Spoke with my wallet. Braaap!

Edited Date/Time 11/21/2018 7:11am
Finally gave in to my 2 stroke fever and so glad I did!
This is a fantastic track day and Vet bike. I had been riding a 2018.5 450 Factory Edition and figured the 150 would feel really slow but was shocked at the power and fun factor the first time I rode it!
I just sold my 450, it’s been gathering dust since the day I broke the 150 in. I kept it 2 months to be sure but there’s no way I’m leaving the 150 home when it’s Moto time!
I’ve hopped it up a bit with a FMF Factory Fatty, 2.1 silencer, Lectron carb(awesome), V Force 4 reeds and a RK Tek head.
Oh.... I put my beloved Cone Valve forks on before I ever rode it?

I’m a washed up 57 year old A/B Vet and feel like a lighter slower bike I can ride hard is way more fun than herding a 450 around. If, and I mean IF I ever go back to a 4 stroke, it will be a 250f.

This bike has really pumped up my fun factor both on the track and in the garage. It’s nice to be able to feel comfortable working on my bike again.

|
11/15/2018 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 5:27pm
Definitely noticing a trend with "can't believe how much fun I'm having!" among the big bore thumper ex-patriots...

Dude you did it right with the Lectron and CV forks... holy smokes that bike must be a hoot! I wanna hear it scream WoohooCool
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/15/2018 5:27pm
Braapalicious.
NeedMoto
11/15/2018 5:38pm
Awesome!!! Ear to ear grin no doubt when your screaming that 150, congrats!!!

Same here, age and riding ability. I bought a 2018 YZ250X two stroke version, as I wanted to do more off-roading.

Low and behold, I've sold my 450 with no thought of getting another one. My YZ250 has turned into my main moto scoot, and the fun factor is off the hook. Not to mention my speed is a tad faster, go figure.

Enjoy that bad ass 150 and give us some ride updates.
Duncster316
Fantasy
1795th
11/15/2018 6:42pm
Congrats on that fun machine Mike! Been riding a tc250 with cv’s and lectron for the last 2 years, been a blast. Enjoy!?

The Shop

jeffro503
11/15/2018 6:46pm
Chalk another one up that " saw the light! "........Good job Mike! And believe me , I know exactly how you feel. What is so awesome about this is , trying to explain to someone , that when you hop on a 125 , 150 or 250 2 stroke......is that once you start to get them figured out and have fun , you literally feel 20 years younger! ( Not kidding to the dude's who don't know! ). And guess what happens when your having fun on a bike? You tend to ride better! Another thing I can contest too.
jeffro503
11/15/2018 6:49pm
Btw....I've got some experimenting to do with this damn Mikuni on my 250 , but I'm not forgetting about a Lectron on my 250. I did the PWK / STIC mod conversion on my 125.....and it's night and day stronger every where. May go that route on the 250 too , but then again , may try the Lectron. Just don't know anything about them.
BR8ES
11/15/2018 7:07pm
Old guys and small bores... welcome aboard!
BR8ES
11/15/2018 7:08pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Btw....I've got some experimenting to do with this damn Mikuni on my 250 , but I'm not forgetting about a Lectron on my 250. I did...
Btw....I've got some experimenting to do with this damn Mikuni on my 250 , but I'm not forgetting about a Lectron on my 250. I did the PWK / STIC mod conversion on my 125.....and it's night and day stronger every where. May go that route on the 250 too , but then again , may try the Lectron. Just don't know anything about them.
Skip the Lectron... if you must experiment, go Smart Carb.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
11/15/2018 7:10pm
Man thats doing it right with that set up , AWSOME
Talisker
11/15/2018 8:31pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Btw....I've got some experimenting to do with this damn Mikuni on my 250 , but I'm not forgetting about a Lectron on my 250. I did...
BR8ES wrote:
Always wondered whats the difference or selling points of each carb?
DynoDan22
11/15/2018 9:04pm
I'm 44 and buying a 150sx was the best decision I made. If anyone is on the fence about going to a small bore smoker from a 450, do it. The modern 125's and especially the 150 aren't the bog-o-matic peaky motors of the '80's and '90's. They are impressive! If you are on the fence, do what you can to take a few laps on a newer orange 125 or 150sx. I'm glad I did!
jeffro503
11/15/2018 9:11pm
jeffro503 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Talisker wrote:
I'd like to know that too. I don't know much , if anything about either one of them. I have read on here from a lot of guys who were really impressed by the Lectron's. Honestly , I know the Mikuni " can be " a great carb when jetted right , but my main problem is that they are so sensitive. My PWK is pretty bullet proof , and it need's no jetting changes from about 45 - 95 degree's. The little it needs in between can be fixed with air screw adjustment's. Below 45 she seem's a bit lean , and after about 90-95 degree's it seems to run a bit fat. The Mikuni?......I have to rejet that damn thing any time it changes 15 degree's. Becomes a pain in the ass.
Pirate421
11/16/2018 2:15am
I had a lectron on my 250sx. I liked it initially but could never get it perfect. It wasn’t as set and forget as I thought it would be. I ended up taking it off and putting Keihin back on with jd kit. I much preferred the jd combo as I thought the lectron was too flat power wise. It was smooth but there was no snap anymore and buddies who rode my bike weren’t huge fans of that either. Overall it may be ok if you are changing thousands of feet in elevation during a weekend but if you ride mx and the elevation and temp stays relatively stable a keihin with proper jetting is another thing to look at.
Jrewing
11/16/2018 2:26am
Dude nice bike!
I’ve been on my hotted up Honda 125 for months now. Did a ktm test day and am getting a 350 to go with it. Loved the kato 125 and was dead set on a 150sx but the 350 impressed me most and changed my mind.
Perfect world I’d have a 150sx and 350sxf.
450 are going the way of the 500 class I think.
BR8ES
11/16/2018 5:49am
BR8ES wrote:
Talisker wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
I'd like to know that too. I don't know much , if anything about either one of them. I have read on here from a lot...
I'd like to know that too. I don't know much , if anything about either one of them. I have read on here from a lot of guys who were really impressed by the Lectron's. Honestly , I know the Mikuni " can be " a great carb when jetted right , but my main problem is that they are so sensitive. My PWK is pretty bullet proof , and it need's no jetting changes from about 45 - 95 degree's. The little it needs in between can be fixed with air screw adjustment's. Below 45 she seem's a bit lean , and after about 90-95 degree's it seems to run a bit fat. The Mikuni?......I have to rejet that damn thing any time it changes 15 degree's. Becomes a pain in the ass.
Fully external adjustments for one, better made and just more modern. I have had them all.
Talisker
11/16/2018 7:24am
Talisker wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
I'd like to know that too. I don't know much , if anything about either one of them. I have read on here from a lot...
BR8ES wrote:
Fully external adjustments for one, better made and just more modern. I have had them all.
What one do you prefer or recommend?
cslacker
11/16/2018 9:39am
jeffro503 wrote:
If you run mainly moto and don't care about fuel economy than PWK/STIC is the route to go on your 250 also. Some love the lectron though.
cslacker
11/16/2018 9:46am
jeffro503 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Talisker wrote:
I've tried them all. PWK with the STIC metering system produces the most power hands down. It also is set it and forget it unless you are talking 50+ degree temperature swings. even then it's a needle clip or main jet adjustment which takes 5 minutes.

