Speed gap between c class to b class to a class

yz133rider
7/19/2020 5:10am
Anyone ever taken lap times at their local races to see the speed differences between the classes?

I think I’m going to try to get lap times at my next race. Hoping to race b class next year as I’ve finally started to get up front in c. Generally have ran smooth consistent races around mid pack in the past. But this year have been pushing a bit more and getting more comfortable. I won a Moto my first ever last week and now that has me thinking about b class for next year!

Just wondering what a good goal is to get by next year to be competitive in b. Lap times at most the tracks we race at are around 2:20-2:30 or so for myself.

Any input is great! And if the answer is I should just put a stop watch on the guys at the track then I’ll give that a shot!!
|
ElliotB16
7/19/2020 5:32am
At local level B class is normally a little faster. At the bigger races there’s a huge gap
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
7/19/2020 5:33am
Fast C riders can compete in the B class and fast B riders can compete in the A class. There has always been some overlap in my experience. If you can win C it’s time to move to B. Just practicing/racing with faster guys will make you faster. No need for the stopwatch. If you win, move up without to much worry.
7/19/2020 5:45am
I've compared lap times a LOT with the enduros and hare scrambles I run. Last year- my first year racing them- I ran the C class. After my first one, where I finished next to last, I typically finished in the top 5. Had I run B class, I would have won most of my races.

yz133rider
7/19/2020 5:45am
Park Boys wrote:
Fast C riders can compete in the B class and fast B riders can compete in the A class. There has always been some overlap in...
Fast C riders can compete in the B class and fast B riders can compete in the A class. There has always been some overlap in my experience. If you can win C it’s time to move to B. Just practicing/racing with faster guys will make you faster. No need for the stopwatch. If you win, move up without to much worry.
That makes sense, the one class I’m racing is 25+c and the other is called unlimited b/c it’s just an open class for b and c riders.

Have been Generally getting smoked in that class as I’m guessing really no other c class guys enter it.

I want to finish the series in these two classes as I haven’t done a whole series start to finish in like 10+ years. Next year def move to b as like you said if you can win In c it’s time for b.

The Shop

AxlBundy
7/19/2020 6:26am
If you think your ready, you probably are. Less goons to share the track with at each level bump
BikePilot
7/19/2020 6:41am
Yes definitely race the highest class that you can reasonably fit in, way more fun and better for development to be mid pack with a bunch of riders of similar abilities vs leading the group of slower riders. Also as you go up in class you tend to get fewer people out of control and so there’s less mayhem and better racing in general.
Mx451
7/19/2020 6:53am
AxlBundy wrote:
If you think your ready, you probably are. Less goons to share the track with at each level bump
Amen. Just went from 40b, where I was winning, to 40a where I'm a mid pack finisher. The difference in speed is obvious but I no longer feel like one of the riders might squirrel out and kill me. Makes me ride faster and frankly it's more fun to battle for 5th then cruise to a win.
7/19/2020 6:58am
Also you may find a lot of people are sandbagging in the C class, when I was progressing, I went from winning C to being right in the top few in B class, I was suprised there wasn’t more of a gap.
B to A is a bigger jump though as many people really want to be A class riders.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
7/19/2020 7:22am
Combine them all. Less classes and more motos please. Sitting around all damn day to ride 4 laps is a broken system.

yz133rider
7/19/2020 7:33am
Markee wrote:
Combine them all. Less classes and more motos please. Sitting around all damn day to ride 4 laps is a broken system.

The series I have is 14 total motos and 6 lap motos. It’s a bad ass series. Masters Mx series.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/19/2020 7:53am
I was also surprised at hiw well I did in B when I moved up. There is a lot of overlap.
spimx
7/19/2020 8:51am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2020 8:52am
Markee wrote:

This. The EMX is crazy. There are sometimes 40 classes with 2-4 riders in each class. All day sitting around waiting.
Transponder racing with qualifying laps is so fun, classes turn out a lot different.
DerickYZ
7/19/2020 9:18am
Depends on the district. Here in WNY is completely fucked. C class here kids have been in the class 3-5 years racing 95% of the weekends, winning and consistently finishing top 3, just enough to stay beneath the requirement to get bumped up.

