Speedway on RacerX

hvaughn88
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2014 6:32pm
Just read through the article and pictures Racer X did of the speedway races at Costa Mesa Speedway. Holy hell, that looks like a good time! Well done, Davey
Racer X Speedway Article
|
DC
5/19/2014 6:47am
Thanks, it was a blast and I wanted to share the photos and help them get some more folks there. Harley Night on May 31 sounds like it's going to be a great night, so if you're around the Costa Mesa area, get out to the Fairgrounds and check it all out!

DC
MX Sports
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/19/2014 7:19am
I've gone to speedway races around So. Cal. off and on since the mid-70s. Definitely a good time. It's like going to a party and a race breaks out.
hvaughn88
5/19/2014 7:24am
Every time I see clips of speedway racing, I have flashbacks to that segment in Steel Roots with MC and Button riding with that chick. The expression on MC's face when she is putting on her leathers is priceless. "It's speedway time!" - Button

The Shop

JordanB
5/19/2014 7:39am
What used to be the best at Costa Mesa was the bikini contest. Do they still do that?
No shit, fishing line and bubblegum wrappers for bikinis. Not enough the cover the nips, and barely enough to cover the lips.

And the racing never disappointed. Those guys go for it.
braaap
Fantasy
2193rd
5/19/2014 9:02am
Had the opportunity to ride one many years ago. Man, what a different beast of a machine compared to MX. Much respect to those dudes.

Bought a RMZ250 from a guy a few weeks ago and this was in his garage. I was there a long time just listening to his racing stories.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/19/2014 9:07am
So, anyone who likes speedway and you're coming to Hangtown in two weeks, head up Friday night to Auburn, about a 1/2 hour from Prairie City, to Fast Fridays. Get a little more moto action in the weekend.

http://www.fastfridays.com
hvaughn88
5/19/2014 9:07am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2014 9:07am
I have some questions for you guys that know a thing or two about it. Obviously, Arkansas isn't really a mecca for motorsports, to say the least, so my exposure to a variety of different disciplines is limited. But what the hell do these bikes consist of? What kind of motors, transmissions, brakes (or lack thereof), starting procedures? What ages do people start in it? How long are races, is the sport doing well, what kind of turnouts, payouts, how much do the top guys make, etc. I know these are a ton of questions and I will probably get a response of "google it" but I know I absolutely nothing about it. All I know is all the videos I have seen for speedway racing are very entertaining and I just wanna know more about it.
Grizz
5/19/2014 9:19am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Every time I see clips of speedway racing, I have flashbacks to that segment in Steel Roots with MC and Button riding with that chick. The...
Every time I see clips of speedway racing, I have flashbacks to that segment in Steel Roots with MC and Button riding with that chick. The expression on MC's face when she is putting on her leathers is priceless. "It's speedway time!" - Button
This! Exactly this hahaha

I've always wanted to try it since watching that.
abn166
5/19/2014 9:42am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I have some questions for you guys that know a thing or two about it. Obviously, Arkansas isn't really a mecca for motorsports, to say the...
I have some questions for you guys that know a thing or two about it. Obviously, Arkansas isn't really a mecca for motorsports, to say the least, so my exposure to a variety of different disciplines is limited. But what the hell do these bikes consist of? What kind of motors, transmissions, brakes (or lack thereof), starting procedures? What ages do people start in it? How long are races, is the sport doing well, what kind of turnouts, payouts, how much do the top guys make, etc. I know these are a ton of questions and I will probably get a response of "google it" but I know I absolutely nothing about it. All I know is all the videos I have seen for speedway racing are very entertaining and I just wanna know more about it.
most bikes have JAWA or GM motors. There is no transmission, just a primary chain or belt from the motor to the clutch. The brakes consist of the bottom of your boots. The bikes do not have kick starters they must be push started. The races are 4, 6 or 8 laps. compared to the 70's and 80's the sport is doing so so. back then the turnout was huge at all of the tracks we raced at. The payout was much better back then too. On a very good night back then guys could get checks just over $2000. Now over $400 would be a good night.
hvaughn88
5/19/2014 9:45am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I have some questions for you guys that know a thing or two about it. Obviously, Arkansas isn't really a mecca for motorsports, to say the...
abn166 wrote:
most bikes have JAWA or GM motors. There is no transmission, just a primary chain or belt from the motor to the clutch. The brakes consist...
most bikes have JAWA or GM motors. There is no transmission, just a primary chain or belt from the motor to the clutch. The brakes consist of the bottom of your boots. The bikes do not have kick starters they must be push started. The races are 4, 6 or 8 laps. compared to the 70's and 80's the sport is doing so so. back then the turnout was huge at all of the tracks we raced at. The payout was much better back then too. On a very good night back then guys could get checks just over $2000. Now over $400 would be a good night.
thanks for the info, abn. Sounds like a crazy-ass sport and I'm definitely gonna have to make it to a race sometime and see the spectacle in person. I guess the money side has gone the same way as a bunch of other motorsports, as well.
stvh
5/19/2014 9:56am
Some of the new young guys are very talented. There are now some second generation kids as well, such as Kurtis Hamill and Broc Nicoll. We go to several races a year and can say that the future of American speedway looks pretty good right now.
JordanB
5/19/2014 10:02am
They run pure castor oil (not a 20% blend or anything like 927 ) and methanol. (at least I hope they still do) And it smells good.