Smart Carb was never perfect, always close but never there. I would click until the cows came home and it never was right. Also made the bottom end soft.

Lectron had many of the same issues as the SmartCarb with an added occasional bog that would come out of nowhere. Not the safest thing on an MX track.
EHink450
11/16/2018 9:55am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 9:58am
Congrats bro. Those fmf 2.1 pipes are sweet. Loving the forks to. How do you like the lectron carb?
c0ncEpT
11/16/2018 11:01am
Congrats! My buddy has the same bike Lectron and all. Its the best small bore I've ever ridden!
Gworm
11/16/2018 12:07pm
Congratulations Mike... I don’t know if you remember me from my heading, but I used to see you and Ol Man Jack a lot at the track.

Where do you usually ride? My daughter lives in Bentonville, and I fly for one of the many poultry producers out of Springdale, so I’m down that way a lot. We neeed to get together for lunch sometime.

Greg Wormington
BR8ES
11/16/2018 12:33pm
jeffro503 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Talisker wrote:
Smart Carb all the way.
Bultaco
11/16/2018 1:01pm
Congrats on the fun and nice ride.
11/16/2018 4:44pm
EHink450 wrote:
Congrats bro. Those fmf 2.1 pipes are sweet. Loving the forks to. How do you like the lectron carb?
it's a well made carb and pretty easy to adjust, the mid-top especially. It's night and day better than the stock Mikuni,.which i saw right away was gonna need constant adjustment unless the temp was about the same each weekend.

I'm still learning how to quickly fine tune it. My goal is to get a feel of the correct setting depending on temp and humidity etc before i go to the track if there is a huge change from one weekend to the next. I can say for sure that the entire power range is crisp and strong when its right, and its pretty easy to get it right once you think like the Lectron guys.

11/16/2018 4:49pm
BR8ES wrote:
Talisker wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Smart Carb all the way.
If my 150 had come with a Kehin I probably wouldn't have gone with the Lectron. The Mikuni is a pain and waters down the fun factor
11/16/2018 4:53pm
Gworm wrote:
Congratulations Mike... I don’t know if you remember me from my heading, but I used to see you and Ol Man Jack a lot at the...
Congratulations Mike... I don’t know if you remember me from my heading, but I used to see you and Ol Man Jack a lot at the track.

Where do you usually ride? My daughter lives in Bentonville, and I fly for one of the many poultry producers out of Springdale, so I’m down that way a lot. We neeed to get together for lunch sometime.

Greg Wormington
Heck yeah I remember you Greg! It would be great seeing you again! My cell # is 479-721-8004, looking forward to catching up.
11/16/2018 4:59pm
jeffro503 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
BR8ES I've heard the exact opposite about the Smart Carb too. Personally I think a PWK would have been great for motocross but they get pricey along with a JD jet kit or the STIC mod.

I chose the Lectron mostly because Of watching Shelby Pagett's Vital MX Utube videos. He is really pumped on them. I'm sure his was free though lol!
11/16/2018 5:01pm
Congrats on that fun machine Mike! Been riding a tc250 with cv’s and lectron for the last 2 years, been a blast. Enjoy!?
Heck yeah!
NeedMoto
11/16/2018 7:30pm
BR8ES wrote:
Talisker wrote:
cslacker wrote:
I've tried them all. PWK with the STIC metering system produces the most power hands down. It also is set it and forget it unless you...
I've tried them all. PWK with the STIC metering system produces the most power hands down. It also is set it and forget it unless you are talking 50+ degree temperature swings. even then it's a needle clip or main jet adjustment which takes 5 minutes.

Smart Carb was never perfect, always close but never there. I would click until the cows came home and it never was right. Also made the bottom end soft.

Lectron had many of the same issues as the SmartCarb with an added occasional bog that would come out of nowhere. Not the safest thing on an MX track.
cslacker nailed it^^^ I agree with his sentiments, tried them all as well.

Post a reply to: Spoke with my wallet. Braaap!

The Latest