Specialized extreme mud bike

just James
Since there seems to be one of those total mud races every few years, I would think that the top teams would carry some bike parts specifically prepared for it. Things like a low compression motor which would generate a lot less heat, and super sized radiators with widely spaced cooling fins to shed some of the mud.
Would seem like a real advantage in deep mud.
|
TeamGreen
4/8/2018 10:01am
This was done a Long, Long time ago: Factory Rokon Racing
WVUpetro2013
4/8/2018 10:44am
TeamGreen wrote:
New idea for intermissions....Rokon challenge race.
TeamGreen
4/8/2018 11:02am
TeamGreen wrote:
New idea for intermissions....Rokon challenge race.
That's an awesome idea for a race like last-nights!

The Shop

4/8/2018 2:36pm
I've always thought I'd want a bike with lower suspension so I could paddle thru the whole thing and not tip over. Extra wide swingarm with lots of space between tire and arm.

What else?

My first MX race, in 1978, was a total mudder. I slid in behind someone at the start and had to stop and clear my goggles. Everyone had piled up in the first turn, so I went around and suddenly was leading my first race! I made it 1/2 way around and then got stuck. Had to leave my RM125 standing in the middle of the track. Eventually, another 125 made it past and got stuck 100 yards later. No 250 made a full lap. Finally, in the open class, a guy on a big more Maico did a couple of laps.
agn5009
4/8/2018 3:17pm
Is a bike like say the KTM 450 XCF permitted in a SX race? I would think the XCF with a radiator fan and rekluse clutch would have done wonders for a guy like Musquin or Tickle last night. I know it would never happen, just generally curious if it would be allowed.
WVUpetro2013
4/8/2018 4:23pm
agn5009 wrote:
Is a bike like say the KTM 450 XCF permitted in a SX race? I would think the XCF with a radiator fan and rekluse clutch...
Is a bike like say the KTM 450 XCF permitted in a SX race? I would think the XCF with a radiator fan and rekluse clutch would have done wonders for a guy like Musquin or Tickle last night. I know it would never happen, just generally curious if it would be allowed.
I wouldn’t see why it would not qualify, unless there is a rule against 18” rear wheels or something specific to that machine. They should not have any issues with meeting the homolgation rules, I wouldn’t think.
APLMAN99
4/8/2018 4:33pm
I wouldn’t see why it would not qualify, unless there is a rule against 18” rear wheels or something specific to that machine. They should not...
I wouldn’t see why it would not qualify, unless there is a rule against 18” rear wheels or something specific to that machine. They should not have any issues with meeting the homolgation rules, I wouldn’t think.
You'd have to get it homologated in advance. There's an application process and KTM hasn't seen a reason to do it so far.
WVUpetro2013
4/8/2018 4:37pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
You'd have to get it homologated in advance. There's an application process and KTM hasn't seen a reason to do it so far.
Good call, I did not realize it had to be done in advance.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
4/8/2018 4:58pm
agn5009 wrote:
Is a bike like say the KTM 450 XCF permitted in a SX race? I would think the XCF with a radiator fan and rekluse clutch...
A lot easier just to stick a bigger radiator, a fan, and a rekluse on an SX-F. Which is what they do. I guarantee you they were running the biggest radiators that would fit.
agn5009
4/8/2018 6:09pm
agn5009 wrote:
TriRacer27 wrote:
A lot easier just to stick a bigger radiator, a fan, and a rekluse on an SX-F. Which is what they do. I guarantee you they...
A lot easier just to stick a bigger radiator, a fan, and a rekluse on an SX-F. Which is what they do. I guarantee you they were running the biggest radiators that would fit.
You think they all had fans? I have ridden some pretty serious stuff with a fan and haven't over heated the bike.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
4/8/2018 6:15pm
i know some bikes have had fans for the outdoors fitted,

i would guess going back to a stock motor with less compression would help last the mud races as well,

Post a reply to: Specialized extreme mud bike

The Latest