!

IanMac138
11/5/2018 9:34pm
Nice bike dude!

I'm in the Portland area and recently just got back into MX after a 10 year hiatus from compounding my femur (after 20+ years of racing/riding with multiple other injuries). Took me a whole decade to get back on a bike, but just got a '19 KTM 150SX and love it. So stoked to be back on a bike again, it's unbelievable (Driving my wife nuts though since Moto is on my brain 24/7).

Now that winter is here, definitely want to keep up the riding and MX fitness I started to get back (ride a ton of MTB'ing but not the same). Let me know where you go riding...trail, track whatever. Looking for other Portland area dudes to hook up with that don't flake and just want to keep ripping and have fun. Cheers man!

jeffro503
11/6/2018 7:56am
Haha...hell yeah Ian , and glad to see you back at it! Not sure when / where we will actually ride and all depends on the weather. But shoot me a PM with your number and we'll hook up for sure. You'll end up falling in love with that little 150 too. I swear my little 125 is the most fun bike I've ever owned. It never ceases to amaze me what that thing is capable of out on the track. My face usually hurts more then anything after a ride....just from consistently smiling!
jeffro503
11/6/2018 7:59am
AJ565 wrote:
Kawasaki part# 16025-0003 5.75 slide Yamaha part# 284-14116-H5-00 needle 42-75 KTM part# 55431021400 is the s4 needle jet In the 30’s I run a 37.5 PJ...
Kawasaki part# 16025-0003 5.75 slide

Yamaha part# 284-14116-H5-00 needle 42-75

KTM part# 55431021400 is the s4 needle jet

In the 30’s I run a 37.5 PJ and drop the 4th clip on the needle. 50’s-60’s 3rd clip. Upper 60’s+ 3rd clip, but a 35 PJ. That’s with T2 or u4.4. All with the 490 MJ.

I do want to test the 5.5 slide, I just haven’t gotten around to cutting my stock slide yet because my bike runs so good now.
Thanks AJ. I will look these parts up and get them ordered up. Let me know if you try that 5.5 slide. I'd like to know your feelings on that.
jeffro503
11/6/2018 8:02am
Spat24 wrote:
Congrats Jeffro. Sweet bike. Glad you made it back from that crash - sounds shitty. As a lot of people said - need a ride report...
Congrats Jeffro. Sweet bike. Glad you made it back from that crash - sounds shitty.
As a lot of people said - need a ride report soon.
Thanks Spat! Yeah I'm glad I came back too. And as soon as I have a chance to get the 250 ready and go rip it...I will report.

The Shop

AJ565
11/6/2018 8:17am
jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks AJ. I will look these parts up and get them ordered up. Let me know if you try that 5.5 slide. I'd like to know...
Thanks AJ. I will look these parts up and get them ordered up. Let me know if you try that 5.5 slide. I'd like to know your feelings on that.
No problem. I'm thinking about getting that slide out of the garage while I'm at lunch and grinding it down.

When you get all the parts you should ride it with the stock jetting and then swap it out so you have a real back to back. You'll be impressed with how different it is and its only 10-15 min worth of work to swap it.
jeffro503
11/6/2018 8:28am
jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks AJ. I will look these parts up and get them ordered up. Let me know if you try that 5.5 slide. I'd like to know...
AJ565 wrote:
No problem. I'm thinking about getting that slide out of the garage while I'm at lunch and grinding it down. When you get all the parts...
No problem. I'm thinking about getting that slide out of the garage while I'm at lunch and grinding it down.

When you get all the parts you should ride it with the stock jetting and then swap it out so you have a real back to back. You'll be impressed with how different it is and its only 10-15 min worth of work to swap it.
I will see if I can get out to the shop this evening and crack open the carb. I'm curious as to what jetting is in there right now.

How about the squish on my bike? You have any idea what that may be , and did you end up milling your head down? Replace it? From what I remember hearing , the squish on these bikes is pretty big compared to what it should be. I remember Slip mentioning that he found that getting it down to about 0.040' - 0.042" was a big improvement. And stock they are coming in with a squish of about 0.70" ?
Jimfunn
11/6/2018 8:29am
I rode a new '18 250 SX at the weekend and was blown away, such a good bike and the AER fork was also really good out the box.
AJ565
11/6/2018 8:39am
jeffro503 wrote:
I will see if I can get out to the shop this evening and crack open the carb. I'm curious as to what jetting is in...
I will see if I can get out to the shop this evening and crack open the carb. I'm curious as to what jetting is in there right now.

How about the squish on my bike? You have any idea what that may be , and did you end up milling your head down? Replace it? From what I remember hearing , the squish on these bikes is pretty big compared to what it should be. I remember Slip mentioning that he found that getting it down to about 0.040' - 0.042" was a big improvement. And stock they are coming in with a squish of about 0.70" ?
Haven't touched it. I have 29 hours on it and I've never had the head off. Try the jetting before you mess with it as I doubt you will feel the need to.

Stock jetting you should find this:

Main jet 440
Pilot 42.5
Needle 43–73
Clip 3rd
AS 1-1/2 turns out
Slide 4.0
jeffro503
11/6/2018 8:49am
AJ565 wrote:
Haven't touched it. I have 29 hours on it and I've never had the head off. Try the jetting before you mess with it as I...
Haven't touched it. I have 29 hours on it and I've never had the head off. Try the jetting before you mess with it as I doubt you will feel the need to.

