Southwick bad news

Pdub
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 11:06pm
Holy crap, did you see that bit that GuyB reported from Saturday practice? Gave me the friggin' chills... check out [url]http://www.vitalmx.com/features/Vital-Buzz-Southwick,1497[/url] the Vital Buzz...
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/12/2007 1:34pm
I try to cover it all the best I can Pdub, the good and bad.
Mutt
6/12/2007 3:41pm
GuyB wrote:
I just typed a thirty minute reply to this thread and it went poof!
Mutt
6/12/2007 4:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
GuyB wrote:
Mutt wrote:
Alright, I'm going to try this again, but I'll copy it before hitting submit this time.

Mr. GuyBerson,

I applaud your journalistic integrity for reporting the good with the bad. It raises this site above the fluff that almost every other motocross centered media publishes.

It's very unfortunate that some of low character would attempt to disrupt James in the middle of a race. Although, it has been alleged that James may harbor some racially inspired hatred of his own. Now, questioning this would take some journalistic integrity, nevermind a set of brass testicles.

James has ended interviews with the closing, \"Peace God\". While this may seem innocuous in and of itself, it's when I learned the relativity to the 5%'er community (I'm going to refrain from referring to this group as a religion) that I became troubled. These 5%'ers openly advocate the extermination of the white race and commonly refer to caucasians as \"White Devils\". If this wasn't alarming enough, there is also great significance to the use of the number seven amongst 5%'ers. Is there any relevance as to why James finally submitted and surrendered his beloved 259?

Hopefully, this is just some grave coincidences, or something he picked up with his association of those actively involved in black-centric entertainment. Although, since I moved to North Carolina from New Mexico, I've more than witnessed that racial hatred is a two way street. Well, it's actually more like a multi-lane four way intersection devoid of any traffic signals. How I miss the West and its culture.

It would be interesting to read James' reply to any questions regarding his belief, association, or membership with these so called 5%'ers.

Post edited by: Mutt, at: 6/13/2007 2:19 AM

Post edited by: Mutt, at: 6/13/2007 2:23 AM
Pdub
6/12/2007 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
GuyB wrote:
Mutt wrote:
Mutt wrote:
Alright, I'm going to try this again, but I'll copy it before hitting submit this time. Mr. GuyBerson, I applaud your journalistic integrity for reporting the...
Alright, I'm going to try this again, but I'll copy it before hitting submit this time.

Mr. GuyBerson,

I applaud your journalistic integrity for reporting the good with the bad. It raises this site above the fluff that almost every other motocross centered media publishes.

It's very unfortunate that some of low character would attempt to disrupt James in the middle of a race. Although, it has been alleged that James may harbor some racially inspired hatred of his own. Now, questioning this would take some journalistic integrity, nevermind a set of brass testicles.

James has ended interviews with the closing, \"Peace God\". While this may seem innocuous in and of itself, it's when I learned the relativity to the 5%'er community (I'm going to refrain from referring to this group as a religion) that I became troubled. These 5%'ers openly advocate the extermination of the white race and commonly refer to caucasians as \"White Devils\". If this wasn't alarming enough, there is also great significance to the use of the number seven amongst 5%'ers. Is there any relevance as to why James finally submitted and surrendered his beloved 259?

Hopefully, this is just some grave coincidences, or something he picked up with his association of those actively involved in black-centric entertainment. Although, since I moved to North Carolina from New Mexico, I've more than witnessed that racial hatred is a two way street. Well, it's actually more like a multi-lane four way intersection devoid of any traffic signals. How I miss the West and its culture.

It would be interesting to read James' reply to any questions regarding his belief, association, or membership with these so called 5%'ers.

Hey Mutt, how's it going?

Point of clarification: I believe that photo was snapped during Saturday practice, not a race.

Regarding 5%ers, all I know about them I learned because YOU brought up the subject over at Hammertime's board and got banned. I had to find out wtf you were banned, so I googled them. All of a sudden, what seemed like lingo specific to some New York-based hip hop types became rife with hidden messages. Rather than become alarmed, I reflected on my own (severely limited) experiences with the Nation of Islam.

And here they are: I read \"The Autobiography of Malcolm X\", I purchased a \"Final Call\" newspaper from a dude in a bowtie on a street corner; I may have eaten a bean pie (pretty tasty, surprisingly enough). I saw Farrakhan speak and was highly amused. But it wasn't until I read \"Message to the Black Man\" by Elijah Muhammed that I thought, \"Jeezus, these guys are nuts!\" Tongue

So, I understand your concern, but unless you are seriously advocating that motojournalists... from this point forward... ask ALL racers to reveal their religious and socio-political beliefs as a matter of course, then it doesn't really matter what James believes in, as long as he keeps it to himself. Uttering two words such as \"Peace God\" is hardly the cause for alarm, in and of itself, and it is certainly not a flagrant demonstration of disrespect or hate for anyone.

