Spoke with my money... and its smokin

12/18/2017 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2017 5:11pm
So I've been a 450 rider since I moved out to California in 2015 and I've been feeling lately that it has been making me a lazy rider. I evaluated myself and realized my corner entry speed and overall corner speed was lacking. Every time i'd hop on a buddy's 125, not only did i have the time of my life, but i found myself charging harder into corners and reteaching myself how to use the rear brake effectively (on a 450, engine braking suffices for my skill level). So I've been searching for a good condition 125 to add to my stable.

After a lot of patience, I found the little brother to my KX 450. Here's my (new to me) 2004 KX 125 (and its fearless pilot Grinning )

I'm pretty anal about my controls on my bikes, and the stock front brake was barely functional to my standards. I went ahead and swapped over the entire front brake setup from my 15' KX 450, so now it has a 270mm front rotor and modern caliper+master cylinder. Needless to say the bike can slow down (almost too well)!

Here's a run down of how it currently is set up:

Black DNA Wheels and green hubs with heavy duty spokes
Black Powder coated frame and subframe
Dunlop MX3S tires
RaceTech gold valves front and rear with springs for a 180lb rider.
2015 KXF front fender
2015 KXF Cycra front number plate
2015 KX450F Front brake rotor, caliper, Galfer braided line, and master cylinder
2015 KX450F Clutch perch
Boyesen Factory Clutch Cover
Boyesen Factory Ignition Cover
Brand new rebuilt motor: all bearings replaced (including trans bearings)
Hotrods crank
Wiseco piston
Pro Circuit Works Pipe
Pro Circuit R-304 Shorty Silencer
Boyesen RC-2 Rad Valve
No-Toil air filter
SDG Gripper Seat

Here I am blasting a berm at Pala this past weekend! Loving the bike so far!

Love having a fully stocked 2 wheeled stable!

|
RBernardi85
12/18/2017 7:18pm
Nice! Looks good and definitely a solid bike.
usafwx
12/18/2017 7:20pm
Gorgeous!
jeffro503
12/18/2017 7:21pm
Oh hell yeah Bryan! She looks like a nice bike too. Glad to see you picked one up. I swear to god that since this last April when I picked up my little TC125....it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I was in the same boat as you , as I was feeling " lazy " on my 450's. That and I didn't want to ride something that fast any more during longer motos. Some guys hate em'.....but most fall in love with them , because they will re-teach you a lot of things you forgot about. Momentum and the lack of power are two of them. Use more skill instead of relying on power to get you over everything. Hope you have a blast on her!
12/18/2017 7:33pm
Thanks Jeff! Having so much fun with it.

However, currently battling some carb issues. This damn Mikuni is more stubborn than a toddler in Toys R Us. If i slam into a soft berm or land hard off a big jump, i get a serious bog. Thinking its the float level. Tearing into it tomorrow. Might just invest in a SmartCarb or Lectron.

The Shop

moore433
12/18/2017 7:41pm
Congrats!! You will have way more fun on the 125 than the 4 banger....
jeffro503
12/18/2017 7:43pm
Thanks Jeff! Having so much fun with it. However, currently battling some carb issues. This damn Mikuni is more stubborn than a toddler in Toys R...

However, currently battling some carb issues. This damn Mikuni is more stubborn than a toddler in Toys R Us. If i slam into a soft berm or land hard off a big jump, i get a serious bog. Thinking its the float level. Tearing into it tomorrow. Might just invest in a SmartCarb or Lectron.
Bryan....so weird you just said that! I rode this past weekend at about 35 degrees in the morning , and then warmed up to upper 40's. First few practices , it kept bogging on me after I let off from full throttle. It got better as it warmed up , but really got me thinking about a Lectron. After first practice , I had mud and dirt every where , and didn't want to tear into my carb. Would be worth it I think for the " on the fly " adjustments. I just need some input from guys who run it in mx. I have hear that the Mikuni and Kehin carbs are better when tuned right.....but I don't know what that actually means yet. Still trying to figure that out.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
12/18/2017 8:53pm
Thanks Jeff! Having so much fun with it. However, currently battling some carb issues. This damn Mikuni is more stubborn than a toddler in Toys R...

