Specifics

JAFO92
Edited Date/Time 5/29/2016 6:48am

Okay Vital Intelligentsia, please tell me specifically what "updating" the "outdated" Suzuki KRoc is stomping everyones ass needs? We keep hearing over and over how dated that bike is, excepting the stupid airforks, (one of the dumbest ideas since those dual mufflers on the Honda) what needs changing so it can gap the field further than the 13+ seconds it was already doing?

|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
5/28/2016 8:58pm
The Suzuki is great, just need to lighten it, put on an e-start and freshen up the plastics/ergos.
Trav138
5/28/2016 9:00pm
It has to be the plastics! If only Suzuki would update the damn plastics Ken could win by 45 seconds! Lol. Well I personally would like to see a huge weight loss on the RMZ, more than anything. The bike is fun and can be picked up now for cheap.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/28/2016 9:01pm
Can't really compare Kennys bike to showroom stuff. None the less, it needs to go on a diet and look better. But mostly they need to sell more bikes, looks like a bad bike because you never see em at the track.

The Shop

Zycki11
5/28/2016 9:04pm
From what i gathered from numerous interviews/shows. Kenny switched to the stock triple clamps for flex, a new shock linkage arm length for comfort in the rear, and Suzuki has come up with a new engine package that made the bike much better. Who knows though
cali11
5/28/2016 9:20pm
Honda should of just quite after the 1993 CR250R. What good is a new bike?
resetjet
5/28/2016 9:29pm
Comparing factory bikes to stock is rediculous. Not the same bike. Ken would have kicked everyones a$$ today on any bike. For sure he has that bike dialed in finally though.
JAFO92
5/28/2016 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2016 9:35pm
resetjet wrote:
Comparing factory bikes to stock is rediculous. Not the same bike. Ken would have kicked everyones a$$ today on any bike. For sure he has that...
Comparing factory bikes to stock is rediculous. Not the same bike. Ken would have kicked everyones a$$ today on any bike. For sure he has that bike dialed in finally though.
And how many amateurs ride a stock bike anywhere near its potential ? How is 'updating' the production bike gonna make Johnny Sixpack any faster when he cant ride the current model to anywhere near its ability?
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
5/28/2016 9:34pm
The Zook is the most underrated 450 on the marketIMHO. Overall, they are great bikes and are a very good value. And as for their weight, you don't ever notice the weight until you try to put it on the stand - but that means YOU need to get stronger. Riding it, you'd never know. And as for not seeing them at the track, I see plenty of them at the tracks here in AZ. I'd give it some new plastics, drop the air forks, maybe some better mapping out of the box, and call it a day. Great bikes.
Grizz
5/28/2016 9:48pm
Almost as if it's the rider and how comfortable they are on the bike rather than the brand. Weird!
Crush
5/28/2016 9:55pm
Ramrod wrote:
The Suzuki is great, just need to lighten it, put on an e-start and freshen up the plastics/ergos.
I'd guess his bike is a bit lighter than the one in my garage tho.
cwtoyota
5/29/2016 1:05am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2016 1:08am
resetjet wrote:
Comparing factory bikes to stock is rediculous. Not the same bike. Ken would have kicked everyones a$$ today on any bike. For sure he has that...
JAFO92 wrote:
And how many amateurs ride a stock bike anywhere near its potential ? How is 'updating' the production bike gonna make Johnny Sixpack any faster when...
And how many amateurs ride a stock bike anywhere near its potential ? How is 'updating' the production bike gonna make Johnny Sixpack any faster when he cant ride the current model to anywhere near its ability?
Not many amateurs can ride a 250F to it's potential, let alone a 450F.

Less weight and smoother power are the best things you can do to any 450F for joe-amateur.
Does the Suzuki come with a 270mm front brake yet? That would help too.

I am racing a 2002 YZ250 this year, I don't really see anything compelling about "updates".

Is the JAFO part of your username the acronym we used in the Marine Corps?
RG1
5/29/2016 1:18am
It's a good bike, that is clear, and although it doesn't need too many updates performance wise. A few updates might help them sell a bit more. When people are going to spend their hard earned money on a brand new bike, they want one that is brand new, not a newer version of a bike they could've bought in 2010
JAFO92
5/29/2016 6:48am
Some good suggestions here, thanks. I agree it never hurts to lighten things, but at the same time Ive seen safety go by the wayside in the name of weightloss (ie rifled bolts on sprint cars) and eventually race promoters had to implement weight rules to keep the racing safe and the costs from going even more insane. (ie tons of mega expensive titanium all over engine and chassis).

Also nothing wrong with insisting on good plastic and such, but I dont see where everyone gets that from. I have 3 Zooks and the plastic looks just fine on all three and to be quite honest IMHO yellow plastic looks new longer than any other color plastic.

Mapping the injection and engine tweaks are always a good idea to make power more manageable also. But we cant keep pushing that envelope to where its a computer chip winning racing instead of talent. (ie the debate on traction control on 4 wheel racing). These 4-strokes have already allowed unskilled riders to go faster than they really should be at times and given them a false sense of ability. Somewhere along the way you should have some talent that makes you go fast so you dont end up in a helicopter ride.

The main point is that I keep hearing all these websites and magazines refer to the Suzuki as "dated" and "needs updating" and Im just scratching my head asking why the hell does that bike need updating when people who have skill can kick major ass on the bike as it is? "If it aint broke,,,,,," From my viewpoint, the entire dirt bike community is so caught up in the notion you hafta change something every few years, or the bike gets labeled as inferior because the OEM didnt make some radical change and only put on different graphics and a few tweaks. I think what Im learning is that the average Joe Sixpack dirtbike guy isnt as bright as people in the other motorsport genres and are much easier to bullshit with snake oil and hype. Because folks with any functioning brain cells at all can see that yellow bike is a badass machine just as it sits right now.

Post a reply to: Specifics

The Latest