The Shop

eurohero
6/12/2007 5:05pm
GuyB wrote:
Mutt wrote:
Mutt wrote:
Alright, I'm going to try this again, but I'll copy it before hitting submit this time. Mr. GuyBerson, I applaud your journalistic integrity for reporting the...

Mr. GuyBerson,

This attachment/coincidence you speak of is questionable at best. Whatever happened to giving someone the benfit of the doubt or even innocent till proven guilty. Kind of thoughtless to even post that kind of thing about anyone, especially someone you don't know personally. The sad part realy, is that Stewart and his friends/family have probably had at least one hater at every track they have been to since they started riding. Could you blame him even if he was a bit opinionated/biased about certain people. By the research/posting you've done, you look like you fall into the same category. Treqading on thin ice accusing people of being racist in my opinion.
Mutt
6/12/2007 5:20pm
Mutt wrote:
Mutt wrote:

Mr. GuyBerson,

Pdub wrote:
Hey Mutt, how's it going? Point of clarification: I believe that photo was snapped during Saturday practice, not a race. Regarding 5%ers, all I know about...

Point of clarification: I believe that photo was snapped during Saturday practice, not a race.

Regarding 5%ers, all I know about them I learned because YOU brought up the subject over at Hammertime's board and got banned. I had to find out wtf you were banned, so I googled them. All of a sudden, what seemed like lingo specific to some New York-based hip hop types became rife with hidden messages. Rather than become alarmed, I reflected on my own (severely limited) experiences with the Nation of Islam.

And here they are: I read \"The Autobiography of Malcolm X\", I purchased a \"Final Call\" newspaper from a dude in a bowtie on a street corner; I may have eaten a bean pie (pretty tasty, surprisingly enough). I saw Farrakhan speak and was highly amused. But it wasn't until I read \"Message to the Black Man\" by Elijah Muhammed that I thought, \"Jeezus, these guys are nuts!\" Tongue

So, I understand your concern, but unless you are seriously advocating that motojournalists... from this point forward... ask ALL racers to reveal their religious and socio-political beliefs as a matter of course, then it doesn't really matter what James believes in, as long as he keeps it to himself. Uttering two words such as \"Peace God\" is hardly the cause for alarm, in and of itself, and it is certainly not a flagrant demonstration of disrespect or hate for anyone.
Paul,

I wasn't banned from Hammertime's forum. As an Admin, I deleted myself. As you've known me for some time, I'm sure you're familiar with my stand on Free Speech and censorship. The reason I deleted myself, was the closed mindedness of Hammertime himself. The 5% thread on that forum wasn't an attack or a cesspool of bigotry. Rick will not allow any discussion of anything that remotely resembles or has any racial overtones. While it's my opinion that open dialogue creates diversity. Having your head in the sand has never resolved anything.

My intent is not character assassination, it's to get to the heart of the matter. If James is a member of this community, his fan base surely deserves to know that and the prejuidice that comes with it. If his use of this lingo is only picked up from others and a part of popular hip hop culture, so be it.

Are you coming to the MXDN? I'd like to imbibe in a frosty beverage of your choice and chat with you if so. Although, I really haven't decided if I'll attend or not, but being it's so close to my home how can I miss it?

Mutt
Mutt
6/12/2007 5:27pm
Mutt wrote:
Mutt wrote:

Mr. GuyBerson,

eurohero wrote:
This attachment/coincidence you speak of is questionable at best. Whatever happened to giving someone the benfit of the doubt or even innocent till proven guilty. Kind...
This attachment/coincidence you speak of is questionable at best. Whatever happened to giving someone the benfit of the doubt or even innocent till proven guilty. Kind of thoughtless to even post that kind of thing about anyone, especially someone you don't know personally. The sad part realy, is that Stewart and his friends/family have probably had at least one hater at every track they have been to since they started riding. Could you blame him even if he was a bit opinionated/biased about certain people. By the research/posting you've done, you look like you fall into the same category. Treqading on thin ice accusing people of being racist in my opinion.
EuroHero,

Many riders discuss their religous beliefs with journalists. It's almost become commonplace to hear a rider give props to Jesus while on the podium. I've read in numerous U.S. publications about riders beliefs, bible study attendance etc; It's not the religion I'm questioning, it is the climate of hate within this community.

