Spoke with my wallet..HELP!!!

rob162
Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 5:48pm
Just picked up this beauty last saturday. It a 18 250f.
Took it to the indoor track it was hard to start needed a little throttle and about 10-12 kicks to fire up. Once it warmed up it started 3-4 kicks all day. Got it home it was hard to start again. Fast forward to today took 10-15 kicks fired up. Let it warm up idling once warm went to give it a slow braa p on the stand. The minute the play came out of the throttle it died and will not start again. I'm gonna call the shop in the morning an talk with them. But does anyone have a idea. Its only got 45 minutes on it
|
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
1/4/2019 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2019 11:23pm
Have someone check your valve clearances.
Helda
1/4/2019 11:28pm
Take it back to where you brought it
Helda
1/4/2019 11:28pm
Unless it's not new of course, second had DB's that's your problem unfortunately, but yeah valve clearances.
Talisker
1/5/2019 12:20am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 2:17am
Check to make sure the fuel line from the tank did not get twisted and pinched. Its very easy to do. Always check when you remove and install tank.

The Shop

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
1/5/2019 12:25am
Shouldn't have to touch the throttle to crank. Has anyone messed with the idle/chock screw?
cody41
1/5/2019 5:27am
Talisker wrote:
Check to make sure the fuel line from the tank did not get twisted and pinched. Its very easy to do. Always check when you remove...
Check to make sure the fuel line from the tank did not get twisted and pinched. Its very easy to do. Always check when you remove and install tank.
X2
1/5/2019 5:56am
I always use the starter choke on mine first start of the day and even after it’s sat after a few sessions. Give it s try. ( I assumed you didn’t use it?)
rob162
1/5/2019 7:10am
Yeah bikes brand new. Checked the fuel line it's not kinked. I turned the idle up as I've seen a few bikes set to low before when new. Used the choke for cold start. Better not be a valve issue with 45 minutes on it. Gonna send it back to the dealer. I'm a mechanic and have gone through all the basics even changed the plug on the chance i had a fouled plug. I was hoping to hear if anyone had this random issue befor. Like I know these bikes tend to have electrical gremlins like the kill switch going bad or when it's wet. But it's a brand new bike so im not tearing into it an then getting blamed for it.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
1/5/2019 7:47am
rob162 wrote:
Yeah bikes brand new. Checked the fuel line it's not kinked. I turned the idle up as I've seen a few bikes set to low before...
Yeah bikes brand new. Checked the fuel line it's not kinked. I turned the idle up as I've seen a few bikes set to low before when new. Used the choke for cold start. Better not be a valve issue with 45 minutes on it. Gonna send it back to the dealer. I'm a mechanic and have gone through all the basics even changed the plug on the chance i had a fouled plug. I was hoping to hear if anyone had this random issue befor. Like I know these bikes tend to have electrical gremlins like the kill switch going bad or when it's wet. But it's a brand new bike so im not tearing into it an then getting blamed for it.
Take it back with a cool head..... cooler heads prevail. I’m certain it’s infuriating to drop that kinda coin with a problem right off the bat, but if that dealer has any kind of good rep at all, they can straighten this out. My advice is to keep your hands off it as much as possible. Saying that as to yourself being a mechanic, not insulting your intelligence. Just would hate for the powers at be saying, “oh, you shouldn’t have messed with this piece....”. Leave it be. Best of luck, this will pass! Be safe.
Talisker
1/5/2019 7:54am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 7:56am
Bring it to the shop. If its a new bike and you checked everything, the only thing i can think of is the throttle body.
The fuel injection may need to be cleaned. It does not take much to clog. Had this happen to a new bike i had.
Buy the Twin Air filter that goes inside the gas tank. It will catch any debris when you are pouring gas into the bike.
racerx217
1/5/2019 9:40am
Valves are tight, hopefully can just valve for now but then you always dont know until catastrophic failure. Every used 4 stroke i have ever bought i have opened up before riding to make sure it wasnt going to poop its pants.
Spudnut
1/5/2019 10:35am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 10:39am
Take it back for one of the models without an F at the end!

Kidding of course!

I’d take it back and if it is the valves demand an entire brand new head.