It was always part of the show. Like Nitro at Nhra events. That smell. It smelled like racing. Addictive. Maybe worse than drugs.

Motocross lost alot of that when it set the rules to make 2 strokes not competitive in their classes.
PressPassP
5/19/2014 11:59am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2014 12:08pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
abn166 wrote:
most bikes have JAWA or GM motors. There is no transmission, just a primary chain or belt from the motor to the clutch. The brakes consist...
hvaughn88 wrote:
thanks for the info, abn. Sounds like a crazy-ass sport and I'm definitely gonna have to make it to a race sometime and see the spectacle...
thanks for the info, abn. Sounds like a crazy-ass sport and I'm definitely gonna have to make it to a race sometime and see the spectacle in person. I guess the money side has gone the same way as a bunch of other motorsports, as well.
The money's much better in Europe where a lot of the young guys aspire to and pretty much a majority of the older guys have been, mainly team events although there's the individual World Championship rounds.This year we've got a new young American here at my hometown club Ipswich,Gino Manzeras who's finding his feet pretty well in what is the 2nd Division,the tracks are generally much bigger and it takes some adapting

You get paid per point mostly,doing a deal at the start of the season but there's a league in Sweden on Tuesdays which you can earn at again,and many of the top guys do the Polish league on a Sunday,the schedule can really heavy but lucrative.Put it this way,I raced pro for quite a few years,never did the Polish League but made a living at it ok,sadly it put me in a chair but wouldn't change it,when it's going well there's no better job than racing bikes afterall

Hey live Speedway on now,British Elite League at Arena Essex,probably the smallest track over here actually Sky Sports 2
http://www.hdfoots.com/skysports-2-live-streaming.html
hvaughn88
5/19/2014 12:05pm
PressPassP wrote:
The money's much better in Europe where a lot of the young guys aspire to and pretty much a majority of the older guys have been...
The money's much better in Europe where a lot of the young guys aspire to and pretty much a majority of the older guys have been, mainly team events although there's the individual World Championship rounds.This year we've got a new young American here at my hometown club Ipswich,Gino Manzeras who's finding his feet pretty well in what is the 2nd Division,the tracks are generally much bigger and it takes some adapting

You get paid per point mostly,doing a deal at the start of the season but there's a league in Sweden on Tuesdays which you can earn at again,and many of the top guys do the Polish league on a Sunday,the schedule can really heavy but lucrative.Put it this way,I raced pro for quite a few years,never did the Polish League but made a living at it ok,sadly it put me in a chair but wouldn't change it,when it's going well there's no better job than racing bikes afterall

Hey live Speedway on now,British Elite League at Arena Essex,probably the smallest track over here actually Sky Sports 2
Man, I really hate to hear that bud. I must say, though, after reading your profile and your comment, I have a great amount of respect for your attitude about your injury. I appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge on speedway. Keep it up man!
philG
5/19/2014 2:57pm
abn166 wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
thanks for the info, abn. Sounds like a crazy-ass sport and I'm definitely gonna have to make it to a race sometime and see the spectacle...
PressPassP wrote:
The money's much better in Europe where a lot of the young guys aspire to and pretty much a majority of the older guys have been...

just watched that match , proper close , good racing on a good track , nothing better than a good speedway meeting , nothing worse than a bad one. Lots of good MX lads making the switch here now , they can make money instead of just spending it .