Let me ask you this, if it were suspected that Matt Walker (or any other rider, I'm just using Matt 'cause he's from the South and well, you know) was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, wouldn't you be calling for his head? That would be clearly unacceptable. James' speech and symbolism has pointed that he may have some allegiance to this hate group.

Hate is hate, prejuidice is prejuidice, and both come in many forms and colors.

Post edited by: Mutt, at: 6/13/2007 3:31 AM
Mutt
6/12/2007 6:12pm
Mutt wrote:

Mr. GuyBerson,

eurohero wrote:
This attachment/coincidence you speak of is questionable at best. Whatever happened to giving someone the benfit of the doubt or even innocent till proven guilty. Kind...
Mutt wrote:
EuroHero, Many riders discuss their religous beliefs with journalists. It's almost become commonplace to hear a rider give props to Jesus while on the podium. I've...
EuroHero,

Many riders discuss their religous beliefs with journalists. It's almost become commonplace to hear a rider give props to Jesus while on the podium. I've read in numerous U.S. publications about riders beliefs, bible study attendance etc; It's not the religion I'm questioning, it is the climate of hate within this community.

Let me ask you this, if it were suspected that Matt Walker (or any other rider, I'm just using Matt 'cause he's from the South and well, you know) was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, wouldn't you be calling for his head? That would be clearly unacceptable. James' speech and symbolism has pointed that he may have some allegiance to this hate group.

It was fun checking in, but this place is dead.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/12/2007 6:26pm
eurohero wrote:
Mutt wrote:
EuroHero, Many riders discuss their religous beliefs with journalists. It's almost become commonplace to hear a rider give props to Jesus while on the podium. I've...
EuroHero,

Mutt wrote:
Hey, Mutt. I can't say that I'm always in synch with your idea of fun.

I also can't really say that I'm really very interested in James' religious beliefs. I usually consider that up to each individual to choose, and share or not share as they see fit.
Mutt
6/12/2007 6:43pm
Mutt wrote:
EuroHero,

Mutt wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Hey, Mutt. I can't say that I'm always in synch with your idea of fun. I also can't really say that I'm really very interested in...

I also can't really say that I'm really very interested in James' religious beliefs. I usually consider that up to each individual to choose, and share or not share as they see fit.
GuyB wrote:

Steve, I'm trying to leave my internet trouble making behind me, sir. If that is possible.

It's not the religous belief, it's the hatred that comes with it. Evidently by reading your prose about the Southwick occurrence you were truly offended, would you not be just as offended if you found that James also held such bigoted beliefs? If the answer is no, that in itself is a form of prejuidice.

Ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away. Open dialogue is truly the answer. I'm having a, hopefully, intelligent conversation about racism. That doesn't make me a racist. I carpool to work with two other guys. One is African American and the other Mexican, you should hear our conversations.

Oh well.

Post edited by: Mutt, at: 6/13/2007 4:44 AM
Mike Bierman
6/12/2007 6:53pm
Mutt wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Hey, Mutt. I can't say that I'm always in synch with your idea of fun. I also can't really say that I'm really very interested in...

Mutt wrote:
[b]GuyB wrote:[/b] [quote]Hey, Mutt. I can't say that I'm always in synch with your idea of fun. [/quote] Steve, I'm trying to leave my internet trouble...
GuyB wrote:

Steve, I'm trying to leave my internet trouble making behind me, sir. If that is possible.

It's not the religous belief, it's the hatred that comes with it. Evidently by reading your prose about the Southwick occurrence you were truly offended, would you not be just as offended if you found that James also held such bigoted beliefs? If the answer is no, that in itself is a form of prejuidice.

Ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away. Open dialogue is truly the answer. I'm having a, hopefully, intelligent conversation about racism. That doesn't make me a racist. I carpool to work with two other guys. One is African American and the other Mexican, you should hear our conversations.

Oh well.

Post edited by: Mutt, at: 6/13/2007 4:44 AM
People should never hate because of skin color.

It's so much better when you actually spend time with someone, and find so many other real reasons, to hate them !

To me James Stewart, is a motorcycle racer...nothing more, nothing less, nothing different !
Pdub
6/12/2007 11:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
Mutt wrote:

Mr. GuyBerson,

eurohero wrote:
Mutt wrote:
EuroHero,

Hey Mutt, I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it, but it's my intention to be there to cheer on Team USA! I've got a bud who lives pretty close to the track, so it's up to me to figure out a way to get back across the country... it'll be my third cross-country trip in a year where the budget only covers two! In any case, I'd love to share a cold one (or three) with ya! I'll keep ya posted.