Main jet 440
Pilot 42.5
Needle 43–73
Clip 3rd
AS 1-1/2 turns out
Slide 4.0
Got it. Thanks again AJ!
moore433
11/6/2018 2:14pm
Looks awesome, congrats!!
Always sweet to be bringing a new bike home...
jeffro503
11/7/2018 2:08pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I will see if I can get out to the shop this evening and crack open the carb. I'm curious as to what jetting is in...

AJ565 wrote:
Haven't touched it. I have 29 hours on it and I've never had the head off. Try the jetting before you mess with it as I...

Main jet 440
Pilot 42.5
Needle 43–73
Clip 3rd
AS 1-1/2 turns out
Slide 4.0
Hey AJ , thanks so far for your help. I'd like to try and break this thing in and get some time on the suspension this next Sunday. I'll have to ride with the stock parts on the carb , and was wondering if you had an idea for a descent setting ? I'm not expecting great things out of it right off the bat anyways.

Should be about 50 degrees and normal Oct/Nov weather with a little moisture out.
AJ565
11/7/2018 2:32pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Hey AJ , thanks so far for your help. I'd like to try and break this thing in and get some time on the suspension this...
Hey AJ , thanks so far for your help. I'd like to try and break this thing in and get some time on the suspension this next Sunday. I'll have to ride with the stock parts on the carb , and was wondering if you had an idea for a descent setting ? I'm not expecting great things out of it right off the bat anyways.

Should be about 50 degrees and normal Oct/Nov weather with a little moisture out.
450 MJ and a 35 or 37.5 PJ is the best I remember stock. You HAVE to run 60:1 with the stock jetting or it will run worse than it already does.
jeffro503
11/7/2018 2:39pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Hey AJ , thanks so far for your help. I'd like to try and break this thing in and get some time on the suspension this...

AJ565 wrote:
450 MJ and a 35 or 37.5 PJ is the best I remember stock. You HAVE to run 60:1 with the stock jetting or it will...
450 MJ and a 35 or 37.5 PJ is the best I remember stock. You HAVE to run 60:1 with the stock jetting or it will run worse than it already does.
Thank you! I will give this thing a shot on Sunday if the weather holds.
jeffro503
11/10/2018 7:53pm
So I got my bike all prepped for riding tomorrow. A couple things I noticed tonight was .....1.) My throttle tube feels loose as hell. Like pretty sloppy around the bars. My 125 , even after 35 hours doesn't feel this sloppy. Anyone else feel like that? And 2.) which is no big deal , but I thought I'd ask.....the clutch lever rubber / protector for my bike was split. I'm about 99% positive it isn't supposed to be , but didn't notice it until tonight when I removed the hand guards.

I think I am ordering a new rubber piece , and I'm definitely getting a new aluminum throttle tube!

jeffro503
11/10/2018 9:57pm
IanMac138 wrote:
Where you riding tomorrow?
Heading to Albany. Meeting up with quite a few guy's from what I understand ( if they all show up ). More than welcome to come on down , find our pit and hang out. We have a really good group and love this stuff!
jeffro503
11/11/2018 5:23pm
Had my day cut a little short on the 250 today. Couldn't get more then 3 - 4 laps in at a time ,and the rear brake kept getting hot and locking up. I relieved it 3 different times , freed the wheel , rode again.....kept happening. Like the Pistons will compress , but won't decompress. Caliper is just locked. Luckily I brought the 125 and got my motos in.

Calling the shop Tuesday morning and get it resolved. Other than that , thanks AJ for the jetting tips , bike felt good motor wise even though I was pretty easy on it. Rear brake was messing with me.. Definitely going to be a great bike. Suspension is pretty dorked out , but I'll figure that out later.
AJ565
11/12/2018 6:20am
jeffro503 wrote:
Had my day cut a little short on the 250 today. Couldn't get more then 3 - 4 laps in at a time ,and the rear...
Had my day cut a little short on the 250 today. Couldn't get more then 3 - 4 laps in at a time ,and the rear brake kept getting hot and locking up. I relieved it 3 different times , freed the wheel , rode again.....kept happening. Like the Pistons will compress , but won't decompress. Caliper is just locked. Luckily I brought the 125 and got my motos in.

Calling the shop Tuesday morning and get it resolved. Other than that , thanks AJ for the jetting tips , bike felt good motor wise even though I was pretty easy on it. Rear brake was messing with me.. Definitely going to be a great bike. Suspension is pretty dorked out , but I'll figure that out later.
That sucks about the rear brake. Should have just taken it off, brakes are over rated, they only slow you down.

Suspension wise yeah they kinda suck stock. I ran 148 in the front with MXA suspension recommendations. On the rear I'm at rebound 18, low speed 12, high speed 1 1/4 if I remember correctly, I can double check if you'd like. I was having a packing issue that caused a lot of kicking through the braking bumps. Derek Harris at HP race performance revalved my front and totally fixed my issues with the front end.

Two things that made a world of difference in how the bike handled was the Showa steering damper and a Ride Engineering performance link with sag set to 103. When I swap bikes with someone that doesn't have that on their KTM it feel so sketchy that I don't like riding their bikes for more than a lap or two.

Post a reply to: Spoke with my wallet ( again ).......And happy as heck!

The Latest