Spoke with my wallet

SocalMXer
Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 1:42pm

Got the last 2016 250sxf from my dealer last week, everything on the bike is a work of art.... except the forks. Forks are shit.. but we already have an attack plan to fix em. KTM continues to produce quality bikes and support which is why I chose them over the other brands for the first time! At 23, I am pretty proud to own such a beautiful bike and buy my very first brand new bike on my own. Any suggestions for sprocket set up, best after market exhaust, etc?
|
mxb2
12/7/2015 12:31pm
Nice, congrats on the new whip
EcoSX478
12/7/2015 12:44pm
I would put a FMF slip-on it to start. Have Dubya lace up some A60s on your stock hub unless you have money to spare for new hubs. Send your ECU out to Tokyo Mods to get it mapped for a pipe and or race fuel. That's all you really will need for essentials other than the forks. Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!
SocalMXer
12/7/2015 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2015 12:57pm
EcoSX478 wrote:
I would put a FMF slip-on it to start. Have Dubya lace up some A60s on your stock hub unless you have money to spare for...
I would put a FMF slip-on it to start. Have Dubya lace up some A60s on your stock hub unless you have money to spare for new hubs. Send your ECU out to Tokyo Mods to get it mapped for a pipe and or race fuel. That's all you really will need for essentials other than the forks. Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!
Have you had bad experience with the stock excels? What does Tokyo Mods charge for the ECU remapping? Id be going with the FMF slip on

edit: went online and saw the service for $98.00 doesnt seem too bad

The Shop

Motofinne
12/7/2015 1:26pm
I'm not sure if you can get HGS pipes in USA but they are very good, and afforable!
Zycki11
12/7/2015 1:44pm
Honest question, how much does the tokyo mods ecu remap help? Also what does it do?
EcoSX478
12/7/2015 2:30pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Honest question, how much does the tokyo mods ecu remap help? Also what does it do?
You will need a remap if you put an aftermarket exhuast on the bike. In addition to that, you'll need a remap if you run race fuel. The bike won't run healthy if you don't. If your running pump gas and keep the exhuast stock then there's no need unless your make modifications to the engine. Do some Google work to help you understand what a remap actually does.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/7/2015 2:37pm
Congrats! I bought my first brand new bike myself 2 years ago when I was 23. It's a good feeling doing it on your own. I say before you do anything to it go out and ride it completely stock. That way you know which direction you want to go with it. And I agree with the guy above that set get some excel A60 rims. The regular excels don't seem to hold up like they did a few years back. My dad went through three front rims in less than a year and I flattened one so bad I could feel it when jumping. The get flat spots pretty easy now.
Zycki11
12/7/2015 2:55pm
Zycki11 wrote:
EcoSX478 wrote:
You will need a remap if you put an aftermarket exhuast on the bike. In addition to that, you'll need a remap if you run race...
You will need a remap if you put an aftermarket exhuast on the bike. In addition to that, you'll need a remap if you run race fuel. The bike won't run healthy if you don't. If your running pump gas and keep the exhuast stock then there's no need unless your make modifications to the engine. Do some Google work to help you understand what a remap actually does.
Yeah, I have been looking into it lately. I put a TI FMF on and it runs fine, but it really lost the low end throttle response and snap it had. I understand the FMF takes some off the bottom and moves it to the mid/top end, but it seems that crisp snappiness is gone.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
12/7/2015 2:58pm
X2 ride it. Then start changing things so you know if it really did anything . The standard 1 tooth up in the rear. Helps. The stock header pipe is good. I would add a slip on You won't really notice much of a difference though . The stock radiators will bend if you look at them to hard. A Moto seat seat cover. Get your susspenssion in order and enjoy the ride
12/7/2015 4:07pm
IMO tear it down and powder coat the frame orange, then get the Factory Edition graphics.

what bike are you coming off from? How big of an upgrade is it for you?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
12/7/2015 4:11pm
Congrats! Great looking bike..