Here's my thinking about the example you gave eurohero: If I somehow suspected that Matt Walker was a card-carrying Klan member, it would make me think less of him for sure, but it would also confuse me because Walker's actions in and around motocross have not been consistent with someone involved with hate groups. If Matt suddenly started using \"coded\" language in his interviews and started wearing White Power gear to autograph signings at the track, then I would think that action would be appropriate.

But here's the thing: if he kept it private and away from the sport, then I don't think it's the type of thing that the enthusiast media needs to investigate. At some point, we have to give up on the idea of empowering thought police, lest we ALL be identified as criminals.

I feel like I understand your concern, Mutt, and I definitely recognize that you believe in free speech. I just don't think this is a free speech issue. Correct me if I'm am wrong, but it seems to me that you believe you have noticed \"coded language\" coming from James that might indicate that he's at least sympathetic with this offshoot of the Nation of Islam. I don't think that his use of the phrase \"Peace God\" is enough evidence.

Heck, when I was more of a hip hop fan, I would sometimes use the phrase \"Word is Bond\", and I NEVER knew it had anything to do with 5%ers until I did that google search. To tell the truth, I think the whole thing is goofy.
eurohero
6/13/2007 7:57am
eurohero wrote:
Mutt wrote:
EuroHero,

Pdub wrote:
Hey Mutt, I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it, but it's my intention to be there to cheer on Team USA! I've got a bud...
Hey Mutt, I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it, but it's my intention to be there to cheer on Team USA! I've got a bud who lives pretty close to the track, so it's up to me to figure out a way to get back across the country... it'll be my third cross-country trip in a year where the budget only covers two! In any case, I'd love to share a cold one (or three) with ya! I'll keep ya posted.

Here's my thinking about the example you gave eurohero: If I somehow suspected that Matt Walker was a card-carrying Klan member, it would make me think less of him for sure, but it would also confuse me because Walker's actions in and around motocross have not been consistent with someone involved with hate groups. If Matt suddenly started using \"coded\" language in his interviews and started wearing White Power gear to autograph signings at the track, then I would think that action would be appropriate.

But here's the thing: if he kept it private and away from the sport, then I don't think it's the type of thing that the enthusiast media needs to investigate. At some point, we have to give up on the idea of empowering thought police, lest we ALL be identified as criminals.

I feel like I understand your concern, Mutt, and I definitely recognize that you believe in free speech. I just don't think this is a free speech issue. Correct me if I'm am wrong, but it seems to me that you believe you have noticed \"coded language\" coming from James that might indicate that he's at least sympathetic with this offshoot of the Nation of Islam. I don't think that his use of the phrase \"Peace God\" is enough evidence.

Heck, when I was more of a hip hop fan, I would sometimes use the phrase \"Word is Bond\", and I NEVER knew it had anything to do with 5%ers until I did that google search. To tell the truth, I think the whole thing is goofy.
Mutt,

I would not question any religion, group or following of any rider or any person as long as it was not being pushed on anyone else. If a rider were to show up with a custom painted helmet in the form of a confederate flag, I would disagree. That same rider wants to wear that helmet on his his property/track with no media or fans around, so be it. If a certain rider has certain beliefs, let that rider come out with them. Until then, I just don't think it's fair to speculate. Crazy as it sounds, let the sport police something like this. If a rider was dropping racial slurs at a race or on tv, the AMA and the promoters would step in, at some point at least. Using my helmet example, I don't think a rider would make it out onto the track with that, just guessing though. If this issue expsoses itself, then it should be addressed. Until then, I don't think journalists or fans should make something out of nothing.
motobro
8/8/2007 1:10pm
Mutt wrote:
Mutt wrote:

Mr. GuyBerson,

Pdub wrote:
Hey Mutt, how's it going? Point of clarification: I believe that photo was snapped during Saturday practice, not a race. Regarding 5%ers, all I know about...

Post edited by: motobro, at: 8/13/2007 9:25 PM
motobro
8/8/2007 1:27pm
Mutt wrote:

Mr. GuyBerson,

Pdub wrote:

motobro wrote:

Post edited by: motobro, at: 8/13/2007 9:25 PM
there is ignorance on both sides ( black & white) 4now we have 2 deal with it , but come-on not at the races. there are other places to show your a-- and its not at family gatherings.

Post edited by: motobro, at: 8/8/2007 11:31 PM

Post a reply to: Southwick bad news

The Latest