I think C class is the most sandbagged class there is unfortunately however I would suggest if you can ride in B class comfortably then do it. Helps you develop.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/19/2020 9:26am
If you want to get faster and move up then put away the stop watch and when you practice and ride go ride with the fastest riders at the track at the time. Bust out practice motos with A riders and jump in behind the fast riders at the track and never run from the fast competition, seek it out and learn from it.
7/19/2020 12:00pm
But Nobody wants to get faster. They want to win and get Instagram photos.

C class is an infectious disease that not many wants to get out of. C class is always full. B class around 10-12 and A 2-6 at most. Year after year after year after year. Lame.

here is a local race near me:
30+ C - 22 riders : vet 30+ 7 riders.

stupid.

I can see vet A , B/C at a huge vet national Or something but other than that, that’s stupid.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
7/19/2020 12:06pm
All the 30+ racing i've done, I see top 3-5 in C should be in B. Top 3-5 in B should be in A class.

I moved up to B last year and local races I can do mid pack. I'm sure bigger races like Mammoth and World Vets, i'll be towards the back. There's sandbaggers in every class, but at least B has a more solid/safer group of riders you can learn from.

I just rode 30+ A/B, Old Timers MX Race at Washougal because the combined the classes due to lack of riders. This was last weekend and my lap times dropped significantly because I was cashing the faster guys(and track conditions got better).

Friday Practice Best Lap- 2:32
Saturday Race Best Lap- 2:30
Sunday Race Best Lap- 2:25
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
7/19/2020 12:38pm
Collect a couple1st overall trophies and then move up, it's good for your confidence. With that confidence you will have the mindset to run up front in the B class.
Naanak
7/19/2020 1:01pm
Here in NJ they go from winning C to immediately winning B.
aeffertz
7/19/2020 2:39pm
When I moved up from minis, I jumped straight into the B class because I felt I had gained enough racing experience throughout the years to not be a danger even if I was towards the back of the pack. The first timers that show up to the track on their craigslist special 250f and zero race experience go to the C class and that frightened me. Grinning

Luckily I was decent enough to not finish in last and racing with faster guys helped me get better faster.

If you've won a C class race, I'm sure you'll find your spot just fine in the B class.
Ktm909
Fantasy
1323rd
7/19/2020 2:44pm
A stopwatch should not be used to judge others just yourself. A long time ago my road racing mentor told me you and only you are racing that clock. You can use it to make your self better which is the ultimate goal. Using a litpro or something similar to track all your laps which will help tell you where you need to improve. Unless you are trying to be the next up and coming star just keep a good journal of all your racing, i.e. bike setup track,track conditions and so on. There are so many variables to determine what class you should be in but just be honest to who you are and race where you feel you belong In road racing at seasons end you score so many points and get moved up or can petition one time to stay novice but then you get moved up to expert, or finish in top ten at ccs race of champions at seasons end, then you are moved to expert at least that’s how it was along time ago. This also stops a lot of cheating and sandbagging. In the end just have fun and do your best safely that’s what really matters.
NeedMoto
7/19/2020 4:44pm
Sometimes the district (District 36) event will create it's own sandbaggers. Today I entered a GP race. Basically they combined all 3 tracks together, close to 6 minute lap times, fun as hell. Told them I normally race the expert class in most other events. They said do to the district bylaws and rules, that first time district 36 racers need to start out in the C class. I pleaded my case with one of the other reps, he stuck with the district rules as well. So yes... I was an official sandbagger today, won my moto without breaking a sweat. I went to the reps again after my moto, and tried for a bump up one more time. They still said no. Only way to bump up to the class I should be in, is to race enough events and point out.
Oh well... had a freaking blast running a combo of 3 tracks for a 45 minute moto.
7/19/2020 4:55pm
Park Boys wrote:
Fast C riders can compete in the B class and fast B riders can compete in the A class. There has always been some overlap in...
yz133rider wrote:
That makes sense, the one class I’m racing is 25+c and the other is called unlimited b/c it’s just an open class for b and c...
That makes sense, the one class I’m racing is 25+c and the other is called unlimited b/c it’s just an open class for b and c riders.