Could be something simpler as well the symptoms you described remind me of my carbed 08 450 that came brand new off the show room floor with water in the gas. Would hardly start and when it did just idle like crap then die if i gave it any throttle.
1/5/2019 10:37am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 10:38am
racerx217 wrote:
Valves are tight, hopefully can just valve for now but then you always dont know until catastrophic failure. Every used 4 stroke i have ever bought...
Valves are tight, hopefully can just valve for now but then you always dont know until catastrophic failure. Every used 4 stroke i have ever bought i have opened up before riding to make sure it wasnt going to poop its pants.
It's brand new guys. Probably not the valves. Has anyone here ever gotten a new bike with tight valves?
Spudnut
1/5/2019 10:49am
It's brand new guys. Probably not the valves. Has anyone here ever gotten a new bike with tight valves?
No but I’ve gotten a brand new bike with bad main bearings, another with water in the gas and a crf80 with a plugged carburetor after one ride around my yard. So id say it’s possible.... flukes and faulty parts DO happen
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
1/5/2019 11:24am
I have and it was with Yamaha. Sorry to tell you man but I'm willing to put a lot of money on the line it's the intake valves.

I had a 16 and 17 YZ250F and had the same problems. Sounds like you got a lemon.

The bike will start like a bastard and once it warms up it will start fine. As soon as it's cold you're going to have the same problem. This won't last long until the bike won't start at all unless you bump start it. You can do this for awhile until you put the crank through the motor. Eventually I got good at knowing when the valves were out of spec cause it felt like the bike had no pull (felt like the clutch was worn). You'll come across that if this is the case in this bike already.

Some other frightening stories about the Yamaha's...

The beginning of 2017 two (C) class brothers purchased brand new YZ250F's (as did I). One of them got a left over 16 and the other got a brand new 17 like me. The guy that bought the 17 valves went at less than 10 hours. He took it to the shop and had to replace both intake valves...this lasted only for a few hours until they went again. He once again got them fixed and sold the bike (with 0 hours on the new valves) and the new individual that bought the bike toasted them again couple hours later. The guy that bought the 16 valves went at 5 hours...he saw what his brother was going through and sold the bike as is. The guy that bought it was a fast B rider and kept running it by jump-starting it. He put the crank right through the motor only a few weeks after.

Yamaha won't do F-All for you man. I learned my lesson the hard way on my third Yamaha purchased last spring with the new YZ450F. I had to put a new motor in it at 6 hours, the starter clutch went in the new motor at 5 hours, and about 15 hours after that I had to get a whole new cylinder, another starter clutch, and the valves were completely our of spec. You can say that I have the bike prepped and ready for a trade in the coming months.

It's proven Yamaha is reliable and they keep winning bike of the year, but somewhere in the factory they are letting a lot of lemons out.

Some people are going to be on my ass and tell me my maintenance is shit, but that's not the case at all. So heres a photo of what my 18 looks like right now. I might of got 30 hours on it this summer and spent more money repairs this summer than what the trade in values worth.

foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
1/5/2019 11:26am
....oh and the best part! The valves are most likely "mushroom capped" so it's not like you just put a shim in and say "Woohoo good to go". No, every time in my case and the two above the valves had to be completely replaced.
dirtmike86
1/5/2019 11:42am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 11:45am
1st off take it back. Not your problem. Second if the dealer is 200 miles into BFE then I'd check the basics and if all that's good id lean towards a ECU issue. I work at a heavy equipment dealership and sometimes a poorly running machine might be a hiccup in the ecm that needs to be updated, or in your case the ecu could be faulty or needs to be tuned correctly. A brand new bike should fire within the first 3 kicks.
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
1/5/2019 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 12:10pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
1st off take it back. Not your problem. Second if the dealer is 200 miles into BFE then I'd check the basics and if all that's...
1st off take it back. Not your problem. Second if the dealer is 200 miles into BFE then I'd check the basics and if all that's good id lean towards a ECU issue. I work at a heavy equipment dealership and sometimes a poorly running machine might be a hiccup in the ecm that needs to be updated, or in your case the ecu could be faulty or needs to be tuned correctly. A brand new bike should fire within the first 3 kicks.
No warranty on competition bikes the minute they go out the door...so yup kind of his problem. You might get some compensation from the dealer on parts and labour, but Yamaha isn’t giving you a cent.