jeffro503 wrote:
Bryan....so weird you just said that! I rode this past weekend at about 35 degrees in the morning , and then warmed up to upper 40's...
Bryan....so weird you just said that! I rode this past weekend at about 35 degrees in the morning , and then warmed up to upper 40's. First few practices , it kept bogging on me after I let off from full throttle. It got better as it warmed up , but really got me thinking about a Lectron. After first practice , I had mud and dirt every where , and didn't want to tear into my carb. Would be worth it I think for the " on the fly " adjustments. I just need some input from guys who run it in mx. I have hear that the Mikuni and Kehin carbs are better when tuned right.....but I don't know what that actually means yet. Still trying to figure that out.
Yo Jeffro, I tried the Lectron on my KTM 125. It was very smooth and easy to adjust, but I didn’t have any luck getting it perfect all over like a normal carb.

Personally I think they are better for trail riding than MX track. I got rid of the Lectron and got a JD jet kit, haven’t touched it since.
jeffro503
12/18/2017 9:38pm

jeffro503 wrote:
Bryan....so weird you just said that! I rode this past weekend at about 35 degrees in the morning , and then warmed up to upper 40's...
Yo Jeffro, I tried the Lectron on my KTM 125. It was very smooth and easy to adjust, but I didn’t have any luck getting it...
Yo Jeffro, I tried the Lectron on my KTM 125. It was very smooth and easy to adjust, but I didn’t have any luck getting it perfect all over like a normal carb.

Personally I think they are better for trail riding than MX track. I got rid of the Lectron and got a JD jet kit, haven’t touched it since.
Yeah? I thought about getting the JD kit , and also thought I might try a Kenhin carb. I know the one on my RM is pretty bullet proof and easier to get jetted correctly. This Mikuni is temperamental.
12/19/2017 8:31am
The bike runs great otherwise. Super crisp fat power in the mid-range and rewards me when I shift a lot. I never used 1st gear on a motocross track before this bike, much needed in tight corners and ruts! So much fun.
Rohr144
12/19/2017 10:27am
I try to stand far away from kawasaki two strokes after the nightmare of a bike I had. 02 kx125. But your bike sure is sweet..
Donovan759
12/19/2017 10:29am
Bike looks awesome! Congrats.
PJRAUS
12/19/2017 12:06pm
Nice bike! Cute puppy too! Those old kx's were renowned for their mushy front brakes , I had a few of them myself..was forever trying to find that elusive bubble of air in the front..
125's are the shit for certain...I've still only got 3 hours on my new 450 and I guess half of that is from it sitting there idling or whatever...
Last time I raced it was mud city and I went down on that 450 both motos ....totally ruined my race as it was all over by the time I got the big beast started again...nothing more exhausting than manhandling a 240 pound machine with another 40 pounds of wet clay stuck to it!
Flip109
12/19/2017 12:45pm
Had an 03 once upon a time. Super fun bike! The rims really make yours look bitchin. Nothing better than having the best of both worlds. Congrats!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
12/19/2017 2:26pm
Nice! Everyone should ride a 125 for a year for training purposes. They make you fast!
12/19/2017 3:03pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Nice bike! Cute puppy too! Those old kx's were renowned for their mushy front brakes , I had a few of them myself..was forever trying to...
Nice bike! Cute puppy too! Those old kx's were renowned for their mushy front brakes , I had a few of them myself..was forever trying to find that elusive bubble of air in the front..
125's are the shit for certain...I've still only got 3 hours on my new 450 and I guess half of that is from it sitting there idling or whatever...
Last time I raced it was mud city and I went down on that 450 both motos ....totally ruined my race as it was all over by the time I got the big beast started again...nothing more exhausting than manhandling a 240 pound machine with another 40 pounds of wet clay stuck to it!
Yeah i tried salvaging the stock configuration... rebuilt the caliper and master cylinder, fresh fluid and bled the crap out of it for like 45 minutes... it was better but still felt really mushy. I hate the feeling of not being confident in the braking on a bike. The more trust i have in the braking, the faster i can ride and the harder i can push.
MikeID
12/19/2017 6:42pm
That is awesome!!!

Post a reply to: Spoke with my money... and its smokin

The Latest