Have been Generally getting smoked in that class as I’m guessing really no other c class guys enter it.

I want to finish the series in these two classes as I haven’t done a whole series start to finish in like 10+ years. Next year def move to b as like you said if you can win In c it’s time for b.
Are you racing masters series? That’s what they call it in the series I run
ga_pike
7/19/2020 5:18pm
It's not about speed... it's about race craft.
Lowlander
7/19/2020 5:51pm
Strange how times change.

Not so long ago (10-15 years) everyone was trying their hardest to get into the next class. That was also in the days of genuine practice/qualifying and 25-40 rider gates. If I qualified in B's and was in my mind about an A rider or struggling with track conditions for example. I would always ask to be put on reserve for a spot if someone pulls out of A.

Was never that fast, but hated top see top 10 in the B class capable of top 20 A's and even more annoying top 3 B's running top 10 A pace. it certainly done me and loads of others out of a championship run of our own. Getting near the top 3 was damn near impossible unless your were genuinely national caliber.

Had tons of discussions in the past where we had come up with logical ways of forcing riders up or down classes such as points in a season/successive races, certain age groups etc.

Unfortunately could never convince the moto dads and sandbaggers to come to the party. Fell out of love for the sport in my late 20's and stopped racing.

Now playing enduro and trials. Still love moto though.

Just wish with all the transponder technology etc nowadays. A percentage gap could be defined from say mid class average lap and force riders in the class below up and riders in the class above down. Everybody should want the best racing they can. Not the most plastic trophies.
yz133rider
7/19/2020 6:04pm
Park Boys wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
That makes sense, the one class I’m racing is 25+c and the other is called unlimited b/c it’s just an open class for b and c...

Yessir!!!
7/19/2020 7:31pm
Park Boys wrote:
yz133rider wrote:

Congrats on your 1st moto win, great feeling isn,t it. If your not in a hurry to move up. Finish the series is a good idea. Maybe try to start next to the 2nd or 3rd place rider. You hv a better chance to run away from the pack then. I was in Allentown last week.
yz133rider
7/19/2020 7:34pm
Park Boys wrote:
yz133rider wrote:

Congrats on your 1st moto win, great feeling isn,t it. If your not in a hurry to move up. Finish the series is a good idea...
Congrats on your 1st moto win, great feeling isn,t it. If your not in a hurry to move up. Finish the series is a good idea. Maybe try to start next to the 2nd or 3rd place rider. You hv a better chance to run away from the pack then. I was in Allentown last week.
Dude thanks! Yes that was an unreal day am still pumped from it!! And it’s just a slow dopey local race can’t even imagine the feeling for the pros!!
7/19/2020 7:57pm
yz133rider wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
Yessir!!!
Haha nice I ride 25+b and did unlimited b/c at tomahawk, though I couldn’t do the last moto of unlimited, I was beat lol
7/19/2020 8:58pm
C- class is pretty gnarly these days. if you're consistently top 3 then you'll have no problem doing well in B-class. I've always found its better to ride in a class with faster guys tho.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
7/19/2020 9:47pm
yz133rider wrote:

Congrats on your 1st moto win, great feeling isn,t it. If your not in a hurry to move up. Finish the series is a good idea...
yz133rider wrote:
Dude thanks! Yes that was an unreal day am still pumped from it!! And it’s just a slow dopey local race can’t even imagine the feeling...
Dude thanks! Yes that was an unreal day am still pumped from it!! And it’s just a slow dopey local race can’t even imagine the feeling for the pros!!
The best feeling you will ever have will be winning in the C class. The more you win and the faster you go you will then expect to win and want it more but it doesn't feel any better than the first C class wins. Then the first time you finish in the money in the A class and you get your cash and spend it getting food and gas on the way home you feel cheated and learn the track promoters are not very good at math. WoohooWhistlingPinch

Post a reply to: Speed gap between c class to b class to a class

The Latest