Ignore the "spoke with my wallet is only for 2s" guy...
Pirate421
12/7/2015 4:35pm
I may be of the minority but I like the stock color combo it's real clean and simple and I never cared for the factory edition with the red bull graphics. Maybe because there aren't many '16s out but they look clean
EcoSX478
12/7/2015 4:41pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Yeah, I have been looking into it lately. I put a TI FMF on and it runs fine, but it really lost the low end throttle...
Yeah, I have been looking into it lately. I put a TI FMF on and it runs fine, but it really lost the low end throttle response and snap it had. I understand the FMF takes some off the bottom and moves it to the mid/top end, but it seems that crisp snappiness is gone.
Hmmm. That doesn't sound right. Did you get your ECU remapped for the FMF? If not, I would get on that. Even though it's only a slip-on compared to a full system, you still should get that remapped to that specific exhuast.
12/7/2015 4:51pm
I would just gear that bad boy down two teeth in the rear, and spend whatever is neccasary to make the suspension to your liking.. Other than... maybe race gas.
Spergen
12/7/2015 5:05pm
Congratulations I'm very jealous, been a few years since my last new bike. So how long have you spent in the garage just looking at it ? If it was mine I would just ride it, and fine tune from there. Any spare cash for a pipe etc I would spend on training days with a pro. They are a good day out and really improve your riding. That bike stock is faster than 99% of us on vital need.
SocalMXer
12/7/2015 6:10pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Yeah, I have been looking into it lately. I put a TI FMF on and it runs fine, but it really lost the low end throttle...
Really? interested because I felt a loss of bottom end on the stock set up as it was. couldnt imagine it getting worse with the FMF?
SocalMXer
12/7/2015 6:12pm
Spergen wrote:
Congratulations I'm very jealous, been a few years since my last new bike. So how long have you spent in the garage just looking at it...
Congratulations I'm very jealous, been a few years since my last new bike. So how long have you spent in the garage just looking at it ? If it was mine I would just ride it, and fine tune from there. Any spare cash for a pipe etc I would spend on training days with a pro. They are a good day out and really improve your riding. That bike stock is faster than 99% of us on vital need.
have a great suspension company out of NorCal called TM Suspension. Real great guy out of his garage that set up my 2013 RMZ to rail ruts like a hot knife through butter. ECU remapping is also on the list once I decide on the exhaust set up. The expansion champer on the stock exhaust cant be much different than the megabomb header from FMF can it?
SocalMXer
12/7/2015 6:13pm
I would just gear that bad boy down two teeth in the rear, and spend whatever is neccasary to make the suspension to your liking.. Other...
I would just gear that bad boy down two teeth in the rear, and spend whatever is neccasary to make the suspension to your liking.. Other than... maybe race gas.
I ride sandy deep tracks during the winter, best to do this during this time and then gear back up during the dry season?
SocalMXer
12/7/2015 6:14pm
Spergen wrote:
Congratulations I'm very jealous, been a few years since my last new bike. So how long have you spent in the garage just looking at it...
its in my living room, if that gives you any idea of how much drooling has been going on in this house haha
SocalMXer
12/7/2015 6:14pm
Brad460 wrote:
Congrats! Great looking bike..

Ignore the "spoke with my wallet is only for 2s" guy...
ah shoot I wish I could have given you guys that 2016 KTM tease, but this is a good enough tease for me!
SocalMXer
12/7/2015 6:15pm
Motofinne wrote:
I'm not sure if you can get HGS pipes in USA but they are very good, and afforable!
have any pictures? maybe we could set up a "you buy it, I pay you" transaction?? if your honest..
SocalMXer
12/7/2015 6:16pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I may be of the minority but I like the stock color combo it's real clean and simple and I never cared for the factory edition...
I may be of the minority but I like the stock color combo it's real clean and simple and I never cared for the factory edition with the red bull graphics. Maybe because there aren't many '16s out but they look clean
Ya I agree, I mean the orange frames a re cool and all but I feel like every KTM has them now. Its the beauty of owning a bike, make it your own!
stangkag
12/7/2015 6:18pm
Congrats on the badass Katoom man, now go pop a wheelie and post pics!!!
elfrago
12/7/2015 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2015 6:44pm
Spergen wrote:
X2 Training days with a pro are invaluable compared to a pipe, those things already breathe fire when they're stock and getting coaching from a pro will teach you how to use all that power CoolCheerful and nice bike by the way man
Zycki11
12/7/2015 8:43pm
Zycki11 wrote:
EcoSX478 wrote:
Hmmm. That doesn't sound right. Did you get your ECU remapped for the FMF? If not, I would get on that. Even though it's only a...
Hmmm. That doesn't sound right. Did you get your ECU remapped for the FMF? If not, I would get on that. Even though it's only a slip-on compared to a full system, you still should get that remapped to that specific exhuast.
Apples to oranges. I wasn't trying to hijack his thread. Congrats on the new ktm bud. I am on a yamaha with full TI FMF. The ktm notoriously lacks bottom end and revs to the moon. I heard yosh has a excellent pipe for it.
Motofinne
12/8/2015 12:19am
Motofinne wrote:
SocalMXer wrote:
have any pictures? maybe we could set up a "you buy it, I pay you" transaction?? if your honest..
Actually BUD racing USA are the importers! https://www.budracing-usa.com/us/

Here is one pic, not the best but it's the brand new model for 2016 KTMs.

walent215
12/8/2015 4:44am
Our friend bought a 16 450sxf about a month ago....the spokes on both wheels let go ..the front wheel did it on his first ride and the rear did it this past Saturday while we were practicing at lacr....he said his dealer , Malcolm Smith Motorsports, replaced the front wheel right away! He called them from the track when the rear wheel came apart and they are going to take care of it....they said the spokes were made with thinner gauge steel this year and that is the culprit. I'm assuming the 250 had the same "upgrade" ,so I would check with your dealer or research it beforehand ....I have read other reports of this issue so I believe it is not an isolated occurrence.

Post a reply to: Spoke with my wallet

The Latest