You’re in a shit ass spot that myself and two others I witnessed were. Luckily for me my bike was bought and paid for. They other guys both took out five year loans on a dirt bike that was worth less than half the value when they parted ways.
Doddy
1/5/2019 12:08pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
1st off take it back. Not your problem. Second if the dealer is 200 miles into BFE then I'd check the basics and if all that's...
foreman52 wrote:
No warranty on competition bikes the minute they go out the door...so yup kind of his problem. You might get some compensation from the dealer on...
No warranty on competition bikes the minute they go out the door...so yup kind of his problem. You might get some compensation from the dealer on parts and labour, but Yamaha isn’t giving you a cent.

You’re in a shit ass spot that myself and two others I witnessed were. Luckily for me my bike was bought and paid for. They other guys both took out five year loans on a dirt bike that was worth less than half the value when they parted ways.
My 19 YZ250 came with a 30 day warranty from Yamaha.....
dirtmike86
1/5/2019 12:25pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
foreman52 wrote:
No warranty on competition bikes the minute they go out the door...so yup kind of his problem. You might get some compensation from the dealer on...

If they want this guy to ever buy a bike from them again they will. You might be right about no warranty but I'd imagine most respectable dealerships would at least try to make it right.
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
1/5/2019 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 12:29pm
Doddy wrote:
My 19 YZ250 came with a 30 day warranty from Yamaha.....
Maybe it’s different outside of Canada, but if that’s the case I could still seeing that being a big shit show for them to cough up any compensation. I’m more than sour with YamahaLaughing I hope he has better luck!
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
1/5/2019 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 12:30pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
If they want this guy to ever buy a bike from them again they will. You might be right about no warranty but I'd imagine most...
If they want this guy to ever buy a bike from them again they will. You might be right about no warranty but I'd imagine most respectable dealerships would at least try to make it right.
Right, and it’s smart that a dealership would do that because it’s their reputation on the line. A corporation like Yamaha could care less if Billy that just bought a new bike is having troubles with it.

My dealership did the same thing. They ate a lot of the costs of labour and parts but at the end of the day I still had a very hefty bill on a brand new bike that only had 6 hours on it for a new motor.
dirtmike86
1/5/2019 12:42pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
If they want this guy to ever buy a bike from them again they will. You might be right about no warranty but I'd imagine most...
foreman52 wrote:
Right, and it’s smart that a dealership would do that because it’s their reputation on the line. A corporation like Yamaha could care less if Billy...
Right, and it’s smart that a dealership would do that because it’s their reputation on the line. A corporation like Yamaha could care less if Billy that just bought a new bike is having troubles with it.

My dealership did the same thing. They ate a lot of the costs of labour and parts but at the end of the day I still had a very hefty bill on a brand new bike that only had 6 hours on it for a new motor.
Yeah, sounds like you got screwed. I just find it hard to believe its something major with practically not time on the motor. To me just seems like either TPS or ecu issue. I've never seen valve clearances progress within 45 minutes.
rob162
1/5/2019 6:08pm
Not gonna quote everyone. Ill touch on everyones post.
Definitely will be polite and professional with them. It thinks that's mandatory. No offense taken on my mechanical skills. As far as mechanical skills. Im Yamaha certified. I've had my hands on motors that guys lining up tonight rode. Also had my hands in one of these yzfs for a may or maybe not retired rider.

The whole reason I posted it up here was to show it off and see if anyone had something odd like this happen. I did test all connections tps,a new plug. I didn't do a compression test cause i honestly didn't want to know that yet lol. As far As my thoughts It does seem like a fuel delivery or intake valves are tight. I took it to the dealer since its brand new and has a 30 day warranty. An i dont think it's my responsibility to fix this especially cause who knows what's gonna happen later on down the road. They are being super nice and helpful. When they find out what's wrong they're going to give me a call so I can if needed put my two cents in. Might walk out with a 19 instead.

I was trying to see if any one had something odd they found that might be it since these guys a 3 hours away.
As far as odd things on bike I've seen bike come untouched with seized main bearings linkages, no fork or shock oil.
Me personally I've had a few. A cr125 no one could get to run right. A pair of Husky/BMW 449's that didn't make it 2 hours befor the both locked up from different causes.

So i guess my 03 kx125 i picked up and was gonna build will have to hold me over.
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
1/5/2019 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 11:41pm
rob162 wrote:
Not gonna quote everyone. Ill touch on everyones post. Definitely will be polite and professional with them. It thinks that's mandatory. No offense taken on my...
Not gonna quote everyone. Ill touch on everyones post.
Definitely will be polite and professional with them. It thinks that's mandatory. No offense taken on my mechanical skills. As far as mechanical skills. Im Yamaha certified. I've had my hands on motors that guys lining up tonight rode. Also had my hands in one of these yzfs for a may or maybe not retired rider.