Used to go every tuesday to Leicester when i was a kid , no silencers or dirt deflectors back then .

I live 15 mins from Brandon, but not been for ages , but never miss a match on TV , as its ideal midweek entertainment , GP's i can take or leave , although i have been to Cardiff, when Woffinden came in for a reserve ride in heat 20 , and led for 2 1/2 laps..the roof nearly came off.

Sorry you took a bad one , who did you ride for and when , will have seen you at some point for sure.
Mx_Pain
5/19/2014 3:01pm
I race MX and some Speedway for fun. It might look boring but its a blast. 70 Horsepower in a simple steelframe. No brakes no gears. Just throttle and clutch. If u ever have the chance, please try it.

My ride:
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
5/19/2014 4:49pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
PressPassP wrote:

philG wrote:
just watched that match , proper close , good racing on a good track , nothing better than a good speedway meeting , nothing worse than...
just watched that match , proper close , good racing on a good track , nothing better than a good speedway meeting , nothing worse than a bad one. Lots of good MX lads making the switch here now , they can make money instead of just spending it .

Used to go every tuesday to Leicester when i was a kid , no silencers or dirt deflectors back then .

I live 15 mins from Brandon, but not been for ages , but never miss a match on TV , as its ideal midweek entertainment , GP's i can take or leave , although i have been to Cardiff, when Woffinden came in for a reserve ride in heat 20 , and led for 2 1/2 laps..the roof nearly came off.

Sorry you took a bad one , who did you ride for and when , will have seen you at some point for sure.
Jake Nicol quite often posts pics of watching grass track and speedway, would love to see some english racing, or even better, get some kiwi's back racing again, the glorys days of Mauger, Briggsand Ronnie Moore are a long time ago now
PressPassP
5/19/2014 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2014 5:47pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
PressPassP wrote:

philG wrote:
just watched that match , proper close , good racing on a good track , nothing better than a good speedway meeting , nothing worse than...

Yeah lots of guys from MX,I grew up racing MX with Chris Louis and he got me to try it,like you say,you can earn instead of spend.Worral Kerr,Lawson and more are all ex MX if I'm correct,do you remember Seemond Stephens? He rode for TM a while back before Speedway,we ended up at Exeter together,

Great to see Leicester running again in the Elite League but I think Coventry's days might be numbered,I was at Rye House,Edinburgh,Oxford,Ipswich and Exeter,my crash was at Newport in 2002,Oxford 98/99 and Ipswich 2000 Elite league would've been on Sky Sports I guess,

Jake only lives across town,Guy sponsors a lot of riders,Jake did a Grasstrack last year,it's only a matter of time before he has a skid,that'll be interesting!

You should give it a try if you can Phil,what a buzz,totally alien to anything else though Supermoto included!
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
5/19/2014 6:32pm
PressPassP wrote:
Yeah lots of guys from MX,I grew up racing MX with Chris Louis and he got me to try it,like you say,you can earn instead of...
Yeah lots of guys from MX,I grew up racing MX with Chris Louis and he got me to try it,like you say,you can earn instead of spend.Worral Kerr,Lawson and more are all ex MX if I'm correct,do you remember Seemond Stephens? He rode for TM a while back before Speedway,we ended up at Exeter together,

Great to see Leicester running again in the Elite League but I think Coventry's days might be numbered,I was at Rye House,Edinburgh,Oxford,Ipswich and Exeter,my crash was at Newport in 2002,Oxford 98/99 and Ipswich 2000 Elite league would've been on Sky Sports I guess,

Jake only lives across town,Guy sponsors a lot of riders,Jake did a Grasstrack last year,it's only a matter of time before he has a skid,that'll be interesting!

You should give it a try if you can Phil,what a buzz,totally alien to anything else though Supermoto included!
i have been meaning to give it a go as well, i have done every other sort of motorcycle racing so would love to give that a try,

Post a reply to: Speedway on RacerX

The Latest