The whole reason I posted it up here was to show it off and see if anyone had something odd like this happen. I did test all connections tps,a new plug. I didn't do a compression test cause i honestly didn't want to know that yet lol. As far As my thoughts It does seem like a fuel delivery or intake valves are tight. I took it to the dealer since its brand new and has a 30 day warranty. An i dont think it's my responsibility to fix this especially cause who knows what's gonna happen later on down the road. They are being super nice and helpful. When they find out what's wrong they're going to give me a call so I can if needed put my two cents in. Might walk out with a 19 instead.

I was trying to see if any one had something odd they found that might be it since these guys a 3 hours away.
As far as odd things on bike I've seen bike come untouched with seized main bearings linkages, no fork or shock oil.
Me personally I've had a few. A cr125 no one could get to run right. A pair of Husky/BMW 449's that didn't make it 2 hours befor the both locked up from different causes.

So i guess my 03 kx125 i picked up and was gonna build will have to hold me over.
Keep us updated man. I would love to find out the solution. I know a lot of fast and slow riders that have had nothing but good luck with the new Yamaha’s and vise versa. I hope you get it resolved!
mark_swart
1/6/2019 10:37am
My 17 YZ 250f used to start on the 4th kick cold, every time,. I did a mud race in the fall (I had about 25 hours on the bike), and noticed after I washed it it became more like 7-8 kicks. I checked valves and they were fine, also replaced plug while I had it all apart, cleaned throttle body, and disconnected every electrical connection, hit them with electrical cleaner, then reassembled. It's back to normal now, although I'm not sure what part of that process fixed the issue since I did it all at once.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/6/2019 10:49am
foreman52 wrote:
I have and it was with Yamaha. Sorry to tell you man but I'm willing to put a lot of money on the line it's the...
I have and it was with Yamaha. Sorry to tell you man but I'm willing to put a lot of money on the line it's the intake valves.

I had a 16 and 17 YZ250F and had the same problems. Sounds like you got a lemon.

The bike will start like a bastard and once it warms up it will start fine. As soon as it's cold you're going to have the same problem. This won't last long until the bike won't start at all unless you bump start it. You can do this for awhile until you put the crank through the motor. Eventually I got good at knowing when the valves were out of spec cause it felt like the bike had no pull (felt like the clutch was worn). You'll come across that if this is the case in this bike already.

Some other frightening stories about the Yamaha's...

The beginning of 2017 two (C) class brothers purchased brand new YZ250F's (as did I). One of them got a left over 16 and the other got a brand new 17 like me. The guy that bought the 17 valves went at less than 10 hours. He took it to the shop and had to replace both intake valves...this lasted only for a few hours until they went again. He once again got them fixed and sold the bike (with 0 hours on the new valves) and the new individual that bought the bike toasted them again couple hours later. The guy that bought the 16 valves went at 5 hours...he saw what his brother was going through and sold the bike as is. The guy that bought it was a fast B rider and kept running it by jump-starting it. He put the crank right through the motor only a few weeks after.

Yamaha won't do F-All for you man. I learned my lesson the hard way on my third Yamaha purchased last spring with the new YZ450F. I had to put a new motor in it at 6 hours, the starter clutch went in the new motor at 5 hours, and about 15 hours after that I had to get a whole new cylinder, another starter clutch, and the valves were completely our of spec. You can say that I have the bike prepped and ready for a trade in the coming months.

It's proven Yamaha is reliable and they keep winning bike of the year, but somewhere in the factory they are letting a lot of lemons out.

Some people are going to be on my ass and tell me my maintenance is shit, but that's not the case at all. So heres a photo of what my 18 looks like right now. I might of got 30 hours on it this summer and spent more money repairs this summer than what the trade in values worth.

Sorry to hear that story.
Just out of curiosity what brand of bike and model do you think you will get next?
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
1/6/2019 11:18am
Tarz483 wrote:
Sorry to hear that story.
Just out of curiosity what brand of bike and model do you think you will get next?
Based on realiablity and the support package Honda has available it will be a 2019 CRF450. I felt really comfortable on the one I tried this season so it should be fun to try something new. I’ve bounced back between Suzuki and Yamaha my entire life so this will be a whole new experience for me.

Post a reply to: Spoke with my wallet..HELP!!!

The Latest